As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NBC's [Hannibal]: "I believe that is called a mike drop."

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    She's definitely very much inspired by Foster's Starling. It's Fuller's remix approach that makes me wonder how else he could remix the material.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    It's a little frustrating that the show is ending sooner than expected, as it means various characters don't have an ending.
    Miriam was already mentioned, but also Japanese lady and Scully. Sure, stuff might happen with them before the end of the season, but it doesn't seem like it will.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I have it on good authority that during this season we'll at least get more with
    Bedelia. At least more of the backstory behind why her patient attacked her. (This helps to explain why Zachary Quinto was in episode 1 for like 5 seconds as the patient.)

Chiyoh's story, I think, is pretty much done. She probably would have come back several seasons from now, after Hannibal escaped again during the Silence arc (assuming that would have still happened), but I think with Hannibal behind bars she has no reason to be a part of his narrative anymore. She protected him for Mischa's sake, he's safe now, the end. She's free now to go live her life.

Miriam I'd be interested to see a coda. Hopefully the show will check in on her before the end of the season.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, and also
    Dr. Abel Gideon. He shows up in the first two episodes of S3 for no reason that we know of (yet/ever). I guess he could make an appearance as he's in America. Or has he died and I have forgotten where?

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Oh, and also
    Dr. Abel Gideon. He shows up in the first two episodes of S3 for no reason that we know of (yet/ever). I guess he could make an appearance as he's in America. Or has he died and I have forgotten where?
    Well, he's in flashbacks in the beginning of the season to set up some thematic stuff (a lot of which came to pass in the Verger conclusion to the first half of the season).

There's the potential for him to return in more flashbacks later (I think Bryan Fuller tweeted at one point that Gideon still has a limb left to go)...

But he did, in fact, die at the midpoint of season 2, when Hannibal uses Gideon's dying body to frame Chilton for the murders that Hannibal committed (and that Will at the time was in prison under suspicion of committing) in order to get Will out of jail.
    Gideon is limbless and hooked up to an IV and heart monitor in Chilton's house, and actually dies right as Chilton finds him.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Ohh, yeah, I remember now. I guess I'm just too used to not thinking of characters as dead.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Man this show is really hitting its stride again here at the end of its life. It's a shame the world is losing it.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    A grrrreat, rrrred, drrraaaagon

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Absolutely no contest for the line of the week this episode.

And man, what a great episode. The woman clothed in sun, the tiger, Quintos, and...
    The image of Dolarhyde eating his inspiration is as haunting and surreal as it is in the novel; at the same time, it's massively representational of the whole show, where power and art and consumption are all bound up within one another, and even on a meta level, where Fuller and his team have ingested their existing inspirations, these novels and films, masticated thoroughly, and made of them something new.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Yeah I think the last several episodes - the conclusion of the Hannibal arc and the Red Dragon arc - have been excellent and seen the show kind of pull back from the self-indulgence a bit. Not that I really hated the surreal cinematography and obtuse character focus of the beginning of the season, but it was a little harder to enjoy so much as admire.

Armitage has been great - though surprisingly (for this show) more or less following in the footsteps of the cinematic portrayal. His performance is basically in line with Ralph Fiennes. Which isn't a problem - Fiennes was the best part of Red Dragon.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    I like Armitage as a scary man, but I'm kinda struggling to see his vulnerability, or what Reba sees (hurr) in him. He comes across as all rage all the time.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Dolarhyde did take her on a Grrreat date.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    What a phenomenal, tense, painful episode. The show is almost over but it's delivering one great hour after another. I'm so excited to see where this goes next--we're nearly into uncharted territory, given the reshuffling of the novel this week. How is this all going to play out?
    This was also a great episode for people speculating on Hannibal's motivations, and they're probably all right, but the reveal at the end that Hannibal believes that, like himself, Will is imprisoned, and sent the Red Dragon after his family to set him free was just chilling. Perhaps all the more so because Hannibal may have let go of the idea that Will is as dark as Hannibal used to believe him to be. That was a very subtle shift in their relationship that I didn't realize had happened; but it appears that, even though Hannibal recognizes he can no longer manipulate Will towards that original goal, he can still look out for his friend...

Also, Armitage is knocking it out of the fucking park this week.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Molly is awesome

dat determined face <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I spoiled myself on a couple points from the book, but it looks like they are deviating from it so that should be ok.

