As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SMT4/Persona] Teatime with Satan

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Gonna type up a more detailed breakdown of my feelings in a bit, but short version - some of y'all dramatically overhyped the true ending, and way overreacted to me not seeing it

Also I'm not familiar with the Golden additions but yeah, I thought if the game ended where I beat it the first time it would have felt essentially perfect, even if a few question were left unanswered
    I'm still kind of pissed we never see the protagonist's shadow, and it was my primary pick for the true culprit all along

Namatame's shadow manifests when he loses his shit, and Adachi and his shadow are basically the same person

But Yu's shadow, which could have been a great thematic finale to the game, kind of got handwaved away by Izanami, and that bummed me out a little

But

It was still super kicking rad when Yu whipped off his glasses I guess

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Gonna type up a more detailed breakdown of my feelings in a bit, but short version - some of y'all dramatically overhyped the true ending, and way overreacted to me not seeing it

Also I'm not familiar with the Golden additions but yeah, I thought if the game ended where I beat it the first time it would have felt essentially perfect, even if a few question were left unanswered
    I'm still kind of pissed we never see the protagonist's shadow, and it was my primary pick for the true culprit all along

Namatame's shadow manifests when he loses his shit, and Adachi and his shadow are basically the same person

But Yu's shadow, which could have been a great thematic finale to the game, kind of got handwaved away by Izanami, and that bummed me out a little

But

There's a scene in the anime where he has to confront his shadow at the end, it's pretty good. It's also all of the anime I've seen, so I have no idea if the rest of the series is decent.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

But

Adachi and Namatame didn't actually have shadows in the traditional sense so it makes sense that Yu wouldn't either

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Narukami's shadow is... Yu

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The anime is pretty good

Its basically one to one so its perfect for people who couldnt stand the gameplay like me

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Yo Pooro

Was your uncle the best support or what

I kind of thought he was, especially when you had the stats to be really honest with him

I liked him a lot! My personal favorites were Shu and Naoki, but Dojima was really great too
    Pooro I need your opinions on:
    Youske
    Uncle Man
    Crazy Teacher from the second half of the game
    Naota

Yosucky - Not great! Which is kinda okay? Like, he is a total piece of shit when the group is together, but in the one-on-one moments, he's a pretty decent guy. And in high school, I knew a lot of guys like that. So, in that respect, it's a good portrayal. I wish the game didn't seem to think that was okay, though. He sees growth, but that growth never bleeds into him being less homophobic or sexist.

Uncle Man - Great dude, wish the game could've made up its mind on how much he actually knew/wanted to know about the TV world

Crazy Teacher - Not great! "Pervy teacher" was handled way more amusingly by King Moron, with his so-shallowly-sublimated-that-that-was-the-joke spin on the character. And a lot of the humor around her seemed to boil down to, "Isn't it hilarious that this lady thinks she's hot and wants to get laid? Haha! Gross!"

Naoto - Probably my favorite character in the game. I hated whenever the game would cheesecake her, and I think it's kinda gross that it's even an option to ask her to feminize for you, but I otherwise loved damn near everything about her.

• Options
    Good opinions

Youske is the best written high school character I have ever seen

Just spot on

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    The pervy teacher made a lot more sense when I learned about the concept of Christmas Cake

You don' want anything to do with christmas cake after the 26th

Apparently its the same with Women, that after 26 they are past their "prime" and no one wants them

Which, it explains her character, but its still really gross

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I think the most disappointing moment in the game (at least, the original)
    is the extended bathhouse sequence

Not just for playing into storytelling tropes which are at best tiresome, and not just for how it tried to use a bunch of 14-year-old girls, nearly all of whom were my favorite members of the party, as eye candy

But for how the teacher lady offered herself up sexually to three of her students, basically asking them to run a train on her and a fourth student

I wasn't made that uncomfortable by any other game this year

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Pooro I say this about very few things

But you should watch the animation adaptation

The protagonist is given a personality, and it is hilarious

• Options
    edited October 2014
    The only good gag in the bathhouse is the guys continuously getting the shit beat out of them
    Edit: I should note that the bathhouse is worse in Golden, because apparently they felt the need to make cutscenes for it

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    The game also only took place for about a year, Yosuke will probably grow out of it

• Options
    yosuke will grow up to be a bro who knows his memes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCuHBrWJFXU

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Marie is really fun though! Everyone loves Marie!

