Options

[Football/Soccer World Cup] I hope England lose and Steven Gerrard cries

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    My shiny, updated, not-from-December predictions:

A- Brazil 9, Croatia 4, Mexico 2, Cameroon 1
    B- Netherlands 7, Spain 6, Chile 4, Australia 0
    C- Cote d'Ivoire 5, Japan 5 (I somehow managed to get them tied to the point where FIFA would draw lots, but sure I'll predict the outcome of a coin flip, why not), Colombia 3, Greece 1
    D- Uruguay 7, Italy 6, England 4, Costa Rica 0
    E- France 7, Ecuador 5, Switzerland 4, Honduras 0
    F- Argentina 9, Bosnia/Herzegovina 4, Nigeria 2, Iran 1
    G- Germany 7, United States 5, Portugal 4, Ghana 0
    H- Belgium 5 (+3 differential), South Korea 5 (+1 differential), Algeria 4, Russia 1

ROUND OF 16
    Brazil over Spain
    Italy over Cote d'Ivoire
    Bosnia/Herzegovina over France
    Germany over South Korea
    Netherlands over Croatia
    Uruguay over Japan
    Argentina over Ecuador
    United States over Belgium

QUARTERS
    Italy over Brazil (oh yes I'm going there)
    Germany over Bosnia/Herzegovina
    Uruguay over Netherlands
    Argentina over United States

SEMIS
    Germany over Italy
    Argentina over Uruguay

FINAL
    Argentina 3, Germany 2

Brazil is a very sad panda at the end of this.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Somehow I managed to get Argentina winning as well.

LISTEN UP! Send me you email addresses so I can invite you to the bracket group I set up on ESPN. Please use your forum name for your bracket name.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    By any chance are we also running a Fantasy Football league on the official fantasy football?

The one here:
    http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Franck Ribery is out of the World Cup with a back injury.

BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27739174

Big loss for France, they barely got out of the qualifiers with him so god only knows how they're going to do in the cup now.

Plays into my prediction that Switzerland and Ecuador will get out of that group.

Muffinatron on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Bah, that sucks for Franck.

Switzerland are definitely placing first in that group now (they probably would have anyway) but I still think France will place second. Ecuador aren't exactly world beaters.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I managed to get Brazil over Uruguay without remembering how big that would be for Brazil

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Somehow I managed to get Argentina winning as well.

LISTEN UP! Send me you email addresses so I can invite you to the bracket group I set up on ESPN. Please use your forum name for your bracket name.

If we already have an ESPN bracket set up, will your bracket group use that one?

• Options
    @nusu As far as I know you can designate which one you use. So, yes? :)

Also, let's forget about the email thing, just follow this link:

http://games.espn.go.com/world-cup-bracket-predictor/en/group?groupID=35919&groupp=d2FuZw==&invitesource=email&inviteuser=MjcxMTUwMzI4A&ex_cid=invite-email-worldcupbp

Password: wang

@PantsB I've already sent you an invite.

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Bah, that sucks for Franck.

Switzerland are definitely placing first in that group now (they probably would have anyway) but I still think France will place second. Ecuador aren't exactly world beaters.

Ecuador didn't do too badly against England the other night, and that French midfield looks weak. I can't believe they didn't call up Nasri even if he is disruptive.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    I'm in the bracket. ESPN just had me create another bracket for the group, and I think I ended up just recreating my other bracket without thinking about it.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    My shiny, updated, not-from-December predictions:

FINAL
    Argentina 3, Germany 2

Brazil is a very sad panda at the end of this.

I've also got an Argentina-Germany final with Brazil as a sad sad panda, but I got there via a much different route than you did.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Which is the the top team who has lost least amount to players to injuries? Is it Holland?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Which is the the top team who has lost least amount to players to injuries? Is it Holland?

They lost van der vaart and van der wiel.

Germany are currently only without gundogan but reus looks like he may be out as well.

• Options
    How critical is Reus to the current German setup? Haven't seen much of their games in qualifying, I know their midfield is stuffed with talent either way, but was wondering how important he was to the side.

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Joined the bracket group thing. I'm picking a few underdogs here because I feel the weather and atmosphere will probably not be a big factor but since this isn't for money, I'm going to assume it will be as far as my bracket picks.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    shalmelo wrote: »
    How critical is Reus to the current German setup? Haven't seen much of their games in qualifying, I know their midfield is stuffed with talent either way, but was wondering how important he was to the side.

Khedira is probably the only player that's critical. Without Gundogan they don't have as many top quality defensive/central midfielders as they would otherwise, so Khedira is really the last player before that central midfield looks less than world-class.

Reus will be a miss, he's a very good player, but they have other players for his position (Podolski comes to mind).

I'm guessing if he's out they'll call up Kevin Volland (striker) from the reserve list.

