As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Don't Starve!] ...or get eaten by anything horrible. (But you totally will.)

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    She probably doesn't have any kind of resistance to rain or heat programmed in, so I suppose she could still be used in normal Don't starve, but the moment you turn on RoTG, she's screwed.

If the game does not default to a mid range assumption of middle resistance, you're right.....wouldn't hurt to dive in to the files and tweak that myself.....that means I would have to download it from somewhere else or copy the files and unsubscribe.....cobbling together a newer, better Seras for my own usage.
    If you can't tell, those solutions make me excited

A vampiric thrall would be weak to heat, correct?
    Since vampires don't have human metabolisms, it's not clear whether heat would affect them in any particular way. Although summer has the longest days and shortest nights, which is inherently disadvantageous.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    She probably doesn't have any kind of resistance to rain or heat programmed in, so I suppose she could still be used in normal Don't starve, but the moment you turn on RoTG, she's screwed.

If the game does not default to a mid range assumption of middle resistance, you're right.....wouldn't hurt to dive in to the files and tweak that myself.....that means I would have to download it from somewhere else or copy the files and unsubscribe.....cobbling together a newer, better Seras for my own usage.
    If you can't tell, those solutions make me excited

A vampiric thrall would be weak to heat, correct?
    Since vampires don't have human metabolisms, it's not clear whether heat would affect them in any particular way. Although summer has the longest days and shortest nights, which is inherently disadvantageous.

Seras could still move around but would run from everything for all time except for 2 minutes in real life. Playing through winter is a cross between murder and running toward heat.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Applying science to vampires wouldn't work anyways since they're function purely on magic, but assuming a vampire is still largely a flesh bag of water like a human, then heat would most certainly affect them in a similar way as us.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    That's why I liked trinity blood, nanomachine vampires with 4 Krsnik feeding off of all of them.

Fleeing from anime, have there been any other character mods or monster mods worth playing and has wickerbottom changed in the least?

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    It's too late to flee from the animus. Seras is animu already. But as I understand it, she's the supernatural walking corpse kind of vampire with magic powers.

As for Wickerbottom, I'll probably start out as her for Reign of Giants. She's probably the same as ever, so she's a smart bet for her ability to ignore an entire tech tier.

Must show off . . . pre-expansion settlement I had for her.
    Overview1_zpsda20569b.png
    home1_zps62704730.png
    lots1_zpsa170a01f.png
    bunnybox1_zps3c01dcfc.png

Probably not worth transferring old saves because of my crockpot and drying rack shenanigans.
    Besides, new contents and stuff.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    These new things...confuse me. It's raining constantly. I'm freezing on day 4. Some form of racoon is now my staple diet. This game is so much fun and fun to look at.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    So, I'm not hurt that badly by not having perma-preserved food. I can't hoard food, but my sustainable resources still provide way way more food than I can eat on a regular schedule.

I'm using boomerangs more frequently now, because of how easy and sustainable they are to make. You no longer store rabbits, but that doesn't change much since you can just one-shot them with the boomerang whenever you need to fill out a recipe.

Anything meat-based that goes bad can still be fed to my bird cage to get eggs out of it.

Huge arrays of drying racks are still worth getting because you frequently wind up with a lot of meat that you want to preserve. I had frogs rain on Beefalos in heat, which gave me something like 60+ frog legs I suddenly had to preserve.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    I am having way too much fun with my Seras in the pre-giants build that I don't want to migrate to the new one.

The game is afoot is also the best island to start with, as long as you can find the "arm" with tall birds, spiders, and walrus first.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So I don't have Reign of Giants. Yet. But I've been playing the game since this past weekend (I decided to mod it a little). I was playing as the robot, and was near the end of winter.

Then there was some heavy breathing. Like scary heavy breathing. What the hell? Then the screen starts shaking. I had no idea what the hell was going on - The deerclops trots up and smashes my fucking camp to pieces and chases me everywhere. Then a dog attack started and I had no choice but to try and take out Deerclops before they arrived.

