Options

[PS Vita] Your Hotline Miami and Muramasa handheld

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    Definitely buying NFS and Ass Creed for vita Day one. (Will put me over the top for the $20 back promotion) However I'll probably need to make room before I can install them. Is it possible to delete the game data, but not the save for a digital game? If not, that is a serious design issue. (I assume I would have to back it up to a ps3 or windows/MAC)

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    I so badly want NFS to be cross buy. That would be awesome. Also, wish that it came out next week so I could make use of the b2g1 deal.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I just cant imagine many games doing cross buy. Its such a huge sales loss in the long run.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It seems like a unidirectional cross buy system would work better for publishers. Like, buy the 50/60 dollar PS3 game, get the 40 dollar Vita game free, but not the other way around.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    So... Nihilistic is "reorganizing" after they release COD:BOD into a downloadable and mobile games developer, moving away from retail releases.

That gives me lots of confidence in the quality of their final retail release.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    On the plus side, no more Nihilistic games.

To be fair, I was okay with Resistance: Burning Skies, and it wasn't offensively bad, but it could've been, well, good instead of "Well I don't regret it, but..."

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    I thought Resistance was not great, but still good. That doesn't leave me lots of confidence about COD:BOD either though. I think that cross buy makes sense for small games that don't need a whole lotta work to do a proper vita port. For something like NFS however I would be willing to buy both versions if you got a hefty discount. (Like $20 off for example)

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    nathanael wrote: »
    So... Nihilistic is "reorganizing" after they release COD:BOD into a downloadable and mobile games developer, moving away from retail releases.

Did you play Resistance? Because that should've told you what to expect with COD, ie: not good.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    So I'm pretty much deadset on re-purchasing a vita, after mine was stolen. Probably going to pick up the White AC3 bundle. Did they finally put ps1 games on the vita completely? I know they started with a few, has the library been fully transfered?

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Pretty much, yeah. If you have a PS3 at least. Otherwise, most of them are available on the Vita itself, just not all.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    It seems like a unidirectional cross buy system would work better for publishers. Like, buy the 50/60 dollar PS3 game, get the 40 dollar Vita game free, but not the other way around.
    Mind explaining why? To me that'd incentivise PS3 software sales over Vita software sales. Though I suppose there's also the perspective of essentially giving PS3 users "free" Vita games to push them to buy the system.
    I just cant imagine many games doing cross buy. Its such a huge sales loss in the long run.
    Why is it a huge sales loss? Because SO many people buy two different versions of the exact same game? I call rubbish. I think they're far better off adding more value to the one (probably full price) purchase by offering both versions of the game. I mean, hell, Valve did this first!

To be fair, I doubt it's specifically because of CoD: BOD. I think they've just paid attention to the reactions to their games, seen the writing on the wall and are trying to get out while they still can. I think it's fair enough and wish them the best.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    I actually like the way it worked with The Show 2012: buy them both for $80. That way I'm not forced into the digital release of the Vita game, but I still get a nice discount on both.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So at some point it seems the general feeling of "Crossbuy Vita games will definitely provide a PS3 Digital Copy" has shifted to "that probably won't happen" :P

Still no PS All-Star Smash Bros demo for us EU plebs either. Seems it mistakenly was restricted to PS+ despite the very clear "will be available to all Vita users, not just PS+" claims. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I have to say - as a lifelong XBox user, who's never even considered a PS3, I am damn near on the brink of buying one after just under a month of the Vita.

I love this thing, and the advantages of PS+ and crossbuy (along with the promise of remote play for niche things like Tokyo Jungle) have me really, really looking forward to black friday.

Also - can anyone recommend some good PSP games I may have missed out on over the years? I got a good deal on Patapon 2, and holy shit. How did I never play this?

I've seen things like flOw, Echochrome...they sound familiar and I'm not sure if they're worth the price. Also, the old GTA PSP games.

It's SO obvious the quality of the graphics dips on PSP games, but the art in Patapon makes it much less irritating. Any advice on some good PSP games for the Vita would be appreciated!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I've got an enormous list in the OP but my short list would be Killzone: Liberation, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, LoH: Trails in the Sky, Half Minute Hero, Tactics Ogre, FFT: War of the Lions, Dissidia 012 (has the original Dissidia packed in, you don't need both), PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe and Persona 3: Portable. Oh and Jeanne d'Arc, though I only ever played the physical version (never got a PAL release).

flOw and Echochrome are the same games that appear on the PS3, so if you're interested, they should be fine. One benefit the PSP version of flOw has is that you don't need to use the Sixaxis sensors to control movement like the PS3 version (though you get used to that anyway).

