Options

Pre-PAX Dinner: Tickets are SOLD OUT! You guys are awesome!

TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailorSeattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
edited July 2013 in PAX West
Greetings my fellow PAXers! It is I, TOGSolid, and I am once again bringing to you my second year of alcoholic dinner planning shenanigans!

What is the Pre-PAX Dinner?
The PPD is a catered dinner that traditionally happens the Thursday before PAX and goes from 6PM to 8PM. It's an excellent opportunity to meet your fellow PAXers and if you are going to the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament it's also a great place to get some food before you go get shitfaced! Just like last year this is a buffet spread so go fucking nuts and eat all the things!

Where is the Pre-PAX Dinner?
Barca! http://www.barcaseattle.com/ http://www.schmap.me/barca.seattle/

Who's feeding our faces!?!?
Andy's fantastic crew from Seasoned in Seattle! http://www.seasonedinseattle.com/
They catered the dinner last year and did a fantastic job. I'm really glad to have them back on board for this year's Dinner!

The Menu!
Everything is gluten free (except the bread of course)

-Brazilian slow roasted marinated chicken breast with tomato, ginger, coconut and jalapeno sauce
-Steak N' Coffee: Coffee marinated flat iron steaks char grilled with cracked pepper and topped with fresh spices and herbs
-Spomach & Pasta: Spinach and Ricotta filled jumbo shells in a rich marinara sauce with a touch of cream
-Passion Fruit Fusion: Field & spinache greens with Maracuja vinaigrette topped with seasonal berries, mandarin oranges, shallots, walnuts and feta
-Steamed Basmati Rice
-Watermelon & Shaved Fennel: Sweet & seedless watermelon with shaved fennel, fresh herbs, and a Zinfandel vinaigrette
-Fresh fruit and berries
-Organic breads and butter

Give me your money!
There are 120 tickets for sale and they cost $27.64 each. Buy as many as you want for whomever you want! You will need to bring your printed ticket with you so that I can get you checked in at the Dinner. You can also have it on your phone/tablet/as a tattoo/whatever just so long as it's with you in some form or another.
https://www.wepay.com/events/pre-pax-dinner-2013

FAQ
Q: Do I need to purchase each ticket under a different name for each guest or will one name for all tickets work?
A: Either way works for me! Just so long as the amount of friends you show up with matches up with the number of tickets you purchased.

Q: Are you making any money off of this?
A: Nope! This is entirely non-profit. The money I make from the ticket sales will exactly zero out my expenses setting this all up. If anyone is still not convinced I'll be glad to post my invoices and what not.

wWuzwvJ.png
TOGSolid on

• Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Keep it up, sir. Your work is most appreciated. :D

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    bloatedhippobloatedhippo Registered User regular
    I am definitely going to be eating all the food with everyone!

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    The Unicorn.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think I will actually go this year. I will eat just about anything. I am excite!

• Options
    Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy! This is one of the threads I've been eagerly awaiting! ~breaks her F5 key refreshing for ticket sales to go up~

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The Unicorn.
    Yay, thanks!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ratzofftoyaratzofftoya San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Is this the kind of thing that typically sells out? I likely won't know until much closer to the event exactly what time on Thursday my flight will come in!

• Options
    JeppyJeppy Maple Valley WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    If this sells out I'm going to blame the scalpers since some people like to blame scalpers for anything that sells out

Jeppy on
  • Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I would like to go, but being an Enforcer I will be doing lots of set up and don't know if I will make it on time. Is it ok to be a bit late? Or is it preset courses or what not, and if you're late you miss out?
    How far from the convention center is it typically? A cab ride away, or easy walking distance?

KellyShepard087 on
    - Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    Is this the kind of thing that typically sells out? I likely won't know until much closer to the event exactly what time on Thursday my flight will come in!

Yes it does sell out. Relatively quickly too, if memory serves me right.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    kemikal wrote: »

Yes it does sell out. Relatively quickly too, if memory serves me right.
    It sold out in a week or two.
    I would like to go, but being an Enforcer I will be doing lots of set up and don't know if I will make it on time. Is it ok to be a bit late? Or is it preset courses or what not, and if you're late you miss out?
    How far from the convention center is it typically? A cab ride away, or easy walking distance?
    You can show up late. If things go like last year then we had enough for everyone to get seconds. Hell, I even fed the bar staff. If you're gonna be super giga late then I can be bribed to set some stuff aside. Assuming I go with SiS again (and I have no clue why I wouldn't) then it was buffet style so you can just walk in, grab a plate, and go nuts.

It's the same general area as the TWDT so it's just a short walk away.
    If this sells out I'm going to blame the scalpers since some people like to blame scalpers for anything that sells out
    I've already cornered the Dinner ticket scalping market. Muahahahahahahhaa!

Wait a sec...

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    kcrobinsonkcrobinson Registered User regular
    The Unicorn.

Oh wow. That would be an absolutely awesome place for PPD. I wonder how feasible it would be to rent the whole place out. The renovated area with the arcade is called the Narwhal. Perhaps it could be feasible to just reserve that area.

• Options
    @TOGSolid Thank you for the clarification. Bribery eh? I think I can come up with something...lols,
    Buffet style is cool. I went to the PPD at East last year and was so out of the loop, I arrived way late and got lost on the way. No fun.

Want to do better this time and have more fun. What's the average/ballpark cost for it?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    I can't wait for this! I've been waiting 3 years for my first pax and so far it's shaping up to be a good one!

