As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rock Band]: 4 has been announced! Out this year!

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I think the HMX dudes offloaded their remaining stock at PAX East but it couldn't hurt to ask them via social media.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Not even joking - it's probably cheaper to find someone's Wii RB2 drums and buy them for the dongle than it is to buy the dongle separately

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Rock Band will be coming to next gen consoles...........sometime, eventually, probably, maybe.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Probably just long enough for everyone to sell/throw their last gen plastic instruments away to free up space to buy new plastic instruments.

If they release a PC version, that might be interesting.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I ended up finding one on Ebay for $21 shipped..and as a bonus a nearby Gamestop had the 2 pack of cymbals for $8. Debating going back for the $20 keyboard too...

The Wii version still feels pretty lousy compared to when I had the HD version, but we're having fun with it.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    PC version will never happen. No way that the licensees ever approve it -- Harmonix has gone on record saying they're scared shitless of the implications of a PC version of their licensed music games.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I should ask Aaron on Twitter about my guitar issues...

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Anybody else think that Guardians of the Galaxy is going to increase sales of Cherry Bomb?

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Weird. I wonder why though? I mean, yeah, there are issues I guess, but Rocksmith seemed to do okay on PC right? I'm enjoying it there at least.
    I would love a current gen version of Rock Band in a few years or so. That'll be about the right age where I think my daughter might enjoy playing it.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Weird. I wonder why though? I mean, yeah, there are issues I guess, but Rocksmith seemed to do okay on PC right? I'm enjoying it there at least.
    I would love a current gen version of Rock Band in a few years or so. That'll be about the right age where I think my daughter might enjoy playing it.

I don't think Rocksmith's files are meaningfully different from a high quality MP3 of the song, while Rock Band stores all game audio as fully stemmed multitrack audio. S'why Rocksmith DLC is usually in the 3-5MB range while Rock Band DLC is more in the 30-40MB range. It's what you'd need to be able to pull any sample from any song in the game and do whatever the fuck you wanted with it.

For example, when developing Beatles Rock Band, the team worked with intentionally super low quality copies of the audio in their Boston studio because Apple did not want high quality multitrack stems leaving their possession.

Now, those files have nontheless gotten out from the game through people decrypting xbox discs or whatever, but the barrier to retrieving them is much higher than on PC.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Ah, so they're worried about the stems themselves, not the whole "people creating custom DLC" thing, which, there's really no way to stop that on PC. That I can understand. I might be a little weirded out having my bands stems floating around out there too. Bummer. It would be nice to be able to play on the big TV with the family and by myself in the computer room though, all without having to move a console.

On the flip of that though, does it matter where the decryption happens though? Whether it was from a PC file or an Sony or Microsoft disc? Once it happens on any of them, the files end up on the internet. Maybe delay the PC release? PC delayed releases have been a thing for awhile.

Also they'd have to think about how many PC copies could they sell even? Would it be worth the effort? Perhaps now that Sony and Microsoft are both on the same architecture as PC, porting could be super easy. How big would the peripheral market be on PC though? Could they make all the controllers universal to solve that problem? Man, would that have been great the first go round if would have been possible? Then you customer can buy "rock band box of instruments" and the appropriate copy of the game. Stores only have to stock one SKU for the instrument box. Finding the PS3 version of the big box for Rock Band 1 in the store was annoying in the store.

If there were to a be PC version, cool. If not, also cool. I just miss playing Rock Band with a group of people. Rocksmith is enjoyable for a completely different reason than Rock Band was.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I will buy it when it comes out, and I do miss it, but I have so many questions about this. I think we all assume our DLC is gone. We all knew this could happen, but it might be hard to buy a new version knowing I have, no I don't even want to think about it, we'll say X, $X in DLC that I've bought over the years.

Also, how are they going to do a pro mode? I was pretty hyped on RB3 Pro mode, bought the Squire they put out, and enjoyed it for awhile. Then Rocksmith went and did what HMX said they couldn't do. Any guitar, analyze the sound, little delay. It's not perfect, but neither was RB3's pro mode. You could easily cheat on that as well.

I will probably buy it when it comes out, but after getting hooked on Rocksmith 2014, they have some work to do on the pro mode side of things.

