Options

[Deadlands: Reloaded] OOC Thread

Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Critical Failures
Deadlands_logo.jpg
Welcome to the Weird West!

What is Deadlands?
Deadlands is a tabletop roleplaying game develop in 1996 by Pinnacle Entertainment Group set in a not-so-familiar Old West, essentially creating the alternate history / historical horror genre and paving the way for books like Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. By incorporating elements of Lovecraftian horror and steampunk with the Western genre, designer/writer Shane Lacey Hensley developed a alternate history setting in which the Civil War continued to rage on for much longer thanks to the discover of a powerful new fuel called ghost rock. This discovery has allowed for fantastic, even miraculous inventions with the side effect of often driving the inventors insane. While the Civil War continued to spread carnage accross the lands, the Indian Nations reclaimed their shamanistic magic powers and drove much of the white man back East. Eventually the Confederacy and the Union were forced to sign a treatise, agreeing to a begrudged cease fire between the two nations. Now a new push East is occurring with the discover of vast richness of ghost rock in the California Great Maze. The Civil War has ended but the Great Rails Wars have just begun between competing industrial titans known as the Rail Barons. The disputed territories between the North and South are a hotbed of espionage and continued skirmishing. And all across the West are rumors of monsters - of terrible beasts and the dead rising.

The game had a unique system designed to capture the flavor of the Western genre by incorporating playing cards and poker chips. Over the game's history it has been adapted to many other game systems, including the d20 System and GURPS. The classic rules of this system were simplified for The Great Rail Wars miniature skirmish game which were eventually adapted in the generic tabletop roleplaying game Savage Worlds. Subsequently Pinnacle Entertainment Group (PEG) began to release some of its classic games under this new system. In 2006 PEG released Deadlands: Reloaded, an update of their classic Deadlands setting using the Savage Worlds system.

That sounds pretty cool. I want to play!
Great, cause I'm looking to recruit four players for a short play-by-post campaign set in the fictional town of Coffin Rock. You'll need the Savage Worlds core rules and the Deadlands: Reloaded Player's Guide. Once a prosperous frontier town on the border of the disputed territories and Indian lands, the good folks of Coffin Rock have fallen on hard times. The copper mine that made this town once thriving has dried up and the former mayor and town founder was gunned down in cold blood. In desperation the miners attempt to dig too deeply and many lives were lost. To make matters worse, bandit raids have become a common occurance. To stem the tide Coffin Rock's new Sherrif has instituted harsh new laws, incurring terrible punishments for even the smallest violations. Fear and paranoia now rule the land, driving the people to the zealous, charismatic leader of the local parish or to the local saloon to drown their sorrows with liquor and women. The setup is that heroes have arrived in town so that one of them can claim an inheritance left by a relative who recently departed. However, such circumstances will arrise as to prevent them from claiming their prize without cleaning up town first. Can our heroes step up and save the citizens of Coffin Rock from themselves?

@Nealneal, @Ken O, @Captain Carrot and @JohnnyCache have all been selected to participate!

A few rules:
1) At least one post a day is required from all players.
2) Please put all rolls and out-of-character dialogue in spoilers.
3) Wild Card NPCs will be noted with a (*) next to their names to indicate their status.
4) To keep combat scenarios moving quickly and smoothly, all relevant defense data for NPCs will be listed in a spoiler block in initiative order.
5) After completing your turn, please "@" the next player in the current order to inform them it is their turn.
6) Either Okoros or Myth Weaver are acceptible sites for dice rolls.
7) I will be assuming your posse has been on exploits together before this game. You are not required to come up with everything you've done together. However, if you want want to make up stories about those exploits while trying to Intimidate someone at cards, Taunt someone into drawing first, Persaude them into trusting you, etc., I might be reward Bennies.

Character sheets are due by Thursday, April 18!

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
Mikey CTS on

• Options
    I'm sure @Nealneal will have some interest in this.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I love Deadlands. I ran a table top a couple of years ago before the player's lives got in the way and the campaign finally died.