I have Germany winning my bracket at the moment, but I'll need to keep an eye on these injuries leading up to the world cup.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    im glad im not the only one picking germeny and argentina in the final. Im so psyched for this to kick off next week.! USA, USA, USA
    \

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    thursday seemed like a long long time away a few months ago

seems longer now

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The system van Gaal picked for Holland didn't have a spot for vd Vaart & Sneijder, only one. vd Vaarts injury is a loss of quality, but it has also cemented both the system and the the frontline.

Do not expect shiny combination soccer out of the Netherlands this year though, we're 5-3-2 with only 3 offensive players (van Persie, Robben, Sneijder) and are basically hoping that the extra defender lowers the amount of goals against, while the individual quality of the 3 allstars scores enough goals to see us through.

The three practice matches have all had real sloppy buildup, with tons of defender to defender passes because they can't find an opening on the midfield.
    What is interesting is that after the total crash that was EC 2012 the Dutch seem to totally have accepted this 'fuck it, if it works it is good, even if it's ugly' mentality.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Been looking through my bracket and I'm tempted to make some changes.

Currently I have Argentina going out at the semis to Spain, setting up a Germany/Spain final.

I'm tempted to have them go out to Belgium at the quarters stage.

Argentina's defensive set-up isn't great. Their goalkeeper couldn't even get in the first team at Monaco against not even Croatia's number 1 goalkeeper (might even be their number 3 looking at their shirt numbers). They let in almost a goal a game during the qualifiers to not particularly stellar teams, Uruguay and Colombia aside.

I'm thinking as soon as they come up against a decent european team with a good balance between defence and attack they're going to ship more goals than they can score (even if they do have Messi).

Just thinking out loud here though.
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Do not expect shiny combination soccer out of the Netherlands this year though, we're 5-3-2 with only 3 offensive players (van Persie, Robben, Sneijder) and are basically hoping that the extra defender lowers the amount of goals against, while the individual quality of the 3 allstars scores enough goals to see us through.

Given the formation, I imagine Van der Wiel is a big loss for the Netherlands.

Do Van Persie and Huntelaar play up front together, or are they more likely to pair one with Kuyt?

Muffinatron on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Robben & van Persie play striker, Sneijder just behind them.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    I was almost hoping for the 'live odds' of the England match to include "match called off- 3/1" :)

• Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    BREAKING: JOSMER ALTIDORE HAS SCORED FOR THE USA.

Fabian and Bedoya setting the table nicely. Johnson especially has been solid all day.

Jurgen playing a Bedoya-Bradley-Jones-Beckerman midfield for this one.

OTP.jpg
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27751265

So Sony, one of the big sponsors of the Fifa World Cup are calling for an "appropriate investigation". Maybe this scandal rabbit hole runs just deeper enough its getting everyone involved with the world cup seriously worried.

• Options
    ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    So psyched that Jozy finally broke his drought - with a brace no less! Didn't catch much of the match though, to be honest. How'd the back line look? Obviously that penalty at the end was pretty bad/discouraging given similar type of play against Turkey, but was it tighter the rest of the way?

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    when I started watching our starting lineup D looked solid, It really helped that Beckerman was doing alot of that D work so bradley and jones could get forward.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Profs wrote: »
    So psyched that Jozy finally broke his drought - with a brace no less! Didn't catch much of the match though, to be honest. How'd the back line look? Obviously that penalty at the end was pretty bad/discouraging given similar type of play against Turkey, but was it tighter the rest of the way?

It was. Defense played pretty well in the first half, then Nigeria was kind of terrible for much of the second half so they weren't tested all that much until very late. Jozy's first goal was just a tap-in, but the second goal was a very nice individual effort with a laser finish. Nice to give him a little confidence going into the real matches.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    back line played great until chandler subbed in, then there were a few issues

but mostly playing jones beckerman and bradley together helped a lot

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    They need to leave Chandler in the US. Just go to the World Cup with 22, we would still be better off.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Where was I tonight?

DallasColorado.jpg

Not pictured: Ninty-five degree temperature at kickoff.

Also not pictZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Fanendo Adi is absurdly good.

I can't believe Portland got him on a free loan. The man deserves to be starting for his national team.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Just got back from tonight's game. Good lord I don't think I've ever seen more blatant "I'm going to lay down on the turf because I totally pulled a muscle to waste time since we're up in the second half." The ref finally started handing out cards for it after one of them walked over for a throw in, picked up the ball, set it down, and another guy walked over to throw instead. The 5 minutes of stoppage ended up being more like 10.

Most satisfying stoppage goal ever. Wish it was for a win instead of a tie, but man.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Where was I tonight?

Ha, nice. Same here. Glad May is over, apparently they can win again!

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So Argentina held a banner talking about the Falkland Islands before a match.

I wonder what FIFA will say. (They won't say shit).

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    things must be pretty shitty in argentina now if they're dragging up that distraction again

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Apparently there are 3 sponsors questioning Qatar now. Sony, Adidas, and Visa.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular

That thread was made in 2011.

mods pls

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Huh? It's still going.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

This discussion has been closed.