As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yay, more babby! [Kids]

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Both of my kids starting using our tablets when they were around 18 months old and my almost 4 year old's a whiz now. She actively pokes screens when she sees them, expecting them to be touch screens. Between that and our Kinect it's going to be a really tough sell when I try to introduce her to a traditional controller.

When I have kids they will be introduced to videogames via the Atari 2600 and it's joystick controller.

They will have the wrists and forearms of lumberjacks.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Fuselage you gotta post some Grady Face pics in here

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Both of my kids starting using our tablets when they were around 18 months old and my almost 4 year old's a whiz now. She actively pokes screens when she sees them, expecting them to be touch screens. Between that and our Kinect it's going to be a really tough sell when I try to introduce her to a traditional controller.

When I have kids they will be introduced to videogames via the Atari 2600 and it's joystick controller.

They will have the wrists and forearms of lumberjacks.

You have to use your hands? That's like a baby toy!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Isaac is all done with his DOC Band treatment as of today! the changes are subtle, but definitely an improvement. Glad we can stop driving an hour away for consultations.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    1wmgfzwy99pr.jpg

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    My wife decided that having normal pets just wasn't going to cut it any more. So in a couple weeks we'll be welcoming a couple of Juliana Pigs into our home. This has meant my wife has been slowly filling our house with various piggie stuff. Our youngest doesn't seem to mind in the least.

Ty4p7e6.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    1wmgfzwy99pr.jpg

That's not the corner of a rug on the floor, that's the corner of a painting on the wall.
    :astonished:

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Sometimes I feel like a real ass taking our son with us when we go to the fertility clinic. There we are with our wonderful toddler, sitting in the waiting room with childless couples trying just to get their first kid. You sit there while your kid goes tearing around the room, babbling and being cute, and 15 minutes later you cross again in the carpark when they walk past as you're strapping your kid into the car seat and they're dabbing at the tears in their eyes with tissues and doing all they can not to burst into tears right there.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    Had our first ER visit with our 8 day old today. She was born with more than normal Jaundice so getting into breast feeding hasn't been super smooth as she's very lethargic. After visiting with a public health nurse, she recommended another billirubin test so we got to spend 3 hours hanging out in the ER for it.

She's gone from 235 on Sunday to 198 today so progress is coming. Very exhausting for my wife though trying to get her to feed so we've been using mostly pumped milk + a bit of formula to supplement.

I'm also up at 2am right now because my wife was having some issues trying to sleep when no one was up with the baby. Those protective motherly instincts are ramped up!

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So there is some linkage between postpartum depression or plain 'ol depression or what have you and weaning. So like, if you're all, hey, I've gone a year after the birth and I don't seem to have gotten PPD, yay, but you're still nursing and then you wean you know...be aware, tell your friends.

My older two, I went straight from weaning -> pregnant -> nursing again and so I didn't go all the way off the rails on the crazy train until after I weaned the second one. My youngest is now just about 27 months old. He weaned maybe a month ago. If I lost all my marbles at once maybe it would be less confusing. I feel like I lose one at a time. The insomnia is kinda new though. I jump at every little noise at night too. And this has stopped for now, but I went a week at some point in the past month or two where almost every night I would hallucinate that something was falling on me, a spider, some object I couldn't recognize, and I would shoot straight up in bed. One night I was convinced something was going to fall on the 2 year old. But I have always had a problem with hypervigilance with the babies. It's almost like, as they get older and get more independence that my brain all starts going wacky, like, I don't know, sort of like when you cut the circulation off to one part of your body and then the blood goes rushing back. Sort of. Maybe in reverse.

edit: oh good, my little PSA has the Geth seal of approval.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like a real ass taking our son with us when we go to the fertility clinic. There we are with our wonderful toddler, sitting in the waiting room with childless couples trying just to get their first kid. You sit there while your kid goes tearing around the room, babbling and being cute, and 15 minutes later you cross again in the carpark when they walk past as you're strapping your kid into the car seat and they're dabbing at the tears in their eyes with tissues and doing all they can not to burst into tears right there.