Remember that you can also press down on the screen in a PSP game to access emulator options that let you remap buttons around, add bilinear filtering and a few other options. Tips are mentioned in the OP.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    What type of genres are youn interested in mxmarks? The PSP was -the- RPG/SRPG console "last" gen so if you say one of those the list will probably be a mile long with sub-categeories. It helps to be specefic with your tastes so we can give recomendations that match up. 2D Platformers? 3D Platformers? Action/Adventure games? Rhythm games?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    Valkyria Chronicles 2!

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I have to say - as a lifelong XBox user, who's never even considered a PS3, I am damn near on the brink of buying one after just under a month of the Vita.

I love this thing, and the advantages of PS+ and crossbuy (along with the promise of remote play for niche things like Tokyo Jungle) have me really, really looking forward to black friday.

Also - can anyone recommend some good PSP games I may have missed out on over the years? I got a good deal on Patapon 2, and holy shit. How did I never play this?

I've seen things like flOw, Echochrome...they sound familiar and I'm not sure if they're worth the price. Also, the old GTA PSP games.

It's SO obvious the quality of the graphics dips on PSP games, but the art in Patapon makes it much less irritating. Any advice on some good PSP games for the Vita would be appreciated!

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
    Crimson Gem Saga
    Gungnir
    Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 1-3 (more specifically 3)
    Wild Arms XF (disclaimer: it's preachy)
    Z.H.P.
    Yggdra Union

Also, I'm a little biased towards RPGs.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I'm a sucker for real quirky stuff. Patapon has me hooked, and since this is my first Sony device since the PSX (my roomate had a PS2 so I did get to play some gems there...) I'm looking for the stuff that never went cross platform, and stuff I remember reading about here and there.

So far I've picked up Little Big Planet (which, on an unrelated note, i feel like I'm collecting WAY more than actually is available to my sackboy...is some costume stuff only in build mode? I havent touched anything but story yet), Uncharted and Katamari - stuff I couldn't get on my XBox (well, Katamari I just couldn't resist).

I enjoy JRPG's and RPG's, and am up to pretty much try anything. Past favorite games include stuff ranging from Alan Wake and Deadly Premonition, to Elite Beat Agents, Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright.

Thanks for the help everyone!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Mind explaining why? To me that'd incentivise PS3 software sales over Vita software sales. Though I suppose there's also the perspective of essentially giving PS3 users "free" Vita games to push them to buy the system.
    Why is it a huge sales loss? Because SO many people buy two different versions of the exact same game? I call rubbish. I think they're far better off adding more value to the one (probably full price) purchase by offering both versions of the game. I mean, hell, Valve did this first!

To be fair, I doubt it's specifically because of CoD: BOD. I think they've just paid attention to the reactions to their games, seen the writing on the wall and are trying to get out while they still can. I think it's fair enough and wish them the best.

Because I don't see as many publishers willing to do both for one price. Getting the Vita version free with the more expensive PS3 purchase just makes more sense than being forced to price both versions the same, when the two platforms do not have the same prices as a rule.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'd say the bigger problem will be getting third parties to do crossbuy in the first place. Not only will most of them be hesitant to give away a second game for free, but there's also the added cost of doing another day and date port with essentially no compensation.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I'm a sucker for real quirky stuff. Patapon has me hooked, and since this is my first Sony device since the PSX (my roomate had a PS2 so I did get to play some gems there...) I'm looking for the stuff that never went cross platform, and stuff I remember reading about here and there.

So far I've picked up Little Big Planet (which, on an unrelated note, i feel like I'm collecting WAY more than actually is available to my sackboy...is some costume stuff only in build mode? I havent touched anything but story yet), Uncharted and Katamari - stuff I couldn't get on my XBox (well, Katamari I just couldn't resist).

I enjoy JRPG's and RPG's, and am up to pretty much try anything. Past favorite games include stuff ranging from Alan Wake and Deadly Premonition, to Elite Beat Agents, Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright.

Thanks for the help everyone!

If you like Elite Beat Agents check out the Vita DJ Max game that's coming out soon. Patapon 3 plays very differently than 1 and 2 so I can't fully recomend it like I recomend those.

Since you like both Horror and puzzles with your almost-visual novels take a look at Corpse Party for the PSP (creepy as hell horror VN) and Virtue's Last Reward (Puzzle-slash-Horror VN) for Vita/3DS after you play the prequel 999 for the DS.

