As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Auto[chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    okay to be honest: most of my ill will towards TES online is because I do not care for the style at all

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    the-elder-scrolls-online-pic-5.jpg

I can't think of something more "generic current MMO" than this

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I just wish everyone playing MMOs now could have experienced the sillyness that was the EQ original quest giver system. The quest giver would have a highlighted word in the text that they would say when you greeted them. Then you would have to type a question in say about that subject. So:
    Quest Giver: Hello Sir Ruggedwang, we're having problems with the kobolds.
    Sir Ruggedwang: (types) What's wrong with the kobolds?
    Quest Giver: (gives the rest of the quest)

That's how they wanted it to work. But what it turned into is people realizing that it was just query words + subject that triggered the quest so it just turned into a ton of people spamming "What kobolds, Who kobolds, Where kobolds, When kobolds". Pretty hilarious stuff when there were a ton of people around.

that was exactly the coversation system Garriot invented for Ultima 4 in 1985.

actually come to think of it the one in Ultima was a bit more complex than that as there would be hidden keywords for some people that you wouldn't know to type unless you followed clues given by other npcs.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I just wish everyone playing MMOs now could have experienced the sillyness that was the EQ original quest giver system. The quest giver would have a highlighted word in the text that they would say when you greeted them. Then you would have to type a question in say about that subject. So:

That's how they wanted it to work. But what it turned into is people realizing that it was just query words + subject that triggered the quest so it just turned into a ton of people spamming "What kobolds, Who kobolds, Where kobolds, When kobolds". Pretty hilarious stuff when there were a ton of people around.

Quests were also often largely puzzles with cryptic clues in the game lore. Class epic quests were crazy!

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Hooray, my new phone has arrived at my house

My landlady subdued the fedex guy before he could cough twice and slap the SORRY WE MISSED YOU sticker on the door

I came home yesterday to around $900 in packages just sitting in the hallway in front of my apartment

Gee thanks UPS

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    the-elder-scrolls-online-pic-5.jpg

I can't think of something more "generic current MMO" than this

Needs darkly coloured elves.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular

Man, I don't even remember there being a highlighted word like that for quests.

• Options
    We don't need more MMOs, Guild Wars 2 is civilization

It just needs more endgame content and some kind of treadmill for me to run on, even if its artificial

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I thought the whole point of Guild Wars 2 was to avoid the treadmill.

• Options
    mrflippy wrote: »

Man, I don't even remember there being a highlighted word like that for quests.

It was usually in brackets like. "Hey what's the deal with that [dwarf] over there?" but there were also some hidden responses. I remember some in Plane of Hate being pretty funny.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    It has a cosmetic treadmill that rivals anything Wow's ever done in the form of legendary equipment

That's just not my kind of treadmill. Fractals are close to my kind of treadmill, and I have confidence at some point they'll have a treadmill like apparatus in place that appeals to me without getting in the way of anyone else

override367 on
  • Options
    I love the events and the sense of immersion in Guild Wars 2, but I am terrible at that combat system. It makes me feel like a dinosaur.

• Options
    Every so often I feel nostalgic for Everquest and then I remember camping mob spawns or corpse running for hours on end and that clears things up pretty quickly.

• Options
    Idea for an original MMO setting in like, three minutes:

1600s russia. Here's your concept art made 200+ years ago. Boom, there, done.

Avvakum_by_Myasoyedov.jpeg
    800px-Surikov_morozova.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I solo'd the Arah gate event on my elementalist for around 17 minutes taking only a couple of hits

I was a leaf on the wind

GW2's high skill cap is nice, sometimes things feel a little disjointed but the basic framework of what they have is really something special

override367 on
  • Options
    Every so often I feel nostalgic for Everquest and then I remember camping mob spawns or corpse running for hours on end and that clears things up pretty quickly.

I remember a friend of mine saving up plat to buy a fungi tunic for alts.

It was amazing.

The most amazing.

Unkillable Iksar Monk running around murdering everything for like 30 levels.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I love the events and the sense of immersion in Guild Wars 2, but I am terrible at that combat system. It makes me feel like a dinosaur.

Does it also make you feel like a dinosaur when I exterminate your asshole with an extinction-level-event deep dicking every night?

