Options

[Football/Soccer World Cup] I hope England lose and Steven Gerrard cries

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Feeling pretty excited about Australia vs Netherlands tonight. I think it'll be a good game.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Oh god yes. So nice to have a world cup with a ball that behaves like somewhat like the ones the players are used to.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    The fact that there's so many wonderful crosses and headers now is fucking amazing. God, I love a well-placed cross into the box. Fuck Adidas, FIFA, and the goddamn Jabulani for the travesty that was that thing in 2010 that deprived us of them four years ago.

• Options
    ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    Strika wrote: »
    Just want to say, there are a lot of salty non-americans on these boards. We played poorly, and still beat a quality team in the WC. Pretty big steps.

To add on to this, I would be really surprised if we look as poor on the ball our next couple matches as we were in game 1. Not just looking at it with homer-colored glasses on, but we don't really play *that* way anymore. We definitely did 4 years ago quite often, but these days that performance isn't the norm, and I don't think it's just that we were playing against a quality opponent - I think a lot of it was just fluky, nerves, and the inevitable "hold-on" mentality that seizes a team when they desperately want to hold a lead and forget how to attack.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Bucho wrote: »
    Profs wrote: »
    That stat's a little deceptive though - sure, most of those long bombing shots are not going to need to be challenged, but if you concede enough of them, even if only one magically swerves into the top right corner, that's enough. I thought Mexico looked a bit more dangerous than that stat lets on.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, this ball is far superior to the 2010 one.

Makes Pirlo's free kick even more impressive.

• Options
    Just want to say, there are a lot of salty non-americans on these boards. We played poorly, and still beat a quality team in the WC. Pretty big steps.

It's only because we're jealous of all your freedom.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'd say this is the best ball in at least 2-3 world cups.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    We're at 40someodd goals scored so far through the first round of matches. 2010 had 89 scored in the entire length of the group stages. Keep it up, fellas.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular

Quality. *snicker* Have you seen Ghana at the ball? Not to mention every other African team besides Ivory Coast. Makes CONCACAF seem like world class.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not salty like Maz is. Congrats on a well-fought victory, especially after the last two times you lost, but don't think for a second that your next opponents will play as poor with the ball as Ghana did.

Maybe Howard will have a night like Ochoa though. Not as impossible as one might think, since neither Portugal nor Germany have a decent full-bred striker that isn't over 30. Although your fullbacks aren't too great either.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Chen wrote: »

Quality. *snicker* Have you seen Ghana at the ball? Not to mention every other African team besides Ivory Coast. Makes CONCACAF seem like world class.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not salty like Maz is. Congrats on a well-fought victory, especially after the last two times you lost, but don't think for a second that your next opponents will play as poor with the ball as Ghana did.

Maybe Howard will have a night like Ochoa though. Not as impossible as one might think, since neither Portugal nor Germany have a decent full-bred striker that isn't over 30. Although your fullbacks aren't too great either.

No you're absolutely right, Ghana is terrible. They definitely weren't a Suarez deliberate handball away from the semis last WC

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

No you're absolutely right, Ghana is terrible. They definitely weren't a Suarez deliberate handball away from the semis last WC

A team can't change in four years. Nope. Not at all. They're definitely one of the best teams at the WC. I mean, how many teams had 7-0 wins in qualifying?

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

A team can't change in four years. Nope. Not at all. They're definitely one of the best teams at the WC. I mean, how many teams had 7-0 wins in qualifying?

Saltier than a bag of pretzels

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

I was for America! I had alcohol riding on the game.

• Options

Beer goes good with pretzels though

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

I had it with a cheese burger while watching Brazil Mexico.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    To be fair, Uruguay was quite terrible last WC too. Forlan and Suarez basically carried the rest of the squad to the semis where The Netherlands still beat them comfortably. Forlan is out now and Suarez is struggling with his injury and look what happened. Beaten deservedly by Costa Rica.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Forgive me I am still in mourning for josmer's right hamstring

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    hippofant wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Can't do it from these Untied States.

Rats. For this soccer-n00b, the analysis was actually pretty interesting. Or maybe it was just the analyst's posh British accent that made me think so. Apparently, Mexico only put 2 of their 13 shots on goal.
    Also, I'm going to assume that it is similar to hockey where a shot on goal means if the keeper wasn't there it would have gone in. That being said, a close but slightly wide/high shot would not register as a shot on goal.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Can't do it from these Untied States.

Rats. For this soccer-n00b, the analysis was actually pretty interesting. Or maybe it was just the analyst's posh British accent that made me think so. Apparently, Mexico only put 2 of their 13 shots on goal.
    Also, I'm going to assume that it is similar to hockey where a shot on goal means if the keeper wasn't there it would have gone in. That being said, a close but slightly wide/high shot would not register as a shot on goal.

Yup. Hitting the post doesn't count as a shot on target.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Forgive me I am still in mourning for josmer's right hamstring

Its his left hamstring, thank you. Now forgive me while I go chug rubbing alcohol to help forget this atrocity.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    My phone didn't stop buzzing for a while after the Mexico game. I'll be in and out of the office so I'll just be looking at stats and numbers on my phone whenever I get a break. :(

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular

nothing goes well with pretzels

they're an abomination

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    815165 wrote: »

they're an abomination

Ah, victory goes GREAT with pretzels.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular

they're an abomination

Snack pretzels are an abomination.

Real german pretzels are awesome as a bread substitute in a sandwich.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I love that google brought us a return of Paul the Octopus.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    What!?!?!

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Those were some goals.

• Options
    VegemyteVegemyte Registered User regular
    Bloody hell Cahill!!

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Holy crap.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Not as easy as Spain, eh?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its not fair to the netherlands to play a team thats used to the water swirling in the other direction.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    fuck me

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    It would be the most Holland thing ever to thrash Spain and then find a way to lose to Australia.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Preacher wrote: »
    Its not fair to the netherlands to play a team thats used to the water swirling in the other direction.

Well Holland did send Robben to the left side of goal just to make Australia feel at home.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Wow.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    AUS should be ahead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cahill still playing like a right prick, I see.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Cahill still playing like a right prick, I see.
    Probably his last WC game now

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I've been too busy working this morning. I was kind of expecting Netherlands to have more goals by now. So, how have both teams been playing?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
This discussion has been closed.