As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BoardGame of Thrones: Pre-PAX Boardgame Night at the Westin (Feedback Time!)

• Options
    RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I will be bringing a case of four loko

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Finally loadout: Cthulu Dice, Zombie Dice (I own these, but someone has to show me how to play), Walking Dead: Board Game [TV], Cards Against Humanity and The PayneTraynePokemonDrinkin'Game (have to use MTG cards as pieces as I lost my box of Pokemon figurines)

In case you're interested, my friend got a 3X3 print of the round version of the Pokemon Drinking game, so we could get a giant game going this weekend.

• Options
    EnderWiggumEnderWiggum Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of not bringing CAH, instead bringing some smaller games not on the list. The Great Dalmuti anyone?

• Options
    CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    I'm planning on bringing Dominion Intrigue and Prosperity (possibly base set also if I can pick it up before I get to the Westin), Smash Up, Munchkin, and Metagame.

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Finally loadout: Cthulu Dice, Zombie Dice (I own these, but someone has to show me how to play), Walking Dead: Board Game [TV], Cards Against Humanity and The PayneTraynePokemonDrinkin'Game (have to use MTG cards as pieces as I lost my box of Pokemon figurines)

In case you're interested, my friend got a 3X3 print of the round version of the Pokemon Drinking game, so we could get a giant game going this weekend.

That sounds awesome! I'll see you there for sure.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking of not bringing CAH, instead bringing some smaller games not on the list. The Great Dalmuti anyone?

I guarantee tons of other people will have it (myself included), which is why I'm trying to convince my friends not to bring their base set Munchkins.

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Found my copy of The Impossible Machine so bringing that as well.

5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I am sooooo looking forward to this event. Heading straight back to the Westin after the pre-Pax dinner. My name is Pete and i'll be wearing shorts, sandals, and and my now traditional Provincetown Bears t-shirt (hey, I have to be comfortable!!!) I have a southern accent (i'm from NC and only been living in MA for around 5 years) so if you are from the south, please say howdy to me!!! Well, if you aren't, please do also. I just have an affinity for my southern brothers and sisters. :)

• Options
    tashtegotashtego Registered User regular
    I'm bringing Resistance: Avalon, Epic Spell Wars, DrunkQuest, and Last Night on Earth. Can't wait!!!

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    RichSoCash wrote: »
    I will be bringing a case of four loko

A) ROFL.

B) If you're seriously doing this, be sure to keep it on the down low, as the hotel frowns on outside food and drink and we want to encourage people to buy from the hotel as much as possible to show our appreciation for the amazing free space they're giving us.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    smertepunktsmertepunkt Registered User regular
    elderbot wrote: »
    I can add Alien Frontiers and Quarriors! to the mix. I'll also bring Elder Sign and Race for the Galaxy.
    Both games I really wanted to check out. I might have to wander over!

I'll also have a copy of Metagame, but lots of other people will as well, so it's almost not worth mentioning. Should be awesome tonight!

• Options
    CodeirCodeir Registered User new member
    For my own benefit, how late is "late late late"? I'm going to be over at the nerd until 10ish

• Options
    JDCAceJDCAce Registered User regular
    I appear to be a bit late to the party. Do I need to sign up anywhere, or do I just show up? I'd definitely love to join in later this evening!

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    My final game bag contains Cthulhu Gloom, Kittens in a Blender, Grimorie and Epic Spell Wars! Cya at the Westin folks!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    Codeir wrote: »
    For my own benefit, how late is "late late late"? I'm going to be over at the nerd until 10ish

*Sigh*. This has been answered a number of times in the thread already. Some people game all night.
    JDCAce wrote: »
    I appear to be a bit late to the party. Do I need to sign up anywhere, or do I just show up? I'd definitely love to join in later this evening!

This has also been answered. Protip: if there's no sign up directions in the OP, signs point to Just Show Up.