Ken O on
    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    @Assuran has a Deadlands avatar. He too might have an interest.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    "Tennesee" Booth is at your service.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I don't have any of the Savage World stuff.

I have all the Hell on Earth stuff and some of the classic stuff, however.

• Options
    Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    @Captain Carrot may be interested.
    (Well I tried but I'm dumb with computers. Could someone else be so kind as to let him know?)

I, on the other hand, have no money but the setting seems rad.

Suicide Slyde on
  • Options
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Oh, wonderful, I've been wanting to play Deadlands, but I kinda didn't think it was gonna happen. I'll convert my nice young Jewish woman to Reloaded.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    I'm am so down. One of my favorite games. Would play a huckster if they still exist as such in reloaded.

• Options
    I think we have enough interest. If you guys want to go ahead get some character concepts up, I can help with actual builds for people unfamiliar with Savage Worlds. If you are already familiar with Classic Deadlands, any concepts that exist there also work in the Reloaded version.

So show me what you got! I'll be accepting applications through Tuesday, April 16th.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Clayton Reid, bounty hunter.

History: Clayton was born and raised in the Nueces Strip. By the time he was old enough to enlist he knew Texas and Northern Mexico like the back of his hand; the Confederate army was more than happy to hire him on as a scout. During his time as an army scout the unit he was leading was attacked in the middle of the night. The attackers moved with an unatural speed and attacked with tooth and claw. Reid was able to save the commanding officer's life but everyone else in the unit were killed. Both were interviewed by the Texas Rangers afterwards. The Rangers insisted that the attack was human in nature, telling Reid that tribes in that area had trained wolves. Reid took an honorable discharge from the army after recovering from his own wounds. Despite what the Rangers had said, he knew what he had seen. Since then he has taken the position as a bounty hunter.

Obviously I can change things around to work with the game.

Ken O on
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    "Tennesee" Booth, gentleman, huckster, sexy bastard. Thinks other people's horses talk.

• Options
    Http://savagepedia.wikispaces.com/ is a fan site for Savage Worlds. It collects all the Edges and Hindrances from most sources, both official and licensed. It does give full detail but it does explain what they do in broad strokes. Note that only Core and Deadlands material is available.

This still won't help people who don't have the rules. I'll still be working with them if their concepts are selected.

• Options
    Rachael Simmons, blessed

Rachael was born in Brooklyn in 1853, to a devout Reformed Jewish family. She knew early on that her faith was very important to her, and studied the Torah intently, both in Hebrew and English. After high school, she spent a few years working at her synagogue, but after she met a US Marshal who'd been working in the Dakota Territory, she saw it as her duty to go to the West and try to bring some peace to the area, along with the love of G-d. Her journey towards the coast wasn't exactly smooth, especially as a young woman traveling without protection from either a companion or her own skills, but most people respect the devout. Then again, she hasn't run into anyone really rough just yet...
    d4 Agility
    d8 Smarts
    d10 Spirit
    d4 Strength
    d4 Vigor

Faith d10
    Fighting d4
    Guts d4
    Knowledge (Judaism) d8
    Notice d6
    Persuasion d10

Pacifist (minor)
    Humble (minor): Rachael Simmons doesn't believe in tooting her own horn, and will even minimize her role when recounting a tale of her exploits, instead emphasizing the actions of others and the power of the Almighty. She won't try to impress anyone with her own prowess, and may even urge that limited resources go towards helping others rather than herself.

Major Vow: protect the innocent, defend peace and justice, and uphold and promote the tenets of Judaism.
    Arcane Background (miracles)
    Conviction

• Options
    Hmm... I thought there was interest enough for this, but I've received all of one submission so far.

Disappointing.

