As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ni No Kuni] Ghibli + Pokemon = awesome?

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    Can't believe this game snuck under my radar, since I have

-loved the dragon quest series
    -enjoyed Howls, Ariety, Nausicaa, etc
    -been wishing for a pokemon style game on the PS3

and you're telling me this game goes 3/3 and I hadn't even heard about it?

Is this one of those things where if you order it from different places you get different bonuses or something or am I safe to just order it from amazon? :)

If you're ok with waiting an unknown amount of time, order from Amazon. They've got a 1-3 week backorder there. That's the only still available place to buy from with a "bonus" unless you want to spend $200+ to get the Wizard's edition from a reseller.

Otherwise, best bet is to try and find a brick and mortar store that still has a copy kicking around.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Amazon gives you a gryphon familiar, who appears to be the best one. I got a weak-ass butterfly with my purchase. I want a gryphon!

But all of them are just gold versions of familiars you can get anyway in game so just get it anywhere.

Nope. At the very least, Griffy and the butterfly are unique.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Amazon gives you a gryphon familiar, who appears to be the best one. I got a weak-ass butterfly with my purchase. I want a gryphon!

But all of them are just gold versions of familiars you can get anyway in game so just get it anywhere.

Nope. At the very least, Griffy and the butterfly are unique.

Ah. Well, they'll be up as DLC eventually, I'm sure. And the 100+ that are in there should tide you over. :P

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Griffigerator?

Is there a picture of this familiar? I need to see what he looks like...

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Griffigerator?

20130125151158.jpg

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Griffigerator?

uWIz4J8.jpg

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Griffigerator?

20130125151158.jpg

DOES THAT SAY WHIRLIGIG!

WHILRY GIG!

God I can't wait for this game...

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    My biggest fear is the day Griffy begins to be outclassed. Hopefully that day never comes.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    My biggest fear is the day Griffy begins to be outclassed. Hopefully that day never comes.

If Gamefaqs is to be believed (and it isn't) he literally can't be except by another golden familiar.

• Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »

Is this one of those things where if you order it from different places you get different bonuses or something or am I safe to just order it from amazon? :)

If you're ok with waiting an unknown amount of time, order from Amazon. They've got a 1-3 week backorder there. That's the only still available place to buy from with a "bonus" unless you want to spend $200+ to get the Wizard's edition from a reseller.

Otherwise, best bet is to try and find a brick and mortar store that still has a copy kicking around.

I thought Amazon stopped giving codes out(since it's a preorder thing)?

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    When the time comes how does one decide which form a familiar evolves into?

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Esh wrote: »

I placed an Amazon order two days ago, and it shipped out yesterday, even though it said 1-3 weeks when I ordered. You might try giving them a go despite the supposed backorder.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Found a link to a PDF version of the Wizard Companion, if anyone is into that sort of thing.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Oh my god, the spell you get from the riddle in Hamelin is so good.
    Chart Chests. It lets you see chests on the minimap

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    original.jpg
    Does this thing have remote play or what ever it's called? This would let my wife understand we need a vita.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Whirligig is my favorite word.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It makes you whirligiggle!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    snip
    Does this thing have remote play or what ever it's called? This would let my wife understand we need a vita.
    My initial googlings seem to suggest it only works if you have a jailbroken ps3, but i'll test it when i get home

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    When the time comes how does one decide which form a familiar evolves into?

You will see the stats and potential spells of whichever final type you want. For example:
    Griffin is split up between fire and ice; the ice fellow has slightly stronger attack and lower defense. However they get an all-field AOE, while the fire gets some in range melee AOE.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Bahaha Amazon says it might ship in 1 week or 3 weeks!

Can I buy this from PSN and play it on my PS3? :D

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    You can, as long as you have the space needed.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    What's up with Geth? You OK? Reaper-code?

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Man I forgot how shitty the PS3 is of a system, ugh.

Noticed this was on PSN for $55 and that PSN apparently charges me no Tax so picked it up a couple days ago there (since retails we're talking 67ish all in)

The game is 22 gigs, no problem since I have 25ish gigs free. Except I don't have enough space to download it apparently. I have a 80gig MGS4 PS4 with hardly anything installed. Deleted basically all I could and somehow I still could only get a few more gigs free, luckily it was just enough. So the game donwloads in 2 parts.

