As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

God, thats so effing Metal!

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    hambone wrote: »
    Holy shit, not a single person has mentioned Lamb of God?

WTF, guys.

That they and Mastodon and Slayer all lost out to Slipknot for a Grammy is a crime against our Dark Gods. Fucking music industry.

Yeah, I was rooting for Mastodon. :(

Doc on
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really think you have to ask yourself what you want out of metal. Dethklok, despite being a parody band, did craft some pretty catchy tunes. Was it the riffage you liked? Was it the combination of the darker cartoon coupled with the music that really drilled it home? How bout the vocals? What did you like about Dethklok that makes you want to branch out more?

I prefer thrash and melodic death metal, personally. If I want straight death, it better knock me on my ass. Bands like:
    At the Gates
    Older Suffocation
    Martyr
    Anata
    Impaled Nazarene
    Soilwork
    early Fear Factory
    Spawn of Possession

ehh thats all I got for now. I'm really not that big into the Death Metal scene. I prefer Thrash metal(The Haunted!) or Melodic Death metal (Kalmah!) and lately been on good ole Power metal kick. The post above me has some popular Death metal bands, I definitely suggest Bolt Thrower.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Also, Danzig. Everyone should listen to Danzig (or Samhain or early Misfits), whether or not it's metal.

But not Black Aria. Stay away from Black Aria.

My friend just gave me a CD called Power Hor, by Lesbian. It's pretty cool.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There's probably gonna be some overlap here from the rest of the thread, but I'll give a rundown of the metal on my music list.

Anthrax
    Children of Bodom
    Cradle of Filth
    *Darkest Hour
    Dillinger Escape plan
    Disturbed (actually they are kinda shitty, I still like a couple of their songs)
    *Down (Phil Anselmo side band)
    *Dry Kill Logic
    *Fear Factory
    Hatebreed
    In Flames
    *Iron Maiden
    ***Megadeth
    Metallica
    Opeth (I personally hate them. Bought a CD to check them out though... what a waste)
    Paint it Black (maybe more of a punk band though... maybe someone else will comment)
    *Pantera
    Raised Fist (again questionable, but they are heavy)
    Sepultura
    **Slayer
    Superjoint Ritual (next phil anselmo side band)
    System of a Down (might get some flak for this one?)
    *Tragedy
    *White Zombie

Anything with a star next to it means I especially like them and recommend them.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Why isn't Lamb of God on your list?

WHY

hambone on
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ack Doc, Meshuggah completely slipped my mind. If you are looking for some really complex and precise metal, look no further than Meshuggah.

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Why isn't Lamb of God on your list?

WHY

Good question. Just haven't gotten around to getting any of their music yet.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I totally forgot about System of a Down. SOAD is definetly the best "alt" metal band out there, and there's also some decent stuff by Disturbed and Slipknot, but that's all pretty much the same and not as good as "real" metal.. Chimaria and Lamb of God both rock pretty hard too.

Ninja Bot on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm just going to go ahead and say anything on this list is to be avoided and ridiculed.

hambone on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    Bands like Hammerfall, Dragonforce, Blind Guardian, Kamelot and Helloween are plenty fun to have around, but they're pretty much completely irrelevant in terms of the sort of metal you see them parodying on Metalocalypse.

Not really. Dethklok seems like a kind of amalgam of styles to me. A lot of their tunes have a decidedly epic bent and "power" trappings, if only a nod here and there. "Thunderhorse" may as well be power metal, aside from the vocals. As a power metal fan, I find the show offers a lot of the same appeal, though I also don't find it too hard to jump styles when I'm in the mood for metal.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm just going to go ahead and say anything on this list is to be avoided and ridiculed.

I'd hardly call Alien Ant Farm nu metal.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I don't think Dry Kill Logic is that bad. I agree with you on everything else I recognize from that list though.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    KrayzieKrayzie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow guys, I didn't expect this much stuff! Thanks to everyone. It seems there's more to metal than meets the eye. My friend showed me some metal including Dimmu Borgir- Kings of Carnival Creation and Cradle of filth- Angel of Death, which I think was a cover. I liked those songs, so maybe that can narrowly define the kind of metal I wanna get into first?

