As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new STEAM thread

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Flash
    Hotline Miami ...bought
    Fallen enchantress and me2

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Do we think Steam Proper is going to match Amazon's Dark Souls sale?

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Do we think Steam Proper is going to match Amazon's Dark Souls sale?

Hopefully because I can't buy from amazon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Hmmm.... Mass Effect 2 for $6...

I've already gotten the platinum trophy for it on PS3, and 875 achievement points on 360. Do I really need to own the game on a 3rd platform?

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I'd bet on, if not matching, at least seeing a daily or flash on Borderlands 2, Dark Souls, and Dishonored. The latter for sure since it's been half off on pretty much every website this week. Amazon has good prices, but their individual sale prices are often met. It's their bundles that set them apart.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    EmberquickEmberquick Master of Dungeons Deep UndergroundRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Really, my biggest issue with Skyrim so far has been just how slow it is. I mean.. it seems like I went out and had 1 encounter and suddenly an hour had passed.

Then again... ridable dragons are in the game's future. And I will support any game that offers ridable dragons.

Oh, it can greedily eat your time, no doubt. But once you get used to how the game works, you can play it at whatever pace you want.

Speed run through the main quest without deviating, tell the main quest to bugger off and become a treasure hunter/blacksmith/master wizard/killer for hire, or just turn off the quest markers, refuse to fast travel, and just wander the land discovering what is over the next rise.

Oh, and ride dragons. Imma ride *all* the dragons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I've already gotten the platinum trophy for it on PS3, and 875 achievement points on 360. Do I really need to own the game on a 3rd platform?

I wouldn't. Bioware DLC on the PC is a pain in the ass to deal with/purchase/use, or so I'm told. Double shame because ME2's DLC was pretty damn good.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

For that 6$ you could buy a game you haven't played yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Ashe wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence about Skyrim. I played Elder Scrolls III a long time ago and didn't really like it, how similar to III is Skyrim?

Can you remember what in particular you disliked about Morrowind? The combat? The sandboxtastic nature of the game? Fargoth? It'd help narrow it down to whether you'd enjoy Skyrim or not.

Personally, I think Skyrim is utterly awesome. Sure, it has its flaws, but get all the pesky bits modded up, add a bunch of extra content, immerse yourself in the snow and you'll most likely have a blast.

Well I remember not liking the skill system in Morrowind, and the combat was OK but not great. The sandboxy nature of the game was fine. To be honest I didn't get very far into Morrowind either, maybe an hour tops. Right now I'm heavily leaning toward picking up Skyrim because I'll probably have a good bit of free time starting in about a week and a half to two weeks from now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Hmmm, Hotline Miami 50% off

but I just bought Deadlight!

Newell is not making this easy

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    The main gameplay mechanic in all Bethesda games is exploration. Everything else is window dressing.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Emberquick wrote: »
    Really, my biggest issue with Skyrim so far has been just how slow it is. I mean.. it seems like I went out and had 1 encounter and suddenly an hour had passed.

Then again... ridable dragons are in the game's future. And I will support any game that offers ridable dragons.

Oh, it can greedily eat your time, no doubt. But once you get used to how the game works, you can play it at whatever pace you want.

Speed run through the main quest without deviating, tell the main quest to bugger off and become a treasure hunter/blacksmith/master wizard/killer for hire, or just turn off the quest markers, refuse to fast travel, and just wander the land discovering what is over the next rise.

What do you do regarding how.. quiet the game is? Part of me feels I should be playing some background music, but the other part of me makes me fear I won't be able to hear anyone talking or hear the in-game music, and I'll be breaking the atmosphere.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Non sale Steam news: Some older Square Eidos games popped up in the registry, namely the Legacy of Kain and older Tomb Raider games. Presumably these are the GOG versions, as the release list matches up (ex, no Blood Omens, but the Soul Reavers and Defiance). Random link http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/18300

I bought the entire series a short while ago on gog.com first and then on PSN. What's one more set?

That's awesome news! Maybe this is even part of a promo to work up some interest in the series again.

I had a devil of a time getting the original Soul Reaver to run on a PC. Did the GOG version fix compatibility issues for the most part?

Skexis on
  • Options
    I'm still on the fence about Skyrim. I played Elder Scrolls III a long time ago and didn't really like it, how similar to III is Skyrim?

Can you remember what in particular you disliked about Morrowind? The combat? The sandboxtastic nature of the game? Fargoth? It'd help narrow it down to whether you'd enjoy Skyrim or not.

Personally, I think Skyrim is utterly awesome. Sure, it has its flaws, but get all the pesky bits modded up, add a bunch of extra content, immerse yourself in the snow and you'll most likely have a blast.

Well I remember not liking the skill system in Morrowind, and the combat was OK but not great. The sandboxy nature of the game was fine. To be honest I didn't get very far into Morrowind either, maybe an hour tops. Right now I'm heavily leaning toward picking up Skyrim because I'll probably have a good bit of free time starting in about a week and a half to two weeks from now.

