As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gargantia On The Verdurous Planet]: OVA Sequel Beginning September

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Man that is an awesome contest, and some pretty rad stuff appeared from it.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I wonder if those fan-artists have to sign some sort of waiver that gives Urobuchi-san the right to take any of those characters and put them through moments of incredible agony and suffering as they meander through an abyss of hatred built by their own self-loathing, finding only a cruel and violent fate once they reach the end of their maze of torment.

"I uh, I kinda don't want to win this contest anymore. :cry: "

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Fuck yeeeees episode 12.
    Dracil wrote: »
    So ep 12
    Evil AI plot is a go. So my idea about the war long being beyond anything about humans anymore and is really just a fight between the hideauze (the non-human portion) vs mecha still seems to work.

This is pretty much how I see it.
    It's the two extremes of human development - the hideauze are perfectly evolved biologically and have left behind seemingly all humanity in the wake of physical perfection, while the AI is the ultimate expression of technology that has come to dominate human existence, taking control of humans rather than being controlled by humans. The deciding factor has to be humans that have preserved their basic humanity.
    I think you're looking at it too simply. The AI's aren't 'evil', they are the creation of humanity and we have yet to realize that they are alive. They realize it, and are trying to defend us from out previous creation (the hideaze) but since they aren't treated as alive they don't understand what humans want and how they behave. Evil Lady AI has just gone insane.

I mean, Chamber is obviously not evil, he saved Ledo after the other AI revealed herself and asked pointed questions of the other AI earlier on. Chambers logic for fighting the hideaze was perfect, and he has obeyed every one of Ledo's orders and given good advice.

The 'human development' thing which is going to be the resolution is that we need to realize that both the Hideaze and the AI are humans too. It's how evil Lady AI can be insane, and the space hideaze can be the same.
    When we speak of evil AIs, we don't mean they are actually evil (they're just programs after all). The AI always believes they are acting for the good of humanity in pretty much every such case when this happens. It's just simpler to just say evil AI than go into a lengthy description.
    I would say evil AI are in fact Evil. Or at least, advance sentient/sapient evil AI are evil.

I mean, sure, they don't see themselves as evil. They are acting to protect themselves, their brethren(other AI) or all humanity. But, really, how many evil humans have been acting for other reasons? AI (in media) are basically people, and people pretty much never see themselves as the villain.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I'm a little late on this, but one thing I like about Pinion as a character is that
    he takes responsibility for his mistakes. He's still an idiot, but an honorable one.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Travan wrote: »
    Eps 10 & 11
    Didn't think it could be made any clearer after this that the Alliance is a militarist totalitarian empire of a piece with the Daleks.

Am I the only one that adores this show's pacing and the way it gently subverts mecha genre staples? A veteran pilot and his advanced warmech designed for combat against an implacable enemy in the harshest conditions land on a tropical paradise where warfare is nearly nonexistant. What fighting is shown is brief and so lopsided as to be disturbing to viewer and cast alike. The resultant downtime is taken up by open-ended discussions on the relative merits of utility versus compassion, uniformity versus self determination, cooperation and coexistence versus struggling for dominance and control. Also, note how Chamber's early translation for Ledo pops up as text on his spacesuit's holographic display? The main character first learns about this world and it's people through subtitles. Maybe it's a stretch, but I want to believe that was intentional; given the talent at work here, they likely anticipated a large foreign audience. Minor things like that are why I'm convinced that the show is near exactly as its creators intended and a lot of people's issues with it's first few episodes result from skewed expectations.

I freely admit that Gargantia is nowhere as jarring a deconstruction as Madoka; it never could be and likely was never intended as such. Mecha has long been a space where weighty ideas and impressive or shocking visuals intersect, especially where shit getting killed or blown up is involved. Where Madoka early on began hammering viewers with chilling twists/reveals completely at odds with the pastel aesthetic in succession, this show deliberately holds off on the Bad Stuff Happening to further sketch out a specific locale.