What I'm gonna start with is Slayer's Reign over me. Then from there I'll gonna try to get some Emperor then look into:

In flames
    Opeth
    Mastodon
    Cradle of filth
    Iron Maiden
    Megadeth
    Cannibal Corpse
    Pantera
    Dimmu borgir

That seem like a good list? Also, the same friend who showed me those songs swears by this german band Megaherz.. anyone know anything about them?

Krayzie on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yeah "Angel of Death" is originally a Slayer song on their "Reign in Blood" album. I definitely recommend getting that album before any others.

That seems like a solid list to me.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    With Mastodon, make sure you don't buy Call of the Mastodon first. It's not a bad album at all, it just won't get you into the band the way Leviathan, Remission or Blood Mountain will. Can't go wrong with either of those three.

With Pantera, start with Vulgar Display of Power. It's a classic.

hambone on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well since we have gone off the Black/death metal I'll add a few. Black Sabbath I absolutely love this badn they are just great, System of a Down also very amazing, Killswitch Engage is good. I also like trivium but they get a lot of hate from some people. Never heard of the german band but the list looks good.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    A-RodA-Rod Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    sounds like a decent list, enough different styles so you would know what you would probably end up liking and what you wouldnt.

Unless im mistaken though the slayer song is called 'reign in blood'

A-Rod on
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd throw Blind Guardian on that list, both because they're amazing in and of themselves and because that list lacks Power Metal. Also, I'm going to buck the trend and recommend "Seasons In The Abyss" as the essential Slayer album. "Reign In Blood" is okay, but for some reason it's never struck me as being all that great in the same way the "Seasons In The Abyss" has.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    coma whitecoma white Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the song is raining blood, the album is reign in blood

also, regarding that cradle cover
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Similarly, Cradle's cover of Venom's "Black Metal" is often mis-labelled as a cover of Slayer's "Angel of Death". Cradle have covered Slayer's "Hell Awaits", but never "Angel of Death".

coma white on
    closuresig.jpg
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Amon Amarth and Kalmah are great. I've just gotten into them thanks to the last metal thread we had here and am really enjoying them.

Strapping Young Lad rocks my hairy anus.

Akercocke's Choronzon is also a great album.

EDIT: Silencer's Death - Pierce Me is also a great album. Most frightening vocals ever.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I'd hardly call Alien Ant Farm nu metal.

Why is Machine Head there? WHYS!?

But yes, Machine Head is actually worth a look too. Just avoid "The Burning Red" like the plague.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    But not Black Aria. Stay away from Black Aria.

Black Aria is good (especially considering when it came out), but it's not a metal album by any means.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I used to really enjoy Metal, but I've fallen out of it. Still, I continue to play Mastodon's Leviathan and Blood Mountain, Dream Theater (although they feel more progressive than metal), and Liquid Tension Experiment. (A side project containing a couple Dream Theater members, and the, in my opinion, legendary Tony Levin.)

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Holy shit, not a single person has mentioned Lamb of God?

WTF, guys.

That they and Mastodon and Slayer all lost out to Slipknot for a Grammy is a crime against our Dark Gods. Fucking music industry.

Yeah, I was rooting for Mastodon. :(

Like the grammys mean shit anyway. The latest Mastodon and Ministry albums were both fantastic.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm actually mistaken, because Slayer did win it in 2007, over Mastodon, Lamb of God, Ministry and Stone Sour.

Slipknot's was in '06, against Rammstein, Mudvayne, Ministry and Shadows Fall.

hambone on
  • Options
    CpgnitionCpgnition Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    blincoln wrote: »
    Older Metallica, In Flames, My Dying Bride , Trivium, God Forbid, Devildriver, Unearth.

I agree with this post, with the exception that I enjoy Slayer.

Trivium is a great band to listen to while "getting into" metal. "Devil Driver" and "The Fury of Our Maker's Hand" by Devil Driver have been a couple of my recent obsessions -- fucking brutal. I picked up a couple Strapping Young Lad albums recently, and they're quite good, I thought. Mastodon is a great band as well.

How has no one mentioned Lamb Of God? I'm pretty fucking suprised, they're probably the metal band I would recommend listening to. I have all their stuff, and fucking love it, but if you haven't listened to them before, I'd recommend starting off with "Ashes of the Wake", then their newest album "Sacrament", and then their older stuff. Seriously, if you like metal, at least give this band a listen. "Ashes of the Wake" is a god damn masterpiece.

