As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Ultimate Date Movie

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Sanic hadgeheg.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Pfft.

• Options
    I'm finding myself weirdly reminded of Lego City. Man, I should get back to that game at some point.

Also, Sonic's fighting style is so op plz nerf.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Yipes. That explains a lot.

Oh, a bunch of concept drawings leaked, and the bandage-riffic characters look downright normal compared to what could have been:

sonic_rejected.0.0.jpg

sonic_sketch.0.jpg

But the biggest potential change was what they wanted to do to Robotnik*. Are you ready?
    eggman.0.jpg

*Yes yes, "Eggman" or whatever you kids are calling him these days. I'm old and Robotnik is better.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'd play it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    They were working on this since 2012? That's... Kinda sad.

Like I knew it was in development for a long while, but as an original IP. They made the switch 2 and a half years ago and it still came out butts?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Butts are subjective.

• Options
    I really like that top Sonic concept art btw. You wanna redesign an iconic character, that's how you do it, go hella abstract with it, not stretch the proportions and throw a couple bandages on. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I do quite like that design.

Of course, that design would look best in 2d animation.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Holy geez that text box. That's some programmer-made art if I ever saw one.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Having played some of the game, I think I like it as the kind of game it is.

But that sort of game is definitely not a traditional (or modern, for that matter) Sonic game. In fact, in this game, the high speed running segments feel almost like token additions because someone working on it said a Sonic game needs speed segments to be part of the franchise.

What I've played of the 3DS game feels more like standard Sonic, so there's that.

Enlong on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    What I don't get about the whole Sonic Boom thing is why so many people seem to wrongly believe that scarves don't always make everything look cooler.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    What I don't get about the whole Sonic Boom thing is why so many people seem to wrongly believe that scarves don't always make everything look cooler.

It's more than cancelled out by all the bandages.

• Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    I really like that top Sonic concept art btw. You wanna redesign an iconic character, that's how you do it, go hella abstract with it, not stretch the proportions and throw a couple bandages on. :I

Add that Sonic design as skin in Rayman Origins/Legends and you probably get the best Sonic game in a while!

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    carmofin wrote: »

Add that Sonic design as skin in Rayman Origins/Legends and you probably get the best Sonic game in a while!

Sonic using the Rayman Ubiarts engine would be beautiful.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Boy those concept sketches are way, way, way, way better than what actually came out.

I would totally be ok with a totally redesigned Sonic in a game that worked well. I would even be ok if it was accompanied by a non-2d-platforming game, because hey, you're re-doing everything, go ahead and re-do everything.

Or I guess release a buggy piece of crap with "redesigned" bandages

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I actually really like those sketches of Sonic. I mean, it's too far removed from what he's always looked like so they'd never actually go with it, but it looks like a decent cartoon character.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Is there ever a good reason to equip something other than the quick-charge glyph?

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I love cargo pants Sonic and Robotnerd. They're really expressive designs. Sonic just looks fast; the way his quills move around in relation to his speed is fantastic.

Maybe they felt that Robotnik with toolbelt and glasses would have too much overlap with Tails? Actually, most of those designs would adapt to Tails pretty well.

Edit: Avatar? Avatar!

Frem on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Yipes. That explains a lot.

Oh, a bunch of concept drawings leaked, and the bandage-riffic characters look downright normal compared to what could have been:

sonic_rejected.0.0.jpg

sonic_sketch.0.jpg

But the biggest potential change was what they wanted to do to Robotnik*. Are you ready?
    eggman.0.jpg

*Yes yes, "Eggman" or whatever you kids are calling him these days. I'm old and Robotnik is better.

Well if i needed more proof they were developing this as a new ip long before Sega came along this would be it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    We got Mummy Sonic because Sega was never going to allow for such an extreme deviation from their mascot. Although Robotnik's redesigns were terrible. Boom's ultimate design isn't much better with him being all top-heavy instead of, you know, egg-shaped.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I just noticed this one

MtId5O3.png

<3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I just noticed this one

MtId5O3.png

<3

That may actually be my favorite.