One thing from the book that I do absolutely hope they keep in:
    They have to have reintroduced Freddie for that one particular reason, right? They wouldn't keep dropping hints about her article on Will if they were going to not stick with her character's part of the story, right? I'm incredibly looking forward to it and it would suck if after all this they never did it.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I think they're just being cute about it
    like the way Hannibal joked about personal ads and toilet paper messages - that was how the Dragon contacted him in the book and movies.

The TV show has already used Freddie's death, Will put that fake body in a flaming wheelchair to fool Hannibal. It'd be kinda weird to repeat it now, y'know?

Ed; that's also why I think they're gonna deviate on how they catch him
    In the books it's cause of the home movie service each family used, that was the link. That's not a thing nowadays, and they've already alluded to 'the social media' and such being an alternative... But they already used the 'killer picks victims via a public service' thing in season 1, with the diabetic mushroom guy.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I think they're just being cute about it
    like the way Hannibal joked about personal ads and toilet paper messages - that was how the Dragon contacted him in the book and movies.

The TV show has already used Freddie's death, Will put that fake body in a flaming wheelchair to fool Hannibal. It'd be kinda weird to repeat it now, y'know?
    Not that I think that's what they'll do, but it could work as a sort of fan's love letter to the master himself, like Dolarhyde doing elaborate Hannibal cosplay, so to speak.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    No comments on the most recent episode?

I haven't watched it yet; I'm just about to watch the tenth episode of the season. Nevertheless, while it might just be knowing that the series is coming to a probable end, I'm okay with it. I'm greatly enjoying these, but I also feel like they're at a good point to end the Will-Hannibal relationship.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Good Lord, based on this most recent episode, had the show actually continued beyond S3 (recent episode and Red Dragon book/films spoilers)...
    Chilton would probably be reduced to a (still living) deformed head in a jar by about S5 or S6. Fuller loves to torture but keep alive the poor bastard (I know that his fate here was taken directly from Freddie Lounds' fate in the book/movies, but still, how much can you put one fellow through?)

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    The lips and the "you are not my nemesis" scenes with Hannibal were pretty good.

• Options
    Good Lord, based on this most recent episode, had the show actually continued beyond S3 (recent episode and Red Dragon book/films spoilers)...
    Chilton would probably be reduced to a (still living) deformed head in a jar by about S5 or S6. Fuller loves to torture but keep alive the poor bastard (I know that his fate here was taken directly from Freddie Lounds' fate in the book/movies, but still, how much can you put one fellow through?)

Frederick Chilton? More like
    Friedwreck Charredton

• Options
    Chilton is
    an unkillable supergod. If he wasn't such an asshole this whole show could have been about him punching all the bad guys to death.

Another phenomenal episode.
    As the show nears the end of its run, it starts being a lot more open about its themes and symbols--Jack calls Hannibal the devil, Will asks if Hannibal is in love with him (and the answer is, "Duh, but are you love in with him?")

Also fascinating is that, in this episode, the real tie-in between this Red Dragon episode and the rest of the show makes itself apparent--that this is basically the final push that brings Will over to Hannibal's side of things. On Lector's behalf, Will essentially throws Chilton to the Dragon--and out of multiple motivations, in a way we haven't seen from Will since he was trying to fool Hannibal in the back half of season 2. Partly he was hoping it would shake something loose for the investigation, partly it was "better Chilton than me", and partly he was... just curious. As Will put it at the end of this season's first arc, he doesn't have Hannibal's appetite, but he is at this point willing and able to be just as murderously manipulative as Lector for his own ends. The question for me in the next episode is, will Will be able to pull back from this edge and regain his better self? Or is he doomed to

Also, and this is definitely speculation for the next episode:
    When Chilton talked to Hannibal, he rolled up the journal he was ranting about and poked it into Hannibal's cell--which violates the classic rules about not giving Hannibal anything with staples in it. (Just like in Silence of the Lambs.) If I had to guess where this series was going to end, I think Hannibal might use that to escape... meaning Will will never be free of him.

I'm sad that this show is ending, but I'm also super excited to see how all of this plays out in the finale.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Speculation
    God, if this season ends with Hannibal escaping that will be the worst thing ever. There'd be no point to any of it.

I guess it does take place in a serial-killer infested alternate dimension though, so boring, obvious and bleak endings would make sense.