Finally I'm ready to play it later on except oh whoops I forgot you have to install things. It took 30 minutes to install package 1 and an additional 20 to install package 2. What in the hell ps3.

in game news, I was able to play for like 30 minutes, it seems neat guys.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I walked into GameStop to see when the new releases were coming, spotted this on the shelf, went "pffft a new JRPG", saw "Studio Ghibli" on the back and bought it immediately.

Did I do it right

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I walked into GameStop to see when the new releases were coming, spotted this on the shelf, went "pffft a new JRPG", saw "Studio Ghibli" on the back and bought it immediately.

Did I do it right

That seems to be the general order of events I've noticed thus far.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Not a lot of people bought Lostmagic, far as I heard.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    10 minutes to install, holy hell

It's not going to ask me to change floppies every few minutes, is it

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Man I forgot how shitty the PS3 is of a system, ugh.

Noticed this was on PSN for $55 and that PSN apparently charges me no Tax so picked it up a couple days ago there (since retails we're talking 67ish all in)

The game is 22 gigs, no problem since I have 25ish gigs free. Except I don't have enough space to download it apparently. I have a 80gig MGS4 PS4 with hardly anything installed. Deleted basically all I could and somehow I still could only get a few more gigs free, luckily it was just enough. So the game donwloads in 2 parts.

Finally I'm ready to play it later on except oh whoops I forgot you have to install things. It took 30 minutes to install package 1 and an additional 20 to install package 2. What in the hell ps3.

in game news, I was able to play for like 30 minutes, it seems neat guys.

It needs 2x the size of the game to download then install, IIRC.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Found a link to a PDF version of the Wizard Companion, if anyone is into that sort of thing.

Link got overloaded, anyone have a mirror?

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Not a lot of people bought Lostmagic, far as I heard.
    I did. And I loved it.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Ugh, this jellyfish boss is fucking destroying me.
    Royal Jelly:

Wish I'd built up some more fire guys. I guess I can still grind in the perimeter of the island, I have a save right before the standup performance.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Ugh, this jellyfish boss is fucking destroying me.
    Royal Jelly:

Wish I'd built up some more fire guys. I guess I can still grind in the perimeter of the island, I have a save right before the standup performance.
    I found that one really easy, for some reason, and didn't have any fire guys. What are you using/what is he doing to kill you?

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Hrmm, maybe ill just try bruteforcing it a few more times.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    http://www.destructoid.com/namco-bandai-responds-to-ni-no-kuni-le-order-bungling-243211.phtml

Any of you fucked over by Digital River gets a FREE HARDCOVER GUIDE

That shit is like $50 on Amazon, sweet deal

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Whoa if I got that for free I would just take the fucking. Lucky ducks.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Got em. Unshackled the AI, since I realized its futile to try to do everything manually, used sp items anytime they got low. Used the cut loose instead burning heart to kill all the adds.

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    http://www.destructoid.com/namco-bandai-responds-to-ni-no-kuni-le-order-bungling-243211.phtml

Any of you fucked over by Digital River gets a FREE HARDCOVER GUIDE

That shit is like $50 on Amazon, sweet deal

Huh. I like to believe this has something to do with me sending them a message saying essentially "Why would I ever use $20 to shop at your awful store again? You should have given us some DLC codes because they're free, actually useful, and people probably got screwed because it took you guys so long to let us know that we lost out on pre-ordering from Amazon or Gamestop, or the pre-orders were canceled, so now we get nothing."

But I only meant sending people an e-mail with codes for the LE familiars. I didn't think they'd send a guide that included a different one. I didn't even know it came with one. I thought it was just Amazon and the LE. Of course I know my e-mail had nothing to do with it, but maybe other people sent similar messages and got the point across. They'll send an e-mail though? Yeah, sure. I expect that I'll have to send a message to customer service with my order number once people in here start saying "I got my e-mail for a free guide!" and then the next posts are "What the hell, I haven't gotten mine yet!"

• Options
    Frei wrote: »

Link got overloaded, anyone have a mirror?

Here.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    That guide was on sale for about $30 just a few days ago. At first I thought EB were being scam artists asking for fucking asking $45, but it turns out that's the actual MSRP for the thing.

I also apparently ordered the thing just in the knick of time. The price is bumped up and it's backordered.

As for the guide itself, this thing is flippin' tidy. Awesome quality, insane heft, and all the info you could ever want. I would totally recommend getting it... if you can get it discounted. If some of you are getting it free, that's a nice deal. Not a great one since it was on sale like I said, but still good.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    It's times like this I'm glad I live in such an uncultured wasteland. I doubt 10% of the population has even seen a Ghibli movie, and the GameStop had no shortage of copies.