As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you could only play one game the rest of your life...

13»

• Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Rock Band. Music is such a large part of who I am as a person that the ability it gives me to pretend I'm GOOD at music. Instead of just good at listening.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    After 20+ years of playing Tetris off and on, it's the only one I can think of (for me) that has had the staying power. I wonder how long some of you have actually played the games you're choosing.

Well, I got bored of Tetris within 15 minutes of first trying it. I've tried to get into it again over the past 15 years a couple of times, and it's always the exactly the same.

DF I've been playing some 5 years now, and Europa Universalis 3 for 4 years. Some of these suggestions though... I could not fathom playing them for a long time. Not enough random variation to keep it fresh, or fresh-ish.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I originally was like "that's easy - my favorite games like Ms Pac Man or Popeye or Tetris" but I then went back and realized it's a given that the game has to have some form of creative customization involved for it to be my only game forever. That's why I went with Sims or Rollercoaster Tycoon. You can certainly play for objectives and there is a ton of gameplay to be had, but more importantly you could spend weeks just making a theme park full of medieval stuff or try to make the park have the most vomit in history.

The Sims 3 would be a great one too because you could decide to try to make an introvert become a rock star or put a slovenly person in the same house as a neat person or just try to build the biggest house you can. It is such a flexible shell of a game you can really make of it what you want.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Don't do this. I opened this thread, saw a post I made and was baffled at not remembering posting that. Oh....in 2007. Fucking necromancers.

Tetris is the type of game I'd play (and do play) on a handheld (phone). The idea of RPGs and complex games on handhelds is kind of silly, because I just end up playing them at home. In what sort of situation where you would use a handheld would you ever decide to play such a complex game?

So, Tetris.....yes, I could "play it" for the rest of my life. But its a game I'd never play for more than 10-15 minutes at most. Its like solitaire on windows; a time waster.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Don't do this. I opened this thread, saw a post I made and was baffled at not remembering posting that. Oh....in 2007. Fucking necromancers.

Tetris is the type of game I'd play (and do play) on a handheld (phone). The idea of RPGs and complex games on handhelds is kind of silly, because I just end up playing them at home. In what sort of situation where you would use a handheld would you ever decide to play such a complex game?

So, Tetris.....yes, I could "play it" for the rest of my life. But its a game I'd never play for more than 10-15 minutes at most. Its like solitaire on windows; a time waster.

You should give Tetris DS a go, then. It's got a whole heap of single player content that will keep you entertained for more than 15 minutes a pop. Also, multiplayer mode is where tetris is the most fun, and it's got that "one more go" appeal that all the most addictive games have.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    After 20+ years of playing Tetris off and on, it's the only one I can think of (for me) that has had the staying power. I wonder how long some of you have actually played the games you're choosing.

Well, I got bored of Tetris within 15 minutes of first trying it. I've tried to get into it again over the past 15 years a couple of times, and it's always the exactly the same.

DF I've been playing some 5 years now, and Europa Universalis 3 for 4 years. Some of these suggestions though... I could not fathom playing them for a long time. Not enough random variation to keep it fresh, or fresh-ish.

The only way to get 100% random gameplay that you will never really learn the pattern of us to pick a game with deep, engaging multiplayer. Any computer algorithm will have a relatively easily identifiable pattern, and after playing that game for several years, you'd have figured out said pattern.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PasteePastee Registered User regular
    A.D.O.M.

• Options
    TheGingerTheGinger Registered User regular
    Oh god, been playing company of heroes + expansions + online for years, probably be plaing it for years to come.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

The only way to get 100% random gameplay that you will never really learn the pattern of us to pick a game with deep, engaging multiplayer. Any computer algorithm will have a relatively easily identifiable pattern, and after playing that game for several years, you'd have figured out said pattern.

Well, yeah. The trick is to not pay too much attention to how things work. For me the problem is that I hate playing multiplayer online most of the time, although there's nothing preventing MP of EU3.

We're assuming here there'll always be other people to play with you as well.

• Options
    edited March 2012

Well, yeah. The trick is to not pay too much attention to how things work. For me the problem is that I hate playing multiplayer online most of the time, although there's nothing preventing MP of EU3.

We're assuming here there'll always be other people to play with you as well.

Well, we're making a lot of silly assumptions in this thread, like somehow you lost all capability to play any game but the one you choose...I don't think making another assumption leap that MP is still available for said game is really out of bounds for a thread predicated on a silly assumption.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Not really. You can seed certain elements of your randomizer with types of input that would be unnoticeable to the end user, such as time upon start up, number of cycles between button presses, etc. There are plenty of ways to achieve randomization that is undetectable to the average user, even among a lifetime of inspection.