For Stragety RPGs (oh lord, there's way more than this): Growlancer: Wayfarer of Time, Gungnir (and the other STING games), and the Valkyria Chronicles series (play the first one on PS3 before you play 2) are what's at the top of non-traditional SRPGs for the system. For the FFT-like take a look at Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than FFT), Wild Arms XF (hex based, focuses on synergy/custom-created class combos), and FFT: War of the Lions (way better than the PS1 version of the game.

There's also the quirky Disgaea series. 1 and 4 (PS3) are by far the best and the sony-portable remakes of 1-3 are better than their console counterpoarts. They're fun parody SRPGs that break the 4th wall and have decent sized main-storylines then completly overfill on bonus/post-game/alternate-ending/alternate-scenereo content.

For regular RPGs: Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky takes the crown prize for characters and world-building (though we're still waiting on the sequels). There's also Persona series... 2: IS, Persona 2: EP (if it gets localized) are old-school RPGs while 3+4 are modern ones with different gameplay mechancis. For 3 you have the option of Portable on the PSP (improved gameplay mechanics from 4 and an aditional non-canon alternate female protagonist choice4, but a reduced-to-menu-format world navigation) or FES on the PS2/3 avilable on the PSN (which isn't cut down, has all the origonal cutscnes, is harder, and has the canon epilogue 20-30 hour epilogue chapter that's needed to understand the story in P4Arena).

Not sure if you like Metal Gear or God of War, but there's good games in those series too as far as action goes.

Then if you get a PS3 look at the exclusive 1st party games, RPGs, and PSN releases... but that would be another post.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Its a shame Crisis Core never got a digital release, because that belongs to the short list of "JRPG games I actually like". (Up there with FFT, Jeanne D'arc, Valkyria Chronicles etc)

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The ultimate on-the-go RPG is Half-Minute Hero. Buy that.

• Options
    I don't know if it will be getting an international release, but Sora no Kiseki (Trails in the Sky) is getting an HD facelift, so you might want to wait on that if you are thinking about getting a PS3. However, if you're like me and find you finish RPGs easier on handhelds, go crazy.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    I definitely finish handheld RPGs easier. I'm not sure why. Maybe because they cut down on cutscenes and such to save space.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Thats the main reason I've been putting off Trails in the Sky. I want to play it, but I want to see if we get any word about that getting localized.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I am pumped for the 30th. I've got AC coming in the mail, going go get NFS on PSn and I'm considering Ragnarok. I'm hoping I get really sick or something so I can take some days off to play games!!

• Options
    edited October 2012

Because I don't see as many publishers willing to do both for one price. Getting the Vita version free with the more expensive PS3 purchase just makes more sense than being forced to price both versions the same, when the two platforms do not have the same prices as a rule.

I can see both of you guys POV on this, and sorry fro starting a debate with my comment. But the reason I said what I did was because I feel with a game like NFS, cross buy SHOULD be used, for the simple fact that they have repeatedly stated that the entirety of the console version is squeezed into the portable. So I feel like I'm getting ripped off if I pay for the same thing twice. If the game makes no use of communication between the systems, and/or is an entirely different game, then I dont feel entitled to cross buy. But if it is the same game, and you can switch playing the same save between the two systems, I feel a little entitled to only pay once. Just my .02

edit: like for example, I am ok with Ubisoft not throwing both Assassins Creeds at me just because I fancy the idea of cross buy. They are different games, therefore I should have to pay for them. However, if they want to, that quite alright with me too.

b1rdman on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    b1rdman wrote: »

I can see both of you guys POV on this, and sorry fro starting a debate with my comment. But the reason I said what I did was because I feel with a game like NFS, cross buy SHOULD be used, for the simple fact that they have repeatedly stated that the entirety of the console version is squeezed into the portable. So I feel like I'm getting ripped off if I pay for the same thing twice. If the game makes no use of communication between the systems, and/or is an entirely different game, then I dont feel entitled to cross buy. But if it is the same game, and you can switch playing the same save between the two systems, I feel a little entitled to only pay once. Just my .02

edit: like for example, I am ok with Ubisoft not throwing both Assassins Creeds at me just because I fancy the idea of cross buy. They are different games, therefore I should have to pay for them. However, if they want to, that quite alright with me too.

...which is exactly the compromise that I think Sony nailed with MLB: The Show this year. Same game, but no cross-buy? Well, if you buy them both, we'll spot you a Jackson ($20).