Wait.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Hooray, my new phone has arrived at my house

My landlady subdued the fedex guy before he could cough twice and slap the SORRY WE MISSED YOU sticker on the door

I came home yesterday to around $900 in packages just sitting in the hallway in front of my apartment

Gee thanks UPS

Were they in the right apartment building at least? Our guy has trouble with reading comprehension

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    stress eating is the best

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What's funny is they already have a great game they could take multiplayer. If Skyrim was multiplayer I'd be so happy. I just want to get 3-4 people together, group up, and play shit. Diablo multiplayer type games are comparatively better than MMO things like wow.

I've had enough fill of dealing with 8 year olds in skimpy armor bitch about upgrades. When it's just me and my friends after we make some kills and have enough time to divvy up the loot, we do so. No more herding cats = happy bowen.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    wazilla wrote: »

I remember a friend of mine saving up plat to buy a fungi tunic for alts.

It was amazing.

The most amazing.

Unkillable Iksar Monk running around murdering everything for like 30 levels.

I was actually a pretty good enchanter in vanilla EQ. Didn't do much end game stuff, but man, it was such a rush to stop trains or lock down multiple mobs at once.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    When I got all my computer components for my computer, UPS left $1500 worth of computer parts in my open garage. THANKS GUYS!

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    been watchin' some youtubes of Atari games for ideas.

Now I'm sure chat is going to get all judgey and shit all over this guy as soon as they see him (because that's what you people do) but he actually does a very set of reviews here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVpMBx8BF6c

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    You guys' problems are all from living where people are your biggest threat.

No one steals computer parts from me. Rattlesnakes don't even have hands, they wouldn't want them anyway.

• Options
    We should get a Torchlight II group going or something.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    One of my favorite thing to do in Skyrim was use the console to turn on no-clipping and just flying around the game map over mountains an rivers. Even on low settings on a 2008 MacBook with the shared 9400m it looked fucking gooooorgeous. I really wish I'd gotten to play that game on a powerhouse computer on ultra settings. I can only imagine.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

No one steals computer parts from me. Rattlesnakes don't even have hands, they wouldn't want them anyway.

I would be scared to death of opening boxes containing rattlesnakes though.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I have TL2, barely touched

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2012
    I'm not even being facetious.

I don't regret eating a pile of hot wings and waffle fries

because fuck this shit

Vanguard on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    WoW is no longer the behemoth it once was. GW2 looks to be a vastly superior game.

That said, I'd be more enthusiastic about the idea of MMOrrowind if one of the defining features of Bethesda games wasn't "trivial to break balance"
    A lot of dudes I knew played GW2 for launch and then went straight back to WoW for MoP.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

I imagine rattlesnakes would like hands if the hands themselves were just more rattlesnake heads they could use to both grasp and bite things

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Vanguard what's up

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I did my exercises as per therapist instructions for the first time.

Some of them fucking hurt.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    <snip>
    800px-Surikov_morozova.jpg

What's going on in this picture?

It looks like a very elaborate death-sled.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    How is Torchlight 2. I really enjoyed the first one. But there are just so many games to play for me right now I haven't even looked at videos of Torchlight 2.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    PATIENT SAYS HES DEPRESSED. DOCTOR SAYS "TREATMENT: GO SEE GREAT CLOWN PAGLIACCI". PATIENT SAYS "PAGLIACCI? HA HA, BITCHIN, I LOVE THAT GUY"

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    WoW is no longer the behemoth it once was. GW2 looks to be a vastly superior game.

That said, I'd be more enthusiastic about the idea of MMOrrowind if one of the defining features of Bethesda games wasn't "trivial to break balance"
    A lot of dudes I knew played GW2 for launch and then went straight back to WoW for MoP.

They are fucking crazy. They may have also played WoW as their first MMO.

Those that came from EQ and DAoC... GW2 is by far the most superior game.

So little to manage that I can actually play the game instead of fucking "spreadsheet simulator 2012."

The lack of addons makes it even better, no one can tell me "hey we really need you to pick up the pace because you're using knockbacks instead of burning all your cooldowns to get that extra 10 dps."

Fuck those games. I'm sick of not having fun.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I loved wow for my guild. I just can't go back to the game though cause its still WoW and I played WoW for a very long time.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    I wish gw2 was more fun for me

it was okay. Haven't gone back to it since a week or so after it came out.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I loved wow for my guild. I just can't go back to the game though cause its still WoW and I played WoW for a very long time.

I'm in the same boat as you. Loved my guild but it slowly started to come apart and then I lost interest as time went on and just don't want to ever get back into it after sinking so much time in. Still, got to run with a good group of folks and kill The Lich King a bunch of times. Including a one shot run through. I was most happy about that one.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
This discussion has been closed.