I lost. :(

• Options
    The true answer is to run.
    Run like the tiny little limp-dicked sissy coward that you are.

Your hunger meter will probably outlast them. Probably.

Okay, okay. The rational and educated answer is that the big boss won't smash up your shit if he spawns nowhere near your camp.
    The dogs do fall asleep or can aggro on something else. Eventually. I think. I always had armor on me.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    8V0QX7d.png

Multiplayer announced. It will be a free expansion with an aim of at least four player co-op.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    So I tried playing today and I can't cope with the expansion. Night falls, and my sanity plummets from 150 to 40 overnight. I start picking flowers to keep things level until I can think of a new solution, but after a couple of days, all the flowers around my plot of land have morphed into evil flowers. What am I missing? Why do some nights my sanity drains like whoah, and other nights it's like it was before the expansion?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've been poking at mods lately (though I don't have the expansion). There's a mod that makes the evergreens grow one more size up, and they're reeeeeaaaally tall. But for 10 more whacks (25) they get you double the wood that size 3 trees give, saving you 5 durability on axes if you just aim for those. Not that's it's something you should try; it takes a while for them to show up and they're brief.

I also got a fish-farm mod, and it's actually pretty well balanced on its output. It can kick out more than one fish per harvest but it takes a while to get to that point. Kinda mat heavy too.

Another mod I got adds a daybreak to the time line. It cuts dusk in half to do so. But it looks fantastic. Functionally it operates the same way as dusk. Only instead of a red haze it's like a blue one.

There's also a mod called Architectural Geometry, that gives you a sort of fixed grid to place things on. Just helps to build a fancy looking fort or whatever. But I think it's bugged, because when you click to place a wall, it'll construct the wall wherever your mouse cursor is pointing. Which moves off point from your click as your character moves.

I got three mods that I've enabled but haven't directly tried yet - Break the Ice, letting you mine ponds in Winter so you can fish from them (they regrow ice in a few hours in-game time), Advanced Farming, which is another kind of farm that works in Winter (via greenhouse), grows faster I think, and I thiiiinnnnnnnk has the appropriate mat requirements to be balanced? Last is Beefalo Milk and Cheese. You can make these.

I also got Craftable Gears but it's out of date (not working). It's the only "craftable" mod I got because people do some cheating shit with it, like craftable TWIGS. What.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    So hey here's something to look up and keep an eye on.

Someone made a playable Link. His shtick is that he's faster and stronger (both in taking damage and dishing it out), but his hunger is only 100 and it drains faster. So you better kill shit. He also doesn't have a sanity bar so I think you can get away with eating monster meat. Aesthetically it's questionable but animates properly. There's a new crafting tab for "hero" items, which I didn't get a close look at. I saw that arrows are craftable but there's no bow in the mod yet.

You start out with a ton of stuff. Like so much it can't fit in your inventory. Which is a problem that will be addressed down the line, if the modmaker is truly continuing to work on it. The idea is to make the items something you find in the world. Also, the rupees that drop will be given a purpose (there's already an RPG mod that has a currency/quest system in it, so it's definitely doable). I can see this mod taking off in a big way.

Here's a list of the items you get, plus some details for the ones I've tried.
    The sword has infinite quality and doubles as a tree-chopper.
    The hammer is also infinite and smashes boulders.
    Boomerang again has infinite quality. I haven't tested it out.
    You get a lamp, but it pretty much seems to behave like a torch only way brighter. It burns faster in durability and who knows if you can make another.
    The Shield is freaking weird. It's equippable, but also open/closeable. It's a bigger backpack that doesn't have to be equipped (only to just open it). No idea if it has a combat use.
    Bunny Hat is in this. Link already moves pretty fast but with this infinite durability item it's like... damn. Way too fast.
    Red Tunic and Blue Tunic are in. I dunno if they do damage protection. They have infinite durability though, and share an equip slot with the shield. Supposedly they help you in extreme temperatures.
    Three spell crystals. No, I dunno what they do. They are apparently usable and Navi (who is with you) has a meter in place of sanity. Mana I guess.
    Empty jars. Three of them. I have no idea.
    A yoshi doll. Still no idea aside from a throwback to Link's Awakening.
    That eye of truth thing from Ocarina. It makes you see everything in insanity mode, but it goes in your weapon slot so you can't fight. I don't think.

