As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sony Platformers] Sly will be a TV series now, who knows about the movie

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I would pay handsomely for a remastered collection of all the games on PS4.
    Heck, even if not remastered. I didn't even get to play the most recent R&C because it came out on PS3 a fair bit into the PS4's life and my PS3 was long gone.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    8116743217_1cfc6bb184_c.jpg

<3

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Not surprising to anyone, but I am so excited for the movie and game. The best thing about the movie though is that they kept the original game actors for the voices of the three major characters: Ratchet, Clank, and Qwark. If they changed them, it wouldn't have sounded right.

Oh yeah. Given this is Hollywood we could have easily have wound up with one of the guys from Twilight voicing Ratchet, so I'm impressed with everyone that didn't happen.

Then again Sly's voice got inexplicably changed for his movie, so. (Is that one still happening? Haven't heard zilch on that for over a year.)

Sly's movie was literally being done by the same director. Pretty sure the trailer was a proof of concept, then waiting to see how the R&C movie works out before starting another. Truthfully I'd be thrilled to see a Sly reboot, I'm just curious about who'd do it. SP hasn't made a Sly game in 11 years, and while Sanzaru did a very good Sly 4, they're not nearly big enough to start a reboot that Sony would greenlight.

It was weird that the other two actors stayed for the roles of Bentley and Murray, but Sly didn't. Kinda hoping that was just a matter of Kevin Miller's schedule just not working to get it done, but Kevin Miller literally does no other voice work BUT Sly Cooper. In fact he hasn't done any voice work in the last 3 years, so it's possible he just decided to drop voice acting altogether.

I will tell you this about the R&C movie though... I will have to get used to Paul Giamatti as Chairman Drek.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    So can I state one change I hope is put in the reboot game/movie? Over time they made Ratchet and the Lombax race as a whole tinkerers at heart. Doesn't it make more sense then for Ratchet to slowly figure this out and begin flat-out making his weapons and ships?

The setup is honestly perfect. The game currency is literally parts. Just make it so that at points in the game, he's inspired and writes down an idea. Then with enough parts he sits down for a day or 24 hours and just builds it, then tweaks it as he goes. This makes MUCH more sense than him buying wacky weapons, turning Ratchet into someone who fights and wins with wit and smarts, just like Clank.

Over time he'd literally turn into Dr. Nefarious' nemesis, which might be the catalyst that turns him into the supervillain.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    I will tell you this about the R&C movie though... I will have to get used to Paul Giamatti as Chairman Drek.

After so many installments with R&C, Quark, and Nefarious, I can hear their voices in my head when I think of them. I can barely remember what Drek even looked like, it's been so long.

• Options
    Yea, Drek having a different voice doesn't bother me a bit.

But I agree with @Dirty that those four have voices that are practically seared into my brain. I would have hated having different actors play them.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    As someone who's still only played the PS2 games and has gone through the original about 3 times, I still have Drek's voice fresh in my brain and it'll be pretty weird hearing someone else voice him.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I remember Drek moreso because he was the same person in Balder's Gate saying I had to 'gather my party before venturing forth'.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Not surprising to anyone, but I am so excited for the movie and game. The best thing about the movie though is that they kept the original game actors for the voices of the three major characters: Ratchet, Clank, and Qwark. If they changed them, it wouldn't have sounded right.

Oh yeah. Given this is Hollywood we could have easily have wound up with one of the guys from Twilight voicing Ratchet, so I'm impressed with everyone that didn't happen.

Then again Sly's voice got inexplicably changed for his movie, so. (Is that one still happening? Haven't heard zilch on that for over a year.)

Sly's movie was literally being done by the same director. Pretty sure the trailer was a proof of concept, then waiting to see how the R&C movie works out before starting another. Truthfully I'd be thrilled to see a Sly reboot, I'm just curious about who'd do it. SP hasn't made a Sly game in 11 years, and while Sanzaru did a very good Sly 4, they're not nearly big enough to start a reboot that Sony would greenlight.

It was weird that the other two actors stayed for the roles of Bentley and Murray, but Sly didn't. Kinda hoping that was just a matter of Kevin Miller's schedule just not working to get it done, but Kevin Miller literally does no other voice work BUT Sly Cooper. In fact he hasn't done any voice work in the last 3 years, so it's possible he just decided to drop voice acting altogether.

That's true, maybe Kevin Miller retired?

Personally I wasn't a fan of Sly 4 -- unlike the previous Slys, which set up insanely complicated heists that inevitably go wrong, Sly 4 was all "okay, do some stuff... now do some other stuff... now here's the inevitable boss fight." And Sly 4 wasn't a great seller.

Then again R&C games also haven't been selling all that well since the PS3 days and we're getting a movie and lavishly-produced game, so who knows.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I still wonder if they're relegating the lead title actors to bit billing.

But PAUL GIAMATTI is in the movie, better put his name on the poster!!!

edit: Oh hey, actual poster.

12424575_637156569765170_829929567_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE4MjAzOTczNTE1MTIwMjk5Mw%3D%3D.2.l

Well, at least their names are actually on the thing. Still 5th and 6th though, which is funny in a kind of sad way.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Clip!

https://youtu.be/xT2RcrmsXGY

The animation on the Ratchet's big movements seems a smiiiiiiidge off, but this ain't Pixar. Otherwise looks good to me.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I still wonder if they're relegating the lead title actors to bit billing.

But PAUL GIAMATTI is in the movie, better put his name on the poster!!!

edit: Oh hey, actual poster.