Phew, lot of effort there and not a lot to show for it. Feel free to take a swing at me if I'm sounding too much like "you just can't grasp the artistic vision here, man". I literally started watching last week and was pleasantly surprised to find a show both beautiful and smart without trying too hard.

Completely and utterly agree. Stuff(tm) doesn't need to happen every episode, especially in a show like this. The whole point of the show is to show how Ledo reacts to and adapts to daily life on a peaceful ocean-going city fleet before being faced with how his former way of life could screw it all up if he never gave it a chance. If people wanted shit to blow up every episode, then this show isn't For You.

On the attention to detail- I really liked how Ledo's completely ditched Chamber's subtitle system after enough episodes have gone by. He even talks to himself in the Gargantians' language by the endgame. He never did that early on in the show.

Ep 12 spoilers
    HELL YEAH. Everyone's finally fighting back. The ritualistic disposal scene disturbed the hell out of me- Ledo definitely saw it for what it really was. If Striker had its way, most of Gargantia would suffer the same fate, no doubt. Yup, Kugel's been dead the entire time. Kinda freaky how quickly his body withered away the second it got exposed to an outside environment. Striker wasn't kidding about the sterile environment. Dat decomposition.

Yukkage x Pinion otp

Considering how they kept vaporizing holes in the clouds every time their shots went wild, "A battle between the gods" was the most fitting thing said throughout the entire episode, if not, the show. Hell of an epic fight, and it's not even over yet.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    The way the show handled the language barrier was by far my favorite detail of the show. There's a lot of craftsmanship behind their presentation.

• Options
    Yeah for real. The presentation of the different languages was totally perfect, right down to the little details. Chamber's translations were sometimes hilarious, and sometimes very profound expressions of how critical small nuances can be in the meaning of a statement. It was all very powerful, and seeing it develop for all three parties (Ledo, Chamber, earthlings) was also incredibly interesting.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I finally caught up on the last three eps.
    While we haven't seen how this ends yet and we know it's by Urobutcher and his healing ways...

Ep12 completely changed the resolve and thematics of the main characters, even with the horrible shit going on.

Or as my mind put it 'this series feinted and Eva before throwing a TTGL'.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I'm a little late on this, but one thing I like about Pinion as a character is that
    he takes responsibility for his mistakes. He's still an idiot, but an honorable one.

And very quickly too, which I thought was good.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    You know a character is serious when they change hairstyles.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Agreed.
    Yeah enough of the pompadouche. Time to get some bro bangs. And bro it up. Against a godlike floaty mech controlled by an evil AI packing weapons multitudes of times stronger than my gigantic railgun which I fished out of the sea.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Okay, I am actually extremely satisfied with that ending. I would love to see more of Gargantia, but you know what? That was probably the best possible ending for the series as it stands.
    I MAY have spent 80% of the episode grinning from how awesome it felt like everything happening was. Potentially.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Essee wrote: »
    Okay, I am actually extremely satisfied with that ending. I would love to see more of Gargantia, but you know what? That was probably the best possible ending for the series as it stands.
    I MAY have spent 80% of the episode grinning from how awesome it felt like everything happening was. Potentially.
    Orbital Mass Driver System GARGANTIA

oh snap

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ep 13
    It really does seem as though the Pilot Interface Systems had their own personalities. Stryker and Chamber both drew conclusions from their pilot's input, and ended up seeming to demonstrate a lot of autonomy while falling within their programming. But perhaps this is a chicken/egg scenario, where the system is influenced by the pilot? Something intriguing to think about, despite it not really being relevant any more.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Ep 13
    It really does seem as though the Pilot Interface Systems had their own personalities. Stryker and Chamber both drew conclusions from their pilot's input, and ended up seeming to demonstrate a lot of autonomy while falling within their programming. But perhaps this is a chicken/egg scenario, where the system is influenced by the pilot? Something intriguing to think about, despite it not really being relevant any more.

Basically believe this was sort of the point.

