As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ralph Nader Appreciation Thread [Cars]

• Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    Real Lambos say Ferrari on them. That way they don't suck so much, and look like the 458 Italia.

Except the Aventador. Not that it looks amazing or anything, but 690hp counts for something.

krush wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    So... I've been contemplating another project sports car since I had to sell my beloved, Corvette/Viper/Ferrari killing 300ZX TT last year due to extended unemployment. However, I'm looking at something a bit more interesting... Something you don't necessarily look at and think "That's a fast ass car!". Under current consideration are:

1. Buy a 87+ Porsche 944 Turbo S and give it a 340HP (at the wheels) massage courtesy of the fine parts over at Lindsey Racing.
    2. Tune the shit out of a 3rd Gen Toyota Supra. I'm not sure what it would take to get it into the 12 second range, and that's my hesitation.
    3. The oddball as it requires two cars: Find an '87 or '88 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, extract it's engine (2.3L I4 Turbo/Intercooled) and drop it into an early 90's Mustang LX 4cyl notch back. The 2.3L Turbo can be tuned to deliver around 400HP. Add a better suspension, old-school Saleen kit (if I can find one), and a 2.3 badge where the 5.0 badge would normally be and take it to the track.

4. I've considered an old Nissan S12 Turbo (200SX in the States, Silvia elsewhere), of vintage 85+ 'cause the '84's didn't have IRS, and either building out the original (for the US) CA18ET, or dropping a different engine in it and modding the hell out of it. Expense and the unknown are what's really keeping me from going this direction 'cause my target is another 12 second car and I'm not sure if I can get it out of this thing without spending enough money to buy a used Lotus or NSX.

Heh, I've actually got an 86 turbo in my garage, I started a KA swap on it and never finished because the CA18ET blew a headgasket among other issues, and it's pretty much impossible to get parts for.

Super cool car overall, I wish I had the time, expertise, and motivation to actually finish it but I'm pretty sure the KA seized after sitting (won't hand crank at all, even with a massive breaker bar). I keep telling myself I'll do something with it though, it is... so 80s, I love it. Awesome digital dish, voice warnings, so cool.

EDIT: If you do go with the S12, you've got pretty much the same options that every s13 has. KA isn't supposed to be very tough, SR is similar. I imagine you could beef up a single cam VG30 and run with it since they came with them in 87 and 88 but I think the dual would be... really tight.

I've seen a pic of an S12 that came with the VG30E where the owner installed a VG30DE from a 300ZX in it. Don't know if it ran or not and the fit was very tight.

VG30DETT_S12_01.jpg

found a VG30DETT in an S12...

The KA's are good engines to turbo, I don't know why all the S13/S14 guys insist on getting the SR20, swapping it, and then dropping a turbo on it when the KA24DE is perfectly capable.

Putting a V6 in there is retarded, The rb25det swap would make so much more sense. But that would probably be easier in an s13 or 14.

I vote for an FC/FD with a 3 rotor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSiuGLSmOHQ Not an RX-7, but who cares.

In the US, and ONLY in the US (not even Japan got this variant), the Nissan 200SX (S12) got a slightly detuned n/a VG30E from the 300ZX of the same vintage in the 200SX SE model (87 and 88) to replace the CA18ET. That was a huge improvement over the old 1.8L turbo we had.

• Options
    Yeah, I assume lamborghini just doesn't want to make good looking cars anymore because they'd look too much like other high end cars. The body of the current lineup is so distinctive that the average person probably wouldn't think, damn, dat lambo if they saw a modern miura, they'd think, weird, why'd somebody put a lambo sticker on a vette.

Also, as much as I love Ferrari's, the FF looks awful.

Ferrari has been losing it in my eye. I don't get as excited when I see the newer models as I would if I ran across a Testarossa, 348, or 456.

Hell... I'd raise my eye more to a Mondial than an FF.

of course, an F40, F50, or 288GTO would drop my jaw.

• Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    Eh. Who cared about the FF. and the 458 looks amazing.

Real Lambos say Ferrari on them. That way they don't suck so much, and look like the 458 Italia.

Except the Aventador. Not that it looks amazing or anything, but 690hp counts for something.

So... I've been contemplating another project sports car since I had to sell my beloved, Corvette/Viper/Ferrari killing 300ZX TT last year due to extended unemployment. However, I'm looking at something a bit more interesting... Something you don't necessarily look at and think "That's a fast ass car!". Under current consideration are:

1. Buy a 87+ Porsche 944 Turbo S and give it a 340HP (at the wheels) massage courtesy of the fine parts over at Lindsey Racing.
    2. Tune the shit out of a 3rd Gen Toyota Supra. I'm not sure what it would take to get it into the 12 second range, and that's my hesitation.
    3. The oddball as it requires two cars: Find an '87 or '88 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, extract it's engine (2.3L I4 Turbo/Intercooled) and drop it into an early 90's Mustang LX 4cyl notch back. The 2.3L Turbo can be tuned to deliver around 400HP. Add a better suspension, old-school Saleen kit (if I can find one), and a 2.3 badge where the 5.0 badge would normally be and take it to the track.

4. I've considered an old Nissan S12 Turbo (200SX in the States, Silvia elsewhere), of vintage 85+ 'cause the '84's didn't have IRS, and either building out the original (for the US) CA18ET, or dropping a different engine in it and modding the hell out of it. Expense and the unknown are what's really keeping me from going this direction 'cause my target is another 12 second car and I'm not sure if I can get it out of this thing without spending enough money to buy a used Lotus or NSX.

Heh, I've actually got an 86 turbo in my garage, I started a KA swap on it and never finished because the CA18ET blew a headgasket among other issues, and it's pretty much impossible to get parts for.

Super cool car overall, I wish I had the time, expertise, and motivation to actually finish it but I'm pretty sure the KA seized after sitting (won't hand crank at all, even with a massive breaker bar). I keep telling myself I'll do something with it though, it is... so 80s, I love it. Awesome digital dish, voice warnings, so cool.

EDIT: If you do go with the S12, you've got pretty much the same options that every s13 has. KA isn't supposed to be very tough, SR is similar. I imagine you could beef up a single cam VG30 and run with it since they came with them in 87 and 88 but I think the dual would be... really tight.

I've seen a pic of an S12 that came with the VG30E where the owner installed a VG30DE from a 300ZX in it. Don't know if it ran or not and the fit was very tight.

VG30DETT_S12_01.jpg

The KA's are good engines to turbo, I don't know why all the S13/S14 guys insist on getting the SR20, swapping it, and then dropping a turbo on it when the KA24DE is perfectly capable.

Putting a V6 in there is retarded, The rb25det swap would make so much more sense. But that would probably be easier in an s13 or 14.

In the US, and ONLY in the US (not even Japan got this variant), the Nissan 200SX (S12) got a slightly detuned n/a VG30E from the 300ZX of the same vintage in the 200SX SE model (87 and 88) to replace the CA18ET. That was a huge improvement over the old 1.8L turbo we had.

Logical arguments be damned. If there's a straight six available, use it.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Is it just me or does the Ferrari FF look kind of like a Maserati?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Is it just me or does the Ferrari FF look kind of like a Scion FR-S?

fixed...

krush on
  • Options

VG30DETT_S12_01.jpg

V6, my friend, it's a V6. We were not worthy of Nissan straight-six vehicles.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    After communicating with the owner of a vehicle I am interested in, I state that I am concerned about the taxes (e.g., Oregon to Washington title transfer, etc.).

The owner tells me that that problem can be solved by simply adjusting the sale price on the bill of sale document.

How would that work?

If I am financing the vehicle and I inform my bank that I will be purchasing a vehicle for X amount of dollars, they will write me a check for that amount.

