As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPhone 5 announcment today, stay tuned for all nerds posting about it all at once in here

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    hey I'm going to be "that Android guy" again
    iMessage is the biggest fuck you to the carriers ever

you mean, since Google Voice?

iMessage is baked in, tied directly to your iTunes account (which you probably already had if you bought music ever in the past 10 or so years)

How many people do you think ported their number over to GV? If they didn't, you've got to text a separate number, etc. It might have been there sooner, but it's far from a great or well-integrated experience (I actually use GV Mobile+ on iOS, I bought it back when it was a jailbreak app on iOS!)

Once again, the nerd/layperson distinction. Google Voice was around for (IIRC) years before iMessage, and I remember Blackberry messenger being advertised well before iMessage came out, but it wasn't until after iMessage hit that the carriers started forcing everyone onto unlimited texting plans.

Are you trying to say there isn't a distinction between a person who knows what the hell Google Voice is and one who doesn't? Really?

As for Blackberry Messenger...RIM's circling the drain, so you can see how concerned the carriers were about it.

iMessage completely bypasses the carriers regarding SMS and MMS, and again, I'm not saying it was there first, but the way it was an 'Oh by the way' after the announcements for iOS 5 is what I mean by admiring the 'fuck you' to the carriers. Apple didn't bother letting any of the carriers know they were about to remove a healthy chunk of their SMS/MMS business.

After updating to iOS 5, literally millions of phones (and iPads!) suddenly had free texting and MMS, without any real work on the users part. Can Google Voice claim the same? (I guess maybe that deal with Sprint they had could count?)

edit: I'm also not saying iMessage is perfect, one of the weird quirks it would have is alerting all of your iMessage-enabled devices at the same time when you received a message, and continuing to do so, even though you answered from one device. I think they've mostly worked that out though and it figures out what device you're chatting on and just starts sending the messages to it. Not to mention the messages carry over from one device to another! (though I hear iMessage on OSX is still a disaster)

...i was agreeing with you. chill out.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    A bit of a problem?

How many of those devices can run Jellybean, or ICS, for that matter?
    It really doesn't matter. Much of the new functionality comes from google's apps. And those update back to like, 2.1 or even earlier. My Desire (I gave away) is running a 2.3.5 android and there is no app on the market I'd want on it that didn't run yet.

So to the "dumb end user" you talk about here, it doesn't matter fuck all. Their phones work flawlessly, they can install the same apps their friends can.. For them a switch to ICS would be almost cosmetic, and even worse if it's a low end phone.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    I love the size of my galaxy s2.

The iphone 4s is fuckin beautiful, but I don't know if I could go back down to a screen that size
    Imagine it with the S3 here, really... The iphone 4 looks like a children's toy next to it.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    I think the Nexus was like $800 sold unlocked

it's 350 on googles store
    A bit of a problem?

http://aokp.co/index.php/releases/_/build-40-r26

anything on that list can run build 40 of AOKP which is ICS with a few extra options unlocked

anything earlier than that just doesn't have the hardware/isn't used widely enough to warrant fucking around with it

asking about jellybean is a dumb question, we haven't seen source code for it yet so the only thing running it is the gnex (and that, poorly, because again: hasn't officially been released)

it's like asking what runs iOS whatever-version-is-in-beta

edit: also the device is just old and nobody's buying it anymore and it's EOLed just like with the carrier, they actually announced they're dropping a couple HTC phones and the Fire today

3GS, 4, 4S, iPad 2 & 3. Oh and the iPhone 5, when its announced. And maybe the iPad mini if it materializes.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular

A bit of a problem?

anything on that list can run build 40 of AOKP which is ICS with a few extra options unlocked

anything earlier than that just doesn't have the hardware/isn't used widely enough to warrant fucking around with it

asking about jellybean is a dumb question, we haven't seen source code for it yet so the only thing running it is the gnex (and that, poorly, because again: hasn't officially been released)

edit: also the device is just old and nobody's buying it anymore and it's EOLed just like with the carrier, they actually announced they're dropping a couple HTC phones and the Fire today

3GS, 4, 4S, iPad 2 & 3. Oh and the iPhone 5, when its announced. And maybe the iPad mini if it materializes.

Which is still a dumb thing to say because as he said Jellybean isn't even really developer released yet

As an avid apple fan boy who owns pretty much every apple related

You need to take a step back and breathe, man.

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    imessage is super annoying when you decide to use it on another device and then it forgets to send back to your phone when you're done

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Let's all just chill out and not argue about this shit.

And talk about how good full tower windows PCs are!!

(nobody read me and Uriel's last page or so of posts)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular

A bit of a problem?

While accurate, only two of those devices can utilize the entirety of iOS6.