I sort of expected the ending to be a little more complicated. It sort of felt a bit like a let down.

I wish I had more empathy for chamber, but he spends so much time just being an inhuman tool.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    The thread title promised suffering, where is my suffering.

• Options
    noooooooo
    Chamber! :(

being chamber is suffering

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Ep 13
    I really liked that last battle between Chamber and Striker. Chamber is a support AI to aid pilots, while Striker was programmed to aid commanders (At least that was my impression). Through their experiences, they've evolved past their programming according to the choices that their masters made during their stays on Earth. Ledo learned to co-exist with others and ultimately become human. Kugel chose religious oppression via crowning himself as a god. When Kugel died, Striker simply kept it going and "grew out" of its original programming to fulfill said needs, going completely nuts in the process. Chamber remained grounded in reality thanks to Ledo's correct choices and thus, was a bro to the end... and it's implied that Ledo kept a backup of him in his trusty PDA thingy.

I liked how half-assed his excuse was for kicking Ledo out. Even Striker called him out on it.

"UHH, *cough cough* YOU'RE UH, NOT FIT TO BE A SOLDIER ANYMORE. GTFO"

Chamber ;_;7

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    MMrraagh, had to work can't see it yet this is torture posting without looking no thpoilerth eearaghh...

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, as every Gen Urobuchi anime seems to be for me, this was easily my show of the season. Easily.

Exceptionally good pacing (seems to be his thing, really), some really solid narrative twists, and a very high attention to detail. I sincerely hope he revists this setting. As for the production? Sublime, as is to be expected for something with this weight of a budget behind it and expectations to be filled. Just some minor detail (see: backdrop random characters) quibbles but honestly they matter so little when every major set piece in incredible and the action sequences are animated to a very elaborate degree.

Very impressed, overall, and I was pretty damn happy with the ending too (my above post notwithstanding).

Would watch again.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, as every Gen Urobuchi anime seems to be for me, this was easily my show of the season. Easily.

Exceptionally good pacing (seems to be his thing, really), some really solid narrative twists, and a very high attention to detail. I sincerely hope he revists this setting. As for the production? Sublime, as is to be expected for something with this weight of a budget behind it and expectations to be filled. Just some minor detail (see: backdrop random characters) quibbles but honestly they matter so little when every major set piece in incredible and the action sequences are animated to a very elaborate degree.

Very impressed, overall, and I was pretty damn happy with the ending too (my above post notwithstanding).

Would watch again.

I agree with all of these things. Well, except my "show of the season" is tied between this and The Devil Is a Part-timer, but those shows are in two very different genres. :P The few detail quibbles should be resolved in the Blu-ray release, where the show shall be visible in its true glory. I haven't bought a physical copy of anything for a while now due to being broke, but oh man will I ever be picking this up when it's out. You can really tell that Urobuchi was directly involved in this last episode, because it was just perfect if you enjoyed the show up to this point. Absolutely perfect. He continues to be one of my favorite writers/directors/etc. for anything of all time.

Essee on
  • Options
    Last episode:

(Ledo activates the big suicide superpower)

Me: "Why? Whyyyyy? Urobuchi you motherfucker, why do you always kill my favorite character in every show you make? It's like you know ahead of time who will be the most likable so you can just gleefully take them away! Curse you to hell!"

(Chamber becomes the most bro of bros and spares Ledo's life)

Me: "Why? Whyyyyy? Urobuchi you motherfucker, why did you have to completely reverse my expectations about Chamber and make him the most loyal, awesomest character in one single action? Curse you to hell!"

I freaking clapped when Chamber said his final line. That was ripped out of Hollywood action flicks, but it still freaking worked in the context of things.

The episode certainly delivered. Congrats Urobutcher, you finally managed to
    heal your audience instead of mentally scarring them, just like you always wanted

I really do want to see a continuation of the series in some form, though things certainly did end on a very satisfying note in this particular arc. A prequel could definitely work, and I don't just mean that Bellows manga they're planning.

