As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So much joy! So much excitement! So much congratulations! [Weddings and Getting Married]

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Just dropped dollars on my ring! SO MUCH MONEY but so purdy!

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I am excited for you! Also, nice website, I love how organised you are!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    This weekend my fiancée sourced a possible wedding dress, designed a logo for the invitations and torches we're giving the guests, wrote an introduction and timetable to put on our website, and changed the website's font to match the invitations.

I added a combat scene to the Twine wedding adventure, including variables to reflect whether the player decided to travel to the wedding in the theme of Jedi, 40k Inquisitor, Starfleet Ensign, or a fantasy dwarf/elf/human.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I would make a joke about them living in SIN but that's only half accurate

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    @Vivixenne‌ I read through your wedding journal and felt the urge to discuss your post re:wedding photos. I'm in very much the same camp as you in terms of less being more when we talk about photos.

In many ways, I think it is symptomatic of our current day and age where cameras are at the majority of the populations' fingertips. We are losing the art of enjoying the ephemeral beauty of the moment.

That's not to say some photos are a bad idea and indeed (sorry for throwing dark here in an otherwise happy thread) I still derive no small amount of catharsis from looking at photos of friends who have passed away.

I'll echo your disclaimer that everyone has the right to enjoy their wedding in a manner they deem fit, free from judgement, but I definitely agree that photos should be a secondary means to reminisce on the wedding day

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Some friends used (employed) a friend of a friend who is an avid photographer, but not so much a straight up wedding guy. Basically he took photos all day, but not a crap tonne of them. What he did take though were really nicely framed, some nice artsy shots of the rings on an old window sill, some black and whites of the folks getting prep'd (see my previous FB photo), just a bunch of damn good photos.

Quality over quantity, basically. Everyone else will take the happysnaps, then afterwards you can have a space on the website for people to upload their favourites that they took.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    taking car up to YVR

well hey there

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    new wedding post - http://www.blake-and-vivienne.com/journal/2014/7/28/social-media-and-nuptial-expectations

I actually have tons of them queued up, just haven't posted them all yet, but it is kinda nice to get to discuss some of these things en masse, n'aw mean? I dunno. mostly it's an outlet for the crazy

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I, on the other hand, will be live tweeting the entire thing.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Who wants to get #nuptialselfie trending on twitter with me.

Basically during the ceremony you run up, grab a selfie with me, and upload it to twitter with the hashtag.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I need a smiley that is shaking its head while its eyes are fixed on the ceiling

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    aha

ShakeHead.gif

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Who wants to get #nuptialselfie trending on twitter with me.

Basically during the ceremony you run up, grab a selfie with me, and upload it to twitter with the hashtag.

I'm your man.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Did you guys use something to build your site or is one of you just that kind of nerd? It's quite nice and I'd like to make something even half as nice but I have zero talent in that department

• Options
    Dan recommended four square to us.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    not four square

squarespace

gosh honey (<3)

and @cabsy I've made my own websites in the past and would have done so again, but the cool thing with squarespace is that it's a really good interface, affordable, and includes hosting

they will also do domain registration for you if you sign up for more than a year

given how lazy I am these days that seemed way more appealing than starting from scratch again

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Going to a wedding this weekend and in the "last details before you arrive" email they noted that they have hired a photographer and it would be nice if he could get good photos of the actual ceremony without amateurs standing in his way or everyone having a smartphone in hand and snapping their own pics (because it looks stupid). I can get behind that, but I feel I know some people who wouldn't take kindly to those words.

But now that I think about it, nobody took photos at my wedding ceremony, where we also had a professional, so maybe people can be "in the moment" at least for half an hour.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    yeah it sounds like it's all down to the wording

it's easy for "please don't take photos during the ceremony" to be taken as either "I don't want shit photos of me to be online after spending $$$$$ on a photographer" (words from an actual person, not cited in the post) or the much more pleasant "we want to see your faces when we walk down the aisle!"

so you gotta word it properly; I know at the wedding I referenced it was really just "the bride has requested no photography while she comes down the aisle", which seemed to have been met with a mix of "oooh she doesn't want BAD photos, pffft" and "awwwww now that's a nice touch" and (my initial reaction) <shrug, puts phone away> "cool"

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Most of the time the celebrant asks ahead of time to put your phone away.

• Options
    most people take that to mean DON'T BE USING YOUR PHONE FOR PHONING PURPOSES rather than not using the camera phone, though

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I reckon it's fair for the wedding party to request phones be in pockets and on silent for the whole occasion. There will be a pro 'tog running around before and after the staged photos taking candids of everyone anyway, and there's no way you're likely to get anywhere near as good a result with your iPhone after that bottle and a half of champagne...

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I actually can't remember a single word our celebrant (btw: is that just an Australian word for the one doing the marriage ceremony? first time I encountered it) said, so it's entirely possible she mentioned something about phones and/or cameras.

• Options
    Grobian wrote: »
    I actually can't remember a single word our celebrant (btw: is that just an Australian word for the one doing the marriage ceremony? first time I encountered it) said, so it's entirely possible she mentioned something about phones and/or cameras.

Celebrants are non-religious (or at least non-denominational iirc) people who are authorised to conduct weddings

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Wait no a quick check of Wikipedia revealed they can be religious, it's just that they're the people authorised to perform marriages.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Officiant I think is the common American term.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I'm totally with you on that Viv, hardly any guests took photos at my sister's wedding because we had a local photographer and didn't have to worry about that, everyone was able to enjoy the day. I think maybe the celebrant mentioned something about asking people to be present in the moment too??

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hey Viv, how come they won't let you do the legal ceremony in Singapore?

• Options
    A phone went off during my Dad's wedding ceremony in Thailand. I was hunting around to see which filthy expat hadn't put their phone on silent..

.. It was the monk's.

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Hey Viv, how come they won't let you do the legal ceremony in Singapore?

Because Singapore is BUTTS.

Neither of us are citizens which means one of us will have to have been in Singapore for at least 15 consecutive days before we can have a legal ceremony.

It makes no sense because it means no one will ever have a destination wedding there without a buttload of leave.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Oh that's dumb.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My uncle and his wife had to do the same thing for their wedding in Scotland. Only I think they had to be there for a month.

• Options
    Sounds like an excuse to take the honeymoon before the wedding...

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    you know, we still haven't had a honeymoon
    i guess we should do that at some point
    when you get engaged and married in a span of 2 weeks, these things are forgotten

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You soppy romantics, you.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If you don't turn your phone off before attending a wedding you'd better be like, a police officer or brain surgeon or something.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Honeymoon in 17 days!

Visit the parents.
    Train trip across US.
    PAX
    Hawaii

Woooooo

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    Sounds like an excuse to take the honeymoon before the wedding...

I really would not want to have my honeymoon in Singapore.

• Options
    yeah, same

if it weren't for family and sentiment I'd definitely go there less often than I already do

• Options
    Scotland would be better, sure.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Scotland would be better, sure.

That's where we're going!

Current plan is to rent a VW camper van for a week or two and bum around historical sites, maybe drive over to Iona and various tiny whisky-producing islands.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]