• Options
    I think ultimately Rocksmith ended up with the better solution, but that's mostly because the peripherals that did get made for RB Pro guitar are just so lackluster quality. It's just less fun to play songs on the plastic-fretboard Squier and it's a real damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't choice between using the string mute or not.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

I don't think Rocksmith's files are meaningfully different from a high quality MP3 of the song, while Rock Band stores all game audio as fully stemmed multitrack audio. S'why Rocksmith DLC is usually in the 3-5MB range while Rock Band DLC is more in the 30-40MB range. It's what you'd need to be able to pull any sample from any song in the game and do whatever the fuck you wanted with it.

For example, when developing Beatles Rock Band, the team worked with intentionally super low quality copies of the audio in their Boston studio because Apple did not want high quality multitrack stems leaving their possession.

Now, those files have nontheless gotten out from the game through people decrypting xbox discs or whatever, but the barrier to retrieving them is much higher than on PC.

To be fair, there are REALLY awesome remasters coming from those stems. My dad said it's some of the best/cleanest sounding he's ever heard.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I think ultimately Rocksmith ended up with the better solution, but that's mostly because the peripherals that did get made for RB Pro guitar are just so lackluster quality. It's just less fun to play songs on the plastic-fretboard Squier and it's a real damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't choice between using the string mute or not.

The ACTUAL Stratocaster you could buy (real guitar, not plastic) being extremely rare probably didn't help either.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »

To be fair, there are REALLY awesome remasters coming from those stems. My dad said it's some of the best/cleanest sounding he's ever heard.

Yeah. But I'd say it's understandable that the rights holder would not want those stems out there, otherwise how are they gonna sell your dad another even better remaster of the Beatles albums in a decade?

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular

The ACTUAL Stratocaster you could buy (real guitar, not plastic) being extremely rare probably didn't help either.

The Rock Band Fender Squier Strat's fretboard was plastic. Kind of a bummer, considering the build quality otherwise seems pretty all right (leastways, compared to the other Squier I acquired to play Rocksmith).

• Options

That's the one I have. It has a plastic fretboard. Honestly that's less offputting than the awkward mute and the gapped fretwire**, though. When I played it at times I was thinking I might have been better off buying the mustang, tbh.

*which you can either turn on and ruin any chance of sustaining notes, or turn off and have the game fail to detect half of your playing
    **which is necessary for the in-game fretting detection, I believe

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Anybody else think that Guardians of the Galaxy is going to increase sales of Cherry Bomb?

No, but I'm sure it will increase rentals of Reservoir Dogs.

• Options
    Apparently I chose the correct console what with John Drake joining Sony.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    He probably still gets to work on Amplitude this way.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Harmonix sent out a Rock Band survey through their newsletter. Has questions about how much you still play Rock Band, what instruments you own, and what new Rock Band things you'd be most interested in. Take a couple minutes and go fill it out!

• Options
    shit... torn on where legacy gear would fall...

I would like to get a new drum kit so I can play those 300+ songs I have, but a sale on DLC would be nice too...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    My rankings were, respectively:

1. New RB on current gen
    2. New DLC
    3. New RB on last gen
    4. New hardware (I already have everything I could possibly need all in working condition, though)
    5. Sale on old DLC

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    I think I went
    New RB on current gen
    New Hardware - my guitar's kind of blown out, and I'd like to move over to PS3, but all my gear is XBox (only my XBox is dead and I don't feel like replacing it)
    New RB on last gen
    New DLC
    Old DLC

• Options
    I'm curious to see what this leads to as I would be interested in anything new, DLC or otherwise.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I went with

1. Hardware
    2. New DLC
    3. New RB last gen
    4. New RB current gen
    5. DLC sale

But then I'm probably very much in the minority as someone who would pay hundreds for high quality build five button guitars. Like seriously I will give them $300 for a wood body maintainable five button guitar in a heartbeat. And I'd buy two :P

• Options
    Logitech made some like that a few years back. They were good and heavy.

I was new current gen, new DLC, Hardware, DLC sale, new last gen mainly because there isn't really a whole lot they can do this gen, except combine the best of RB2 and RB3 features.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah they're just about impossible to find though from what I gather, especially for PS3.

