As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Community: let's crap out this piece of crap [S6 March 17th]

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    So much onions in everything, they should only be in Annie's item because she's the worst.

So much items in everything too. Magnitude's pancakes were good with the white chocolate chips and granola, stop there!

AND ANOTHER THING, how could the show screw up Magnitude's name by making it Magnitude, instead of Magnetude? Because that's how you combine magnetic & attitude!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They should have done Britta's dream bit a little longer and showed some things about her psychological makeup.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Naah, I think the episode with her parents explained it. Shitty home life, and then she never really grew up.

sig.gif
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Huh. Well, episode 4 wasn't bad, but I don't think it was as good as the previous episodes this season.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    thanks for the reminder on the new episode

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    That was one of the weirder episodes. Although, Annie did pretty much summarize the whole episode
    "I am at a total loss about what lesson to learn from any of this."

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Dean's story was pretty weak, but I thought that the Chang/Annie thing was good.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    That was one of the weirder episodes. Although, Annie did pretty much summarize the whole episode
    That's just Annie being Annie. The lesson of Community has always been that suffering is valuable--fitting for a show about a group of people in educational purgatory, struggling through bizarre and difficult circumstances in the hopes of coming out better people on the other side. Chang's plotline (a riff on Whiplash) exemplifies this concept, as the abuse the director heaps on his head ultimately helps Chang to find the deep sadness and self-loathing underlying his role, and then to spread that empathy to others, moving the audience to tears and showing the Dean the error of his bird-nest-moving ways. Meanwhile, both the Dean's story and Annie's showcase theme in negative. Typically the Dean's complex sexuality is played for laughs, while Annie is usually someone who succeeds through hard work and excessive determination. In this episode, the Dean's sexuality becomes lauded as a positive attribute, but it's not supposed to be this easy to be different; guilt over his position gnaws at the Dean until order is restored when he confesses to being something so shameful the world can't help but go back to mocking and marginalizing him for it. Annie, meanwhile, also gets to receive shallow validation for being something she's not, and as a result neither grows nor learns from the experience.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    abotkin wrote: »
    Huh. Well, episode 4 wasn't bad, but I don't think it was as good as the previous episodes this season.

I liked it better than the last ep, actually.

Loved the crack about the missing IT lady.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Episode was ok, not at a season 4 level but more like a second half of 5.

I do not like the school board people. I don't know if I've written that before but they're just dumb and lazy, which made the Dean plot (until the very end) seem hackneyed and much more network sitcom weak.

The Chang/Annie story was pretty darn good, although I wish the audience in the theater didn't oversell the play to a ridiculous degree.

It sort of feels like some kind of lowbrow gremlin sneaks in at night, probably after eating past midnight, and rewrites some jokes and sticks the green sheets into the script and no one objects.

The baby bird thing stuck with me because as a kid I tried to save a lone baby bird abandoned by its mom and I gotta stop writing because I thought that was sealed off in my memories water's leaking through....

• Options
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    abotkin wrote: »

I liked it better than the last ep, actually.

Loved the crack about the missing IT lady.

Now they need a Fight Club episode, where Frankie realizes that she was the IT lady all along.

Also, the IT lady is a serial killer.

• Options
    I'm calling it now: Series Finale ends with Chang getting re-married to his wife.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    That's just Annie being Annie. The lesson of Community has always been that suffering is valuable--fitting for a show about a group of people in educational purgatory, struggling through bizarre and difficult circumstances in the hopes of coming out better people on the other side. Chang's plotline (a riff on Whiplash) exemplifies this concept, as the abuse the director heaps on his head ultimately helps Chang to find the deep sadness and self-loathing underlying his role, and then to spread that empathy to others, moving the audience to tears and showing the Dean the error of his bird-nest-moving ways. Meanwhile, both the Dean's story and Annie's showcase theme in negative. Typically the Dean's complex sexuality is played for laughs, while Annie is usually someone who succeeds through hard work and excessive determination. In this episode, the Dean's sexuality becomes lauded as a positive attribute, but it's not supposed to be this easy to be different; guilt over his position gnaws at the Dean until order is restored when he confesses to being something so shameful the world can't help but go back to mocking and marginalizing him for it. Annie, meanwhile, also gets to receive shallow validation for being something she's not, and as a result neither grows nor learns from the experience.

I wanted to click agree to this post, but I've lost that button.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »

I wanted to click agree to this post, but I've lost that button.

In a way, we've all lost a button.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    6 seasons and a theatrical adaptation

(from the latest ep)
    CBfZx5bUwAA6sSA.jpg:large

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    One important note in this episode is that Annie legitimately was being a terrible actress, and making the role impossible to take seriously. And the director really was treating her with kids gloves.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    One important note in this episode is that Annie legitimately was being a terrible actress, and making the role impossible to take seriously. And the director really was treating her with kids gloves.

