Options

[Drakengard Series Discussion] Death from above, insanity from below.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Got Ending A.

Uh... well, then...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    That was my reaction. Along with a heavy dose of "I don't understand, I just don't understaaaand!" (Imagine that in a porklift voice...)

The grind for weapons is wearing me down. I don't know if I can make it to Ending D...

For all new players coming into the game: Do NOT upgrade weapons! It only leads to more pain and suffering down the line!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    That's exactly why I didn't bother with ending (uh, final) in D1. Maybe that's why I didn't walk away loathing Cavia.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    I guess I didn't have any problem collecting all the weapons in this, especially since they list which treasures you found after missions, and very, very few of them are even sort of hidden.

If you play at all thoroughly, then all you'll need to do to buy the last few, when you get to that point, is do Survival 3 a few times.

Shit, if you don't even want to have to find them yourselves, there is already a FAQ for the game up.

Platinuming the game will involve some grinding, but getting all the weapons happened more or less by accident for me. When I got to where the game told me to collect them all, I just went and bought the shop out with the gold I had on hand, since chests start giving huge sums once you're into the B/C branches.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I got all the weapons and worked my way through Branch D.

FFFFFFFFFFFFYOOOOUUUUUUU Cavia. FFFFFFFYOUUU!!!!!!

I can't do this... I just can't get to the ending cinematic...

Branch D ending spoilers:
    I have no musical talent. Any time I can't see the rings I need to react to, I die. What sadist designed a rhythm game where you can't see what you're supposed to react to? Not to mention, the rhythm changes with each Sister...

Akilae on
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Akilae wrote: »
    I got all the weapons and worked my way through Branch D.

FFFFFFFFFFFFYOOOOUUUUUUU Cavia. FFFFFFFYOUUU!!!!!!

I can't do this... I just can't get to the ending cinematic...

I have no musical talent. Any time I can't see the rings I need to react to, I die. What sadist designed a rhythm game where you can't see what you're supposed to react to? Not to mention, the rhythm changes with each Sister...

This can help (D ROUTE BOSS SPOILERS)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBhIapW2iTA

Syncing your computer to the beats will take a few tries and even then it's still pretty tough. I've gotten as far as the 6:15 mark

I'd recommend alternating between L1 and R1 for the really close beats, to prevent lag.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    First time I've seen the whole Branch D boss fight. That last sequence is brutal... especially the fade to black...

• Options
    Yeah, the branch D boss is probably the hardest gaming-related thing I've done in... I don't even want to think how long. There's just so little margin for error, and it's so long.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So, I've always wanted to play Nier, but my ex took the game with her when we broke up, before I ever got a chance to play it. Now that Drakengard 3 is out, I figure I should go ahead and jump into the series (I've never played any of the games.) I've started... experiencing the LP of 1, as per the recommendation at the beginning of this thread. I figure I'll actually play Nier, so I have it on order from amazon. Should I play 2, or should I just do the LP?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    There's literally no reason to play 1 & 2 with the LPs around. He basically took one for the team there, by suffering through the bad gameplay and horrible ending unlock requirements for us. If you haven't already been spoiled on anything, you even get to experience most of the bizarre twists fairly fresh, without getting frustrated or bored.

Nier has perfectly serviceable gameplay that is actually okay to fun most of the time. The music and storytelling are amazing enough to keep you playing.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I'll do the LP then. I've seen bits and pieces of Nier when my ex was playing it, and it looked good, which is why I want to play it myself.

• Options
    Just do your best to avoid spoilers. Also, ignore basically every quest and just get through the game. There's like four you need to do to get all the endings (you have to collect all the weapons, I believe, and you get a few through quests). Just ask here and I'm sure someone can give you a spoiler-free hint or two.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    2 is the weakest of the games, so if there's any you shouldn't play, it's that one. The gameplay is slightly better than the original, but it's worse in every other aspect, so it doesn't even begin to balance out.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Why avoid the quests?

• Options
    Most of them are bad and give bad rewards. One of the very first is to cross a huge chunk of the map while carrying a fragile package that will break if you jump, roll, attack or get hit. There are still plenty of enemies that literally spawn out of nowhere. If it breaks you have to start all over. I believe your reward is a bit of money, and there are two or three copies of this quest in the game.

Don't even get me started on fishing. Or gardening.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The fishing's not even hard once you figure it out... it's just that the game lies to you about how to do it, haha.

The quests are side stuff, and some can be kinda tedious. The dialogue you get when you fail the fragile delivery ones is pretty amusing, though.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Nier is basically stockholm syndrome once you get into it. First playthrough: "These quests suck, why do I keep completing a shopping list for these jerks?"

Second playthrough: "Hmm, I could probably set up some things to farm later while I'm redoing the main quest."

Third playthrough: "Where do I catch a breem again? And which one of these enemies drops the Rusty Locket?"