Edit - OH! I forgot. If you have the sword equipped, you just slice down grass.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    So hey here's something to look up and keep an eye on.

Someone made a playable Link. His shtick is that he's faster and stronger (both in taking damage and dishing it out), but his hunger is only 100 and it drains faster. So you better kill shit. He also doesn't have a sanity bar so I think you can get away with eating monster meat. Aesthetically it's questionable but animates properly. There's a new crafting tab for "hero" items, which I didn't get a close look at. I saw that arrows are craftable but there's no bow in the mod yet.

You start out with a ton of stuff. Like so much it can't fit in your inventory. Which is a problem that will be addressed down the line, if the modmaker is truly continuing to work on it. The idea is to make the items something you find in the world. Also, the rupees that drop will be given a purpose (there's already an RPG mod that has a currency/quest system in it, so it's definitely doable). I can see this mod taking off in a big way.

Here's a list of the items you get, plus some details for the ones I've tried.
    The sword has infinite quality and doubles as a tree-chopper.
    The hammer is also infinite and smashes boulders.
    Boomerang again has infinite quality. I haven't tested it out.
    You get a lamp, but it pretty much seems to behave like a torch only way brighter. It burns faster in durability and who knows if you can make another.
    The Shield is freaking weird. It's equippable, but also open/closeable. It's a bigger backpack that doesn't have to be equipped (only to just open it). No idea if it has a combat use.
    Bunny Hat is in this. Link already moves pretty fast but with this infinite durability item it's like... damn. Way too fast.
    Red Tunic and Blue Tunic are in. I dunno if they do damage protection. They have infinite durability though, and share an equip slot with the shield. Supposedly they help you in extreme temperatures.
    Three spell crystals. No, I dunno what they do. They are apparently usable and Navi (who is with you) has a meter in place of sanity. Mana I guess.
    Empty jars. Three of them. I have no idea.
    A yoshi doll. Still no idea aside from a throwback to Link's Awakening.
    That eye of truth thing from Ocarina. It makes you see everything in insanity mode, but it goes in your weapon slot so you can't fight. I don't think.

Edit - OH! I forgot. If you have the sword equipped, you just slice down grass.

All that and no pictures to seduce me? Shame, shame on you.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I am ridiculously excited to crank up the multiplayer with both of my brothers; when we play co-op games, we are fiercely protective of each other, even if it's just against the enemy AI.

I can already see us working in differing biomes, providing communal chests to keep each other supplied with resources, tag-teaming boss mobs, cave diving in coordinated leapfrog stages ...

It's Monday morning and I'm at work and I should be in a piss poor mood, but that's just not possible right now.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    have a new playthrough on Reign of Giants set up; found Maxwell's door and built myself a secondary encampment next to it so I can throw myself into Adventure Mode whenever.
    Currently stuck in King of Winter; I feel like the Adventure Mode stuff might need to be slightly retooled for RoG because the way weather does damage seems way different than it used to be? I dunno. I might start a funsies round outside of the expansion and see if I can make a comparison.

• Options
    I imagine you can unlock Maxwell in pre-expansion and still have him for RoG.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Multiplayer fascinates me mostly for the reason that now I can set up bases faster. Namely, two or three people can scout further than one can early on; and gathering the stone, twigs and grass for farms and drying racks would go a lot quicker.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I imagine you can unlock Maxwell in pre-expansion and still have him for RoG.

Oh, I assume so. It was just interesting playing two concurrent rounds with the same Adventure Mode scenario but different world rules.

I am also excited for multiplayer, I think the challenges of collective play will be interesting for this game.