... right?

Marie is great! She wouldn't be so important if everyone didn't love her!

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Example: King's Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCuHBrWJFXU

DAMMIT BLUEDUDE

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    guys I was just browsing twitter and stumbled across a photograph of a man fucking a pumpkin I dont know what to do send help

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I prefer that sequence in Japanese

The differences compared to the English script for the game bother me less that way

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    -Tal wrote: »
    guys I was just browsing twitter and stumbled across a photograph of a man fucking a pumpkin I dont know what to do send help

Don't you stand between a man and Pyro Jack.

• Options

The best part is that he starts with no personality, and he slowely develops one as his stats increase

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    He basically takes all the humorous/joke options in the animation because he has a weird sense of humor

And it's really fun to see how uncomfortable it makes Yosuke, especially when Yu is totally fine roleplaying a woman and taking it extremely seriously

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    He basically takes all the humorous/joke options in the animation because he has a weird sense of humor

And it's really fun to see how uncomfortable it makes Yosuke, especially when Yu is totally fine roleplaying a woman and taking it extremely seriously

Man I picked those options in complete earnestness

I ESPECIALLY meant it when I hit on Kanji

• Options
    If you're not comfortable enough with your sexuality and your masculinity to sit on the girl's side of the table to help out, what are you even doing being the cool transfer student in the first place?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yu being unable to keep his shirt on in the animation is still the best fucking thing.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    No one shirt could contain that much swagger.

• Options
    Radius wrote: »
    No one shirt could contain that much swagger.

the clock's ticking I just count the hours

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Yu+Fashion+Sense.png

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    As long as we're critiquing p4 again I wanna reiterate that I really don't like the valentines day thing in golden

Putting in consequences for cheating was a good idea but the implementation is so off putting that I wish they hadn't even bothered

All of the girls are just sad that they're not good enough for you instead of being hurt or angry by what you did to them and it totally undercuts their characters

Chie should've galactic punted you into the sky while naoto shot you like a clay pigeon

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    yuguard.jpg

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Best episode of the cartoon is when yu is grinding social links over summer vacation and the investigation team is trying to figure out what the fuck he's doing

• Options
    As long as we're critiquing p4 again I wanna reiterate that I really don't like the valentines day thing in golden

Putting in consequences for cheating was a good idea but the implementation is so off putting that I wish they hadn't even bothered

All of the girls are just sad that they're not good enough for you instead of being hurt or angry by what you did to them and it totally undercuts their characters

Chie should've galactic punted you into the sky while naoto shot you like a clay pigeon

All the extra stuff I've heard about in Golden on a narrative level sounds kind of terrible

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    yeah it really is. that animation shined when it didn't just adapt scenes from the game 1:1

yu trying to trick everyone into thinking he's teddie was gold

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    A sort of stealth joke from the dubbed animation is how bent out of shape Yu is about the price of a Neo Featherman toy while working at the day care ("Damn you Neo Featherman!"), considering the show where Johnny Yong Bosch got his start.

• Options
    Yu is a pretty clever name to give the MC

Though I wish they'd stuck with my choice, Lord McNasty

• Options
    Yu Narukami has really grown on me over the years.

• Options
    Pooro no one has asked the most important question

Are you down with Funky Student?

• Options
    He's down with Fox, he has to be down with Funky Student.

• Options
    Pooro no one has asked the most important question

Are you down with Funky Student?

Group A has Duh
    Group B has Nope City

Pooro is Group A
    Losers are Group B all the way

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Remember when he was named Souji Seta?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    Remember when he was named Souji Seta?

No I don't

This discussion has been closed.