• Options
    I think Ken and Neal were focusing on concepts before statting up.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Three are probably enough. I'll just have to adjust some encounters. Still another day to go.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    I have a concept, but can't find the books in time for tuesday: Mordicai McKenna, Geological Technician and Occasional Gambler

A tall, thin man with a foppish manner, an unplacable "furin" accent, and a "big iron" under his frock-coat, McKenna comes into town when mines go bust, he purports to find ore, and he hopes to get out of town after breaking the local card games with money "invested" in his geological enterprises. He's done it all for money, from nicking a card to fighting things in the lower reaches of mines that would turn your hair white to see... Sometimes all his plans go down the tubes, but he's got an ace up his sleeve. A literal ace, empowered by ritual from the Book of Hoyle, to get him out the back door and on to the next town...but he's starting to lose track of all the fake names and detailed lies, and he's starting to not feel fully recovered from the last venture before the next one starts... this new town may be the place to take a stand...or take a fall.

• Options
    That's cool. I'm just looking for concepts not builds right now.

• Options
    Early geological exploration was actually surprisingly steampunky in reality, I bet it was really interesting in Deadlands.

• Options
    Interesting that you went with huckster rather than mad scientist with that concept. I do like it though.

I also like the jewish blessed and bounty hunter.

• Options
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Interesting that you went with huckster rather than mad scientist with that concept. I do like it though.

I also like the jewish blessed and bounty hunter.

You know that's a good point. But I like the idea that he's kind of a scammer.

• Options
    I can get stats together by tomorrow morning. I have to find which bookshelf I hid all my Savage World stuff in.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Alright then!

@Nealneal
    @Ken O
    @Captain Carrot
    and @JohnnyCache

You guys are all in. I want to see character sheets by Thursday. I want to get the introductory post up by Thursday night if possible.

A few things I'd like you to discuss about your party:

1) How did you come to be a posse? What motivates you to work and travel together accross the ol' dusty trail? You may each have different motives for working together, but I'd like to see some reason you've all come together.
    2)Which of you is the lucky inheritor? What was your relationship to the recently departed?
    3) And from where abouts are you coming from to arrive in Coffin Rock, CO? Did you hope a train from Chicago then ride up from Denver? Maybe you were down in Texas and took a carriage instead.

A few things to note:
    1) Wild Card NPCs will be noted with a (*) next to their names to indicate their status.
    2) To keep combat scenarios moving quickly and smoothly, all relevant defense data for NPCs will be listed in a spoiler block. They will be listed in order of initiative with the party members.
    3) Please put all rolls and out-of-character dialogue in spoilers.
    4) Either Okoros or Myth Weaver are acceptible sites for dice rolls.
    5) I will be assuming you've been on exploits together before this game. You are not required to come up with everything you've done together. However, if you want want to make up stories about those exploits to townfolks while trying to Intimidate someone at cards, Taunt someone into drawing first, Persaude them into trusting you, etc., I might be reward Bennies.

I will post the above rules in the OP. If you need help building your character, please PM so we can work together to get your PC built.

• Options
    Rachel's parents and rabbi managed to spread the word to synagogues from Brooklyn to Aurora, not far from Coffin Rock, at which point Jews are fairly thin on the ground. This suited Rachael fine -- no need to go all the way to the ocean, after all. Families chipped in a dime, a quarter, a dollar to pay for train tickets, and several volunteered to host her for the night; a young woman should be able to sleep in a bed, not on a train, for her first venture away from home.

[With Neal's permission] She manages to make her way to Des Moines alone, but on that final leg of the journey she meets a man named Tennessee Booth. He seems rather disreputable to the casual observer, and admittedly the trained one as well, but she sees a light burning deep inside him -- she knows she can trust him, somehow, but she must discover what that light is, and why she can see it, more than just a gift from G-d. She asks Booth to keep her company on the trip to Coffin Rock, and wonder of wonders, he seems to find something entertaining about the prospect of watching out for her.

[With JohnnyCache's permission] Another rough character jumps onto the train at the last second, and at first neither of them pay him any mind. Booth plays poker with him and a few other fellows, with Rachael nearby, and when a cowpoke catches McKenna cheating, the guns come out. Booth uses a few threats to put them away, aided by her appeal to their common humanity -- and pointing out that the folks who work on the cars don't like having to repair bullet holes, and there are armed guards on the train. McKenna mutters his thanks, and heads back to the dining car until they reach Aurora.

