As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Don't Starve!] ...or get eaten by anything horrible. (But you totally will.)

1262728293032»

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Ah man I forgot the traps. And I'll be honest, I've never survived long enough to find a koalaphant. I've only seen Beefalo like once.

You've probably come across the koalaphant, you just didn't know it. I will spoiler in case you want to figure it out on your own.
    When you see tracks on the ground, you can click them and see which way they point. Walk in the direction they are going and you will see more tracks. Keep doing this until you hit the end of the rainbow and there he is.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Hm yeah I guessed those would be related. I'm assuming you should use the boomerang against it.

Oh and I got Reign of Giants (hooray steam sale!) so that'll be fun. I died in my last game (got chased by a couple wolves into one of those tentacle things) and unlocked Wendy so I've started over with her.

Edit: and in the latest of "Asmodeus makes dumb decisions in Don't Starve" I set up my base next to one of those spelunking holes, completely forgetting bats come out of them at night.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    So is anyone in the PA community playing Don't Starve together? I'm pretty interested in it now that they merged the reign of giants content in, but not really interested in playing with pubbies.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    I've been playing it now and then. I've enjoyed it so far, but I haven't had much of a chance to play post-RoG. I did play Wigfrid a bit and can confirm she's still a beast, and the perfect candidate for making Telltale Hearts.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Yes.
    Giants are much harder to kill now.
    Decentralized living is the way to go.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Fortunately there's a recent mod that brings the Dragonfly's HP down to a more reasonable level. 27500 HP, what were they smoking?

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So is there like a Penny Arcade Don't Starve server?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    @tapeslinger @nexuscrawler

Respawn from your touchstone, thread!

Has anyone tried the new Shipwrecked content for Don't Starve? If so, it is worthwhile?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Haven't tried it yet, I was planning on grabbing it after the holidays. I love Capybara and I have confidence they and Klei are a good team-up!

My most recent game I've basically run the complete gamut through my world and I'm essentially doomsday-prepping for time to go to on to the next (rebuilding all my shit and stashing it in inventory instead of planting it, etc)

I think I'm going to spend the next world exploring caves... I haven't spent much time on those.

• Options
    jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    @tapeslinger @nexuscrawler

Respawn from your touchstone, thread!

Has anyone tried the new Shipwrecked content for Don't Starve? If so, it is worthwhile?

I played it and yeah it was 100% worth it to me.

I won't spoiler anything but it feels familiar but all new at the same time. New and infuriating mechanics that could kill you and wreck your shit before you even figure out wtf is going on every new playthrough so don't worry about it being easy if you're a veteran. Don't Starve's new game smell was one of the best things I had touched and Shipwrecked kinda brings that back even if it'll be temporary.

YMMV

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Summer volcanoes are bullshit.
    You can game it by not being at your base camp, but that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But if you play it "fair" and still stick around like a doofus you're just fucking yourself.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular
    You can game it by not being at your base camp, but that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But if you play it "fair" and still stick around like a doofus you're just fucking yourself.

I don't really consider that gaming it. I build little arenas away from home in anticipations to all the events equipped appropriately and this is no different.
    Hell, I'd say it's a seasonal opportunity to for rock harvesting or getting rid of some unwanted critters.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular

I don't really consider that gaming it. I build little arenas away from home in anticipations to all the events equipped appropriately and this is no different.
    Hell, I'd say it's a seasonal opportunity to for rock harvesting or getting rid of some unwanted critters.

Summer quarters is a great idea in general. It's hard to keep a whole base covered with the snow throwing machines, and it's a hassle to keep turning them on and off to stop them from putting out the endothermic fire.

• Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Guys I have a base and have survived for over 2 weeks now! I am afraid!

What is a good idea to start doing after I have a cooking pot up and have found a nice place to call home? I dunno how long it'll be before winter, and I have no winter clothes!

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    The Ender wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Guys I have a base and have survived for over 2 weeks now! I am afraid!

What is a good idea to start doing after I have a cooking pot up and have found a nice place to call home? I dunno how long it'll be before winter, and I have no winter clothes!

Vanilla Don't Starve? Reign of Giants? Shipwrecked?
    Assuming the first two versions.
    • Build a bird cage. And a bird trap. The tech chain is a bit involved since you need to find gold and some reeds out of a swamp biome. Then find some silk to build the trap to catch a bird. Birds will eat your rotting meat or poisonous monster meat and poop out delicious eggs for the crockpot.
    • Get a couple drying racks. And then some more down the line. You make jerky. Jerky keeps longer. It too goes into pots.
    • Figure out Beefalos, Spiders and Koalafant tracks. All these mobs drop mats for winter clothing. Shave/murder the first. Farm the second. Track and murder the third (you need something to aggro it from a distance or it'll keep running from you).
    • Build regular traps out of grass and sticks. Takes a lot of grass. But you can start trapping rabbits for the drying racks or crockpot.
    • Lightning rods helps keep your base and farms from burning down from lightning strikes. In vanilla, buildings are immune to fire, but they aren't in RoG. Tightly cluttered farms of saplings and grass will burn fast without a lightning rod protecting it.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    Alas, I met my demise on Day 20 - not to winter, but to hubris. I tried to whack down a leveled-up spider nest to re-plant, while wearing no armor. Super spider came out and creamed me.

;.;

I had such a good spawn. Oh well.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Boomerang is life.

Plant a forest, burn it down, plant another, burn it down, plant a forest, burn it down