From what you say here, I think you'll enjoy Skyrim a lot. Bethesda has done a lot to refine the game.

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    Damn... Fallen Enchantress is 50% off and it just came out like a month ago...

No! I must stay strong!

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Non sale Steam news: Some older Square Eidos games popped up in the registry, namely the Legacy of Kain and older Tomb Raider games. Presumably these are the GOG versions, as the release list matches up (ex, no Blood Omens, but the Soul Reavers and Defiance). Random link http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/18300

I bought the entire series a short while ago on gog.com first and then on PSN. What's one more set?
    Soul Reaver? In my Steams? Amahzing news.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

From what you say here, I think you'll enjoy Skyrim a lot. Bethesda has done a lot to refine the game.

Yeah, sounds like you'll be able to get into Skyrim. Definitely more accessible than Morrowind was. You should go for it!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The main gameplay mechanic in all Bethesda games is exploration. Everything else is window dressing.

Yeah. This. Discovering the great unknown is what keeps me coming back.

I'm just now doing my first play of Fallout New Vegas, and the sense of intrigue when you see something way off in the distance, start walking in that direction, and have that little triangle pop up on your compass never gets old!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    TPSou wrote: »
    TPSou wrote: »
    Anyone found any good deals on Lego Lord of the Rings that I would be able to access in the UK?

You can use the 25% off coupon on GMG on it but note, the game was supposed to be out on the 13th(NA)/23rd(EU) for consoles and PC and both those dates have come and gone with no PC release. No reason has been given for the delay and no real news as of yet. The Lego store has it delayed til the 27th though so hopefully that pans out.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Posting this again because it's awesome.

Guys, I just found this on Reddit:
    Plentiful Paradox Package : $9.99 contains (all steam keys):
    Crusader Kings II
    Magicka Collection
    Magicka The Stars Are Left DLC
    Sword of the Stars Complete Collection
    Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter
    Victoria II

Pint Sized Paradox Package : $5.99 contains (all steam):
    Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields DLC Pack
    Crusader Kings II: Mongols DLC Pack
    Crusader Kings II: Ruler Designer DLC Pack
    Crusader Kings II: Songs of Albion DLC Pack
    Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Faith DLC Pack
    Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields DLC PackCCrusader Kings II: Songs of the Holy Land DLC Pack
    Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields DLC Pack
    Majesty 2 Collection (all majesty 2 content)
    Majesty Gold - HD
    Warlock: Master of the Arcane

11/23-11/26:

Paradox Seas Bundle : $9.99 contains (all steam):
    Commander: Conquest of Americas - Colonial Navy
    Commander: Conquest of Americas
    East India Company Collection
    Naval War: Arctic Circle
    Pirates of Black Cove - Origins DLC
    Pirates of Black Cove
    Ship Simulator Extreme
    Victoria II
    Victoria II - A House Divided

Majesty Bundle : $9.99 contains (all steam):
    Defenders of Ardania Battlemagic
    Defenders of Ardania
    Defenders of Ardania Conjurers Tricks
    Majesty 2 Collection (contains all Majesty 2 content)
    Majesty Gold - HD
    Warlock Master of the Arcane Artifacts DLC
    Warlock Master of the Power of the Serpent DLC
    Warlock Master of the Return of the Elves DLC
    Warlock Master of the Powerful Lords DLC
    Warlock Master of the Arcane

Paradox War Chest : $7.49 contains (all Steam except Achtung Panzer):
    Achtung Panzer Kharkov 1943
    Gettysburg: Armored Warfare
    Hearts of Iron III Collection
    King Arthur Collections
    King Arthur II
    Victoria II
    Victoria II - A House Divided

Hopefully there's something in there you guys want.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Emberquick wrote: »

What do you do regarding how.. quiet the game is? Part of me feels I should be playing some background music, but the other part of me makes me fear I won't be able to hear anyone talking or hear the in-game music, and I'll be breaking the atmosphere.

I play it with a good set of headphones. Makes it nice and atmospheric: when you're alone in the woods it *should* be quiet. But then with headphones you won't miss the wolf howling in the distance up ahead or the bear behind you to the right telling you to step off before it has to come and make you step off.

If the quiet gets to you though, just bump up the music level in the options a bit. The music is definitely good enough for that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man I want to play all these games, but I just don't have the time right now with baby, finals, work, and some upcoming trials all taking attention away from gaming.

<looks longingly at XCOM and Dishonored> I'll pick you guys up next time, besides, the coin I spend on you will be better put to smaller games like Hotline Miami that will run on my laptop and keep me entertained over holiday travel.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    So I'm sitting around playing some borderlands2 when this motherfucker: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Athenor sends me a volley of gifts.

