As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BoardGame of Thrones: Pre-PAX Boardgame Night at the Westin (Feedback Time!)

12345679»

• Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    This is an interesting idea. If there's any reasonable way to get a projector/screen, we could possibly whip up a twitter scraper and allow people to use the regular tags, but have a webpage or program that displays the info a more useful way?

All weekend, in the hotel lobby, the hotel had the Pax East logo projected on a wall. Maybe ask to use that? Either way, projector or a screen, that would be perfect.

And I know it's not the same people, but it would be AMAZINGLY good to have that in the board game freeplay area as well. Honestly, I couldn't find a game that was just starting using twitter or walking around looking at box tops, all weekend. Something like that encouraging people to use twitter would be great.

So, other feedbacks....it was a great time. I got in late, played a few games, and that was that. Met some great people who I got contact info from, and hope to stay in touch with, traded a couple of board games, ate some yummy food and cookies.....can't say I can ask for more.

• Options
    AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    I thought it was pretty awesome how many people showed up to this thing, I didn't realize how big it would be.

That said, by the time I made it down, all the tables were pretty much packed, and most were in mid-game. It was cool to hang around for a bit and watch what was going on, but after a while me and my buddy just headed back upstairs :\

If there was a more structured form of matchmaking, that would be awesome. There weren't too many people on Twitter, though I did get the impression that a lot of people had their groups ready before the event - which is something I might try to do next time.

Not complaining though, it's completely awesome that you organized this with the Westin! Heartfelt thanks.

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    ransim wrote: »

*cough* we had a table on the mezzanine by one of the bars with our big flag. Or do you mean brigadiers to bring you stuff? Yeah we were short on distributors for game night unfortunately and the few of us that did make it were trying to game between accepting cookie drop offs. :)
    Ah, I had seen people dropping things off, I didn't know you were also distributing from that location. But yeah I also left around 6:30.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    ransim wrote: »

*cough* we had a table on the mezzanine by one of the bars with our big flag. Or do you mean brigadiers to bring you stuff? Yeah we were short on distributors for game night unfortunately and the few of us that did make it were trying to game between accepting cookie drop offs. :)
    Ah, I had seen people dropping things off, I didn't know you were also distributing from that location. But yeah I also left around 6:30.

I don't think we originally planned to distribute from there, but when the bar opened right across from us, well it was sort of a natural thing.

Buy beer, turn around, see tasty cookies, offer money for tasty cookies. Gave one guy a piece of the bacon dipped in chocolate with Reese's I made and word spread pretty quickly. But yeah its probably a safe bet that we'll be there next year as well. I might see about getting us some more informative signage to go on the table.

• Options
    RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    - Post PAX board gaming Sunday night is usually how things go, but they took away the tables on the mezzanine. We were gaming while sitting on the floor, but it was really awkward trying to play. I was really looking forward to some gaming late into the morning, but it didn't happen.
    - More garbage cans. Tables were full of empty pizza boxes because the two garbage cans were full.

• Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I was surprised they didn't leave the tables for us on Sunday, since they had last year.
    More utilization of Twitter on all fronts. I was doing some Brigadering in Sauciety and posted my location on Twitter, but had no takers. I did go around every little while and was doing some passing out in between rounds of CAH.
    We didn't have anyone come around to our table in the restaurant the entire night, though I did see a couple of waiters hit up other tables. It would have been nice to get some food. I was also ignored at the bar there by 5 employees and eventually gave up and went upstairs to get a refill on my beer from the nice man there.
    Also, yes. More garbage cans/recycling bins.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    RichSoCash wrote: »
    - Post PAX board gaming Sunday night is usually how things go, but they took away the tables on the mezzanine. We were gaming while sitting on the floor, but it was really awkward trying to play. I was really looking forward to some gaming late into the morning, but it didn't happen.
    - More garbage cans. Tables were full of empty pizza boxes because the two garbage cans were full.
    From what I heard from people who showed up there after PAX (since PPL Showcase was taking place) was that Saturday night the tables set up there were Filthy with a capitol F.

I assume this had something to do with them not being there Sunday, and because after 6 PAX was technically "over."

It would have been quite a clustered mess anyways since the Pokemon League has their final met up there and then.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    From what I can tell, the tables were filthy largely due to the garbage cans being over-full.

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    We didn't have anyone come around to our table in the restaurant the entire night, though I did see a couple of waiters hit up other tables. It would have been nice to get some food. I was also ignored at the bar there by 5 employees and eventually gave up and went upstairs to get a refill on my beer from the nice man there.

That sucks about the bar situation, I'm sorry to hear that. It's Boston: did you stand at the corner and holler, "Hey! Needa Drink Ovah Heah!" ?

The other issue, about the lack of waitstaff, was an executive decision that was made before game night. There's often a large contingent of folks who just hang out ordering soda. This makes a tricky balance to try to predict what the food sales will be like and whether the cost-benefit of having dedicated table service is worth it. After speaking with the Westin management ahead of time, we decided to keep table service to a minimum/null in Sauciety and allow folks to game in the lobby café if they wanted service. Alternatively, walking up and ordering food at the bar in Sauciety (and then having it brought to your table) was the other option. You probably saw servers bringing food that had been ordered from the bar.

