100 pages can't contain all of the [Weight Loss & Fitness]

godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
edited February 2013 in Social Entropy++
We're approaching that wonderful time of year again, filled with candy...
swVpS.jpg?1
...turkey...
kKBP4.jpg
...delicious hot beverages on chilly evenings...
iZYsf.jpg
...and all those tasty foods we can't resist. But in keeping with the natural order, little that is good is actually good for us. So let's talk about burning off those holiday treats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-6qdhrf9BQ&feature=related

SE++ Fitocracy Group
Calorie King
Fitbit
Exercise Buyer's Guide
(Thanks for the links from last thread, Lexxy!)

godmode on

• LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    FUCK

(you're welcome!)

Lexxy on
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    "Fuck", indeed.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I bought a long-sleeved running shirt last weekend. I felt like I passed some sort of threshold.

During one of my runs this week I recorded my fasted mile time in years (10:11) but going that fast wiped me out over the last mile. Still working on pace.

I should get one of those too. And some new leggings. Getting pretty crisp here in the evening.

I'm actually gearing up to be pretty well prepared to combat this holiday season. I'm up to running 3 miles a day, and have gotten my consecutive mile time down to 8:45! This is the first time I've been able to do either in close to two years, I think.

Yeah, it doesn't get cold here (SF Bay Area) but I will also need long pants eventually I would think.

I'm running three miles three times a week. My main goal right now is to get down to a 10 minute average per mile. Getting there, slowly though. Would probably help if I started working out the upper body a bit.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    For years now I've been indulging in flavored milks before bed and it's been a thorn in my side for years now that I was pretending didn't exist. It's pretty much been the only thing affecting my usual fitness regime, but it was starting to become noticeable.

I finally decided to kick it two weeks ago and it was surprisingly easy after the first couple of nights, so I'm feeling pretty awesome right now!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I need to get back into routine. I've been traveling too much. Before summer i was managing five-six km three to four times a week and then on Sunday's I'd do ten (leisurely), and I felt pretty good overall. But travel has just fucked everything up and I don't think I've done 10km in three months. Feel unfit and out of sorts.

On the bright side, im still managing three or four outings a week most of the time and i think im getting faster. I mean still slow compared to eg. Speedylegs lexxy up there, but on Thursday I managed (hang on conversion ...)

...4 miles in 38 minutes, which I'm happy with because that includes a pretty slow warmup period.

That's still damn fast! The reason I hit the pace I did was because I was doing sprinting intervals. I actually run at the exact same pace as you (9.5/mi) as my standard distance running speed.

I alternate between running at a leisurely pace and trying to push my distance and doing sprint intervals at a slightly shorter distance every day to keep from getting bored.

I should do that but I'm lazy. It's a constant game for me to exercise enough that I feel good while simultaneously doing it in the laziest way possible. I prefer going for long slow runs where I can zone out rather than shorter quicker ones - which would probably make me fitter faster but you get like, out of breath! How awful!

That's basically why I don't swim. It would be an amazing supplement, and I did it for a while earlier this year when my foot was healing, but it's so HARD.

Running is hard too but it's different. I can breathe any time I want, and am much better acquainted with my limits, how to pace myself, tracking progress, etc. It also requires no specialized conditions or equipment, essentially, aside from a good pair of shoes. I use the indoor track at my gym because it's cushioned, which is good for my knees, and climate controlled, which is good for my asthma, but I'd just as soon run outside if I didn't have a membership (and sometimes I do, when the gym is closed).

Oh god, you just can't swim here unless you do it at five am. Almost none of the pools are set up for laps and even if they are, people ignore the lanes like whoah.

I used to go for long cycles when the weather was good but my bike got stolen a few weeks back, so runnings about all I got at the moment. And grocery shopping.

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I get most of my exercise from my daily bike commute (2 set of 13km/8miles) but I'm a bit worried I won't be able to keep it up during winter. Spiked tires are pretty cheap but I'm not sure the snowplowers prioritize the bike paths. Traffic is dangerous enough during summer, I'd rather not use car lanes in winter.