[With Ken's permission] The night they arrive in the dusty city, the three of them have barely left the platform when a uniformed gentleman questions them closely on whether they had observed anything or anyone unusual on the train. She answers with rather more dignity and calm than the others, and it's only the sighting of what looks like a rather large wolf racing into the outskirts of the settlement that stops Booth and McKenna from coming to blows with the man. Rachael points and shouts, which unfortunately draws the beast's attention. It starts for her, seeing an easy target, but the gentleman shoves her out of the way just in time, taking a nasty gash himself, but allowing McKenna and Booth to shoot it dead. A short prayer stops the bleeding for the newcomer, who finally says his name is Reid.

The three of them are taken quite a bit aback by that, and it seems Rachael has found some new friends in the Weird West.

Rachael herself has come to the settling frontier to try to calm the violence and bring some peace of mind to the area; she knows her companions are not so altruistic, but while they devote themselves to the defense of the innocent and opposition to evil, that seems plenty enough for her. Booth has managed many feats that seemed impossible, and has hinted to her that the rumors of card-slinging sorcerers may have some accuracy. Rachael worries for his soul, but does not preach overtly, as the man seems rather stubborn, and it's not really her way in any case. McKenna is a liar, but not generally to her, and as they have traveled his generosities with the truth have come more in line with her own practices, though he still has a long way to go. Reid has no major problems with sinning, but his gaze sometimes seems deeply troubled, and while she does not pry he has revealed a few details of his past that suggest deep emotional issues. They function well as a team, and she hopes that perhaps their exploits will make the West a safer place for everyone, and a more fertile home for Judaism.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Capt, looks great! I should have something written a little later today.

Stats incoming.
    D8 Agility
    D6 Smarts
    D4 Spirit
    D6 Strength
    D8 Vigor

Char
    Pace 6
    Parry 4
    Toughness 7
    Grit 1

D4 Fighting (Agility)
    D6 Notice (Smarts)
    D6 Riding (Agility)
    D8 Shooting (Agility)
    D4 Stealth (Agility)
    D4 Streetwise(Smarts)
    D4 Survival (Smarts)
    D6 Tracking (Smarts)
    D4 Knowledge Spanish (Smarts)
    D4 Guts (Spirit)

Brawny
    Heroic (Major)
    Lyin’ Eyes (Minor)
    Loyal (Minor)
    Nerves of Steel

Gear
    Boots, 2 shirts, 2 Trousers, Poncho, Stetson, Gunbelt and Holster, Speed-load Cylinder, 2 boxes matches, 2 pouches smoking tobacco, Bed Roll, Canteen, Saddle and Saddle Bags

Sharps Big 50, Colt Peacemaker
    box 100 .45 pistol rounds, box 100 .50 rifle rounds

$113

5 EXP, 1 Raise Spent

Physical Description
    Clayton stands at 6’2” with broad shoulders. His unkempt black hair and face full of dark stubble tell the tale of a man who spends most of his time on the trail. Pale blue eyes look more grey than blue in the right light. He dresses in a black hat, grey bib shirt, and black pants. A well used poncho tries it’s best to keep him from being covered in trail dust, but usually fails. Reid carries a six gun on his hip but claims he isn’t fast enough for pistols. Instead he relies on a Sharp’s buffalo rifle.

Edit 1: Added physical description. Adding story background soon.

Ken O on
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Looks good, @Ken O. My only concern is you haven't made investments in the Guts skill. You might want to consider that. Deadlands is as much a game about horror as it is action/adventure, and I will be making calls for rolls. I don't think you want to be making d4-2 unskilled rolls for fear checks.

Also awesome work, Cap!

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I changed my skills around about 50 times before posting. Dropping Spanish to D4 and adding Guts ad D4.

Ken O on
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    [Linking Clayton's story to Rachael's.]

Clayton had been on the trail of the Lopez brothers for the better part or a month. It had started in New Mexico but each encounter drove them further and further north. In Colorado Springs he had found the lead he was looking for, the Lopez brothers were meeting a cousin in Aurora. If he hurried he may even be able to beat the train there.

