As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spire: Procedurally Generated Fantasy FPS from the Dustforce Devs

2»

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Updates have been accumulating: here's what's new.

tumblr_mntvpfTL8P1s3b9x9o1_1280.png

DARYevP.png

jgYDYIV.png

ibp0sPx4Do9jkT.PNG

We5relq.png

Summoner:

CgtQS8n.gif

XNUQ5vO.gif

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Can I just say, I love the art style so far. Incredibly appealing.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Oh. oh.

I didn't know they were going to add combat. That's a lot less interesting.

Still looks pretty though.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    The title of the thread says it's an FPS, and the OP mentions things like "figure out awesome weapon combinations" and "trickjumping and weapon switching." The goal is sort of to replicate the cool things that awesome Quake III players do, but in a procedurally generated single player game.

• Options
    The cool things that Quake 3 players do (which doesn't include wall running) with movement does not involve combat, for the most part, in a sense that would matter for a singleplayer experience. In fact, one of the biggest complaints that most Warsow and CPMA players have about the games is that the movement in combat is not nearly as interesting as the movement outside and between combat. I mean, defrag exists for a reason.

I guess I was just looking at screenshots, which is always just a hand with a candle.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Nah, Quake III players do a lot of cool combat things, like lobbing explosives in areas they think their opponent will be, switching weapons really fast, nailing people while moving really fast, and so on.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    none of which has anything to do with a singleplayer (why do I need to disguise my grenade arcs against an AI? how is it impressive to hit an AI while on the movie?) game or its unique movement systems.

There is a place in quake for movement--it's a fundamental skill that every player needs in order to compete--but the tricks are not necessary, and are actually not used during fights. Actual combat is all positioning and resource based, with some dodging thrown in. You do not strafe jump through it, because that is actually just a really good way to get yourself killed (lack of air control means that every time you leave the ground you become a predictable target and a million times easier to hit).

It's the difference between bread and butter combos and combo video combos in a fighting game. While the stuff in combo videos is technically impressive and nice to look at, it seldom has any practical purpose for real matches, and the fanciest combos are often sub-optimal or just plain bad.

I say all this as someone who still has both Quake 3 and Warsow installed, and can't even enjoy other FPS because of them. This game was way more interesting as a defrag knock-off than as another FPS, but with wall running.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I find this art style massively agreeable.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    3.5 years and the game is STARTING to take form? Sorry, I love Dustforce and all, but I'm not going to get super invested in this game just yet.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    The front page for Spire on their website says expect the game around late 2017. So I think what they mean by starting to take form is, starting to take a finished form. Five or so years dev time isn't anything too crazy.