However, even if the owner writes a different amount on the bill of sale, I am still required to present this documentation to my bank.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

It shoudlnt be that surprising, theyre both owned by Fiat and Im like 80% sure Fiat just uses Maserati as its Ferrari budget brand.

• Options

VG30DETT_S12_01.jpg

V6, my friend, it's a V6. We were not worthy of Nissan straight-six vehicles.

No, back to my original suggestion. Rb25det.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Slider wrote: »
    After communicating with the owner of a vehicle I am interested in, I state that I am concerned about the taxes (e.g., Oregon to Washington title transfer, etc.).

The owner tells me that that problem can be solved by simply adjusting the sale price on the bill of sale document.

How would that work?

If I am financing the vehicle and I inform my bank that I will be purchasing a vehicle for X amount of dollars, they will write me a check for that amount.

However, even if the owner writes a different amount on the bill of sale, I am still required to present this documentation to my bank.

Don't see how that would work unless you were paying in cash. Anything else would leave a paper trail that could eventually be used against you, and doesn't even get into that some states will charge you tax on estimated market price just to keep people from trying to game the system.

• Options
    If the taxes are of a big concern to you, you might be spending too much on the vehicle.

• Options
    If the taxes are of a big concern to you, you might be spending too much on the vehicle.

^^^ This.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

How would that work?

It won't work. A quick check shows that Washington uses the average fair market price for determining sales tax on a car. You can get it lowered but you'll need to get an appraisal saying it's worth less, or an estimate of repairs.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »

It shoudlnt be that surprising, theyre both owned by Fiat and Im like 80% sure Fiat just uses Maserati as its Ferrari budget brand.

Welllll that explains that. I had no idea that Fiat owned both Ferrari and Maserati. I've never really kept up with who owns what.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Fiat owns Lancia, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Ferrari and a 20% stake in Chrysler. Volkswagen owns Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and Ducati.

• Options
    Fiat owns all that and they bring us the 500. Yay.

• Options
    Fiat owns all that and they bring us the 500. Yay.

Chrysler once had an arrangement with Fiat to bring Alfa's to the States. All we got was the 164, not that this was a bad thing, but there could have been so much more to that deal. Woulda been awesome if we could have seen the Alfa SZ stateside.

sz_30_1991_450.jpg

• Options
    I know! And the 159 looks so sweet, just stick a Chrysler badge on it and bring it over.

• Options

It was just a hypothetical.

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

How would that work?

It won't work. A quick check shows that Washington uses the average fair market price for determining sales tax on a car. You can get it lowered but you'll need to get an appraisal saying it's worth less, or an estimate of repairs.

Ah, but what if the vehicle has a "rebuilt" title? I'm fairly certain an average fair market price does not exist for vehicles with rebuilt titles.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

How would that work?

Ah, but what if the vehicle has a "rebuilt" title? I'm fairly certain an average fair market price does not exist for vehicles with rebuilt titles.

That seems to be the guideline unless you get a dealer appraisal. But why are you going near a rebuilt title for a daily driver? I mean I can see it for a project car. Have you had it thoroughly inspected?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Nope. Not yet. I will be inspecting it on Monday.

I will also be looking at this Audi:

5G25Ea5Md3E73m23Mfc8tdbcc273d91ac13e1.jpg

Slider on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ewwww wagon.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Ewwww wagon.

BLASPHEMY!

BURN THE HERETIC!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Ewwww wagon.

stay thy tongue, knave!

amg_hammer_wagon_ebay.jpg

The old school AMG Hammer Estate says that wagons can be awesome.

1996_Volvo_855R_Wagon_T5R_Black_For_Sale_BTCC_resize.jpg

same for the slightly less awesome, but still good Volvo T5R Estate.

• Options
    Never mind the Wagon of Wagons, the Audi RS4 Avant
    Matte-Black-RS4-Avant-3.jpg

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Never mind the Wagon of Wagons, the Audi RS4 Avant
    Matte-Black-RS4-Avant-3.jpg

Nice paint. Batmobile has nothing on this.

