As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Calling it now, River Song is Mrs. Claus

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Check out the new old TARDIS console.

Butler on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Wait

Why is there a new old TARDIS console?

EDIT: Never mind, actually bothered to read the link

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    If the article's right, it sounds like they're making one of those inside-the-set movies that shows how Doctor Who got on television.

• Options
    Oh shit

It's finally happened

So many people said this day would never come but IT HAS

YOU READY FOR THIS SHIT
    369937_lalt.jpg
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

• Options
    edited July 2013
    And finally (season 7 spoiler):
    Called it 8-) (along with eight million other people)

Butler on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Well, technically that quote doesn't completely rule out...
    John Hurt being an aged 8th Doctor. But yeah, 8.5 seems more likely.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    :\

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

I don't see how that is possible? Isn't that not how it works?

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

In the latest episode
    He mentions that John Hurt falls outside the rules/vows he made as The Doctor. So it's not who he is. So it seems like they're using that as a technicality that he isn't The Doctor even though he...is?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I dont think there is any possible way to accurately speculate how he
    is and/or isnt the doctor

Its just going to come down to the special itself. I mean i could think of a lot of ways they could do it....
    somehow 8.5's timeline is contained within the timelock on gallifrey, or his timeline phases out of existence but is somehow still present within the doctors overall timeline....or somehow the title of the "doctor" is more than just a title and actually binds the doctor somehow, and by renouncing the name of the doctor he was able to do whatever he did

Like the speculation can go on and on and on and on

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »

In the latest episode
    He mentions that John Hurt falls outside the rules/vows he made as The Doctor. So it's not who he is. So it seems like they're using that as a technicality that he isn't The Doctor even though he...is?
    I'd just thought that particular regeneration had basically been disowned

you are not my son etc

• Options
    Seriously wrote: »

In the latest episode
    I'd just thought that particular regeneration had basically been disowned

you are not my son etc

Pretty much.

• Options
    It does make you wonder, with The Valeyard referred to as coming "between his twelfth and final" regenerations, if there isn't something similar going on there.

i.e. 12 regenerates to The Valeyard, who then regenerates to 13.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    From the official DW YouTube channel:

http://youtu.be/FGC_DRgbc6I

????

Butler on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    O...kay? Are there any more of those videos?

• Options
    Nope! My money is on it being a promotion for a new Fourth Doctor boxset, which maybe includes those cards and the sonic.

• Options
    I would lay money down on that if my pay hadn't recently been halved. As it is, I'm having to reconsider importing the Regeneration box set.

Totally getting the Bluray of Spearhead from Space, though.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular

In the latest episode
    The plot twist is that 8.5 never finished medical school GASP

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

In the latest episode
    The plot twist is that 8.5 never finished medical school GASP

Dentist Who

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I powered through Season 7 this weekend

my thoughts:

Angels Take Manhattan was the saddest thing.

Clara is wonderful and charming and I love her.

I love The Doctor's little 1800s team with Strax and the lizard lady whose name I forget.

I am very excited for the 50th special, that season finale was killer.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    How you forgetting Madam Vastra and Jenny?

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    50th Anniversary Speculation based on guest stars:
    So do we think David Tennant will be portraying the "real" (ie. full Time Lord) Tenth Doctor who appears due to timey-wimey reasons, or will he be playing the copy (half-human) Doctor who lives in the parallel universe with Rose?

The fact that Rose is also appearing has me leaning towards the parallel universe one (and a deleted scene was supposed to establish he was going to be growing his own brand-new TARDIS), but the whole "Doctor's Timestream" thing does open up an easy return of the "real" Tenth Doctor.

The "real" one's arrival could be explained much easier due to the Timestream stuff, but since Rose is with him that implies he would be taken from around the point of Series 2 and could potentially create some plotholes of some kind depending on what he or Rose do and what they learn.

The copy's arrival would require a little more explanation, but his presence after that wouldn't really cause any problems and they could do whatever they wanted without having to worry about if there will be plotholes to fill.

This is assuming that we will actually be seeing Ten and Eleven team-up and coexist at the same time for a while, and not that they are doing something silly like degenerating Eleven back into Ten (though I guess this would be their best opportunity to do that...ie. Something like John Hurt wants a second chance at life so he is somehow manipulating the Doctor's Timestream in an attempt to degenerate him back to 8.5 but he gets stopped after only degenerating him to Ten).

Speaking of that parallel universe, shouldn't it have it's own version of the Doctor flying around somewhere? Or should we just assume he died during his Ninth incarnation because there was no Rose for him to meet?

Lars on
  • Options
    So do we think David Tennant will be portraying the "real" (ie. full Time Lord) Tenth Doctor who appears due to timey-wimey reasons, or will he be playing the copy (half-human) Doctor who lives in the parallel universe with Rose?

The fact that Rose is also appearing has me leaning towards the parallel universe one (and a deleted scene was supposed to establish he was going to be growing his own brand-new TARDIS), but the whole "Doctor's Timestream" thing does open up an easy return of the "real" Tenth Doctor.

The "real" one's arrival could be explained much easier due to the Timestream stuff, but since Rose is with him that implies he would be taken from around the point of Series 2 and could potentially create some plotholes of some kind depending on what he or Rose do and what they learn.