12424575_637156569765170_829929567_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE4MjAzOTczNTE1MTIwMjk5Mw%3D%3D.2.l

Well, at least their names are actually on the thing. Still 5th and 6th though, which is funny in a kind of sad way.

People don't know who James Arnold Taylor and David Kaye are

Of course they don't get first billing

Just how Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman got first billing over Christopher Reeve in Superman

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm so glad I around up with Tuesday night off. Gonna Ratchet & Clank so hard that night.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Kinda wish the order was switched around. I think playing this first might steal some of the movie's thunder.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    I'm so glad I around up with Tuesday night off. Gonna Ratchet & Clank so hard that night.

Yeah, very glad our second kiddo timed his birth to be 3 days ago, gots me lots of time off work to play some Ratchet & Clank!!!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    Kinda wish the order was switched around. I think playing this first might steal some of the movie's thunder.

Personally I think the idea is the movie's supposed to get new kids interested in the series and spike sales again after the two week initial release. Those of us who are fans are going to play the game and most likely watch the movie, regardless of what order they come out.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    I'm just worried that everything from the movie will be in the game's cutscenes, resulting in watching it being a complete redundancy.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I can't imagine they would be identical. But otherwise... yeah, my eyebrow is half cocked at the whole thing. We have a game whose plot is based on a movie whose plot is based on a game. And I don't imagine there are going to be sweeping differences. Heck, one of the trailers almost subtly gave away one of the story's plot twist. So if you played the first R&C even semi recently, then both film and remake might bore you stiff.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I'm just worried that everything from the movie will be in the game's cutscenes, resulting in watching it being a complete redundancy.

I agree and that is why I'm waiting on getting this until after the movie releases. It's not like I don't have more than enough to play until then. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm starting to think that making the two hew so close to each other will eat into the game's sales. Shame though, both look well done.

• Options
    I remember watching a video where the Insomniac Pres says there's about 20 minutes of the movie's animation in the game to help with the plot.

That's not bad honestly, but this will be one of those cases where the movie and the game WILL be identical in plot and story. It's only a difference between watching and playing it, and that may change people's desire to check out both in various ways.

Not to mention that, well... aside from smaller changes, the plot's the same, so anyone who's played the original already knows any twists in the story.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    skinkbaaskinkbaa Registered User regular

Yeah seems like that could be very likely.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    I pre-ordered this because, why not

I don't know if I'll see the movie, it seems like one of those movies where I'm like "oh yeah, I'll see that for sure" and then never make my way to the theater

Figure if I do one or the other, I'd much rather do the game

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Ahhh yes. The memories.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Got to play this a bit before work this morning, and I'm loving it! Such a pretty game. I had the HD collection on PS3 but only played a decent chunk of the first game. Liked it well enough, but I just never finished it so this is great. Controls way better I think. What are the cards for, just collectibles?

Only gripe is there's no "save and quit" option. Just kinda have to hope you trigger an autosave when you want to stop playing. Entering and exiting the weapon vendor seems to trigger the autosave at least.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Weird, usually the R&C games have the option to save in the options/settings menu.

Also, play Going Commando/Up Your Arsenal on the collection! They are near perfect games!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Aye, the third in the PS2 series was probably the best of them. Deadlocked was a good game on its own, as well, it just kinda pales in comparison to the other games in the series.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Having them land at the same time works out okay for me. I'm not taking four kids to the theater yet but they love Ratchet & Clank so they'll watch as I play and then we'll pick it up on Blu-Ray in a few months and they'll enjoy it all over again. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Just picked up my copy while faffing about in my work van. I will say this, it makes me more willing to see the movie when the game is $40. That doesn't happen nearly enough in mainstream games, and I'm willing to pump the savings into seeing the movie.

Besides, I want that Sly Cooper reboot/movie to happen just as much, so I want this to be profitable enough for Sony to pull the trigger.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Oh shit, there's a potential for more Sly Cooper!?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »
    Oh shit, there's a potential for more Sly Cooper!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbXEKZVonko

Well, they didn't make this for shits and giggles. If the R&C movie/game is a hit, I expect Sony to try it again with another fan favorite. No guarantees, but that's my hope.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    First thing that immediately hits me when I gain control of Ratchet: oh shit, it's not 60 frames anymore

I didn't play too much of the Future games so I forgot if they were, but the PS2 games in the collection definitely were, so this already feels slightly "off" but I'm sure I'll get used to it

It's a gorgeous game, though

• Options
    Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
    Are the weapons in this game different from those in the original? Having recently replayed the original I'd rather not pay full price for something that simply looks better.

• Options
    Hocky27 wrote: »
    Are the weapons in this game different from those in the original? Having recently replayed the original I'd rather not pay full price for something that simply looks better.

It has Mr. Zurkon and the Groovitron. That's all you need to know.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The cutscene volume is incredibly loud compared to the actual game. Is there optimization I need to do to fix this?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I have plans tonight (friends coming over for board games) and knowing that Mr. Zurkon is there just waiting to help me annihilate fools is making the wait unbearable.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    That's some gooooood R&C.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    The thing that can also kinda be explained away in the minor differences is that
    Captain Quark
    So far from what I played is playing the role of the unreliable narrator. It's nice to have that out if they choose to take it but the in-joke digs at the minor differences are kind of a treat.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Mr Zurkon is the true hero this galaxy deserves.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Having to wait on this one. It was mentioned pre-orders get the Bouncer weapon, which is always awesome. Is the Bouncer available any other way at this point?