As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rock Band]: 4 has been announced! Out this year!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Is this a different version?

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Digging further, it looks like maybe it was pulled from the store at one point and now they have the license back.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Yes it was on Rock Band 2 aka you couldn't get it anymore.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So people who imported RB2 still have it and this is for those who missed out?

I mean, if I lose access to it in RB4 I won't be too sad since it wasn't much fun to play. I'm just trying to clarify.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It sort of amazes me they can release an entire expansion and now re-release songs from RB2 as individual purchases, but my Santeria purchase I made in the PSN web store still isn't working.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2016
    So people who imported RB2 still have it and this is for those who missed out?

I mean, if I lose access to it in RB4 I won't be too sad since it wasn't much fun to play. I'm just trying to clarify.

If you have RB2 exported then you'll have this song (and it'll likely show up as In Library / Owned or whatever, since it's technically already on the store as a single, just locked into the RB2 export bundle.. like, literally the same file everyone already downloaded)
    It sort of amazes me they can release an entire expansion and now re-release songs from RB2 as individual purchases, but my Santeria purchase I made in the PSN web store still isn't working.

Well, that's due to Sony.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    I achieved a zen like state last night. It's a shame all the songs I want to do in Brutal get muted by twitch lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X-w7kTMBFc

• Options
    I love Brutal so much. I just wish it were integrated as a difficulty choice, rather than being a separate mode.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wow.

I'm out of practice as it is, there are only a couple of songs I think I could tackle on Brutal mode, even given some time to get back in the groove.

• Options
    Since I'm a vocals guy there actually quite a few songs I know I could get Brutal Stars. It's just between Black Friday, Final Fantasy and Rivals mode I really don't have time to get them.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    @FyreWulff Challenge accepted. I didn't quite hit crimson on Warning, because of the final prechorus that's just a bit different rhythmically, but I'll get there.

@lionheart_m Brutal mode does count for Rivals, but you have to do the annoying dance of backing out of the main menu and finding the song to play it that way. Crimson stars give you 14% more XP for the weekly challenge than gold stars do.

What I really hate is that if I get a score in Brutal, the score is not reflected on the general song list. It's as if I haven't played it at all.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Wow.

I'm out of practice as it is, there are only a couple of songs I think I could tackle on Brutal mode, even given some time to get back in the groove.

There's probably a couple dozen songs I could gold star on Brutal if I worked at it but I very much don't want to memorize Rock Band charting for songs I like
    Since I'm a vocals guy there actually quite a few songs I know I could get Brutal Stars. It's just between Black Friday, Final Fantasy and Rivals mode I really don't have time to get them.

No worries, we're not getting out of Gold this week and I don't think it was ever on the table with the holiday and all. I just checked and with 4 hours to go we're 62nd percentile on spotlight songs and 78th on crew exp. Even if we all played non-stop we're not hitting 80th percentile average.

Which I'm ok with, hopefully next week doesn't include prog :P

• Options
    Dammit. Sorry guys, man and this challenge I could've gotten a bunch of easy Gold Stars. Oh well.

• Options
    We were pretty ok on crew exp. I could have gotten us back into the 90s on that before the deadline without too much trouble

We just got killed on the spotlight songs. Short of nailing White Denim on every part I don't think there's much we could have done.

• Options
    So, yeah, it's confirmed Chop Suey! is free to you if you already exported RB2, even for regions that don't have the RB2 export working yet.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    So yeah, PDP apparently has customer service that literally does not exist. After trying to contact them for more than a week, I have not heard back from them in any way and I was forced to call my credit card company to dispute the charge, which it seems like they will do. I emailed PDP, submitted online requests on their website, tweeted them once and called over a dozen times. Every time I called, even during their listed hours, I got a recorded message saying no one was available and to leave a voicemail. I did leave one and haven't heard back so, whatever....

I just reordered the Legacy adapter from Amazon, and even if I have issues there, Amazon at least has some more avenues for me to go down I believe.