I'm all like pffffffffffft like I'm going to quit out of Borderlands2 but my OCD kicks in and so I check to see what he sent

@Athenor sends me

Skyrim
    Hearthfire
    Dawnguard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcE5wjCrQ1c

I tell you what, this classhole this classhole right here has a tophat on top of his tophat.

So fucking blown away right now from this.

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    <looks longingly at XCOM and Dishonored> I'll pick you guys up next time
    Unacceptable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I've been away from this thread far too long. :) Sadly, my Wii U purchase and need of a car is going to slow down any major gift giving.. but I was moved by what an awesome guy you are.

And because somehow I needed to get you back for the fucking rats.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    And the nice double Ds

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Looks like amazon has the list of games the $5 codes will be good for in January, http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?tag=cheapassgam08-20&docId=1000728511

The objectively correct choice in this situation, should you have somehow screwed up for the next 5 weeks or so, is HOTLINE MIAMI.

Hotline Miami is currently 5 bucks on Steam. And I am getting it now.

• Options
    Oh, BTW, @iRevert - if you have Borderlands 2 for the 360, you might want to take it off your steam wishlist unless you want to double dip. It was a coinflip on which one I was going to get you.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Oh, BTW, @iRevert - if you have Borderlands 2 for the 360, you might want to take it off your steam wishlist unless you want to double dip. It was a coinflip on which one I was going to get you.

Negative ghost rider. @lolo gifted it to me yesterday it should have autoremoved from the wishlist when I installed it.

El Edito
    Yeah it doesn't show for me, not to mention the little thingy in my sig, I think Steam is still messing with you.

iRevert on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, everyone in this thread is awesome.

• Options
    Hmm. Weird. Well, all the better then! :)

• Options
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    <looks longingly at XCOM and Dishonored> I'll pick you guys up next time
    Unacceptable.

This forum.

This crazy little corner of the internet.

I was serious, I made the personal call that I wasn't going to pick up XCOM or Dishonored this go'round and I was okay with that. But @PierceNeck looked at that and said "No, the Newell must be served," and sent me both XCOM (and the Elite Soldier Pack) and Dishonored. And I double checked, because this guy, this crazy guy doesn't even have the games himself and they're both on his wishlist. I don't know what to say. The classy, it shines.

This crazy forum.

God I love it.

But before I pay the classiness forward, since I mentioned the little guy, here's a picture for your viewing pleasure of the latest geek (with his cuddle dalek, "Lucky") to join our little community.

IMG_20121120_214944.jpg

IMG_20121120_215036.jpg

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Final Day
    Happy Birthday to me! Contest run through Saturday night.

Augmented Edition (also includes Missing Link DLC)
    signature.png

Just Cause 2 (and also Just Cause 1)
    signature.png

signature.png

Also:
    Last Remnant XJJTW-REN2M-CTN7I
    Humble Bundle 3 V49CG-2VGZN-HPT2L
    Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl RKR8P-QNVPH-T4QID

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Hotline! Now to wait for noon to see if I can pair it up with anything.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Final Day
    Happy Birthday to me! Contest run through Saturday night.

Augmented Edition (also includes Missing Link DLC)
    signature.png

Just Cause 2 (and also Just Cause 1)
    signature.png

signature.png

Also:
    Last Remnant XJJTW-REN2M-CTN7I
    Humble Bundle 3 V49CG-2VGZN-HPT2L
    Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl RKR8P-QNVPH-T4QID

Happy belated birthday to you. Grabbed stalker because honestly I always was interested in it. Thanks a lot dude.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    So far I got: Mark of the Ninja -> Done a bunch of levels already, I love it!

Got Walking Dead too, since everyone and their mothers seem to recommend it. Probably gonna start it up sometime this weekend!

I heard good things about Max Payne 3 and 15$ for it seems reasonable. unfortunately looks like it's a 35gb download? That's more than half my download limit.. (thank you shitty canadian internet providers) So yeah I'd have the game for cheap but would probably end up making me bust my monthly limit and pay up some extra cash.

Also keeping an eye on Xcom, if it ever gets a really great sale I might pick it up. 30 something $ is still too much right now. Not sure about other cheap indy games, there's just so many of them to choose from.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    OK @DoctorArch decided I wouldn't wait for Hotline: Miami and gifted it to me. Joke's on him, I'm at my parents' house so I can't murder people just yet.

• Options
    Round 1, letting these run a little long so anyone who wants to enter can get an entry in. Hopefully steamgifts won't be borked for an entire week, because of this risk I'm going to only do a couple of games to start, once the sale is over and steamgifts stabilizes I'll go apeshit.

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Anyone else unable to add funds to their Steam wallet at the moment?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Currently playing through rage and wishing that this satisfying combat was in Fallout 3.

edit: and that I had a bigger world to explore.

RoyceSraphim on
This discussion has been closed.