As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Plz be goeth to neweth thread

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Turning Ebony into Daedric with the Atronach Forge is pretty awesome.

Edit: Hired Thug chopping firewood at my estate. The hell are these guys up to?

As long as they store it for you when they're done, that sounds like a real time-saver for you.

Can anyone give me a short explanation on what ENB is/are? I see the acronym all over the place but I'm not really sure. Some sub-genre of mods that's supposed to go beyond even HD textures? They're just primarily aesthetic?

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Turning Ebony into Daedric with the Atronach Forge is pretty awesome.

Edit: Hired Thug chopping firewood at my estate. The hell are these guys up to?

As long as they store it for you when they're done, that sounds like a real time-saver for you.

Can anyone give me a short explanation on what ENB is/are? I see the acronym all over the place but I'm not really sure. Some sub-genre of mods that's supposed to go beyond even HD textures? They're just primarily aesthetic?

Think of it as sort of a filter you place over your game that does a lot of visual effects with changes in shadows, lighting, SSAO, etc. They are becoming popular because they are fairly adjustable plus seem to be able to work on quite a few different games. I found one for VtM: Bloodlines.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    They are entirely aesthetic, though to a rather extreme point--for example, expanding upon shadows and adding depth of field (which is still weirdly missing from ES games).

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Never been a big fan of depth of field, myself. In one sense, it's realistic - when you focus on the foreground, objects in the background will be blurry - but in another, it's not, in that I can't dynamically change the focus to the background, as I can in real life. So the net effect is that it ends up reducing the detail of the world that the game engine would normally allow me to see. I can't see into the distance, even when I might want to.

After some consideration, this is my issue with a lot of ENB packages. They create a certain 'look' or effect, which some find more visually appealing than the default settings, by reducing the amount of visual data I have access to. And if I'm playing a game, rather than watching a movie, I want all of that data. I don't want to be killed by something I didn't see coming, because the night or the cave interior is pitch black and my virtual eyes don't become dark-adapted like my real ones would. And so on.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Never been a big fan of depth of field, myself. In one sense, it's realistic - when you focus on the foreground, objects in the background will be blurry - but in another, it's not, in that I can't dynamically change the focus to the background, as I can in real life. So the net effect is that it ends up reducing the detail of the world that the game engine would normally allow me to see. I can't see into the distance, even when I might want to.

After some consideration, this is my issue with a lot of ENB packages. They create a certain 'look' or effect, which some find more visually appealing than the default settings, by reducing the amount of visual data I have access to. And if I'm playing a game, rather than watching a movie, I want all of that data. I don't want to be killed by something I didn't see coming, because the night or the cave interior is pitch black and my virtual eyes don't become dark-adapted like my real ones would. And so on.
    Unless you're playing arma

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Speaking of dark-adapted eyes, I do like that some games try to make that a mechanic now, even though the Dragonborn is apparently very easily blinded.

Finally took a break from vamp-magic to join the Dawnguard with my dragon-guy and start setting up a couple of things for him. I don't plan on doing much with Heljarchen on that file, but I still want a fish-hatchery and a private multi-temple. Also took the opportunity to grab classic Azura's Star this time around. It serves its purpose well enough.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

I used to feel the same way about DOF, but now I'm a fan. If you want to see into the distance, just move your cursor onto something in the distance. I think it works pretty well.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I'm also not a fan of depth-of-field, but that isn't nearly all that ENBs do. One of the biggest reasons I use one is that it smooths out the jagged-assed shadows that I couldn't seem to manage to cure in Skyrim otherwise. Plus, the ENB comes with an .INI file, so when nights seemed a bit too dark, I did some editing and got things how I wanted them.

• Options

I used to feel the same way about DOF, but now I'm a fan. If you want to see into the distance, just move your cursor onto something in the distance. I think it works pretty well.

Honestly, maybe it's just a reflection of not having perfect vision, but I think it's fundamentally jarring to be able to perfectly focus on both someone standing directly in front of me (say, less than a meter away) and then a window 20 meters behind them. DOF finally corrects that.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    ENB is like getting different pairs of colored sunglasses to wear while you play games.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    What does ENB stand for anyway?

Also, Im pretty sure I havent properly installed whatever ENB I was attempting to run.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I like DoF, but it's fundamentally flawed in that my eye can focus on what the simulated eye is blurring. It's a weird effect that way.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    arakis99arakis99 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Synthesis wrote: »

Honestly, maybe it's just a reflection of not having perfect vision, but I think it's fundamentally jarring to be able to perfectly focus on both someone standing directly in front of me (say, less than a meter away) and then a window 20 meters behind them. DOF finally corrects that.

You can't actually focus on both of them. Your eyes focus on one or the other

[wink] If I want to see things in the distance I prefer to just move my eye onto something in the distance. I think it works pretty well. [/wink] :-)

I find the limitations of my eye enough that I don't need to add something I find artificial.

Seriously though, I understand it is a matter of taste.

arakis99 on
  • Options
    You can focus on either of them, though.
    The eyes have a pretty small focus, anyway. I never noticed this issue spontaneously because I'm used to what I'm looking at being focused, and when I'm not looking at the "distance" I notice less of what the game renders in that corner of the monitor.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Is Dragonborn really worth $25?

• Options
    Depends on what $25 is worth to you, I guess. Dragonborn is pretty nice. Probably worth more than any other Skyrim-DLC right now.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Hey, awesome.

