As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Plz be goeth to neweth thread

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    TESV-2013-02-02-20-29-27-84.jpg

Oh. Sure!
    g5izo_zps33ce2a05.gif

PFFFFHAHAHAHA just kidding lets see how many things here light on fire.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the best way to deal with evil seems to be locking it up with a bunch of treasure and waiting for a wandering hero to loot the place.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Well this is terrible. My conjurer's minions have gone... elsewhere for a while now. I don't want to summon new ones because those guys will come back eventually and have nice stuff. However my newest save is in Riften, where a Storm Dragon has parked his fat butt, and without my minions my damage output is something along the lines of poo-squared.

And I don't want any named townsfolk to die.

Hmmmmm.

Dac on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Well this is terrible. My conjurer's minions have gone... elsewhere for a while now. I don't want to summon new ones because those guys will come back eventually and have nice stuff. However my newest save is in Riften, where a Storm Dragon has parked his fat butt, and without my minions my damage output is something along the lines of poo-squared.

And I don't want any named townsfolk to die.

Hmmmmm.

Console them back to you?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Sounds like your only option. Load an earlier save, find out their RefIDs in the console, then beam 'em back to you in your current save.

EDIT: To drag us back to ENB briefly, does anyone else use Cinematic Lighting ENB by HD6? I'm a big fan, but the shadows during the day are ridiculous dark, like bathing the world in black sheets.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    I'm using that. The shadows during the day are fine for me. What gets me is that during the night, the glare from fires off of things like road signs is so great you literally can't read them :D

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So, after owning this since, I think maybe the Summer Steam Sale(?), and numerous attempts to get into it, I finally found a character I enjoy playing. Started a new game, female Redguard, named her Valentine, grabbed two daggers, proceed to try and steal everything.

She got mixed up in some trouble back home, so hopped a caravan to Skyrim, thinking that it'd be remote enough that she could leave her past troubles behind. Of course, she immediately got turned over to the Imperials for trying to pickpocket the caravan leader as soon as he'd dropped her off (she's really terrible at pickpocketing), which brings us right to the start of the game.

After the whole dragon-attack business, she was cool to follow Ralof down to Riverwood, where she quickly grabbed everything valuable that wasn't glued down or being watched, and made a mental note to come back to finish the job later. Intrigued by the thought of treasure, she agreed to regain the claw for the shopkeeper, then meandered on down to Whiterun where she got roped into fighting the dragon; all she wanted was some coin, but things kept spiraling out of control. Afterward, when the Greybeards summoned her, she decided shit was getting too real, helped the Alik'ir capture the woman for a share of the bounty (call it patriotism), then stole a horse and ran straight for Riften, stopping for nothing.

Once in Riften, it was only a matter of minutes before Brynjolf was offering her employment, and she quickly found herself strutting about Riften intimidating merchants for coin.

And this has been WAY more fun than any previous attempt to sit down and play the game so far. I do need to figure out two-dagger fighting better, because even when I'm sneaking I usually end up in combat sooner or later, and the mechanics of two weapons isn't quite clicking yet, though maybe I don't need two daggers...

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I use an infinite carry weight mod because I must steal every single object in the entire world and then go back to my homestead and bury the jarl of solitude in them

• Options
    Vorpal wrote: »
    I'm using that. The shadows during the day are fine for me. What gets me is that during the night, the glare from fires off of things like road signs is so great you literally can't read them :D

Given this, I suspect your brightness is set higher than mine, heh.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I use an infinite carry weight mod because I must steal every single object in the entire world and then go back to my homestead and bury the jarl of solitude in them

Why use a mod? Just use the console to modify your carryweight.

• Options
    I'm really enjoying Frostfall so far. Am also using the ACE perk tree / combat improvements, which I really like. I'll give SkyRe a try at a later date.

I think most of my mods just make the game look prettier :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    So, after owning this since, I think maybe the Summer Steam Sale(?), and numerous attempts to get into it, I finally found a character I enjoy playing. Started a new game, female Redguard, named her Valentine, grabbed two daggers, proceed to try and steal everything.