I just assumed for the first half of the episode that he cast her in an attempt to bang her. Speaking of which, I had a hard time thinking about the character without being reminded of his even douchier Parks and Rec character. Guy really needs to play a few nice guys before he gets the Draco Malfoy typecasting.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options

And Annie Kim was equally bad, but in the opposite way in that she seemed to be doing barely more than reading lines.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options

I just assumed for the first half of the episode that he cast her in an attempt to bang her. Speaking of which, I had a hard time thinking about the character without being reminded of his even douchier Parks and Rec character. Guy really needs to play a few nice guys before he gets the Draco Malfoy typecasting.

Oh man, you should see him on The League.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Wash wrote: »

Oh man, you should see him on The League.

Yeah, he's definitely already typecast in most of what he shows up in, and I firmly believe it's because of his character on The League.

Warning: NSFW language. Seriously.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHhhNme8t_w

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Episode 4 had some real laugh out loud moments for me, enjoyed it a lot.
    Dean plot was a bit weak but worth it for the silent talking with Jeff and the Dean in his office, Chang/Annie was great for the abuse then the twist turn on Annie. And nice to see her wrestling with her desire to be the success vs sticking up for a friend. Props for not yanking the win away from Chang at the last second too.

• Options
    It was pretty stupid that they did not change the gender of Daniel-San. It guess they were playing off the idea of young boys being played by women in the theater.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It was pretty stupid that they did not change the gender of Daniel-San. It guess they were playing off the idea of young boys being played by women in the theater.

what

i thought it was obvious that they did, since they recast the love interest as a guy

also i disagree with most everyone in this thread, i really liked this episode

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Also I'm showing the wifi bit to my boss when I'm next at work. We have wifi problems, and "we have oxygen, we need wifi" is going to be my new catchphrase.

• Options
    edited April 2015

what

i thought it was obvious that they did, since they recast the love interest as a guy

Alternatively, Daniel is a dude played by a woman who's into other dudes played by other dudes.

And I'm pretty sure that this is the only version of the Karate Kid ever where the kid is Asian.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I died and had to rewind and watch again the
    part in the dean's office when Frankie mentions her sexuality.

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    I died and had to rewind and watch again the
    part in the dean's office when Frankie mentions her sexuality.

Me too.

I actually found it strangly moving (in addition to being hilarious). The Dean and Jeff (and the group) have become friends and that scene really stressed that.

• Options
    edited April 2015

what

Alternatively, Daniel is a dude played by a woman who's into other dudes played by other dudes.

And I'm pretty sure that this is the only version of the Karate Kid ever where the kid is Asian.

They keep referring to Daniel as a "he" in the play and poster. It was like they director wanted to stay true to the play and was not bothered to change the lines. It definitely was a joke.

The fact that neither Edison was flat chested and they switched the gender of the love interest made it even more silly.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Also I'm showing the wifi bit to my boss when I'm next at work. We have wifi problems, and "we have oxygen, we need wifi" is going to be my new catchphrase.

This was easily my favorite part of the episode. Had to pause it so I could stop laughing.

• Options

what

They keep referring to Daniel as a "he" in the play and poster. It was like they director wanted to stay true to the play and was not bothered to change the lines. It definitely was a joke.

The fact that neither Edison was flat chested and they switched the gender of the love interest made it even more silly.

Apparently he does the same show every year.

Of course, it doesn't really make any sense to cast Danny based on his measurements when a) his costume isn't all that hard to replicate, and b)...

comm-600.jpg

• Options
    I miss the old pompous theater professor

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I miss the old pompous theater professor
    Professor profesorson?!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

what

Daniel isn't the STAR! He's irrelevant!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    YAY MANTZOUKAS IS MY FAVORITE DUUUUUUUUDE FUCK YEAH

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    This new episode is pretty good. It had a nice message about popularity.
    Bad people always seem cooler than good ones because they don't follow the rules, but, still, they are bad people. I liked the twist at the end as well.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Probably completely unintentional, but the main prisoner was played by one of the main characters of Cougar Town, who left the show before most of CT's final season. He showed up in the series finale...but only on a tablet.

Dude has cornered the market on tablet acting.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Probably completely unintentional, but the main prisoner was played by one of the main characters of Cougar Town, who left the show before most of CT's final season. He showed up in the series finale...but only on a tablet.

Dude has cornered the market on tablet acting.

given this show, that sounds completely intentional

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I can't find this week's episode. Is anyone else having that problem?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I can't find this week's episode. Is anyone else having that problem?

I had a hard time finding it on the app. It was way down behind a bunch of random clips.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Yeah I found it eventually, it wasn't on the show page but it was buried on the Yahoo Screen main page for some dumb reason.

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.