• Options
    ShmelioShmelio Registered User regular
    @TOGSolid You could always tag some of us early birds when you put up sales. I'm definitely down for this. As you said its helpful for before TWDT

• Options
    Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    I am definitely interested in attending this year. How much was it last year?

• Options
    Agent00Agent00 Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    I am definitely interested in attending this year. How much was it last year?

$24.59

• Options
    Mr Je11ymanMr Je11yman Registered User regular
    This sounds great. And if the price is anywhere close to last years price, that is a good deal too. I read last years post, and now I am hungry, so thanks for that. :)

• Options
    ArchdukeFerdinandArchdukeFerdinand Registered User regular
    Is this typically a 21+ only thing? Just inquiring, because knowledge is power.

• Options
    It has been for a few years now. The choice always ends up being making it all ages and jacking the ticket price up or keeping it 21+ and being able to run the dinner much more cheaply because it's hard to beat the low low price of zero dollars that Barca has been charging us to host the dinner.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    i managed to get a ticket last year from James, When are this years tickets going up?

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Mighty wrote: »
    When are this years tickets going up?
    Most likely when EVERYTHING is settled (location--if not Barca--and caterers--if not SoS, or SiS or whatever it is.) So, Juneish? Julyish? Don't place your faith in that timeframe, though. TOGs is doing all that he can and we heart him for it.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    I am up for this! This was my first event/meeting of PAXers last year and it was a lot of fun!
    We sat next to two PAXers who were both polite, friendly and entertaining. It was certainly an interesting mix and perfect for impromptu conversations.

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • Options
    TarakaDarkTarakaDark Grey Warden SeattleRegistered User regular
    @TOGSolid, there is also an eatery associated with Gamma Ray Games called The Raygun Lounge, phone (206) 812-2521, at 501 E PINE ST. I know about as much about it as the Unicorn/Narwhal (next to nothing), but I figured I should mention it in case you want to look into it before the details get finalized. The Stranger reviews it here: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/the_raygun_lounge/Location?oid=14737041.

~TarakaDark
    PAX without PAX Yahoo group has been set up to organize para-PAX events:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shadowpax
  • Options
    kcrobinsonkcrobinson Registered User regular
    TarakaDark wrote: »
    @TOGSolid, there is also an eatery associated with Gamma Ray Games called The Raygun Lounge, phone (206) 812-2521, at 501 E PINE ST. I know about as much about it as the Unicorn/Narwhal (next to nothing), but I figured I should mention it in case you want to look into it before the details get finalized. The Stranger reviews it here: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/the_raygun_lounge/Location?oid=14737041.

Raygun is a board game lounge. I expect that they will be the location for many PAX gatherings, but there's no way that it would work for a night of dinner and drinks. However, now that I think about it, I should stop by and ask them if they already have anything planned for that weekend that the PAX forums would be interested in.

• Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to this again! Last year this was the first PAX event we hit and it was a blast! We are both pretty shy but sat next to some really fun people. Made the start of our first PAX the beginning of an amazing weekend!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I think I'll be able to make it for the first time! I usually go to the PPD for PAX East, but never had done so for Prime. If I do manage it, I'll hand the Forum Badges out myself :)

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    I am at work for another week so this thread will be kinda quiet till then. I plan on making some calls and looking into some non-Barca options mostly just for giggles. It can't hurt to see if I can score some place even more awesome, but it'll be highly unlikely anyone will be able to beat out Barca.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Travman93Travman93 Billings, MTRegistered User regular
    If it is friendly to those who are not yet 21, I'll be in for sure!

• Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Messaged you, but not sure if it went through.

More awesome than Barca? I can get all of you 76 stories above the city looking down at everything :P.

• Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Enjoyed last year's PPD, and looking forward to going again this year!

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    ferrouzoxzideferrouzoxzide Registered User regular
    This sounds like fun!!

• Options
    mike923mike923 Registered User regular
    Definitely interested in this, haven't been able to go the past few years.

• Options
    Is there a Twitter feed to follow for this?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    Great to see this thread. I can't wait to attend another Pre-PAX dinner followed by another drinking tournament!

camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Is there a Twitter feed to follow for this?

You can always follow me @TOGSolid. There really isn't much in the way for daily updates for this event so you're probably better off just subscribing to the thread. It looks like the state's switching around their filtering program and it's gone all wacko so I may not be able to follow this thread easily when I'm at work.

Besides, I manage four Twitter accounts as it is, I'm not sure my brain can handle a fifth. D:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ok, thanks. I shall continue monitoring this thread like a hawk.
    :)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    I've started contacting alternate potential locations (honestly mostly just for giggles) and am asking SiS about vegetarian dishes because frankly, I don't know shit about what vegetarians eat other than "not meat."

If any vegetarians want to give me some pointers on this one, that'd be great!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ferrouzoxzideferrouzoxzide Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    It has been for a few years now. The choice always ends up being making it all ages and jacking the ticket price up or keeping it 21+ and being able to run the dinner much more cheaply because it's hard to beat the low low price of zero dollars that Barca has been charging us to host the dinner.

Bummer 21+

I would really love to attend :/

ferrouzoxzide on
  • Options
    KaligKalig CalgaryRegistered User regular
    The food at the dinner place last year was so friggin' good. The polenta cakes and watermelon salad were some of the best I've ever had.