• Options
    CodeirCodeir Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    Codeir wrote: »

*Sigh*. This has been answered a number of times in the thread already. Some people game all night.
    JDCAce wrote: »

This has also been answered. Protip: if there's no sign up directions in the OP, signs point to Just Show Up.

8 pages > time allotted for reading PAX forums. ;)

Thanks for the answer though ^.^

Codeir on
  • Options
    tnice2500tnice2500 Registered User new member
    I will be attending tonight hopeing to meet new gamers will be brings my 3DS and open to learning new games

• Options
    naroomnaroom Registered User regular
    I'll be bringing 2 people (so 3 of us total). We will have:
    - Race for the Galaxy
    - Betrayal at the House on the Hill
    - Jaipur

See you there!

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    on my way to the westin now, just wanted to give one more shout out to @LexiconGrrl AND the westin waterfront for being so completely awesome and starting pax off early! i'm so excited!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular

Yes, the great dalmuti! I have my copy on me. We will play this tonight

• Options
    Andrew TaylorAndrew Taylor Registered User regular
    I drove to pax, could I park at the hotel for free or at a closely location for cheap? (Like $7 for the evening cheap)

I'm going to Harmonix Rockband Night which is 8pm-9 or 10. Think you all will still be playing till say, midnight?

Would like to play some CAH finally

• Options
    1. Probably not for Cheap.
    2. Yes
    3. This is the place.

• Options
    DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    Long day of setup means I may not show up due to crashing. Not sure I had any unique games though, so hopefully I'm not disappointing anyone.

• Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    A moment of silence for my sodden Duchies, Bureaucrats, an junk dealers. Victims of the great PAXcident of 2013. Lenders beware!

Aside from this mishap, had a great game of Kemet with @Kropotkin and friends!

• Options
    Feedback is being collected for next year! If there was something you like that worked, or something that didn't, or even ideas or suggestions for next year, please post it or send me a PM.

• Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    How did the various hotel management teams feel about things after the events? Did they have any feedback for us?

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    MidnyghtChildeMidnyghtChilde NYRegistered User regular
    I thought it went really well. My few suggestions:
    - Maybe some signage for the restaurant they let us use downstairs? People were slow to use that area and unsure if we were allowed to or not
    - I would love to see more people on Twitter. I kept trying to use it to find games, but not many people were on it.
    - Maybe a copy of the "tabletop rules" like at TTHQ could go somewhere - about the hashtag, and putting the box lid up. I had some trouble finding games, since I totally forgot to bring my own, most groups seemed well set up and full.

I did get to play the new Ascension expansion with 2 of the guys from their booth who brought a copy over. That was pretty awesome. They were talking about their favorite cards and the industry and it was great they came by the Pre-Pax gaming with a brand-spankin'-new copy of the expac, which was having its first day on sale at the expo hall. I also saw Jerry chatting with some folks, so it was a nice early extension of PAX a night early :)

• Options
    mr_effmr_eff MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I thought it went really well. My few suggestions:
    - Maybe a copy of the "tabletop rules" like at TTHQ could go somewhere - about the hashtag, and putting the box lid up. I had some trouble finding games, since I totally forgot to bring my own, most groups seemed well set up and full.
    This.

I spent 1.5 hours walking around and finally gave up trying to find something. I went to the Marriott and was playing Penny Arcade Gamers vs Evil within 10 minutes with some really nice people, who I gamed with for the rest of the night.

It was pretty amazing to see all of the board game love all week/weekend. I just wish it was easier for folks on their own to find their way into games.

• Options
    I definitely agree that there was a need for better all-round communication: signage for the gaming areas, better communication within the attendees who are there playing games, better intra-communication between the hotel staff. Next year would also be a good time to open up a tabletop night Post PAX, on Sunday night.

I'm going to touch base with the hotel management this week, so if you've got feedback, please get it communicated soon.

• Options
    Khadour wrote: »
    How did the various hotel management teams feel about things after the events? Did they have any feedback for us?