• Options
    Another round of DLC license expirations

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/234236/rock-band-dlc-re-licensing-info-updated-quarterly#latest
    Hey gang,

Below are the back catalog DLC tracks that will be affected in the next round of relicensing. These tracks should come down from the store on Tuesday August 26th, so you still have a few weeks left to pick them up. As always, content updates on a different schedule for every console, so you may see content affected a little earlier or a little later, but that date is the most up to date info we have at the moment.

The affected tracks include:

Fleetwood Mac - "World Turning"
    Fleetwood Mac - "Don’t Stop"

Spinal Tap - "(Funky) Sex Farm"
    Spinal Tap - "(Listen to The) Flower People (Reggae Style)"
    Spinal Tap - "America"
    Spinal Tap - "Back From The Dead"
    Spinal Tap - "Big Bottom"
    Spinal Tap - "Cups and Cakes"
    Spinal Tap - "Gimme Some Money"
    Spinal Tap - "Heavy Duty"
    Spinal Tap - "Hell Hole"
    Spinal Tap - "Rock N Roll Creation"
    Spinal Tap - "Rock ‘n’ Roll Nightmare"
    Spinal Tap - "Saucy Jack"
    Spinal Tap - "Stonehenge"
    Spinal Tap - "Tonight I’m Gonna Rock You Tonight"
    Spinal Tap - "Warmer Than Hell"

Spinal Tap Pack 01
    Spinal Tap’s Tap Ten

As with the previous updates, these songs are coming down from the in game store, but if you already downloaded them nothing should change for you. Check the above posts for more info, and if there are additional questions that need clarification we’ll be sure to add an FAQ to this post.

Probably some Spinal Tap songs that I want to grab, will need to make sure to do that before they come down.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    Aw damn, I don't think I have World Turning yet.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Got about a month to fix that!

• Options
    I don't think I have World Turning either...

And I'll need to listen to the album to see if there are any other Tap songs I want besides Big Bottom and Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight which I already have.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    So I've finally gone through and checked out all the RB songs released since the end of 2011. Now my list of definites and maybes is complete. All that's left would be to check the songs that get pulled to make sure I don't miss anything later.

On that note, I'm pretty sure I'm only getting Gimmie Some Money and probably only because it was in Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter is Dead. Never really cared for Spinal Tap.

• Options
    The weird thing is I feel like I'm supposed to like Spinal Tap

But the whole thing is just kinda... meh

• Options
    It's...okay. The movie was better when it was new and different. But the mocumentary has been done better (by none other than Christopher Guest himself) more recently and the characters aren't really relatable even as archetypes. I think what has hurt it was them actually forming the band and occasionally touring with it. Now that in itself is funny, but for different reasons. As ur-examples of both cringe comedy and the mocumentary there is something there, but it never aged well. And far too many people have taken it far too seriously.

If you can, listen to their audio commentary for the movie as they do it in character. The joke wears thin pretty quickly.

• Options
    Yeah I think people singing it's praises is what killed it for me

I saw it in my early teens and thought it was pretty good

But talking to people who really really like it somehow turned me off to it almost entirely

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Shit, I didn't even know the band was a joke until ... long after I should have. I remember being up late one night watching Headbanger's Ball on MTV or some other metal show and they were on. And they premiered a video for a song called Bitch School. I totally bought into it thinking it was legit.

...I was easily fooled as a kid.

Anyways, I just did that survey. My rankings were:

1. New RB on new consoles
    2. New instruments on legacy consoles
    3. New RB on legacy consoles
    4. New DLC
    5. Old DLC sale

I did ask Aaron on Twitter about my guitar. He pointed me to the DIY thread on the forums plus someone else piped up and said to open it up and look for obvious problems (I guess the soldering on the power unit is notoriously bad, and I think that's what my problem was). I need to bring it to my friend's house and see if he can figure it out.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2014
    Anyone who loves RB and is coming to PAX should stop by The 1st Rock Band After Party. 7PM on 9/1 at the Unicorn in Seattle. :)

They're also down in Renton at AFK Tavern every Sunday at 8pm. Here's their livestream: http://www.twitch.tv/seattlerockband/

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.