<snip>

And this has been WAY more fun than any previous attempt to sit down and play the game so far. I do need to figure out two-dagger fighting better, because even when I'm sneaking I usually end up in combat sooner or later, and the mechanics of two weapons isn't quite clicking yet, though maybe I don't need two daggers...

I really enjoy characters with this kinda story as well. Even though I promised myself I'd finally settle down on a character and play through the game, I just haven't been able to do it, but I keep making awesome characters with backstories I generate in my head. My latest came from using the mod Live Another Life (which allows you to choose from multiple starts) where my character was the victim of a bandit ambush and left for dead in a random part of the map. You basically start from nothing and have to scrape from the very bottom to get basic equipment.

As for dual-wielding, I can never get the hang of it in Skyrim... being a melee fighter without the ability to block is just a death sentence for me, so I tend to go with a single sword or something for my lighter-armed characters. It seems to work pretty well with ACE combat, though I've never gotten real deep into the game to see if this is viable later on.

• Options
    It's like, I finally get TES. I could never get into Oblivion, and missed Morrowind, and Skyrim looks so amazing, but I kept getting hung up on this whole process of objective -> objective -> objective and it always felt boring and uninteresting.

Now, though, adding that layer of a character, really letting myself get immersed, losing myself in the world, doing not what I, the gamer wants, but what Valentine would do (profit!), and it's so much more engaging.

• Options
    I went all-out in characterization when playing FO3 and NV--not so much Skyrim though. The amazing Starcraft Ghost mod was to blame--once you got that thing in FO3, it became so easy to commit to the part--sneaking around, stabbing people in the night, laser-painting enclave or Supermutant strongpoints for tactical nukes. I really wish someone had added Oblivion's journal system to FO3/NV.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I always struggle to be immersed in Skyrim.

Mainly because it takes a massive chunk of blows to kill anything and I'm constantly ducking in and out of menu's.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Having just assembled Jiub's Opus in Dawnguard: :lol:

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    I feel more immersed when it's harder to kill things.

I...I can't figure out how to do magic right. Granted usually magic is either useless or horrifically OP - same with alchemy, enchanting, and player made gear. Generally I just play a melee fighter and don't craft/enchant things, stay away from min maxing and don't look up guides, etc, spend my time going "oooh what is over HERE" and have fun in the games.

But anyway... I finally figured out the favorites -> hotkeys method. But it doesn't seem to work for magic. I'd like to equip a healing spell in my RIGHT hand but the healing spell in my favorites always goes to the LEFT hand when I click the hotkey. But it seems like I have to click that hotkey *every time* I want to use my magic. If I equip a spell and use it by clicking Z, then go hit something with a sword, clicking Z again does nothing. I'm not too bothered as I was mostly planning to give magic a pass anyway.

I will say I found Morrowind by far the best, story wise. Everyone treated you like criminal scum and was constantly making snide remarks about you (get out of here, OUTLANDER) until you had really done something in the world.

In Oblivion you're the chosen hero of the emperor and have earned the trust of the blades PDQ. And in Skyrim you are the amazing dragonborn having killed a dragon and absorbed his soul all in what felt like a few minutes. If anything Skyrim feels too easy (I'm using ACE and ASIS which is supposed to make things harder?) Oblivion was way too easy was well, at least until you installed OOO. I felt like Morrowind was hard as heck though :D But that was the first one I played.

The world also felt much bigger then, as there was no fast travel of any kind. You had to hoof it to silt strider/mage guild locations.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, no fast travel on this character. Riften is a surprising distance away from Whiterun when you have to actually travel it.

• Options
    I dunno, I'm just used to the mental knowledge that me stabbing this dude from behind with a knife should be a one hit kill not a 2X back stab.

I guess what I want is a difficulty setting that makes both me and my opposition squishy (by skyrim standards). At least when dealing with human sized things.