• Options
    Tef wrote: »

NO PCs ALLOWED

you may have one (1) pc

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i have almost completely decided to get the new nexus when my renewal comes up

unless the iphone 5 is made out of handjobs

• Options
    F-for everyone to use or one each?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    In other news, my new place has hard wired Ethernet ports and a dedicated theatre room.

Gonna get silly up in here with my tech purchases

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    there is one PC allowed for this thread

it will be an iTunes device

• Options
    Aww nuts

Well I'm going to bed and if you geese get this thread locked there will be heck to pay

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    did you mean hell

because there's only one other word for hell

(symbian)

(/smug)

• Options
    THIS WILL BE ON YOUR HEAD MIKE

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

Full tower PCs are excellent foot rests when you have raised desks.

Oh, I finally bought a Core i3 2120 and a motherboard.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    After this summer I will be without a desktop pc for the first time since I was... Like, 11.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    HEH, see you say that but

*winks, hops into convertible and peels off down the road. drifts around corner, gets that bitch up on two wheels*

*doesn't know where to go from there, because turn-by-turn navigation isn't supported in a phone that came out this decade for some reason*

• Options

*winks, hops into convertible and peels off down the road. drifts around corner, gets that bitch up on two wheels*

*doesn't know where to go from there, because turn-by-turn navigation isn't supported in a phone that came out this decade for some reason*

*BUT IT IS NOW*

• Options
    God I am about as in love with the S3 as you can be with a piece of tech. It's beautiful, fast, has a huge battery, the camera is great.. I got the one with "only" 16 GB internal memory, but that's a godsend compared to the 380-ish the Desire had after installing a custom rom, and with the 32GB microsd card.. So far 48 GB have been enough.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »

*BUT IT IS NOW*

Oh, did they change that for iphone 4?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    God I am about as in love with the S3 as you can be with a piece of tech. It's beautiful, fast, has a huge battery, the camera is great.. I got the one with "only" 16 GB internal memory, but that's a godsend compared to the 380-ish the Desire had after installing a custom rom, and with the 32GB microsd card.. So far 48 GB have been enough.

wally you are making the wait for mine to come interminable

:rotate:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    T4CT wrote: »

*BUT IT IS NOW*

Oh, did they change that for iphone 4?

oh

no

get a new phone peasant

• Options

Interestingly, this has never been a problem because I am not a small child and can generally get myself someplace just fine on my own

Y'all kids rely too much on this space age techno junk!!!!

(thank god they're updating maps finally)

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Naphtali wrote: »

wally you are making the wait for mine to come interminable

:rotate:
    Tell me how you like it after a few days! Especially the battery, want to know whether that's just my imagination or whether it really is that much of a difference.
    Which one are you getting, US version?

Also

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/6/3141926/galaxy-nexus-ban-temporarily-suspended-while-appeals-court-issues

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    yeah, I'm in the US of A so we're getting the dual core version

what do you mean about the battery? are you referring to this?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Naphtali wrote: »
    yeah, I'm in the US of A so we're getting the dual core version

what do you mean about the battery? are you referring to this?
    huh, no. I meant that it lasts for ages. so far I haven't noticed a short battery life, and cell standby is always very low in the list. will have a look at it later today though

Edit:
    This mod will fix the wrong reporting of "cell stand by "usage to some extent. If your mobile has actual drain due to signal issues or some other issues do not blame me or any other for not fixing this.

it seems this is only a reporting issue anyways, as the thread on xda seems to indicate. so you should not see a lower battery life through this

Edit2: Nice how the original article completely misunderstands the point :P

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    well, with a 2100 mAh battery I should hope it lasts for ages. glad to hear that's the case

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

A bit of a problem?

so the current gen, the previous gen (to a limited extent), and tablets

and the next gen that hasn't been announced yet

why does that sound so familiar

(it's because this is how android works, there just happen to be more phones not included in the previous gen category because there are way more phones to begin with)

Buttlord on
  • Options
    Augh you green texts just can't understand

• Options
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Sweet. I finally got cyanogenmod running on my Pandigital Novel (thanks to the Slatedroid forums). Now I have Froyo on it! (It was super cheap, shut up. Also, I won't cry if I brick it messing with the firmware.)

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Cyanogenmod is great stuff

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

THANK YOU. Jeez they just don't understaaaaand.

• Options

It's like green texts are some sort of lesser person

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Interestingly, this has never been a problem because I am not a small child and can generally get myself someplace just fine on my own

Y'all kids rely too much on this space age techno junk!!!!

(thank god they're updating maps finally)

if it hadn't been for Google Nav, I would have gotten so lost in Seattle

I get lost very easily

• Options

It's like green texts are some sort of lesser person

they are

we've been over this

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Google nav has saved my butt in Atlanta a bunch. I mostly just stick to maps these days though.

Also so excited for a nexus 7 even though I really can't afford it

edit: lack of expandable memory is unfortunate though

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    I just used Uber in Seattle

Uber is awesome.

This discussion has been closed.