The copy's arrival would require a little more explanation, but his presence after that wouldn't really cause any problems and they could do whatever they wanted without having to worry about if there will be plotholes to fill.

This is assuming that we will actually be seeing Ten and Eleven team-up and coexist at the same time for a while, and not that they are doing something silly like degenerating Eleven back into Ten (though I guess this would be their best opportunity to do that...ie. Something like John Hurt wants a second chance at life so he is somehow manipulating the Doctor's Timestream in an attempt to degenerate him back to 8.5 but he gets stopped after only degenerating him to Ten).

Speaking of that parallel universe, shouldn't it have it's own version of the Doctor flying around somewhere? Or should we just assume he died during his Ninth incarnation because there was no Rose for him to meet?
    Ten and Eleven are appearing in at least a handful of scenes together, and Ten's TARDIS exterior has been photographed on-set, so I presume it's Ten and Rose from somewhere during series 2. Moffat did write Time Crash and the implication in it that past Doctors do remember their encounters with their future selves, so he'll probably make sure it fits in with series 2. Probably.

And in other news, what the hell are you doing to Turlough, @Butler?

tumblr_lxmau2Rn7q1qcwhkeo1_500.gif

• Options
    It's perfectly innocent! I was merely performing a Time Lord spinal realignment technique to fix his lower back pain. Poor fellow strained himself when we were getting out of the jacuzzi the night before.

... what?

• Options
    I want to believe you, but...

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »

Ten and Eleven are appearing in at least a handful of scenes together, and Ten's TARDIS exterior has been photographed on-set, so I presume it's Ten and Rose from somewhere during series 2. Moffat did write Time Crash and the implication in it that past Doctors do remember their encounters with their future selves, so he'll probably make sure it fits in with series 2. Probably.

And in other news, what the hell are you doing to Turlough, @Butler?

tumblr_lxmau2Rn7q1qcwhkeo1_500.gif

Be that as it may I refuse
    To accept that Handy wont factor into things. Why leave that little dangling thread if not for this exact situation.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I recently read the expanded version of The Writer's Tale, and it very much seemed like RTD writing Rose going off with Handy was a way of closing the dangling thread of Rose and Ten. They go off and have a happy life in another universe that's now closed off from ours. I really don't think we'll see Handy again.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Butler wrote: »
    Nope! My money is on it being a promotion for a new Fourth Doctor boxset, which maybe includes those cards and the sonic.

Confirmed!

Butler on
  • Options
    I think it says something about me that the thing that most excites me about that box set is the new post-regenerative Four figurine (big photos!).

Fake edit: How did they get his face so wrong after they got it so right so many times?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    David Bradley as William Hartnell in "An Adventure In Space And Time".

_68664245_aventures-in-space-and-time_final_4482503_4482493.jpg

Full story here.

Butler on
  • Options
    SFDebris discusses all possible answers for the Question at the end of last season.

http://sfdebris.com/videos/doctorwho/dwjh.asp

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I thought the finale made it pretty clear that the answer is pretty irrelevant

• Options
    Oh, sorry
    I misinterpreted what you meant by the Question

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I thought the finale made it pretty clear that the answer is pretty irrelevant

I think you might have assumed that I was talking about "DOctor Who?" when really I was trying to be diplomatic and non-spoilery. The question is
    What is up with John Hurts Doctor?

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah sorry, I had a followup post

• Options
    so we just got to the gas mask episode, I am kind of digging this show but not for the reasons that (in my mind) other people like it?

I'm much, much more interested in the stereotypical dumb mom and boyfriend turning out to be interesting characters, and Rose travelling with the Doctor being increasingly problematic, than I am in whatever they are actually doing.

• Options
    I guess I really enjoy the show constantly saying "hey look at this guy, isn't he fun and charismatic and he has a time machine, don't you want to be his friend too?"

"actually you probably don't, he's kind of a huge selfish dick"

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I dont think there is any possible way to accurately speculate how he
    is and/or isnt the doctor

Its just going to come down to the special itself. I mean i could think of a lot of ways they could do it....
    somehow 8.5's timeline is contained within the timelock on gallifrey, or his timeline phases out of existence but is somehow still present within the doctors overall timeline....or somehow the title of the "doctor" is more than just a title and actually binds the doctor somehow, and by renouncing the name of the doctor he was able to do whatever he did

Like the speculation can go on and on and on and on
    "The Doctor" being more than just a title and some magical/mythical thing would be so dumb.

I'd prefer the metaphorical explanation, where the current Doctor doesn't consider him a "proper" Doctor (even though he technically still is) simply because of the things he did.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Doctor Who and the companions Moms are kind of weird.

I feel like even though people find Jackie annoying, she was more supportive of Rose compared to the other wackos. There are times where she definitely tries to talk Rose out of it, but at least she's not Martha's fucking mother.

• Options
    Doctor Who and the companions Moms are kind of weird.

I feel like even though people find Jackie annoying, she was more supportive of Rose compared to the other wackos. There are times where she definitely tries to talk Rose out of it, but at least she's not Martha's fucking mother.

but she's also completely right to talk her out of it! From a parental point of view, this is a bad decision. She's 19 and traipsing around with someone who walks into death on a weekly basis.

From a narrative standpoint, Rose has to go, but the way the show gives the other characters reasonable and correct arguments as to why she shouldn't get to have fun is really good, I think. They're not killjoys.

This discussion has been closed.