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    Man, I knew Sonic Team finally made a good game engine and mechanics system when they made the Hedgehog Engine, but I did not actually think it was so good it could fix Sonic 2006:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vqaxqom3mQ

Some Sonic fans have got some Adventure, Colours and Unleashed levels physically working in Generation's version of the Hedgehog engine and the results are amazing. Sure there is the odd lighting issue here and there with Colours, but damn if I don't see the dedication they put into it.

• Options
    Think it says good things about the engine that modders can just shove new content into Generations and have it work so well.

Also with how stable and perfectly the Unleashed levels work in Generations, I'm surprised Sega never packaged em up and sold it as DLC. Maybe with a new Boss fight for Classic Sonic based on Unleashed for a lil' more value.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Think it says good things about the engine that modders can just shove new content into Generations and have it work so well.

Also with how stable and perfectly the Unleashed levels work in Generations, I'm surprised Sega never packaged em up and sold it as DLC. Maybe with a new Boss fight for Classic Sonic based on Unleashed for a lil' more value.

Sega missed a lot of DLC opportunities with Generations.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Sega missed a lot of opportunities with Generations period. Still baffled they didn't bother to release it for the Wii, the platform that tends to generate the biggest Sonic sales. Hell, a Wii U port would have worked.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

Especially since Unleashed had what, like six DLC level packs?

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Sega missed a lot of opportunities with Generations period. Still baffled they didn't bother to release it for the Wii, the platform that tends to generate the biggest Sonic sales. Hell, a Wii U port would have worked.

Clearly they are saving it for Generations 2. Get Generations 1 packed in the game for free.

Please Sega?

Pretty please?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I think they just assumed Generations wasn't going to be considered good. They got the game done and moved onto the next project and next engine. Like, Sega was so tired of every game not being good enough they just stopped trying. Then it turned out to be a good game but they'd already committed their resources elsewhere.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/BY2HF4Lf9kI

I know Jim Sterling can be kind of a controversial figure but I think he makes some excellent points here.

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Though I could do without all the scatological humour, Jim's pretty much bang on. It does seem weird that he points to Sonic Colours ditching of the Werehog in favor of the Wisps as a "reboot" when the majority of the gameplay is a continuation of what Unleashed established, and he does it again when he highlights Sonic 4 and Generations (Sonic 4 shouldn't count as them ditching that stuff when Generations was a continuation of Unleashed and Colours).

And ultimately, we have no idea what Sonic Team are actually up to at the moment. They could still very well be refining Lost World's gameplay for the next main Sonic game.

None of this belittles Jim's points, I just wanted to point it out.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    The show is alright. ._.b

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    The show is cute. I'm digging Sticks more and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRaCPW1fkjs

Hold onto your butts, some dudes made Mystic Cave Zone for Generations complete with music remix.

The modern stage had me in stitches.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I know Sonic Lost World is bad and I was kind of bored when I first tried it, but its on sale this weekend and I do love Sonic.

I remember when reviews were first coming out that some people were saying the 3DS version was better but a quick glance at metacritic says that's no longer true.

Sonic people? Opinions?

Edit: Hmm. Sonic Generations PC is on sale too. That might be the smarter choice.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Between the two, Generations absolutely.

I'm not sure exactly why, but Lost World was the first 3D Sonic game I've played ('06, Unleashed, and Boom being the only gaps in my experience) that completely failed to engage me in any capacity. The parkour mechanics are just a little bit off, and the Deadly Six are kind've under-designed as villains. They notably passed on an opportunity to do something really cool in the story toward the end, and overall it's just... bland. Like, it's not even a hilarious trainwreck the way the '06 is, it's just not noteworthy in any direction.

Generations, on the other hand, is a total nostalgia trip and can float itself on those grounds alone.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
This discussion has been closed.