Fourth playthrough: "Yes! My crossbreeded plant came through! Now to change the system clock to set up the next one."

Of course, that only goes if you're going achievement complete. Which I wouldn't necessarily recommend...

• Options
    God, the commentary in this LP is better than the actual game.

• Options
    Nier is definitely the most must-play of their games(though I want to try Bullet Witch eventually...). And a lot of the quests have good dialogue to them.

There's a certain appeal to experiencing D1 first hand, but the LP is really great.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Nier is basically stockholm syndrome once you get into it. First playthrough: "These quests suck, why do I keep completing a shopping list for these jerks?"

Second playthrough: "Hmm, I could probably set up some things to farm later while I'm redoing the main quest."

Third playthrough: "Where do I catch a breem again? And which one of these enemies drops the Rusty Locket?"

Fourth playthrough: "Yes! My crossbreeded plant came through! Now to change the system clock to set up the next one."

Of course, that only goes if you're going achievement complete. Which I wouldn't necessarily recommend...

buh wuh huh

The quests in Nier were super fun. They were the whole reason I kept playing the game.

• Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    2 is the weakest of the games, so if there's any you shouldn't play, it's that one. The gameplay is slightly better than the original, but it's worse in every other aspect, so it doesn't even begin to balance out.

I actually liked 2 a lot more. Why is it considered the weakest?

• Options
    Because it traded the batshit insanity of the first game for anime bullshit, and dropped the incredible Caim for that horrible JRPG reject.

The only legitimately good part of Drakengard 2 is Caim's intro.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    So I finished the LP of 1. So yeah, that was a thing. I'm pretty damn glad I didn't play through all that myself, I think I would have broken something.

• Options
    It really wasn't as bad as he makes it sound.

Of course, he did all the weapons. And the final battle.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The gameplay is pretty shitty, tho

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I don't know how, but with a combination of youtube syncing and countless reloads, I've seen the ending and I'm done.

This game is getting sold, and I'm using the credit I get towards something less infuriating. Like, I dunno, Wolfenstein.

Nier was worth keeping around because it was seriously a good game with interesting plot points. This... well, it's not bad, but I just can't bring myself to face it again. The music isn't memorable enough for me to want to keep it around, and the plot is simplistic and straightforward.

• Options
    The gameplay is pretty shitty, tho

It's a hack'n'slash. There's nothing intrinsically offensive about it. You want truly awful gameplay, try Magna Carta: Tears of Bl(ooooooooooooo)ood.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    A good bit of the Drakengard 3 DLC dropped today (I think the only things not for general purchase at the moment now are the pre-order bits, like Caim/Kainé/NieR Costumes, but those might've been exclusive? I hope not, even though I have them) and the Sister Prologues were part of it. They're $5.99 a piece or $29.99 for the Bundle (which includes One's Prologue apparently, which you can't buy on its own).

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It really wasn't as bad as he makes it sound.

Of course, he did all the weapons. And the final battle.

I wouldn't have broken something because of the gameplay exactly, but because of the E ending after handling the final 'fight'.

• Options
    Yeah, I can imagine.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Because it traded the batshit insanity of the first game for anime bullshit, and dropped the incredible Caim for that horrible JRPG reject.

Ah. Yeah, I didn't care about the story, D2's gameplay was better.

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq2hNEVf9jE

Seriously, it's just so fucking good.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I think I gave Drakengard 3 a fair shake. I made it to somewhere in
    the forest, right after squishing the faerie king
    before giving up. I just can't tolerate the framerate and the effect it has on the gameplay. It's just not any fun for me.

I'm going to have to watch the major cutscenes online or something, but the story isn't really that enticing to me anyway.

It's a disappointment, but I read the reviews before I bought it. I knew it played like crap. I should have listened.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Nier is definitely the most must-play of their games(though I want to try Bullet Witch eventually...).

I thought it was passable back when the 360 didn't have many games on hand. You might be able to tolerate it if you could stand playing through Drakengard since it has a lot of the same design problems when it comes to combat (boring, repetitive, unfun boss fights with dumb, specific gimmicks). The story is weak, so that won't be what keeps you playing.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I DID IT! I DID IT! I BEAT THE FINAL BOSS!!!!!
    AHAHAHAAHAHAHHA!

Oh man, I totally didn't even think I would do it! I just came back from working out and it was 95 degrees, out, I was all sweaty and I hadn't showered, I hadn't played the game in over a week, and it's just been bugging me so I thought "Okay, I'll only try it 3 times a day, so I don't go too nuts"

And...I did it!!

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    So I read that Drakengard LP.

Well

That sure is a thing
    what the fuck even did i just read

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Where does one read this Drakengard LP?

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Where does one read this Drakengard LP?

Here

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    To get the prologues I need to spend another $30 on top of what I spent for the collector's edition?

God damnit, Squeenix.

• Options
    I'd wait.

wVEsyIc.png