• Options
    I wonder how they will handle mods. On the one hand, you could download a master list from X player and import their installed mods (assuming steam workshop), but that would mean they would have to wait longer to play together outside vanilla. But on the other hand, that could be considered a necessary sacrifice for multiplayer gaming which is by no means essential.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    As mentioned, I actually have way more food than I need. The trouble is that it takes up to a little over a year to pull off a fully sustaining base camp and I find Summer for the first year to be basically a show-stopper on your growth. It gets really hard to move around unless you lucked out early into an icebox and some ice.

But that gets easier to solve if you have 2 to 3 people to explore with right off. You're more likely to find Gears. During summer itself, you can just send people out in shifts or leap-frog between endothermic fires. Prior to that point, it's trivially easy to have one guy focus on getting fuel, while another gets grass or twigs and another is just murdering Spiders or whatever.

It becomes way more practical to also have seasonal camps or a chain of production. The major biome I like best is grasslands with Beefalo.

That said, it'd be pretty nice to have a guy on pond duty. He just traps frogs and fishes and hangs them up to dry on-site, then moves that small jerky into an ice box. Then his output gets exported to a more centralized kitchen location. Spider guy does the same on-site for Monster Meat and produces the silk for the fishing rods. The two meat products get to Crocks to make completed dishes.

Farm arrays are also much easier to arrange and use, as a large enough array is more than enough to feed one or two people by itself during rainy Spring season. And eventually that can focus on Dragonfruit production.

I'd probably want a team of Wilson, Wickerbottom and Maxwell.
    Wilson has beard hairs, so everybody gets access to early Meat Effigies.
    Wickerbottom is the fast tech queen. Some her books are rather useful as well, especially for the giants.
    Maxwell is just generally low-maintenance, as he never needs Silk for his sanity. He can also harvest Evil Flowers without penalty if the party needs anything magic. And he's the best guy for abusing Wormholes if those happen to wind up in useful locations. Can also dig graves early game in the hopes of lucking into Gears.

So I expect everything to be bigger-faster-better with a team of people.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Don't Starve thread, we are having a problem that my searches aren't resolving. It seems whenever my girlfriend's character dies, the game isn't awarding any experience. This is obviously quite frustrating, and I've no idea what's caused it. Anyone else had this?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Has she unlocked all the characters other than the ones that have to have something DONE to unlock?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Looking at the wiki, she's not got Wigfrid yet, but everyone before, and nobody that requires other things to XP. I saw a thing on Klei's forums from over a year ago about deleting your profile because they changed how xp was awarded, but hoped that wasn't the situation here since it's the most recent version.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Does she have the realm of the giants DLC though?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Nope, just the default base game kept up-to-date on Steam, no DLC added.

edit: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH son of a bitch I just saw the Reign of Giants logo on Wigfrid, so the reason she's not getting more XP is because she's unlocked everyone who can be unlocked with XP and right. Okay. Well I feel like a dumbass.

Thanks guys, that's saved me some headaches!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    I read on the OP that the science machine prototypes carries over to the next game when you die, which helps making progress the next time.

But that doesn't seem to be the case for me. What am I missing?

• Options
    The OP has never been updated. That's how science worked WAAAAAAY back in the alpha. This is no longer the case.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    As mentioned, I actually have way more food than I need. The trouble is that it takes up to a little over a year to pull off a fully sustaining base camp and I find Summer for the first year to be basically a show-stopper on your growth. It gets really hard to move around unless you lucked out early into an icebox and some ice.

But that gets easier to solve if you have 2 to 3 people to explore with right off. You're more likely to find Gears. During summer itself, you can just send people out in shifts or leap-frog between endothermic fires. Prior to that point, it's trivially easy to have one guy focus on getting fuel, while another gets grass or twigs and another is just murdering Spiders or whatever.

It becomes way more practical to also have seasonal camps or a chain of production. The major biome I like best is grasslands with Beefalo.