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    houn wrote:
    I do need to figure out two-dagger fighting better, because even when I'm sneaking I usually end up in combat sooner or later, and the mechanics of two weapons isn't quite clicking yet, though maybe I don't need two daggers...

As someone who's played alot of stealth characters in skyrim, here are some tips I can offer, feel free to use or discard them as is your preference of course.

Personally, I'm not fond of two weapons particularly as a stealthy type because I find them kinda redundant. If you have a high sneak getting that successful sneak attack (and dual wielding doesn't give you a sneak attack with both weapons - just whichever hits first) tends to end a fight in VERY short order - especially if you have a certain extra something from the dark brotherhood. As such I tend to prefer either blocking or using a spell in the off-hand - I find it just offers a degree of adaptability that dual wielding just doesn't seem to offer.

As far as sneaking itself goes, until you get the perk that eliminates noise generated by movement speed, make sure you use the keybind that makes you move slowly. I believe it's the ctrl key by default on the PC, not sure what it is on the console versions. It increases your chances of getting close to the target without detection considerably during the early levels when your stealth skill isn't so hot. The muffle spell in the illusion school of magic also helps early on. When approaching the target, also make sure you stay out of its line of sight as well, either by circling around behind the target from a distance and approaching from its rear, or using objects in the environment to block line of sight.

If you happen to be using pickpocket alot (and it sounds like you are), it's worth noting that high pickpocketing skill has some ridiculously fun options for stacking a fight in your favour. Like stealing your enemies weapons before a fight (or even during a fight if you're skilled enough :D ), or pickpocketing poisons into their inventories to kill them long before they're even aware of you.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    As far as sneaking itself goes, until you get the perk that eliminates noise generated by movement speed, make sure you use the keybind that makes you move slowly. I believe it's the ctrl key by default on the PC, not sure what it is on the console versions.

It's Caps Lock. Ctrl is the sneak key. You can also just hold Shift.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The world also felt much bigger then, as there was no fast travel of any kind. You had to hoof it to silt strider/mage guild locations.

I feel like I have to agree and disagree. Almsivi Intervention and Divine Intervention both got you to major population centers when cast; once you were in a major population center, there would generally be a way to get to almost every other major population center, whether through guild guides, silt striders, or boats. There was a bigger up-front cost in that you had to learn which fast travel methods could get you to which city, but after you had that map in your head (and it only took a few trips, really), it was close to trivial. I stopped noticing it. If I was clearing out a dungeon and hit carrying capacity, I would: Mark, glance at the world map to see if Almsivi or Divine Intervention would be more useful, cast whichever I picked, use guild guides or silt strider to get to Balmora (where my mod-added house was), drop off whatever items I wanted to keep, guild guide over to Caldera to visit the Creeper and sell off the other items, Recall to get back to the dungeon. Without a doubt, this took longer and required more brain-work on my part than Skyrim's instant travel, but in terms of the world seeming bigger in Morrowind? I disagree. This was actually the first time I experienced the shrinking of a game world through extensive use of fast travel. Morrowind was huge huge huge until I figured out these fast travel tricks, at which point the world became a handful of well-connected cities and their suburbs (where each suburb was as big as Almsivi/Divine Intervention allowed it to be).

EDIT: Mind you, I totally see the appeal of a no-fast-travel playthrough of Skyrim. If I have the time, I'd really like to give that a try at some point.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Maybe I never figured out the mark/recall thing. I dunno, it's been a while. I do remember doing Balmora/Caldera a lot though.

At least in Morrowind though, you had to get to a new place 'legit' like. At least it felt that way. I was shocked when I first opened up Oblivion and found I could just fast travel anywhere I wanted from anywhere. I think I installed a mod to make you have to discover a place first before you could do that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I like to run Skyrim with natural fast-travel. That is, no fast travelling except for using the ingame horse carriage and boat travel options. Fills the same role as the Silt Strider and mage guild transportation in Morrowind.