Although, it's not like I will actually have any time to play this month....

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Oh man. My ION drum adapter is at the sorting facility in town. So much hype.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I guess gamestop didn't sell as many black friday units as they thought they would, cause now it's massive discount time

amazon price matched it as well: Game + Guitar / Full Bundle

• Options
    Oh my; that's even cheaper than buying a Stand Alone drumset.

Also PS4 bros! i can't do it alone I need some help to keep us in Gold :bigfrown:

• Options
    Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    So I've stayed away from RB4 ever since it came out based on what the majority of people were saying about the state of the game at the time. All this time later, what is the consensus? Is it worth purchasing now (as I have every previous release)?

Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Fuck it. Bought the full band pack, the store even handed me a red Jaguar on top. Not bad

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Okay sure, I'll get the band pack. I have no reason to play RB3 anymore other than Keys anyways now that most of everything has made it over finally.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    There are a few things I miss about RB3, but with the exports all done, and custom setlists back, it's good enough for me.

• Options
    Yeah it's suuuuper tempting to pick up the full band kit to get the drums again. I have drums but they're stuck up in Canada where I left them, so it'd be redundant.. might bite on the charcoal Jag

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah, my RB3 drums and guitars are pretty beat up. And this gives me a second mic for harmonies too.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Raziel_pm wrote: »
    So I've stayed away from RB4 ever since it came out based on what the majority of people were saying about the state of the game at the time. All this time later, what is the consensus? Is it worth purchasing now (as I have every previous release)?
    Character appearance selection is anemic compared to earlier editions, and pro guitar and keys are no longer supported. There is no "how to play Rock Band" tutorial, like I think there should be. Real-time online play isn't implemented yet, but is supposed to be coming soon as part of Rivals. I can't think of any other big regressions left, though. The Rivals update restored a ton of missing stuff, like fine-grained song list filtering and playlists.

At this point I think it is solidly in the "better than RB3" zone, unless you use the online mode or keys/pro guitar.

• Options
    Rivals is actually pretty cool. It kinda reminds me of RB2's challenges but it's much more focused.

Also, I bit the bullet and just bought the full band kit. I dunno what I'm gonna do with that extra Rivals disc though.

• Options
    I know I got the Target bundle, but I've never liked the Strat. I'd be up for a Jag, however.

• Options
    Oh my; that's even cheaper than buying a Stand Alone drumset.

Also PS4 bros! i can't do it alone I need some help to keep us in Gold :bigfrown:

I'll be putting points up before the timer is up. Division updated has brought people back so I've been wasting time on that recently.

• Options
    Move Minor Standard is doing pretty well, but only three of us have posted scores. If we had anywhere near our full 10 participating we'd be crushing it.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Move Minor Standard is doing pretty well, but only three of us have posted scores. If we had anywhere near our full 10 participating we'd be crushing it.

I'll be rocking shit later today. Been away from the Xbox all weekend.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

My adapter is coming, so eventually I will contribute. But that might not be too frequently this month because my wife is back at work (on a midnight shift :bigfrown:) and I am barely able to shower and get ready for the next day after I put both kids to sleep.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Man, that cheap Jaguar is very tempting.

I did the firmware update on my MadCatz Strat and it's vastly better than it was before. I used to get pretty regular disconnects where the game would simply stop accepting input from the guitar at all, though the XBone link light on the guitar itself would stay on and the xbox itself wouldn't see the controller actually disconnected. The only way to fix it was to shut off and turn on the guitar. That problem has completely gone away since the firmware update. I feel like it might be slightly more accurate and drop fewer notes as well. It had a habit of pretending I wasn't actually holding the blue fret occasionally. Maybe it's observation bias but that seems like less of an issue.

