As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lincoln] Park

manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?!Registered User regular
edited November 2012 in Social Entropy++
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJcuYKyHEgs

Wait, wrong movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSAbAuLhqs

This movie was so good. So good. Just got back from it.

Talk about how good Lincoln was everyone.
Oh man at the end my feeeeeels :( Yes, it's a hundred year old spoiler but it was still depressing as hell.

Anyway, this was the first movie in a while I felt Spielberg just knocked it out of the park. So to speak.

manwiththemachinegun on

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I couldn't believe it turns out that John Wilkes Booth was his father all along

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    In the end, it doesn't even matter.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The CGI dragon duel between Grant and Lee was the only part I wish they had spent more money on.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Probably my favorite thread title in a good long while

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    A movie about a amusement park full of cloned Abraham Lincolns would be pretty cool.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    It got really crazy when General Lee murdered the heads of the Red Dragon Syndicate.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Bro, spoiler that shit

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The way they handled Lincoln's assassination was just fucking awesome

Genuine spoilers
    Wrong theater, assholes!

Loved that shit

What movie will go up against this at the Oscars next year?

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    i heard lincoln kills hitler in this movie

confirm/deny

broken image link
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

confirm/deny

He kills, like, 30 Hitlers.

You aren't aware of the alternate timelines thing?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

look at dave chappelle

he just a baby

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    CRAWLING

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Daniel Day-Lewis actually went back in time to study Lincoln...wait, I've said too much.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Daniel Day Lewis got mixed up and thought he was cast in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

It's a shame all those people had to die, but you can really see the weight in his eyes about going to war.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

confirm/deny

1046501timelincoln1supe.jpg

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    This is my favorite film of the year. Nothing else even comes close. It is a crime if Day-Lewis doesn't get his third Oscar because of this movie.

Before seeing this, I had never personally witnessed a movie viewing at a theater that concluded with a standing ovation from the audience. This movie brought everybody in my packed theater to their feet at the end credits. It was a beautiful moment.

• Options
    JoeUser wrote: »

confirm/deny

FUCK, I LOVE TIME LINCOLN.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I can't wait for the sequel Johnson starring Dabney Coleman as Andrew Johnson.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I generally like Daniel Day Lewis, but Spielberg's penchant for sentimentality has made me super wary of this sort of treatment. Dunno if I'll end up watching this or not.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

confirm/deny

The 0 on his left ear looks like a hoop earring. Lincoln went around time and he got faaaaabulous.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I generally like Daniel Day Lewis, but Spielberg's penchant for sentimentality has made me super wary of this sort of treatment. Dunno if I'll end up watching this or not.
    that article is filled with more white liberal guilt than the movie holy shit

• Options
    As in “Schindler’s List” and “Saving Private Ryan,” his purpose is more to entertain and inspire than to educate.

you're shitting me here?

a movie is made to entertain people?

well I never

• Options
    also, the movie was entirely about lincoln's efforts to get the 13th amendment through the house

that's it

it was not about emancipation as a whole, or the climate in DC, or the accomplishments of african americans during the bellum period

it was completely about the 13th amendment in the house

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I now feel that 13th Amendment should be a MC's name

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    As in “Schindler’s List” and “Saving Private Ryan,” his purpose is more to entertain and inspire than to educate.

you're shitting me here?

well I never

Is this a legit criticism of the article? That she identified that the movie emphasized narrative themes over facts? You know not all movies are like that, right?

• Options

you're shitting me here?

well I never

Is this a legit criticism of the article? That she identified that the movie emphasized narrative themes over facts? You know not all movies are like that, right?

yes they are called documentaries

• Options
    and even then the assertion that it does not education is flat out wrong

gonna go on a limb and say not too many people understand that lincoln straight up bought votes and artificially prolonged the war

• Options
    also, the movie was entirely about lincoln's efforts to get the 13th amendment through the house

that's it

it was not about emancipation as a whole, or the climate in DC, or the accomplishments of african americans during the bellum period

At least a few of the suggestions made in the article seem directly related to that, others definitely didn't, but some did. Hypothetical scenes aside, her point seems to be that a hyper-narrow focus on Lincoln himself seems to exclude necessarily attendant factors in the development of the 13th Amendment. And the movie plot does seem to extend past the 13th passing the house by several months.

Anyway, I can't comment on all of her points, since I haven't seen it yet. I just linked it as illustrative of my general concerns about Spielberg's directing style and Lincoln's image as a messianic figure.

• Options
    and even then the assertion that it does not education is flat out wrong

gonna go on a limb and say not too many people understand that lincoln straight up bought votes and artificially prolonged the war

I think you're reading that sentence totally differently than I am. I think the crux of it is the word, "more."

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    how much is Ex Parte Merryman discussed in the movie

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2012

that's it

At least a few of the suggestions made in the article seem directly related to that, others definitely didn't, but some did. Hypothetical scenes aside, her point seems to be that a hyper-narrow focus on Lincoln himself seems to exclude necessarily attendant factors in the development of the 13th Amendment. And the movie plot does seem to extend past the 13th passing the house by several months.

Anyway, I can't comment on all of her points, since I haven't seen it yet. I just linked it as illustrative of my general concerns about Spielberg's directing style and Lincoln's image as a messianic figure.

you need to see it then

her points are all completely unrepresentative of what the movie actually was about

it's tantamount to complaining that saving private ryan did not properly illustrate the efforts put forth by the jewish resistance in the ghettos, it's historically accurate but completely ancillary to the intent of the movie

on the spiielberg directing style I agree though, and there were some very speilberg moments, but it was overall excellent

and he does not pull punches with the questionable and downright illegal shit lincoln does

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    This is one of few movies I'm interested in seeing.

Lincoln lives happily ever after, right?

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This is one of few movies I'm interested in seeing.

Lincoln lives happily ever after, right?

WHY WOULDN'T YOU SPOILER THAT, JERK

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I haven't seen Skyfall yet, so it is down to that or this for seeing a film this weekend.

Hmm...

I may go towards the master thespian Daniel Day-Lewis with this one.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »
    CRAWLING

Joanne K.Rowling in my skin

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I saw the movie, its entretaining, like... "Underworld", or something like that, it has good speed and timing, I never checked who the director was, I only now realice it was Spielberg, I seriously thought it was someone younger, willing to take more risks. For those who havent seen it, its not a documentary, its a very fun movie, good action, I dont WANT to like the movie, but I ended up liking it.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Why wouldn't you want to like the movie?

You payed money for it???

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I think he's talking about the Vampire Hunter thing, because Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" starring Daniel Day-Lewis is not filled with action, nor is it comparable to fucking "Underworld".

• Options
    I am enraptured in confusion.