We went through 4+ years of infertility issues prior to finally getting pregnant and from my experience you shouldn't feel bad at all. There were certainly moments that we had where we were upset with seeing other people's children, but it was never just simply at random kids with no direction. The ones that upset us were more relatives that couldn't handle the kids they had popping out yet another, or the families my wife worked with who already had 6 kids being paid for by the state getting pregnant again, or seeing parents out at Walmart screaming at their kids...things like that.

It's terrible to admit this, but the vast majority of times seeing people with kids bothered us it was more "Why can those people keep having kids they can't handle or appreciate and we can't just have one." And yes, it's very judgmental but frankly infertility is horribly stressful, often involves hormone adjustments, and feels like you and your spouse against the world so I think some level of anger/judging just comes with it. Seeing someone that was successful having a kid wanting a second but needing help is far from anything that would have triggered us to tears.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    personally i found seeing kids in the ivf clinic really nice. motivating, even. it can all get very dour, at times... you need that reminder of what it's all about.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    So, my cousin and her three-year-old are moving in with me next month. I guess I've got to childproof my apartment? Are there any non-obvious aspects to that?

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    So, my cousin and her three-year-old are moving in with me next month. I guess I've got to childproof my apartment? Are there any non-obvious aspects to that?

I don't know from three-year olds, but having a kid that's nine months old I have learned the following.

Children will attempt to eat anything smaller than a toaster.
    Anything with sharp corners will be used for headbutt practice.
    Anything that can be pulled over or pulled off a shelf will be, usually on top of the child.
    If an object is larger than a toaster, the child will attempt to disassemble it into smaller pieces that fit in the mouth. This includes the dog.
    Children will attempt to drown themselves in an open toilet or exposed doggy water dish.
    If you have any chemicals stored below waist height anywhere in the house move them.
    Electrical cords are the exact circumference as a child's closed fist, resulting in a surprisingly firm grip.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I don't know from three-year olds, but having a kid that's nine months old I have learned the following.

Children will attempt to eat anything smaller than a toaster.
    Anything with sharp corners will be used for headbutt practice.
    Anything that can be pulled over or pulled off a shelf will be, usually on top of the child.
    If an object is larger than a toaster, the child will attempt to disassemble it into smaller pieces that fit in the mouth. This includes the dog.
    Children will attempt to drown themselves in an open toilet or exposed doggy water dish.
    If you have any chemicals stored below waist height anywhere in the house move them.
    Electrical cords are the exact circumference as a child's closed fist, resulting in a surprisingly firm grip.

I'm printing this. Doing the childproofing this weekend here as Leah is just starting to get mobile. That rocking back and forth for minutes on end is both adorable and frightening. Soon she will be escaping the house to go out with her motorcycle driving boyfriend.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Also keep in mind that every time you prevent your child from actively doing themselves harm they will HATE you a little bit.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    At minimum fragile, dangerous things need to be stored in an area above the kid's height when standing on a chair.
    You probably want to get those plastic things that plug into outlets to keep the kid from electrocuting themselves.
    Just because doing something hurts or tastes bad, does not mean the kid will learn from the experience and stop doing the thing.
    You probably don't want to leave string and tape unattended.
    If the kid knows how to tie knots, you REALLY do not want to leave string unattended. Or fishing line.
    Check your shoes for toys before putting them on.
    Expect the kid to urinate somewhere that isn't a toilet or diaper at least once.
    Being in public does not stop small children from spontaneously stripping off their clothing.

Creagan on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

With a three year old you can be more subtle. Keep everything you don't want them into high and out of sight. This includes remote controls, video game controllers, hair styling appliances, any and all cosmetic products, wallets, scissors, and any other obvious hazards like alcohol or firearms. You are past the point of containment with a three year old, you can only hope to limit the damage and strike mutually acceptable bargains.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    This is going to be an undertaking. She's tall for her age, too! She's lucky I like her.