It was only a mile outside Aurora when he did better than finding their cousin; he rode right up on the Lopez brothers. The problem with getting into shootouts with brothers is that there are two of them and only one of you. The air filled with the sounds of gunfire as the three men threw lead at each other. A round from the Sharps tore through Angel’s left elbow and sent his forearm into the dirt. Raul returned fire and put a bullet into skull of Clayton’s horse. A splash of blood and grey matter hit Clayton in the face as hundreds of pounds of lifeless horse flesh tried to crush him into the ground. By the time he had gotten himself untangled the Lopez brothers had already fled.

Clayton arrived in Aurora just to see the train pulling into the station. He was questioning a group of passengers if they had seen Raymond Lopez. The woman interrupts the conversation when she points and shouts about a large wolf that had entered town. The animal seemed attracted by the attention and charged. Pushing in front of the woman the wolf hit Clayton in the chest before he could get his rifle up. The wolf was quickly put down and he found the woman he had stepped in front of was capable of amazing acts of faith.

Suddenly he had found himself with new companions. He’d never admit it, but he was happy to have some company after being out on his own for so long. Even after her display of faith it took some time before Clayton was sure Rachael wasn't some sort of grifter; he had never met anyone that pious. Booth and McKenna both talk too much for his liking, but most people tend to do that.

[Okay, I'm done spamming the thread today. ]

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Looking good. Things are shaping up nicely.

• Options
    Accuses. Accuses him of cheating. No one ever catches him. :P

• Options
    edited April 2013
    "Tennessee" Booth, Huckster
    Attributes Dice
    Agility d6
    Smarts d8
    Spirit d8
    Strength d4
    Vigor d4

Skills Dice
    Gambling d8
    Fighting d6
    Guts d8
    Notice d6
    Shooting d6
    Spellcasting d8
    Knowledge d6
    (Occult)

Derived Stats Base
    Pace 6
    Parry 5
    Toughness 4
    Grit 1
    Charisma 0

Edge
    Arcane Background (Magic)
    Card Sharp

Hinderance
    Curious (Major)
    Delusion (Minor) (Hears other peoples' horses talk.)

Quirk (Minor) (Fiddles with a poker chip all the time.)

Gear
    Suit
    Playing Cards
    Harmonica
    Spectacles
    Gun Belt w/ Quick Holster
    Horse w/ Saddle and Bags
    Bacon (3 lbs.)
    Coffee (1lbs)
    Whiskey (1 Bottle)
    Cigars (11)
    Extra Ammo (38 rounds)

Weapons
    Colt Peacemaker (Single) 12/24/48 Single 2d6+1

Knife -- -- 2d4

Powers
    Soul Blast 1-6 Drain 12/24/48 2d6(3d6)
    Fear 2 16 --
    Detect/Conceal Arcana 2 Sight --

Nightmare
    He's frightened by the thought of losing his powers.

Talky bits incoming, though Mikey already knows old Tennessee.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Alright! So now I'm just waiting on stats from @JohnnyCache.

• Options
    I have my books but was super busy with Waco fire coverage (I work for the news)... I'll be finished soonish

• Options
    No rush. I'll be putting up the opening post late tonight.

I hope you guys are are as excited as I am!

• Options
    I have decided one thing: could we change the copy above to reflect an accusation of cheating rather than being caught? I think playing poker on the square is how this person self punishes for his greater transgressions

• Options
  • Options
    I've got our in-character thread ready to go. As soon as @JohnnyCache is ready I'll post it and we can begin.

• Options
    New IC thread is here.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    You ever get the feeling that a shit storm of international terrorism has been perpetrated exclusively to exhaust you, lock you into the 24 hour news cycle, and keep you from playing online games?

Here is a bare-bones statsheet, just have to finish buying gear, which I shall do at work in about an hour:
    Mordicai McKenna

Agi d4
    Sma d8
    Spirit d8
    Stre d4
    Vig d8

Char 2
    Pace 6
    Parry 4
    tough6

edges
    - arcane bck