One thing I don't understand, though:
    Why is Will talking to Bedelia at all, much less in a professional capacity? He knows what she's done, talking to her is basically just like talking to Hannibal himself. Or is that the point and he's just an idiot who isn't even trying to avoid this stupid plan that Hannibal has for him?

• Options
    FantastikaFantastika Betting That The Levee Will HoldRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Chilton is
    an unkillable supergod. If he wasn't such an asshole this whole show could have been about him punching all the bad guys to death.

It's the smarm. It's gotta be the source of his powers.
    My hope is he comes back in a mecha suit in whatever they do next.
    I actually think Chilton might be my favorite character in the entire show and I found the contrast between him and Alana in this episode pretty interesting.
    Seal wrote: »
    The lips and the "you are not my nemesis" scenes with Hannibal were pretty good.

I can't remember but was that nemesis scene the first time we see Hannibal legitimately laugh in the entire series?

Fantastika on
  • Options
    Well, that was quite the finale. I think it works better as a series finale than a season finale. I mean based on that ending, I have almost no idea what they would do next season, if there was a next season. I don't want to spoil anything for everyone but the last 20-30 minutes functions as an almost note-perfect capper to the Hannibal-Will relationship. I don't know if I want to see more from them.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Fantastika wrote: »
    Well, that was quite the finale. I think it works better as a series finale than a season finale. I mean based on that ending, I have almost no idea what they would do next season, if there was a next season. I don't want to spoil anything for everyone but the last 20-30 minutes functions as an almost note-perfect capper to the Hannibal-Will relationship. I don't know if I want to see more from them.

You must be in Canada!

It doesn't air state-side until tomorrow night :(

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    DraculaDracula DARCUL DAS WAMPY Registered User regular

Agree 100%. I particularly like that the last line in the show was (minor spoiler)
    "It was beautiful"

It was so good that I'm irritated with the (MAJOR SPOILERS)
    post-credits thing with Bedelia. Like, no. They need to have died together there on that cliff's edge.

I'm just going to pretend that was her either losing her mind or a visual representation of her living the rest of her life in fear--assuming they never find the bodies.

• Options
    Or Bedelia was
    in the house with Hannibal and Will.

• Options
    Or Bedelia was
    in the house with Hannibal and Will.
    Boy is her face gonna be red when she finds out Hannibal and Will are probably dead and she cut off her leg for nothing.

After thinking about it for a couple days, I think I might know what they would do for next season, if they did one. Fuller talked about adapting something from the books that hadn't been done before and it would be radically different and all that jazz. I think it probably would've been an adaptation of the end of Hannibal when Clarice and Hannibal go on their worldwide magical murder tour but with Will subbed in for Clarice. Could've been interesting. Maybe you cross-cut it with Jack and a Clarice stand-in doing a Silence of the Lambs type story in the States.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Radically different also includes
    Buffalo Chilton, which I assume is what they were implying they'd do what with the whole elongated discussion of him wearing another person's skin and Alana telling him "you've never felt comfortable in your own skin, what makes you think you would in someone else's"

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Dracula wrote: »

Agree 100%. I particularly like that the last line in the show was (minor spoiler)
    "It was beautiful"

It was so good that I'm irritated with the (MAJOR SPOILERS)
    post-credits thing with Bedelia. Like, no. They need to have died together there on that cliff's edge.

I'm just going to pretend that was her either losing her mind or a visual representation of her living the rest of her life in fear--assuming they never find the bodies.
    Nah, that's not at all what's going on there.

Will tells four people he's going to stage a fake escape with Hannibal and then kill Hannibal: Alana, Bedelia, Jack, and Hannibal. All four basically assume there's a strong chance that Hannibal will escape in earnest. Jack's response, as always, is to assume everything will go according to plan and then be all grim when it doesn't. Hannibal's response (as it often is) is to strategically allow the plan to continue. Alana's response to the prospect of Hannibal escaping is to flee with her family.