I'm a bit tempted to start running & swimming and see if I can maybe do the Stockholm Triathlon next year. My 55 year old boss did it a few years back and it would be fun to beat his time.

Predictably, I fell out of my routine following my vacation a few weeks back, and really really need to start again, as I've gained back the weight I was losing. Still not smoking, though, so it'll be easy to get back into it!

Oh also there's all these goddamn video games coming out (and just come out) that I must play that are not helping me want to work out more.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Coincidentally, playing Sleeping Dogs just recently actually did make me want to work out more!

Yeah ideally I would find an indoor track here once it gets cold. I wanted to use my company's brand-new fitness center but they don't have a track.

I've heard rumors that my apartment complex was supposed to start construction on a fitness center this month, but I've seen no signs of work getting done so I dunno. It would be super convenient but I don't actually think that it'll be done before I move again.
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Coincidentally, playing Sleeping Dogs just recently actually did make me want to work out more!

Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, and WoW:MoP are making me feel quite the opposite :P

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I actually want to start running which I might do next week. I've been out of whack cause of PAX and I've been at a load of birthday parties so I've been drinking and eating a lot more than I usually do. Next week i'll be back on track. I'm going to look into rowing clubs in the area too.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I've always been slim, so it's a bit disconcerting to see a paunch beginning to develop. I want to nip this in the bud, but I am unsure how?

b1ehrMM.gif
    Do you do any kind of regular exercise, currently?

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Food, weights, cardio.

In that order!

Nothing. Matters.
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    No more beer for me for a while. Probably not till FloPax I'm October. No more junk food either.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    there's a chance i gained weight on that kayak trip, lol

though that chance is slim, but we didn't make it crazy strenuous (though we did a lot of kayaking and snorkeling, and then most of the time when i wanted to poo during day time we had to paddle over from our island to the island we dubbed poop island)
    however we did have a lot of food

man am i tired though, i did not sleep well for most of the week

poo
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Oh yay I am glad this thread is back!

Was your trip awesome, Shaz? I'm still seething with mad jealousy.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I haven't worked out in like a month. my 'injury' from PAX is at the point where I can flex my knee without screwing up my scab, though, so I'm gonna do some running after work today. fucking got drunk and ate a box of cheese-its and half a damn bag of pizza rolls on sunday, a mistake that must be dealt with

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Oh yay I am glad this thread is back!

Was your trip awesome, Shaz? I'm still seething with mad jealousy.

yeah it was totes awesome

we changed our plans there and ended up base camping due to one of the islands we had planned to go to being private now, and another the guide said was less good for camping, so we decided to base camp for most of it, which made things a lot easier and less stressful, so we could just leave our stuff in one place and then kayak to different islands or snorkeling spots

here are details that i will spoiler for length / tangent
    good weather, out on the islands it didn't really rain and was usually breezy, and you didn't need to worry bout mosquitos
    the first night it was really windy at night and you could see lightning far away all around, for the entire night, but it didn't rain and the rain fly on the tent was annoying, so the 2nd night we took it off, because there was no wind and no far away lightning
    but then very late it went from 0 wind, all of a sudden to like, 50mph gusts, and the people in my tent woke up and were like ohhhh shit and then we ran out to put the rain fly on in the crazy wind as lightning and thunder started getting closer, and managed to do it just as it started raining, and got in and were like ohhhh shittt, because the wind was still going 50mph and the rain was crazy and there was a crack of lightning and thunder that came together, so it was basically right on top of our tiny little island
    but then it left pretty quickly thankfully, so we got lucky, and that was our only real bad weather

when snorkeling saw tons of cool reef fish, some really huge stingray, nurse sharks, spotted eagle rays, loggerhead and hawksbill turtles, umm, oh and when i was snorkeling near our island through a school of a bajillion minnows all of a sudden a huge like almost 6 foot tarpon appeared right in front of me which was cool

we originally were gonna keep our guide for just 2 days but then we kept him for more, which was good, he caught us lots of fishes