I think they will - I'll update once we've had our wrapup/lessons learned meeting.

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I just wanted to say that I had a great time (albeit brief) at my Boardgame night. I think having a few more cookie brigadiers would be a good idea, I only saw facelesscog handing stuff out.

Also, my only regret is not being able to have a round with Lexi! Next year I'll get you a pint dagnabbit but I got there when you were out to dinner. Thanks for all the work you do.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    MidnyghtChildeMidnyghtChilde NYRegistered User regular
    @lexicongrrl thanks for everything with organizing it this year it really did well go, and my suggestions aren't really huge. I really liked that the Ascension guys showed up, and signage might get some more exhibitors to come hang out with their games - it felt like a super secret preview to PAX to get to play the game the night before it was available.

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    If I have one regret, it's that I missed this this year. I had a great time at the Rock Band party, but next year, if this happens again, this will be my focus.

Thank you for setting it up - how did it turn out in the end?

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I still feel pretty bad about giving an injured @lexicongirl a "business handshake" when we met. :cry::cry::cry:

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2013
    Regarding twitter, my suggestion would be to have a few projectors setup in the different areas displaying a stream of the #westintabletop feed. Folks could glance at that to see who is looking for what to try and find a game.

And yeah, +1 for a post-pax boardgame night.

Kjeldor on
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    If anyone reading this was at the pickup game of Resistance: Avalon that started around 4:30, hello and thanks for grabbing myself, my wife, and our friend Jay. (I’m the tall guy with glasses.)
    -Chris

• Options
    Thunderous_TThunderous_T Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Kjeldor wrote: »
    Regarding twitter, my suggestion would be to have a few projectors setup in the different areas displaying a stream of the #westintabletop feed. Folks could glance at that to see who is looking for what to try and find a game.

And yeah, +1 for a post-pax boardgame night.

This is an interesting idea. If there's any reasonable way to get a projector/screen, we could possibly whip up a twitter scraper and allow people to use the regular tags, but have a webpage or program that displays the info a more useful way?

Prime 2017: Tickets soon please...
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    @Lexicongrrl This honestly was a blast, even if I spent most of the night talking to people about brigade stuff I'm proud I actually got in several rounds on CAH.

My only feedback is really the need for signage. I had a few people stop at our table asking for directions. Which was fine, but before I even know I didn't know what to tell them I was kinda flailing and just pointing. It woul
    I just wanted to say that I had a great time (albeit brief) at my Boardgame night. I think having a few more cookie brigadiers would be a good idea, I only saw facelesscog handing stuff out.

Also, my only regret is not being able to have a round with Lexi! Next year I'll get you a pint dagnabbit but I got there when you were out to dinner. Thanks for all the work you do.

*cough* we had a table on the mezzanine by one of the bars with our big flag. Or do you mean brigadiers to bring you stuff? Yeah we were short on distributors for game night unfortunately and the few of us that did make it were trying to game between accepting cookie drop offs. :)

• Options
    ransim wrote: »
    @Lexicongrrl This honestly was a blast, even if I spent most of the night talking to people about brigade stuff I'm proud I actually got in several rounds on CAH.

My only feedback is really the need for signage. I had a few people stop at our table asking for directions. Which was fine, but before I even know I didn't know what to tell them I was kinda flailing and just pointing. It woul

*cough* we had a table on the mezzanine by one of the bars with our big flag. Or do you mean brigadiers to bring you stuff? Yeah we were short on distributors for game night unfortunately and the few of us that did make it were trying to game between accepting cookie drop offs. :)

He went to the crawl, and sounds like he was at the Westin when most of us were at dinner. It picked up significantly after 7:00, and there were lots of brigadiers to be found!

• Options
    Chorazin wrote: »
    I still feel pretty bad about giving an injured @lexicongirl a "business handshake" when we met. :cry::cry::cry:

LOL. No permanent harm done, don' worry 'bout it.

This discussion has been closed.