Bedelia's response to the prospect of Hannibal escaping is to set the table for him.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Radically different also includes
    Buffalo Chilton, which I assume is what they were implying they'd do what with the whole elongated discussion of him wearing another person's skin and Alana telling him "you've never felt comfortable in your own skin, what makes you think you would in someone else's"
    I'm trying to imagine what Buffalo Chilton would be like and it just feels wrong for that story. It seems like it would make the story really shallow and would get really tedious fast. I think Chilton might work better in the Hannibal role for any Silence of the Lambs type adaptation. Make him Raspail's therapist prior to Hannibal and go from there.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    My (possibly completely wrong) interpretation of the final scene when I saw it, especially considering this is most likely the end of the series
    was Bedelia had basically had lost her mind at the prospect of Hannibal out and had prepared a suitable dinner for his possible arrival, rather than Hannibal was actually there and cooked her leg.

Edit: Sepinwall has a Brian Fuller interview about the finale, where they talk about, among a lot of other things, the final scene.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Post-Hannibal interviews coming out
    http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/29/hannibal-finale-hugh-dancy-postmortem-interview

Hugh Dancy with EW highlights:
    Going off the cliff was Will realizing not only had what Hannibal said would happen all along happened at last, but that it was just as amazing as Hannibal said it was
    The last scene he and Mads filmed together ended with him gesturing to the orderly who then put the iconic mask on straightjacketed Hannibal
    His fav scene of the show was the season 2 finale kitchen scene
    He compared the cliff ending with Sherlock/Moriarty, and said ultimately nothing can kill Sherlock because he's more myth than mortal, and said Hannibal's become that way, so if this is the end and there's nothing left, he hopes they both live and are chilling together brostyle on a beach drinking something from a coconut or skull

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/hannibal-creator-i-wanted-to-be-sure-we-had-an-ending-for-the-story/single-page

Bryan Fuller with HitFix highlights:
    About halfway through the season is when he came up with the ending. Another case of ending a season like it's a series finale with it being able to pick right back up if it's not. Wanted to be sure they had an ending if it was the end, and able to continue it if it wasn't. Already ideas (or at least an idea) of how to continue it if season 4 or a feature happens. "In my mind the most interesting chapter of Will Graham's story has yet to be told"
    Once the decision of cancellation was made, he was at peace with it, Admitted they had a lot of privilege just being able to make it this far with their ratings. Acknowledged NBC bent over backwards to help it last as long as it did
    De Laurentiis looking at a feature film. Also says a miniseries could work considering how drastic of a restart where they wanted to go from here was, would love a feature film though as a full circle type thing (Hannibal started on the big screen, end Fuller's version of it on the big screen too)
    Admits the odds of a feature aren't in his favor, but says now it's on the audience. Ff they're able to do it, but the audience response seems mostly like "this is an ending we love", they won't go further; if they want it continued he'll try his best
    There were takes done of Will/Hannibal making out during the embrace, he decided that wasn't authentic to who they were and didn't put it in the last cut
    End with bedelia was a nod that perhaps hannibal lived, hence why Bedelia has the fork close to her hidden under the table: whatever and whoever comes, she's ready. He loved the interpretation some had that she was serving it as a gift/peace offering though (That's where the end of Siouxsie's song came from: "I will survive" was meant for Bedelia. you have my leg, but i have my fork, and if i'm going down i'm swinging)
    S&P didn't give him too hard a time over the lip biting scene, just asked him to cut it twice
    Acknowledges Alana had the only really happy ending in that she got the fuck out of dodge with her family when able and that they're going to be bodyguarded. also acknowledges "we're gonna do something horrible to [Chilton's actor] Raul Esparza every season and the hope is you really dig it", compared how he treats Chilton to how South Park treats Kenny
    Caroline came up with kaleidoscope lesbian sex scene
    "What can you do to a body to twist it and break it in such a manner that it resembles a smaller piece of the body?" then they came up with the heart which became the tarot card of heart with 3 swords WHICH THEN BECAME FRANKENSTAG *RUPAUL PLAYS*
    Only thing he wishes he could have done was show where Hannibal/Will go from here being murder husbands who live
    In his opinion Mads was the best hannibal (though not the most commercial)