I dunno about that Volvo though, It looks much better as a sedan.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    if you really wanted a sleeper that will embarrass everything short of a Pagani Zonda C12-F, get an old Plymouth Reliant Turbo wagon and turn it into an 11 sec car.

of course... you may be embarrassed just by driving it.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Ewwww wagon.

Dems fighten words.

• Options
    if you really wanted a sleeper that will embarrass everything short of a Pagani Zonda C12-F, get an old Plymouth Reliant Turbo wagon and turn it into an 11 sec car.

Eh, if you're after embarrassing everything, go for the GLH. I don't think there's a better car for it. I did come across a V8 Festiva once, I dunno how fast it was.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Eh, if you're after embarrassing everything, go for the GLH. I don't think there's a better car for it. I did come across a V8 Festiva once, I dunno how fast it was.

No. Get the 80's Dodge Dart, I think it is. It's one of the most dangerous cars in history. It had the same turbo engine, but more HP (this was before Shelby started putting his name on the cars), and weighed less. I believe it was called a bottle rocket in a can. They scaled the turbo down a bunch to put into the Omnis.

• Options

Dodge Caravan Turbo.
    newtrack.jpeg

Steam
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Dodge Caravan Turbo.
    newtrack.jpeg

I posted video of one in the last Cars thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KMa5dyEH18

krush on
  • Options

you're thinking of the Shogun.

89shogun_01.jpg

high 12's/low 13's in the 1/4 mile.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Ahh, forgot about the turbo caravan, I knew someone who had one, Daily driven. He would haul his family to the track in it, they'd pile out and he stick a helmet on and turn 11s.

89shogun_01.jpg

Nah, it was a doo-doo brown Festiva that someone stuck a 5.0 in, I never really got a close look at it, but it was a chop job.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Ahh, forgot about the turbo caravan, I knew someone who had one, Daily driven. He would haul his family to the track in it, they'd pile out and he stick a helmet on and turn 11s.

89shogun_01.jpg

Nah, it was a doo-doo brown Festiva that someone stuck a 5.0 in, I never really got a close look at it, but it was a chop job.

Ah. Forgot, the Shogun has a V6 in it anyways (from the Taurus SHO)

(edit) sounds a bit like the Chevy Beretta I once saw ina magazine in the late 80's or early 90's that was converted to RWD and had a 350 V8 from a T/A or Vette under the hood.

krush on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Dodge Caravan Turbo.
    newtrack.jpeg

Everyone expects it from the caravan.

TRD offered a bolt on supercharger for the Sienna back in the day, and I'm sure you could stick something bigger in there. The previa also had a supercharged AWD model that if it wasn't such a pain to work on I'm sure would see some fun stuff come out of.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options

Dodge Caravan Turbo.
    newtrack.jpeg

TRD offered a bolt on supercharger for the Sienna back in the day, and I'm sure you could stick something bigger in there. The previa also had a supercharged AWD model that if it wasn't such a pain to work on I'm sure would see some fun stuff come out of.

I have a n/a Previa right now. It's a royal pain to work on. The big difference between the Previa and the Caravan or Sienna is that the n/a Previa is RWD.

• Options
    edited September 2012

Dodge Caravan Turbo.
    newtrack.jpeg

I have a n/a Previa right now. It's a royal pain to work on. The big difference between the Previa and the Caravan or Sienna is that the n/a Previa is RWD.

I would have thought the big difference was the whole sitting on the engine thing. The stupidcharger one only made 160hp anyway.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options

Dodge Caravan Turbo.
    newtrack.jpeg

I would have thought the big difference was the whole sitting on the engine thing. The stupidcharger one only made 160hp anyway.

which is better than the ~130hp out of the n/a/ engine. And, yeah, the mid-engine thing is pretty flippin retarded.

This discussion has been closed.