And it also leaves you the option in certain cities of no return trip because the carriage will sure take you to the place but then doesn't stick around to take you back :?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    At least in Morrowind though, you had to get to a new place 'legit' like. At least it felt that way. I was shocked when I first opened up Oblivion and found I could just fast travel anywhere I wanted from anywhere. I think I installed a mod to make you have to discover a place first before you could do that.

I don't remember what Oblivion was like, but that's how Skyrim is: You have to hoof it to a place on your own two legs at least once, and then after that you can magically zap to it whenever you want. You could also take a carriage to a city and then zap back to that city again, but this of course only works for these major locations; a carriage won't take you to some dungeon in the middle of nowhere, so you'll have to walk there at least once.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    My Morrowind character wore the Boots of Blinding Speed (with a spell to cancel the "blinding" part on the exceedingly infrequent occasions he had to take them off and put them back on) as soon as I found them. I'd wager that many players who piously assert the superiority of limited fast travel did the same, and/or abused Alchemy to make levitate uber-potions that could carry them across the entire island in minutes, made heavy use of Mark/Recall and Intervention as noted above, etc etc.

• Options
    Is there a mod that removes map markers/turns the map into a traditional map rather than it's fancy self?

That'd be neat.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    And it also leaves you the option in certain cities of no return trip because the carriage will sure take you to the place but then doesn't stick around to take you back :?
    Scenic Carriages adds carriages to the capitals that didn't previously have them, and the larger villages like Riverwood, Karthwasten, and Rorikstead. Current version has major crashing issues with Hearthfire, though.

• Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
  • Options
    That'd do it.

• Options
    Bob the InsaneBob the Insane Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I have gotten to that point where I have "over modded" and am watching more of a slide show than playing a game, great for the screenshots, not so much for the actually playing... In a fit of mod rage I deactivated all the mods in NMM but of course now my saves will not load and goodness knows which mod(s) are the cause of that...

So I guess I have a fun evening of A. working out which mods I need to load the recent saves and then B. working out which mods I can have without significant performance issues... Something to do until Dragonborn unlocks I guess... :)

Bob the Insane on
  • Options
    I'm thinking I might just deactivate all mods for Dragonborn since I expect many of the ones I'm using might conflict with it.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    New DLC doesn't generally conflict directly with or break mods unless the mod is performing or changing a function that the DLC also uses, which is rare.

Dawnguard broke like none of my mods. Some had to be updated for some functionality to work with DLC items, but as long as you don't have other issues, just getting some DLC isn't going to break stuff.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Well, I'll give it a shot at launch and see how it goes.

• Options
    I have gotten to that point where I have "over modded" and am watching more of a slide show than playing a game, great for the screenshots, not so much for the actually playing... In a fit of mod rage I deactivated all the mods in NMM but of course now my saves will not load and goodness knows which mod(s) are the cause of that...

So I guess I have a fun evening of A. working out which mods I need to load the recent saves and then B. working out which mods I can have without significant performance issues... Something to do until Dragonborn unlocks I guess... :)

If you use NMM, it's probably not too hard.

Generally mods that add objects or NPC's will complain if you turn them off as your save game suddenly references people or items that no longer exists. . Such mods also generally do not cause you frame rate issues.

I'd look at turning off things like: better/more lighting, fancier water, higher resolution textures, more detailed plants, higher res smoke - stuff like that.
    Turning off these almost never gives you problems with save games, because it simply modifies textures

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    Dragonborn just released on Steam! The client needed a restart first, but 990Mb are downloading now! :D

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Played for a few minutes, some saucy bastards ran up and implied I wasn't the swell hero I claim to be; arrows in foreheads settled the argument. Then I went for a boat ride! I picked new weeds, killed new creatures and set a new fashion trend for bandits: decapitated. So far so good!

• Options
    Hm, update seems to have borked my SKSE. It keeps booting to the skyrim launcher instead of directly to skyrim itself.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Works fine for me. Do you have the most recent version of SKSE?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Yup. Just did the whole shebang again a couple days ago, and again a few minutes ago.

e: found the problem, patch set the Skyrim folder back to Read Only, had to go in and run SKSE as admin.

Dac on