That has me really happy with the Strat now, though it would be nice to have a second guitar. Most of the reviews on Amazon are for the bundle and generally say "Rivals is awsome, guitar is mediocre" but don't expound on the guitar at all. I feel like I would hate the placement of the buttons. My Beatles RB Gretch was my long time favorite, but the tilt sensor straight up did not work short of shaking the guitar vigorously, so I am completely trained to Overdrive via button. That seems to be a no-go with the tiny Jaguar buttons placed way away from the strum bar.

I also have concerns about the folding neck. The GH3 guitar's detachable neck basically only accomplished introducing a point of failure that would sometimes cause notes to drop. I just don't see the benefit of the fold. I guess having the option of the charging station would be ok. A couple reviews mentioned the neck on the Jaguar having a little play to it, and that's a little concerning.

Some reviews have said the buttons are less 'sticky', which I sometimes miss a note from on the Strat, and the strum bar is more accurate for fast sections and quieter, which sounds great. The Strat's strum bar is juuuust loud enough to annoy me at times.

EDIT: They have the charcoal ones instead of that ugly ass blue at Gamestop? Fuck it, I'm in.

Cog on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    The button cable goes through the hinge. Nothing ever disconnects. You can technically play the Jag while it's folded, lol

There's a tiiiiny amount of flex, but you won't really notice it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Activision at least addressed their shitty GH3 design by switching to a USB-style connector for GH4. I'm actually getting strum issues rather than fretting ones.

I have not seen the charcoal Jag yet, but I don't mind the blue one. Frankly, I'd be considering just painting it my own colour anyway.

• Options
    Raziel_pm wrote: »
    Character appearance selection is anemic compared to earlier editions, and pro guitar and keys are no longer supported. There is no "how to play Rock Band" tutorial, like I think there should be. Real-time online play isn't implemented yet, but is supposed to be coming soon as part of Rivals. I can't think of any other big regressions left, though. The Rivals update restored a ton of missing stuff, like fine-grained song list filtering and playlists.

At this point I think it is solidly in the "better than RB3" zone, unless you use the online mode or keys/pro guitar.

The game is absolutely not the same RB4 that came out ~a year ago. They're doing a good job making it a "platform" now, and bolting more features onto it.

I think my most consistent remaining annoyance with the game is that each player can't individually rate songs for their instrument during the after-song score screen like you could in RB3. When we're playing at home it seems like only the person who's band you're playing under gets to rate, and only in the song library screen. Since they added navigating the songlist by first letter instead of bandname, I don't really have any further quality-of-life complaints.

My wife hates the new cymbal uh.. symbols.. on pro drums, but that's just a matter of time and familiarity.

I guess there could be more character customization, but I usually just set myself up as "a guy in a shirt and jeans who sorta kinda looks like me" and never think about it again. The Rockudrama was amusing, and I might eventually go back and try to get the 'best' ending for it. I think I was like 60 fame short. Between that and the weekly Rivals challenges, they did a really good job of putting in modes that get me to play songs outside of the ~50-100 go-to songs we tend to play the most in quickplay.

I don't get the point of levels and skill rating aside from e-peen.

• Options
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    The button cable goes through the hinge. Nothing ever disconnects. You can technically play the Jag while it's folded, lol

There's a tiiiiny amount of flex, but you won't really notice it.

That is very reassuring, thanks. I'm also compelled by the charging base and battery pack, instead of blowing through AAs. I reserved a bundle, gonna go pick it up over lunch.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I'm liking this week's challenge. Give me an excuse to blow through all my Hendrix.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I bumped up our Spotlight ranking by a few percent by gold staring Bass and put about 9k into the crew exp

We're around 86th percentile for spotlight scores which should be solid but only about 70th for crew exp. However we're now in a place on crew exp where it looks like just about every song played will move us up the leader board.

I'm gonna push DLC songs after work tomorrow but challenge ends at midnight Eastern and that only gives me about 2 1/2 hours after work so I'm not sure if we can pull it off without some exp from other people too.

• Options
    Last night I was too tired to attempt anything. I'll see if I can put in some xp tonight.