EDIT: Oh shit, Lamb of God was mentioned on the second page, fuck. Ok, consider this post another vote for Lamb of God.

Cpgnition on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Damn right. I've seen Lamb of God live three times in the last six months.

And each time they absolutely blew me away.

hambone on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why do people like Truivium? Seriously. The worst attempt at a live act I have ever witnessed.

I'm only going to say one album that you must listen to if you're a metal fan.

At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What? Trivium was pretty good live, last time I saw them (two weeks ago). Not mind blowing, but they're a solid band.

hambone on
  • Options
    nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Trivium was very nice the last time ive seen them, though they've got effing big ego's and its showing. But there making nice music so its forgiven.

Some other favorite's of mine:
    Slayer
    My Dying Bride
    W.A.S.P if your into the older stuff,
    Necrophagist
    Amon Amarth
    As i Lay Dying
    Soilwork
    Vader
    Violent Work Of Art
    Visions Of Disorder
    Windir, if you like stuff like Finntroll and Amon Amarth
    Zao
    Agathodaimon
    Beherit

and the list goes one, these are just some of my favorites

nefyave on
    bannerpa.jpg
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Static-X needs a mention here, especially the cd "Wisconsin Death Trip".

Stormtroopers of Death, aka. S.O.D. also needs mention, especially given that the OP enjoys some silly metal. S.O.D. is a side project with members (and ex-members) of Anthrax with Billy Milano of M.O.D. singing.

Flotsam and Jetsam is one of my favorite lesser known thrash bands that I think should be checked out, too. No Place for Disgrace is a kick ass album with songs about gladiators and samurai and general badassery.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    happysharkhappyshark Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Morbid Angel
    Death
    Sepultura
    Burzum
    Nile

happyshark on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm going to back up System of a Down. Yeah, they're mainstream now, so what. I loved them when their first album came out, and still do. Their self-titled was the first track-for-track perfect album I'd ever heard.

I don't know how you'd classify them, I just know I love their music and Serj's vocals.

That's why I don't like the newer albums as much. Serj is System of a Down's voice. The other guy should stick to playing instruments.

He's good, but he's not Serj.

That said, the self-titled, and Steal This Album are their best. In my opinion at least. All of their albums have something awesome, but those two are my favorite.

Oh, and Soulfly. The above post reminded me of them. Very melodic.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    RAINING BLOOOOOOOOD, FROM A LACERATED SKY!

Definitely start with easier stuff to get into like slayer. Death metal seems to be...an acquired taste.

Though once you get into it, check out the good grindy shit

cattle decapitation
    nasum
    pig destroyer
    the red chord
    into the moat
    fuck...im dead
    etc

Good stuff

JeffH on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    At this point, I probably sound like a Pantera fanboy, but are there any other bands out there that kind of sound the same? The chunky slide guitar and Phil Anselmo's gritty type of voice?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    GinzueGinzue Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Motohead and Type O Negative give me real Pantera vibes, so you may want to look into that.

Also, can't reccomend In Flames enough, they have come so far, I adore their old stuff and love their new stuff..

Lighter Metal/rock:

Killswitch engage - Really good place to start

Edit: Oh and Trivium, a little poppy in places, but its fucking catchy

Ginzue on
    Ginzue!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    At this point, I probably sound like a Pantera fanboy, but are there any other bands out there that kind of sound the same? The chunky slide guitar and Phil Anselmo's gritty type of voice?

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember a band called "A Perfect Murder" that I think sounded like Pantera.

My memory is a little hazy... I know they are good though.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Motohead or Motorhead, Ginzue

Because if it's Motorhead

They're not very similar at all due mostly to the fact that Motorhead is a really awesome speed metal band

If you like Pantera, Phil Anselmo did a side project called Nailbomb that was pretty good. Better than most Pantera albums, anyhow.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Lamb of God doesn't sound exactly like Pantera (who does?), but I think they're really picking up where Pantera left off. They have the same kind of attitude, but without all the Southern/Texas stuff. Their song "Redneck" could easily have been on a Pantera album.

The torch being passed and all that.

If you're a Pantera fan, chances are you'll be a Lamb of God fan.

edit: can you tell I'm a Lamb of God fan?

hambone on
  • Options
    coma whitecoma white Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    it doesn't necessarily go the other way though

lamb of god is one of my favourite bands but i can barely stand pantera 90% of the time

coma white on
    closuresig.jpg