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Anyone know if there's any Vita skins or anything out there that sort of partition off the areas on the back touch panel that count as L2/R2 on default? Because, playing FF8 and running into the T-Rex thing without time to plink away at it means I kind of need those and it seems like I fumble around for a few seconds before actually finding them.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options

...which is exactly the compromise that I think Sony nailed with MLB: The Show this year. Same game, but no cross-buy? Well, if you buy them both, we'll spot you a Jackson ($20).

That was retail(disc) copies though, right? That I'd be cool with, but if it is digital I feel like a bigger discount would be nicer. I can see not getting a completely free hard copy because that shit cost money to make, distribute and it would take profits from the retailers. So, yeah, good point and also good info to have for future reference.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's any Vita skins or anything out there that sort of partition off the areas on the back touch panel that count as L2/R2 on default? Because, playing FF8 and running into the T-Rex thing without time to plink away at it means I kind of need those and it seems like I fumble around for a few seconds before actually finding them.

I don't think so. Sony will probably add a complete remapping of buttons to the emulator at one point, so that'll probably be the best alternative. Though it took them a while to add that functionality to the PSP emulator, so who knows when they'll get around to adding to the PS1 one.

• Options
    supermechakuposupermechakupo Registered User regular
    l
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

I believe the L2/R2 area is located towards the top and middle of the back touch pad. My problem however is with the L3/R3 located near the lower area. I don't know why they mapped Start, R3, and any input to the right stick, to bring up first-person view in Vagrant Story. More remapping options would be really nice though, including mapping anything to the right stick.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

See $80 seems way too high for me. In that case I'd just not buy anything and wait a couple months to get one of the versions for twenty bucks.

Cross play is a novelty at best, I can't see many people stoked to pay for the same game twice, even at a discount.

Maybe make it so you get the Vita version as a download if you have Plus? I dunno.

• Options
    An Assassin's Creed 3 "ultimate set" or "complete edition" would be really nifty. Get the complete story at a slight discount and/or with bonus stuff for buying them together. They don't make sense as a cross-buy title, but as a pair-buy title they might move some units.

About the emulators, I'm still waiting for them to allow full customization (mapping a specific button to a specific other button - not sets of buttons to other sets of buttons). Anyone that has tried VC2 on a Vita knows what I'm talking about.

• Options
    Thing is, games make small enough margins when they aren't blockbusters.

There is very little Sony can afford to offer anyone to develop a game they'll literally see no return on.

Making NFS run just like the console version on the Vita probably cost them a farm. The mentality that them doing a superior and amazing port job should be rewarded with them not getting paid is...?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Thing is, games make small enough margins when they aren't blockbusters.

There is very little Sony can afford to offer anyone to develop a game they'll literally see no return on.

Making NFS run just like the console version on the Vita probably cost them a farm. The mentality that them doing a superior and amazing port job should be rewarded with them not getting paid is...?

What are you talking about? If people buy just one version of the game, they'll get money. The number of people that will actually buy two versions of a game is tiny. Completely irrelevant. Go take a look at the PSP's multiplatform software sales if you want proof of this. The idea behind something like cross-buy isn't about giving a free game away, it's about providing more value to the game. It helps incentivise people that are on the fence or weren't interested in it into buying the game just because it seems like a deal. The idea that separate versions == more money is the kind of logic you'd get from a robot/accountant and doesn't really hold up that well under scrutiny.

Out of curiosity, do you complain about SteamPlay? Because Valve came up with this idea first. They sell a number of PC and Mac games as just one purchase, instead of separately.

Edit: Just as anecdotal evidence, if NFS MW were a cross-buy game, I would've bought it, despite of my problems with EA. As it is, I'm happy to wait for the price to drop significantly.

On the other hand, I'll probably buy PS All Stars and R&C FFS/QF when they come out and a large reason for that is them being cross-buy games. Same thing goes with most cross-buy games actually, aside from the ones that just don't appeal at all to me (pinball, darts, bowling, etc.). And the ones I would've bought anyway, I only would've bought for one system normally.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    A Mac and a PC are essentially the same hardware though. I know that that is a somewhat simplistic viewpoint, but the Mac/PC relationship is much different than PS3/Vita or even PS3/360.

• Options
    A Mac and a PC are essentially the same hardware though. I know that that is a somewhat simplistic viewpoint, but the Mac/PC relationship is much different than PS3/Vita or even PS3/360.

Yeah, they are different. PS3/Vita have basically the same software environment, so code can be ported across relatively easily. PC/Mac don't and porting between those can involve a crapload of work.