The fact that this wasn't clear for the attendees is partially my fault, and absolutely something that will be addressed next year. It goes back to that communications thing that I mentioned earlier.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    If anyone got any photos on Saturday night that might show the messy tables and/or the garbage cans, please send me a PM.

• Options
    ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    We also had a hard time getting a waiter to come near us in Sauciety. I don't think anyone was being lazy, just understaffed.

@Ransim YOU HAD THE BEST CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BACON. It changed my life. My friends and I each happily donated for it and they're still talking about it. Best charity ever.

• Options
    Scorpius wrote: »
    We also had a hard time getting a waiter to come near us in Sauciety. I don't think anyone was being lazy, just understaffed.
    The other issue, about the lack of waitstaff, was an executive decision that was made before game night. There's often a large contingent of folks who just hang out ordering soda. This makes a tricky balance to try to predict what the food sales will be like and whether the cost-benefit of having dedicated table service is worth it. After speaking with the Westin management ahead of time, we decided to keep table service to a minimum/null in Sauciety and allow folks to game in the lobby café if they wanted service. Alternatively, walking up and ordering food at the bar in Sauciety (and then having it brought to your table) was the other option. You probably saw servers bringing food that had been ordered from the bar.

The fact that this wasn't clear for the attendees is partially my fault, and absolutely something that will be addressed next year. It goes back to that communications thing that I mentioned earlier.

• Options
    I read your post and decided to comment from my own perspective from someone sitting at one of those tables.

• Options
    MidnyghtChildeMidnyghtChilde NYRegistered User regular
    I don't have photos, but I did see the overflowing trash Sat night. I think a lot of people did the order take out and game at the mezzanine instead of inside the BCEC route and those cans were tiny. I didn't see any issues with it on Thursday or even on Friday.

I also think they closed tables up Sunday because there were other events in the Westin ballroom going on that day, and PAX was ending.

• Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    Scorpius wrote: »
    @Ransim YOU HAD THE BEST CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BACON. It changed my life. My friends and I each happily donated for it and they're still talking about it. Best charity ever.

You'll be happy know next year I'll be making more, probably doubling or tripling the amount I made this year because it was so incredibly popular.

• Options
    I shall tweet it to the heavens.

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    The gaming themed drinks were awesome, and hopefully they keep that up next year.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    Chorazin wrote: »
    The gaming themed drinks were awesome, and hopefully they keep that up next year.

Thanks!
    The Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is my BFF's recipe. You can find the entire post on the food blog I co-write (link is in signature).
    The Princess Bubble-Tini was thanks to @Menolly07. It was great but I do wish they'd have used her PedoBear instead - it's a Shirley Temple with Gin added.
    The Cthulu Lies Dreaming was mine :)-

• Options
    DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    The evening seemed like a pretty good kickoff to my first PAX. I did have a little more trouble than I expected in trying to find an open game to join, but nonetheless played a very fun round of CaH and later, some Zombie Dice with some other buttonneers. (I had even worse trouble finding open games in the Tabletop area in the BCEC, though, and since it was my first time it may have been more me than anything.) It was pretty cool to see the folks from CaH strolling the tables and tossing out expansion packs while we were playing.

My interactions with the hotel staff were friendly, but when I wanted a drink I went to the Birch Bar to get it. (It was the only station that had hard cider, actually.) I did make a point of going to the check-in desk when there was no line just to pass my thanks on to them for letting us use the space.

The Cookie Brigade drop off was in a great place, but I didn't realize they were distributing as well. After reading earlier posts, I now have the odd craving for bacon.

(I actually feel really badly about the Cookie Brigade. I was the person who apologized profusely because I had had to work exceedingly late Wednesday night and didn't get to bake as planned. To make things worse, I brought the wrong tennis shoes to PAX and was in serious pain by Saturday afternoon, so I didn't get to try to distribute either. Newbie mistakes and bad luck, but ... feh.)

Anyway, thanks so much for organizing this! I look forward to next year.

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• Options
    gerafingerafin Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »

Thanks!
    The Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is my BFF's recipe. You can find the entire post on the food blog I co-write (link is in signature).
    The Princess Bubble-Tini was thanks to @Menolly07. It was great but I do wish they'd have used her PedoBear instead - it's a Shirley Temple with Gin added.
    The Cthulu Lies Dreaming was mine :)-

The drinks were awesome. I tried them all (for science!). Couldn't wait to get home and tell my friends about the pan galactic gargle blaster, I'm glad I have the recipe now so I can share.

• Options
    Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    My Only Goal: To make it as pink as possible.... And delicious... My Only TWO Goals: To make it as pink as possible and delicious! And worthy of the Princess Bubblegum name... My Only Three Goals..... Oh nevermind...

Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    Hay Yoo Guyz! Quick update on the wrapup for this year:

I've spoken with the Westin about the event, and they were super, super happy with us this year. You know what that means? Mo' Betta for 2014!! They're taking the feedback seriously and we've already got a strong plan for making this event even better next time.

Thanks for playing!

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Whats funny is the waiter I had kept coming over and asking for more at my table (in Sauciety). Probably helped I was drinking rum and cokes like they were going out of style and ordering food fairly often to keep up with the drinking. :)

This discussion has been closed.