• Options
    Hannibal The Wrath of the Lamb
    I guess Isaac makes a cameo?
    What. What. That shotgun bit is amazing. Just, what. That took guts. I was going to say "oh, that's the shotgun" when I first saw the shotgun but the show then said, "oh you thought it was that shotgun? You're sadly mistaken."
    Go on, say it, "you saved people's lives." Yesss. I just love that bit.
    "suicide" "then he wasn't as strong as the Dragon after all" That is a nice picture of how Hannibal sees things. I think Will touching the window is the first time someone has touched the window at all. Hannibal's losing, which means he is going to do something dramatic.
    Oh ho ho! Wonderful! So we saw the 'death' of Dollarhyde through Reba's "eyes".
    This conversation between Jack and Will is so good, and all of Will's manipulations.
    I'm still wondering what is up with Bedelia.
    Everyone's telling everyone that they're going to use Hannibal as bait. Word's going to get out, and not in a good way.
    "I believe that's what they call, 'a mike drop'" lol Hannibal's clutching at straws, but so is Will.
    Dis is cool. Pew pew pew. (thinking about it, how the fuck is Dollarhyde that good of a shot? But whatever, so cool!)
    Miriam isn't dead. So Will's got that going for him.
    Very bromancy, what with the wining and dining.
    I guess that was the window breaking reference. Nicely done.
    Eww. gross. double gross! Triple gross! How many times can a knife be pulled out and stabbed into someone else who then pulls it out and stabs it into someone else.
    Awesome fight!
    Noice!

I dunno, I could be pretty happy with the series continuing. If that was the last shot of a long series, then it'd be great, but there's plenty left unsaid. But it's probably better to finish there.
    No idea what was going on with Bedelia. I guess she really loved Hannibal and prepared a long pig meal in the hopes that he'd show up? And his absence means that she is pondering suicide? Dunno.
    Reading that post-finale interview
    I don't get how Will attacking Dollarhyde was any more of a turn than Will doing his other killings. I guess it's his 2nd direct kill, but I'd count all the others where he manipulates people into being hurt or hurting others as his kills too. The difference is that he's doing it with Hannibal, although I feel like they have collaborated before? Obviously not as directly.

I would totally have bought Will and Hannibal making out as authentic. But, it might have been a little over the top, they were all but making out as is, so it would have felt a little too blunt to actually have it happen. Maybe.

Ohh, she cut off her own leg and served it as a peace offering. And the fork is for defence.

• Options
    Fuller points out that there are three place settings at Bedelia's table. I think Hannibal and Will survived and went to carve her up together; season four would have taken cues from the end of the book Hannibal going forward: Will and Hannibal as murder husbands out in the world.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    In response to Astaereth (but a mere musing, not a spoiler): this may change on reviewing the series, but at least in what we've seen I prefer Will and Hannibal as conflicted, attracted antagonists to the two of them as a screwy murder couple, with Will having given in to Satan/Hannibal's temptation. Not sure I'd want to see a continuation focused on the latter. (Who am I kidding? Of course I'd watch it!)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    I don't get how Will attacking Dollarhyde was any more of a turn than Will doing his other killings. I guess it's his 2nd direct kill, but I'd count all the others where he manipulates people into being hurt or hurting others as his kills too. The difference is that he's doing it with Hannibal, although I feel like they have collaborated before? Obviously not as directly.

I would totally have bought Will and Hannibal making out as authentic. But, it might have been a little over the top, they were all but making out as is, so it would have felt a little too blunt to actually have it happen. Maybe.

Ohh, she cut off her own leg and served it as a peace offering. And the fork is for defence.

Well, this time, Will did pretty much
    sacrificed those police officers in order to orchestrate that confrontation.

• Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    All I want to know is where I can get Dolarhyde's sweet, sweet murder jacket.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    In response to Astaereth (but a mere musing, not a spoiler): this may change on reviewing the series, but at least in what we've seen I prefer Will and Hannibal as conflicted, attracted antagonists to the two of them as a screwy murder couple, with Will having given in to Satan/Hannibal's temptation. Not sure I'd want to see a continuation focused on the latter. (Who am I kidding? Of course I'd watch it!)
    I think they'd still be conflicted antagonists, just on the other side of that line. That last scene shows that Will now sees the truth, that he really does enjoy killing; that Hannibal was right about him all along. But his response is to try and kill them both, so even if he's discovered this emotional truth, he's still intellectually going, "I don't want to be this person."

So I find it likely that a future season/movie with Will and Hannibal gallivanting around would still involve Will trying to stop or hold back, and Hannibal unsure whether to trust/eat Will.

Well, this time, Will did pretty much
    sacrificed those police officers in order to orchestrate that confrontation.
    Nah, that was the Dragon getting ahead of schedule. I sincerely doubt Will planned on being in a car crash; he probably meant to actually escape during the fake escape without killing any of the cops.

ACsTqqK.jpg