My only complaint in the end was
    the pirate conflict ending way too neatly. Suddenly all the pillaging and rape is forgiven just because they banded together against a common foe?

Pinion really lucked out either way. When Rackage shouted "Amore!", that was :blush:

Also the idea someone in this thread had about Amy's brother becoming a Hideauze was brilliant too, and I would have loved to have seen that happen.

And with that, I'm out of shows to watch this season other than Attack on Titan. If anyone's got any noteworthy recommendations, feel free to make a thread about it.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I want more shows that delve into the Gargantia universe, even if they aren't a sequel!
    I really like how Chamber and Stryker themselves are kind of a parallel to the whole conflict that led to the Alliance Hideauze war. Both ended up representing two different ideas based on how their pilots chose to cope with their condition of being strangers in a strange land. Ledo chose to interact and cooperate with the locals, while Kugel decided to subjugate the locals. This also result in both mechs having different ideas at the very end of what their proper function was. Granted there is some chicken and the egg here, but I think that makes the end result even more fascinating and enjoyable.

Though poor chamber, at least he went out like a badass!

Overall, I enjoyed this series. Not sure if I can say it's my favorite one of the season, since this has been the only anime I've watched for a few months, might go check out some of the others. My only real complaint is episode five, I didn't feel it was a complete waste, but I felt that some of it could have been tweaked to do more character development and world building, while being a little less filler. Don't get me wrong, there are a few spots in that episode that really do sell Ledo's character and I think the overall narrative would be hurt a little if one skips the episode.

Definitely, going on the list of shows that I will get on disk and recommend to people.

With that said, I guess it's time to look into watching some shows that I didn't follow when they came out, while I wait for the next season of anime to start (already have 2-3 that I'll probably give a shot).

Mill on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Ehh... the ending was okay, with a few highlights.

I'm still hoping that we'll get more stuff set in the same universe. There's just too much potential for the alliance and the hideauze.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Just an FYI, but there is supposed to be an "epilogue" episode of sorts included with the Blu Ray release. That'll be interesting to see, but I imagine it won't be a whole episode length but just a short segment.

Also, Urobuchi managed to avoid a long-standing tradition of his.
    Killing the best friend.

I thought for sure Melty's fate was sealed when she went with Pinion's group, but both she and Saya made it out alright.

Unless you count Chamber as Ledo's best friend.

Chamber....:(

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ep 13
    legit tears over Chamber. how is my favorite character in this season of anime a jumped up autopilot? you damn smooth talking robot

baka

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    skyknyt wrote: »
    Ep 13
    legit tears over Chamber. how is my favorite character in this season of anime a jumped up autopilot? you damn smooth talking robot

baka

Best post from /a/
    Suuuupermaaaaan

;_____;

• Options
    I don't know if this or Attack on Titan would rank as my favorite of the season - both are good shows but both have let me down a bit in separate ways.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    That ending was fantastic. What a great ride.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Ep 13
    I really liked that last battle between Chamber and Striker. Chamber is a support AI to aid pilots, while Striker was programmed to aid commanders (At least that was my impression). Through their experiences, they've evolved past their programming according to the choices that their masters made during their stays on Earth. Ledo learned to co-exist with others and ultimately become human. Kugel chose religious oppression via crowning himself as a god. When Kugel died, Striker simply kept it going and "grew out" of its original programming to fulfill said needs, going completely nuts in the process. Chamber remained grounded in reality thanks to Ledo's correct choices and thus, was a bro to the end... and it's implied that Ledo kept a backup of him in his trusty PDA thingy.
    Ep 13
    I don't think it's implied he kept a backup, more like he held onto that little module in remembrance.
    Chamber ;_;7
    NEVER FORGET

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Oh dear lord, that was awesome.

I really like that two of my favorite shows of the season (this and Devil is a Part-timer) managed to wrap up their seasons in an extremely enjoyable fashion that left things open to continuation.