Dragonborn is available for pre-purchase on Steam for $19.99 (USD). Has it been there long and I'm only noticing it now?

Not that it matters, since I can't play it until freaking February 5th, but still... I'd hate to think I could have missed something like that.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I was kinda disappointed with Dawnguard.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The thing I didn't like about Hearthfire was being restricted to only three additional wings. Why can't I build one mega-house that has everything?

RT800 on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Pissed that we're waiting so long but still, feels good to finally be able to purchase the damn thing.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    So I was challenged by to a wizard-duel by a halfnaked dude. I had Lydia along.

-BONK!-

"Stop it, this is a one-on-one duel!"

-BONK!-

-BONK!-

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Skyrim!

The place where men are men, wizards get shanked by house carls in the open streets and lightly clothed peasants take on ancient dragons armed only with iron daggers.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    arakis99 wrote: »

[wink] If I want to see things in the distance I prefer to just move my eye onto something in the distance. I think it works pretty well. [/wink] :-)

I find the limitations of my eye enough that I don't need to add something I find artificial.

Seriously though, I understand it is a matter of taste.

True, but while using it I've personally had plenty of moments where I think "holy crap that looks cool". Like when you're talking to someone, having the background blurred just makes them stand out more and just works for some reason. Though I totally understand why some people don't like it.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Whoa. I just encountered a guard in Riverwood firing arrows into the river. Mudcrab, am I right?

Nope. I wade into the stream to find a halfdead, seemingly drowning bandit outlaw with a dead chicken.

PLA on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    That's probably the best thing I read all day.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Whoa. I just encountered a guard in Riverwood firing arrows into the lake. Mudcrab, am I right?

Nope. I wade into the stream to find a halfdead, seemingly drowning bandit outlaw with a dead chicken.
    My favorite experiences with Bethesda engines are still encountering deathclaws that ascend to heaven, random car explosions and radscorpions soaring across the sky like a ninja star.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options

I'm confused. I said that it was jarring that you can, in game, have both of those in perfect clarity, without DOF. That's why I like DOF.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    So I was challenged by to a wizard-duel by a halfnaked dude. I had Lydia along.

-BONK!-

-BONK!-

-BONK!-

i love that guy

i told him to fuck off, but he insisted, so i just wailed on him with my sword

then he bitched at me for being a cheater until i stabbed him

• Options
    I just drained his magicka with Sparks until he started casting his knife-spell. What a wizard.

I wish actual windows were possible.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I know there is a mod that makes it so you don't load into cities, but is there a mod that makes it so dungeons, or at least town houses, are in the world and not loaded?

That would be pretty awesome, if not system intensive.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Huh? I didn't know Delphine hangs out in Whiterun after Kynesgrove. Apparently she gets distracted from returning to Riverwood just as much as the Dragonborn.
    Is being irresponsible and lazy just a dragonslayer-thing?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    This is the daily today on steam. 50% off the game and DLC's. Except Dragonborn. Which isn't out, but is up to buy on Steam now, and isn't discounted.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Huh? I didn't know Delphine hangs out in Whiterun after Kynesgrove. Apparently she gets distracted from returning to Riverwood just as much as the Dragonborn.
    Is being irresponsible and lazy just a dragonslayer-thing?

Yeah that worried me too, but when I went back to her inn, she suddenly appeared to start her next scripted sequence, so I guess at least the game knows what a tourist she is.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, last time I came to that point, she was nowhere to be seen when I reached the Sleeping Giant, but she still somehow walked in through the door at the same time.

I just paused the game at the coolest moment I've had in this game. After fast-travel without a follower, I hear a bandit say, "Well, ain't this a surprise!"
    I hit the draw-button and the stick forward and a bit to the right while trying to turn counter-clockwise to find him.
    When I'm looking behind me, he comes into view from the left, in the middle of a warhammer-swing landing right where I had been. At this moment, my sword is still in the horizontal part of being drawn. The pause-screen just looks oddly dynamic.

And I paused to equip Unrelenting Force.

PLA on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I find this mod to be fucking hilarious. The feature list is golden. Some choice additions:
    • A craftable Weed Satchel used to store your weed and to fill bongs and pipes or to wrap blunts
    • Craftable and usable bongs and pipes
    • Wearable Blunts which will be crafted from fermented elves ears depending on your skill (for keeping the lore) which can used by yourself or be sold to certain persons or companions via dialog, not only through the barter menu (only applies to master blunts). They will be equipped then and removed after three real-life minutes
    • The Blunts have an animated smoke effect
    • Wearable Joints which will be crafted from Rolls Of Paper depending on your skill which can used by yourself or be sold to certain persons or companions via dialog, not only through the barter menu (only applies to master Joints). They will be equipped then and removed after three real-life minutes
    • The Joints have an animated smoke effect as well

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Hahaha, fucking stoners man

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    arakis99arakis99 Registered User regular

I'm confused. I said that it was jarring that you can, in game, have both of those in perfect clarity, without DOF. That's why I like DOF.

Sorry, my point was oblique. I meant that even though on the screen they are both in focus, the human eye will only let you focus on one or the other at any one time. Our minds fill in the rest of the picture.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Anyone know if Dark Souls armor sets got converted to Skyrim? There are some pretty rockin' outfits in Dark Souls.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Anyone know if Dark Souls armor sets got converted to Skyrim? There are some pretty rockin' outfits in Dark Souls.

I know the bonfire did, of all things, but I don't know if any armor has. A lot of stuff from other games has been converted so far, so it's possible.