As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ralph Nader Appreciation Thread [Cars]

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Huzzah.

Pretty sure my drivers side brake has seized on the crown victoria. The burning brake pad smell and enormous amount of heat, along with no slop like if a bearing goes, has me almost convinced. I'll pull the wheel off tomorrow to confirm. there's about $250 worth of parts and a morning to fix. Gah.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Huzzah.

Pretty sure my drivers side brake has seized on the crown victoria. The burning brake pad smell and enormous amount of heat, along with no slop like if a bearing goes, has me almost convinced. I'll pull the wheel off tomorrow to confirm. there's about $250 worth of parts and a morning to fix. Gah.

Why is that $250 in parts? Do you have to replace just 1 caliper or is it more than that?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    It's generally recommended to replace both calipers one the axle at the same time when one siezes. Also, inspect the rotor and pads for abnormal wear, with possible new brake pads and rotor.

• Options
    It's generally recommended to replace both calipers one the axle at the same time when one siezes. Also, inspect the rotor and pads for abnormal wear, with possible new brake pads and rotor.

Bah! Go the cheap route. What could go wrong?
    >_>
    <_<

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    First visit to the dealer for oil change since I did the intake, exhaust, and hitch.

Let's see if they say anything.

EDIT: Nope, not a peep. :D

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Bah! Go the cheap route. What could go wrong?
    >_>
    <_<

The rotor looks damaged from what I can see, so yea, thats two rotors, two calipers and two sets of pads along with two bearings, because if your changing out everything on one side to new parts, especially with brakes, you should change out the other side as well to match.

It is annoying when stuff like this happens. Wrenching for fun is a blast, wrenching to get to work is a pain in the ass.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Ouch. My sympathies bro.
    I figured I'd do the unsmart thing last month, when one of my calipers froze. I replaced the affected one. The other one then stopped working.
    At least now I have two new calipers. The rest of my brakes are OK though. But yeah, it's a pain in the rear.

• Options
    Ouch. My sympathies bro.
    I figured I'd do the unsmart thing last month, when one of my calipers froze. I replaced the affected one. The other one then stopped working.
    At least now I have two new calipers. The rest of my brakes are OK though. But yeah, it's a pain in the rear.

I'll take discs over drums any day though. Blegh drum brakes.

• Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    Ouch. My sympathies bro.

There's a 1965 Mustang 289 up the street from me, for sale, $9500. Super clean. One of the reasons I haven't bought it is it's got drum brakes all around. I looked at disk swaps and realized it would merely be the first of many upgrades and fixes, I don't feel like having a hole in my pocket yet.

But it's so pretty...

• Options
    Ouch. My sympathies bro.

At some point in the near future I will have to replace the read drum pads on my wife's civic. On a scale from 1 to FUCK NO what would you guys rate doing that job? I've done disc brakes a few times and looked up the directions for drum brakes. It looks more complicated but I'm just wondering if it is easy to fuck up?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ouch. My sympathies bro.

At some point in the near future I will have to replace the read drum pads on my wife's civic. On a scale from 1 to FUCK NO what would you guys rate doing that job? I've done disc brakes a few times and looked up the directions for drum brakes. It looks more complicated but I'm just wondering if it is easy to fuck up?

Drum shoes aren't hard. Just require a tool to help you lever the return springs off. Whether you buy a special tool from autozone for a couple of bucks or just butcher a screwdriver is up to you. There is almost guaranteed to be a video on Youtube showing the procedure for your exact model and year Civic.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Alright folks, pulled off the wheel of the crown vic and the brake caliper is seized up. I can still turn the disc If I get it a bit of muscle, so it isn't terrible.

Here's the question, the disc still looks to be in good shape, can I get away without changing them and just go with the new calipers and pads?

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    As long as the disc isn't below minimum thickness, has no cracks, and it not warped, you're o.k.

• Options
    yea I used a straight edge on it, and it seemed flat. Happily it seems the brakes didn't seize up with an emergency stop level of force, so while there was a shit ton of heat, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

• Options
    yea I used a straight edge on it, and it seemed flat. Happily it seems the brakes didn't seize up with an emergency stop level of force, so while there was a shit ton of heat, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

You can take em to Napa or whatever and have them cut as well.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_ngfwfbgiQC1qk92aso1_1280.jpg

• Options
    ummmm some people decided it would be awesome to do donuts in the middle of San Francisco?

• Options

You can take em to Napa or whatever and have them cut as well.

Eh, skimming discs is a rort. Unless they are seriously fucked up/warped (in which case you should be replacing them anyway), all it actually does is take a bit more life out of them. You can rough a glaze off with some sandpaper and your hand if they're too glossy.

• Options
    ehhh I just bought new ones. They weren't that expensive.

• Options
    Aaaaand just changed them out this morning. Of course it doesn't go as easy as the youtube videos show.