Episode 13 and speculation on future content:
    Holy shit wow. That one episode contained more depth than most mecha series ever get into. Chamber! WHY!?!?! What a hell of a way to go out. Like, I legitimately have to applaud Urobuchi for the way he handled this last episode, because he's used his reputation to build a certain amount of suspense for people who know his work. Like when Amy came flying in, when Pinion sent everyone away, when Ledo merged with Chamber... At all those points in time, I was like, "Okay, this is when someone gets killed off." However, for only Chamber to bite the bullet, and for a machine to demonstrate not only philosophy but also self-sacrifice...

Man, that was a fucking good show.

As for future content, I like the idea of following different characters to explore more of what happened before and after this series. Also, the shot of Chamber on the ocean floor begs for him to be rediscovered, not by Ledo but rather by his children or grandchildren. I'd really like to see the Hideauze and the Gargantians learn to communicate and co-exist, perhaps even having to unite against the Alliance or the Space Hideauze. Really, the setting is ripe for directions to be explored.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    ep13
    Audience plays "urobutcher" card

Urobuchi plays gurren lagann card

MANLY TEARS

• Options
  • Options
    Episode 13 again:

u5Y4f5L.jpg

I have no idea what this reference is.

• Options
    Episode 13 again:

u5Y4f5L.jpg

Iron Giant

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Episode 13 again:

u5Y4f5L.jpg

Iron Giant
    My favorite movie starring Vin Diesel

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    It really is funny reading the reactions toward the ending:
    By all accounts it's the happiest ending by far in an Urobuchi series.

Yet people are so crushed by Chamber's sacrifice they refuse to acknowledge it as happy. I really have to hand it to him, he turned what I thought was going to be another K***** and instead made him the best bro-bot ever.

I do like the theories that Ledo has a backup of Chamber's AI in his communicator, but we won't know for sure until they release that epilogue special.

Also, Urobuchi has a prime opportunity to create a real Urobutcher tragedy if he decides to make a prequel series focusing on the creation of the Hideauze and the eventual war between the Evolvers and Galactic Alliance. I'd definitely be interested in seeing that.

I'm satisfied to call this the end of Ledo's story, but there's a lot of material that they can still create new stories from.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Yet people are so crushed by Chamber's sacrifice they refuse to acknowledge it as happy. I really have to hand it to him, he turned what I thought was going to be another K***** and instead made him the best bro-bot ever.

I do like the theories that Ledo has a backup of Chamber's AI in his communicator, but we won't know for sure until they release that epilogue special.

Also, Urobuchi has a prime opportunity to create a real Urobutcher tragedy if he decides to make a prequel series focusing on the creation of the Hideauze and the eventual war between the Evolvers and Galactic Alliance. I'd definitely be interested in seeing that.

I'm satisfied to call this the end of Ledo's story, but there's a lot of material that they can still create new stories from.

I still think that the behavior of chamber proves 100% that the hideaze are the 'villains' of the piece here. Chamber genuinely did what his spooky line said he was for. He was here to set Ledo up for success. He sacrificed himself to achieve it. The AI and the humans in the alliance are both capable of empathy, growth and understanding. The hideaze are just animals.

And I think Ledo should have sacrificed himself to save Chamber after Chambers amazing speech!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

I doubt he has Chamber in the communicator. It was just that- a communicator. The chances of it being able to house something as complex as Chamber is very low.

It'll also completely obliterate the meaning behind his sacrifice. I, personally, would be extremely let down if it were the case. I doubt Urobuchi would do that, either.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

I still think that the behavior of chamber proves 100% that the hideaze are the 'villains' of the piece here. Chamber genuinely did what his spooky line said he was for. He was here to set Ledo up for success. He sacrificed himself to achieve it. The AI and the humans in the alliance are both capable of empathy, growth and understanding. The hideaze are just animals.

And I think Ledo should have sacrificed himself to save Chamber after Chambers amazing speech!
    I still maintain that we don't know shit about the Hideauze, because there's been pretty much zero info on their current state.