That said, it'd be pretty nice to have a guy on pond duty. He just traps frogs and fishes and hangs them up to dry on-site, then moves that small jerky into an ice box. Then his output gets exported to a more centralized kitchen location. Spider guy does the same on-site for Monster Meat and produces the silk for the fishing rods. The two meat products get to Crocks to make completed dishes.

Farm arrays are also much easier to arrange and use, as a large enough array is more than enough to feed one or two people by itself during rainy Spring season. And eventually that can focus on Dragonfruit production.

Wickerbottom is the fast tech queen. Some her books are rather useful as well, especially for the giants.
    Maxwell is just generally low-maintenance, as he never needs Silk for his sanity. He can also harvest Evil Flowers without penalty if the party needs anything magic. And he's the best guy for abusing Wormholes if those happen to wind up in useful locations. Can also dig graves early game in the hopes of lucking into Gears.

three Woodies

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    The OP has never been updated. That's how science worked WAAAAAAY back in the alpha. This is no longer the case.

Heh, okay that expains it then.

• Options

three Woodies

I think my best run of that game was the time where I was a werebeaver pretty much the entire game
    Such tree
    Very destruction
    So Treeguard Piggy war
    Wow

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I honestly don't like Woodie much. Not because he's not lots of fun, but because he doesn't really feel like a serious character.
    If you're just going to be werebeaver forever and ever, you're not really playing the don't starve part of Don't Starve . . . just some kind of woodchucking simulator. Which will get old.
    If you actually try to go back to the survival and building parts of the game, then you wake up with low sanity and all your shit all over the place. And in any case, you get no choice about it because of the full moon. So it's in practice, the woodchucking part is not useful to the survival part at all.

Those playstyles just don't mesh at all. If I could swap playstyles without it being a complete detriment to the other, then Woodie would be a much better character.

Oh well, I guess I can just use him to get Wigfried XP then kill him off.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    I honestly don't like Woodie much. Not because he's not lots of fun, but because he doesn't really feel like a serious character.
    If you're just going to be werebeaver forever and ever, you're not really playing the don't starve part of Don't Starve . . . just some kind of woodchucking simulator. Which will get old.
    If you actually try to go back to the survival and building parts of the game, then you wake up with low sanity and all your shit all over the place. And in any case, you get no choice about it because of the full moon. So it's in practice, the woodchucking part is not useful to the survival part at all.

Those playstyles just don't mesh at all. If I could swap playstyles without it being a complete detriment to the other, then Woodie would be a much better character.

Oh well, I guess I can just use him to get Wigfried XP then kill him off.

The werebeaver is a pretty good tool for getting shit-tons of wood quickly, exploring, and dealing with powerful enemies head-on. It has it's trade-offs, but that keeps it balanced.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Last time I played this was shortly after winter was a thing, and I didn't even do that much then. Started up a new game and things are getting pretty weird already.

I don't even know what's happening here, some mechanical beings took the heat off me as I was being chased by a swarm of spiders.

And it's only day 2!

?.jpg

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Run sideways from the rhino thing, save the purple gems for when you have......

• Options
    Excellent . . . scourge the nests while your enemies fight.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    My first attempt went 17 days! The second attempt... everything is nightmares? Is there like, level scaling or something?

BTW, this is a super impressive survival game, seems like top of the heap.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    My first attempt went 17 days! The second attempt... everything is nightmares? Is there like, level scaling or something?

BTW, this is a super impressive survival game, seems like top of the heap.

Tougher things tend to start showing up as time passes if that's what you mean by "level scaling". But its important to note that your own hit-points and damage are entirely dependent on weapons and armor, and you are very fragile without armor. Its always a shock to suddenly die on day 100000 because you didn't notice your armor only had 3% durability left so, you know, watch out for that. But basically, if you want to survive long term you need to:

A: Find ways to resurrect yourself in case of death
    and/or
    B: Find ways to deal with enemies indirectly.

Touchstones and crystals are necessary for A, tooth traps, bee mines, pig-man armies and a good stock of boomerangs are all good choices for B.