EDIT: SEED, not see.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options

Not really. You can see certain elements of your randomizer with types of input that would be unnoticeable to the end user, such as time upon start up, number of cycles between button presses, etc. There are plenty of ways to achieve randomization that is undetectable to the average user, even among a lifetime of inspection.

Not really. Humans are pattern matching creatures, it's ingrained in our minds to match patterns. In computer science, random numbers are not random at all, they are semi-random sequences with a pattern. Remember, we are going to be playing this game for life. For a lot of us, that will be 50+ years.

• Options

Not really. You can see certain elements of your randomizer with types of input that would be unnoticeable to the end user, such as time upon start up, number of cycles between button presses, etc. There are plenty of ways to achieve randomization that is undetectable to the average user, even among a lifetime of inspection.

Not really. Humans are pattern matching creatures, it's ingrained in our minds to match patterns. In computer science, random numbers are not random at all, they are semi-random sequences with a pattern. Remember, we are going to be playing this game for life. For a lot of us, that will be 50+ years.

Not me. I plan on picking Bubsy 3d and dying within a year from the side effects.

• Options

I know how randomization works. You seed your randomizer with an input, usually the time upon which the program starts.

You can continuously reseed your randomization, AFTER start-up using examples I provided above, to keep the pattern from being recognizable. In fact, thats how certain games, like tetris, keep their drop patterns random - the randomizer gets reseeded every X number of seconds using Y number, where X is a number determined by time from title screen to game start, and Y is number of user inputs between randomization cycles.

Thats why TAS speedruns of such games usually have the player doing a shitload of seemingly useless spins at startup. They're attempting to, frame by frame, artificially seed the game.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You should give Tetris DS a go, then. It's got a whole heap of single player content that will keep you entertained for more than 15 minutes a pop. Also, multiplayer mode is where tetris is the most fun, and it's got that "one more go" appeal that all the most addictive games have.

I've tried tetris spinoffs before, or is that the original game with addons?. I have Wordtris on SNES and GB and Tetris 2 (!?) on GB. They aren't bad, but have always given me an uncomfortable feel while playing them. Best described as "why am I playing this, don't I have something better to do?". They don't compare with the original. I will admit to never playing the game multiplayer though.

Also, on the subject of randomization, player opponents are rarely random. Generally, they are actually very predictable.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options

I've tried tetris spinoffs before, or is that the original game with addons?. I have Wordtris on SNES and GB and Tetris 2 (!?) on GB. They aren't bad, but have always given me an uncomfortable feel while playing them. Best described as "why am I playing this, don't I have something better to do?". They don't compare with the original. I will admit to never playing the game multiplayer though.

Also, on the subject of randomization, player opponents are rarely random. Generally, they are actually very predictable.

It's the original version, with a bunch of nintendo related variations of the game. My favorite variation is the one where you have a set number of moves to clear a goal.

As for player opposition - predictability is a conscious design decision. When you make enemy AI too unpredictable, it can become frustrating. You don't want your opponent to consistently out-think the player, but rather give the illusion that they can. There are plenty of examples where breaking down the steps for randomization are not apparent. Going back to the example I keep using - you can not tell me that the way blocks drop in tetris will ever be obvious unless you are stepping through the game frame by frame.

• Options
    TrystenTrysten Registered User regular
    Starcraft II or Tetris.

Easily the biggest time sinks I have ever encountered.

QZ7MPEE7FX.jpg
  • Options
    While I loved the aesthetic of Tetris DS, I'd have to go with the original Gameboy version just due to the infinite spin you can do in the newer versions - I find the originals much more fun to play.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Hahaha at all the spores at the start of this thread.
    Best necro ever.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Basically any linear or simply branching single player experience is kind of a dumb answer.

I mean, mass effect? I can see someone playing through a mass effect game maybe 6 times tops to get through most of the different branches. Infinite replayability is another kettle of fish.

So you go with a single player experience with a lifetime of depth (I can see someone playing through every possible faction in a paradox grand strategy for example), or an infinite high score game (like asteroids) or a multiplayer game with an extremely high skill ceiling (starcraft counterstrike dota kof)

Personally I'd go with starcraft 2.

• Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    Sword Of the Stars would be my choice. Or Lords Of Winter, once it's been patched to release grade (Which it will be within 2 months, as they are only 2 patches away from feature completion, from the forum scuttlebutt I've been reading over on KP forums).

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
This discussion has been closed.