Dang adorable menace.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »
    You probably want to get those plastic things that plug into outlets to keep the kid from electrocuting themselves.

We tried these with both kids, and all they did was draw their attention to the outlets. Neither child gave a bare outlet a second look.

I'm certainly not saying they're a bad idea, just keep in mind that they may act as some sort of toddler homing signal.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Finally had some energy today so we couldnt resist a little photo shoot of baby Paige.

15352850891_b715542e3c_z.jpg

• Options
    Oscar loves his new baby sister. He mostly sniffs near her, but gets really concerned when she cries. He comes running to save her.
    15169558597_7a18c35809_z.jpg

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Not much time to talk, and will post a picture later. Sylvie Noelle was born at 8:59pm on Sep 23, 9 lb 5 oz and 21" long. So far my only regret is the inability to lactate so I could cover for my wife even more. Everyone is happy and healthy. Cheers!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yay, more babby!

• Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    IMG_6422.JPG

This little guy is 10 months this week, holy crap is he getting big! He's been going to play gym a lot this week, and he just rockets off to play with the other kids and the toys, not a care in the world. It makes me super happy to see such a confident kid, feels like we must be doing something right.

Congrats to all the other new parents! It's a pretty amazing feeling, raising this little person. We're already talking about when we're going to have our second, and it's very likely we'll start trying within the next 6 months.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    IKEA highchair crew!

Freddie will sit in his £14 plastic high chair for hours. Put him in the wooden one we spent close to £100 on, though, and he lasts about 5 minutes before screaming that he wants out.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I think my husband's inability to lactate was my biggest regret, too

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    I think my husband's inability to lactate was my biggest regret, too

To be fair, how hard did you really try?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Three year
    IKEA highchair crew!

Freddie will sit in his £14 plastic high chair for hours. Put him in the wooden one we spent close to £100 on, though, and he lasts about 5 minutes before screaming that he wants out.

Did you get the PEASUNHAR model?

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Three year
    IKEA highchair crew!

Did you get the PEASUNHAR model?

The only google result for that is this thread, so I have no idea!

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I keep reading that as PENUSAUR - and giggling.

• Options
    There's plenty of results for that

• Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    Taz is pretty happy in any highchair while he's eating, which is nice - he's a really easy baby to take out to restaurants, which is beneficial since we've travelled so much since he was born. We might've passed the threshold now, but for a while he'd spent more of his life away than at home!

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    This is going to be an undertaking. She's tall for her age, too! She's lucky I like her.

Dang adorable menace.

Nature makes them irresistibly adorable as a survival mechanism. Otherwise, the human race would go extinct.

That basics have already been covered, but if you're going to try to put child-proof latches on any cabinets (highly recommended for particularly dangerous cabinets that have stuff like cleaning products, etc), you'll need the magnetic kind. A 3yo will be able to open the spring-latch type easier than you can because their hands fit in the slight opening easier than your's.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I just got barf in my eyes while playing with my daughter.

First time for everything I suppose.

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    One other thing to remember when childproofing: A child's reach extends three times the length of its arm.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I apparently have a very different approach to childproofing than most parents. 90% of it is useless and the other 10% is unecessary. I think the only thing 'childproof' in our house is that the toxic chemicals, booze, and kitchen knives are high enough up they can't climb to them and so far we've been fatality free for 5 years of infants and toddlers in the house.

• Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I apparently have a very different approach to childproofing than most parents. 90% of it is useless and the other 10% is unecessary. I think the only thing 'childproof' in our house is that the toxic chemicals, booze, and kitchen knives are high enough up they can't climb to them and so far we've been fatality free for 5 years of infants and toddlers in the house.

Our approach is similar but we did put outlet covers on all the outlets and gate off the kitchen.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Okay, finally getting some breathers to maintain a semblance of normal life. This is my daughter. Unsurprisingly, she looks like most other babies.
    TVhCvEOl.jpg

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    love the beanie.

i also rate those hardwood floors in the hospital. much better than the grim, stained carpets we had.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.