As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GUITAR GEAR] THREAD OF SHRED

14567810»

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Just sat down for like 10 minutes while dinner was in the oven and now my fingers are in pain.

Chords are hard on them still but I can do them gotta start learning more and how to switch them.

Also I can't alternate pick still.

• Options
    I'm getting a bad buzz on my 3rd string when I strum a chord, not sure if it's because I strum harder when I play chords or because there is a little nick in the gstring near the sound hole and honestly it keeps scaring me when I tune it that it might snap.

I might go change the strings in a minute.

• Options
    SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular
    New strings could help, but if it happens consistently it could just be a bad spot on that fret.

• Options
    I strummed it open too and it buzzed when I strum hard too.

Probably going to finally take it to durdel's music tomorrow to get looked at by a professional.

I got a dirt cheap electric on the way too that's going to need setup before I use it for rocksmith.

• Options
    My guitar is fine according to the guitar shop guy.

It's just my technique which I am already improving.

Started practicing Journey of the sorcerer arranged for guitar because I just got a capo.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Guitar stuff is a very long term process. It's steady don't burn out on it before you get satisfied kinda thing that takes years. but it's really cool how excited you are and that you are noticing your improvement!

Anyone have experience with 1/4" to USB adapters and guitar amp software? My apartment is too small to put a full rig in right now : /

• Options
    Yeah I've played a tiny bit before and kinda just took a really long break because I got discouraged by the task.

But now that I'm actually reading more about guitar theory and stuff it's exciting to try it all again.

Plus I just got my cheapo new electric, I'm going to have to take a break from trying to set it up myself but I finally figure out this neck shit. (taking it to a luthier would probably be counter productive, it was a cheap guitar and I can't imagine finding someone to set it up at all much less for cheap.)

then later to the intonation!

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Can you afford lessons? Those will help you get a grip on theory. I've about to start taking lessons so I can get a firmer understanding of Joe Pass' style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWa6aChSf1w

SemiHollowCarrot on
  • Options
    I needed something that was as old as I am. :(

5LoOWLt.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    and how old is that?
    I think my v90 is older than most of the people here

• Options
    I had to shim the nut on my electric myself.

It was actually Kinda fun.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I think I finally have enough guitars/gear, after about 15 years of accumulating it.

I own 3 A/E acoustic guitars (one 12-string), a fat strat, a fretlight tele, a highly-modded PRS knockoff, a LP knockoff with mini humbuckers, a couple dozen pedals (including the Line 6 M13 which is basically every pedal ever, and a ZVex Fuzz Factory which is a staple), a purple Fender P-Bass, and an Ampeg Reverberocket.

This doesn't even get into all the non-guitar stuff I own or have access to!
    About a bajillion harmonicas, 2 harmonica microphones and an amplifier, a full-sized piano accordion, a set of penny whistles in every major key, a Nord Electro 2 HP with keyboard amp, a Pearl drumset, a french horn, an A/E Fender mandolin, all the synth apps on my iPad which I can MIDI control, my guitaret (long story on that one), the church's pipe organ...

I need to actually get around to writing some music and recording it. There's basically nothing standing in the way of creativity at this point. Looking at pretty guitars and thinking, "Man I want that" just feels greedy.

• Options
    I got to play my buddy's banjo a few weeks ago.

It was fun.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I got to play my buddy's banjo a few weeks ago.

It was fun.

I don't know much about banjo except that it's tuned to an open major chord

And I guess some of them have 4 strings and some have 5, and the fifth string is weird because it's the bottom string yet tuned the highest

All this is reminding me that I should really work on my fingerpicking

• Options
    The fifth string only goes up half the neck too. They often call it the drone string. I guess you usually strum it with your thumb while playing the rest with your fingers.

• Options
    We'll just say it's > 30 years. A girl never tells her age.

• Options
    I'm 32, so even if it's older than I am, it's not by much

• Options
    I just wanted to get something that shared the same birth year as me.

• Options
    "Hey, what you doin back there, Peavey?"

Oh, just chillin.

XTow6Mp.jpg