I was lucky I had a friend come out to help. Right out the gate I snapped an 18mm socket on the bolts holding the caliper bracket on. Had to run into town to buy a better one. Caliper wouldn't come off the driver side until I used a breaker bar on it to pry it loose. One of the pistons would not depress. not sure what went wrong, but it had to have been inside the caliper, as the other piston depressed no problem. so got that side done and hooked up, then on the passenger side I had to use the breaker bar to get the disc off, as it was apparently bonded to the spindle. After it was all said and done it took me about 3 hours to do both front brakes and bleed the system.

Damn if those new brakes aren't grippy as fuck though. Hello stopping!

• Options
    Yeah you often have to give the rotors a bit of a slap around with a deadblow hammer to free them from the hub.

• Options
    I figure the drivers side rotor came off so easy because it got super heated when the brake seized up. Just like applying a blowtorch!

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    I actually got a caliper replaced at the dealership recently, they only did the one IIRC.
    Feeling more dicked than usual.

• Options
    I actually got a caliper replaced at the dealership recently, they only did the one IIRC.
    Feeling more dicked than usual.

If the car is still pretty low miles I wouldn't worry about it. Mine has 160k and used to be a taxi, so lots of hard use on the brakes, I wanted to be safe than sorry. dual caliper failures are pretty rare on normal commuter cars unless there is a larger problem in the brake system. My jeep is at 268k miles on its original calipers and running strong.

• Options
    Aaaaand just changed them out this morning. Of course it doesn't go as easy as the youtube videos show.

I was lucky I had a friend come out to help. Right out the gate I snapped an 18mm socket on the bolts holding the caliper bracket on. Had to run into town to buy a better one. Caliper wouldn't come off the driver side until I used a breaker bar on it to pry it loose. One of the pistons would not depress. not sure what went wrong, but it had to have been inside the caliper, as the other piston depressed no problem. so got that side done and hooked up, then on the passenger side I had to use the breaker bar to get the disc off, as it was apparently bonded to the spindle. After it was all said and done it took me about 3 hours to do both front brakes and bleed the system.

I'm sure this is pretty much everyone's experience with car repair. Should take X amount of time and it really takes 3X or more because some stupid bolt or something refuses to come off. CURSE YOU RUST.

• Options

I'm sure this is pretty much everyone's experience with car repair. Should take X amount of time and it really takes 3X or more because some stupid bolt or something refuses to come off. CURSE YOU RUST.

Exactly, what the youtube videos don't tell you a lot of the time is they record on the 2nd try, after they've already broken everything free and re-installed it.

• Options

Exactly, what the youtube videos don't tell you a lot of the time is they record on the 2nd try, after they've already broken everything free and re-installed it.

In Southern California, all the bolts come out like that on the first try.... :D:D:D

• Options

In Southern California, all the bolts come out like that on the first try.... :D:D:D

Well now you've just gone and made me jealous. I hope you're happy. :D

• Options

He forgot to mention soaking the whole car in a penetrene dip bath for 48 hours first, don't worry...

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

He forgot to mention soaking the whole car in a penetrene dip bath for 48 hours first, don't worry...

Nah, California has no salt and no moisture. Cars remain in pristine shape, they just get dusty.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

Nah, California has no salt and no moisture. Cars remain in pristine shape, they just get dusty.

Well, apart from sun bleached paint and cracked leather interiors.

• Options
    Damn it, a deer ate my car. And finding a proper RSX replacement is a bitch.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    That's awful, where do I send a card?

• Options
    Anywhere really, the one I'm looking at is 5 hours away.

Anyone know some good ~10k buys? I never liked Honda but the RSX fit so many needs perfectly.
    Was looking at some WRXs, GTi wasn't bring up much of anything good.. I actually drove a Cooper S the other day but was not thrilled by it.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I love my '11 WRX, but the blue book is like 20k on that year. They hold their value well, I'd suspect because those that have one don't want to get rid of it.

• Options
  • Options
    You have to get pretty old to find a WRX in that range. Maybe the '02s? If you want the Subaru turbo+AWD combo, they also have the lesser-known Baja GTs and Legacy GTs. You could try there.
    Finding an unmolested RSX-S is a Sysphean task. Well, finding anything decently fun is going to be hard, for that price.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    There is a breaker's yard my train goes past.

It has a 6x6 original shape range rover sitting in it

Hmm

Hmmmm

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    If you're American you should be able to easily get a decent WRX in that price range. My 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero (basically a 2005 WRX with a Saab badge) was $10,500 CDN when I bought it a year ago. It's if you go for the WRX STi that big bucks start to be asked for.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    japan wrote: »
    There is a breaker's yard my train goes past.

It has a 6x6 original shape range rover sitting in it

Hmm

Hmmmm

No. That way lies pain and ruination.

Stay the course.

This discussion has been closed.