on the first night on our island i woke up at 3am to take a leak and i look and see what i thought was a crab and then no, it's a baby turtle that just hatched, and then oh man its like 15 of them
    and then in the morning there was a huge sea turtle on our island digging holes trying to make a nest

but then the next night we saw even more baby turtles right after dinner, maybe like 50, and helped get them into the sea, or we woulda stepped on them
    and that night i think what was the same big sea turtle came into our campsite and started digging holes and then was digging one right underneath my friends tent so they had to move it, and then it kept going around digging holes for hours and then slashes a hole in my other friend's new tent with its head, which is just ridiculous, a frickin sea turtle
    and mind you this is just before that crazy storm, so it was a rough night for them

it was pretty sweet overall, kayaking was good, didn't do anything too hard. longest we did was like, 3.5 miles each way to an island to snorkel on for a day, which wasn't bad... but i was very glad to have had practice beforehand, because it made it a lot more fun

didn't get to do any dives, woulda been inconvenient with so many people in my group and me being the only certified person anyway, and we did plenty of snorkeling

fun fun

so sleepy now though, especially since i am not a back sleeper and sleeping in other positions while camping can be tough

also, brought rum and other liquor to the island and some mixers which we put into coconuts that we cut up with machetes
    genius

poo
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Food, weights, cardio.

In that order!

I've started doing those but in the exact opposite order. Curse my probable lack of exercise knowledge.

iwantanswers3.png
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Any good resources out there for someone who wants to get into swimming?

New olympic sized pool opened up about 300 yards from my house, I feel almost obliged to make use of it. Only £29 a month for full pool and gym membership.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    jaziek wrote: »
    Any good resources out there for someone who wants to get into swimming?

New olympic sized pool opened up about 300 yards from my house, I feel almost obliged to make use of it. Only £29 a month for full pool and gym membership.
    my friend said he learned a lot from just random youtube videos, lemme ask him which ones he used

poo
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Anyone live on Capitol Hill and work out at Golds? I need a workout buddy to keep my ass in shape

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Since going back to the gym my weight loss hasn't been considerable, but physique (gut aside) is looking way better.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Food, weights, cardio.

In that order!

fuck eating before lifting

i don't feel like vomiting in the middle of a squat

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Food, weights, cardio.

In that order!

Well, you should definitely eat before you lift. Maybe not fifteen minutes before, but give it an hour, hour and a half.

Other than that, quit being a baby.

Puking during, or after a squat is a badge of honor. Wear it with pride. Same with a deadlift. Burst blood vessels? Bonus points. Passing out? Try not to hit anything hard with your head. Tear something? shit sucks.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    I always have a snack like jerky and a protein shake before the gym

Food, weights, cardio.

In that order!

Well, you should definitely eat before you lift. Maybe not fifteen minutes before, but give it an hour, hour and a half.

Puking during, or after a squat is a badge of honor. Wear it with pride. Same with a deadlift. Burst blood vessels? Bonus points. Passing out? Try not to hit anything hard with your head. Tear something? shit sucks.

I've only ever almost passed out during dead lifts. I had to take like 2-3 minutes extra when that happened. It only really happens with deadlifts.

All of that sounds horrible.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    It seems that I have lost about 20 or so pounds since my Florida trip.

I need to find that belt. . .

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    tynic wrote: »
    All of that sounds horrible.

Dead Legend will have you eating chain and spitting nails in 6 weeks.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Food, weights, cardio.

In that order!

Man, I have come very very close on hungover max deadlifts but the honour of the only exercise to make me vomit still rests with the prowler. And it has done so on multiple occasions. She is an evil, evil beast.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Food, weights, cardio.

In that order!

I meant more along the lines of those should be your priorities of what to fix.

Eating healthy is the absolute first thing that should be focused on with the greatest possibility of reward for effort.

Nothing. Matters.
    Food, weights, cardio.

In that order!

I meant more along the lines of those should be your priorities of what to fix.

Eating healthy is the absolute first thing that should be focused on with the greatest possibility of reward for effort.

But Aphostile, how can I drink 4 pints a day and eat healthy at the same time?

This discussion has been closed.