As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Console Wars-The Good Ol' Days

1101112131416»

• Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I got a genesis first.

Then I saw super mario world, supermario world 2, and supermetroid, and I came to conclude I made the wrong choice.

Of course, today, this isn't a big deal, what with the VC, ebay, and "other" methods. But still, if I could change which system I got, I probably would.

You're dead to me. HEAR ME?!? DEAD!!!
    Anyway, 25 here. In a tale of irony, my 360 died a couple nights. Guess what game was so demanding that it forced 360 to give up on life?
    Sonic Mega Collection. Sonic 1 to be precise. I was in the Scrap Brain zone, too. I've never beaten it on a console, either.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    I got a genesis first.

Then I saw super mario world, supermario world 2, and supermetroid, and I came to conclude I made the wrong choice.

Of course, today, this isn't a big deal, what with the VC, ebay, and "other" methods. But still, if I could change which system I got, I probably would.

Anyway, 25 here. In a tale of irony, my 360 died a couple nights. Guess what game was so demanding that it forced 360 to give up on life?
    Sonic Mega Collection. Sonic 1 to be precise. I was in the Scrap Brain zone, too. I've never beaten it on a console, either.
    That's one of my favorite zones in all of Sonic. Those buzzsaws that come out of nowhere mess you up good.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I got a genesis first.

You think it might be because the 360 rejected such a crappy game? :P

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    I got a genesis first.

That's one of my favorite zones in all of Sonic. Those buzzsaws that come out of nowhere mess you up good.
    Most people would consider buzzsaws that come out of nowhere crappy level design.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    I got a genesis first.

Most people would consider buzzsaws that come out of nowhere crappy level design.

Or a good reflex test.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I got a genesis first.

Or a good reflex test.
    Only a segatard would think that.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Ok..?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The Super Mario World series is completely logical in the enemies and traps.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Or a good reflex test.

Only someone who's sloth-like reflexes were honed on slow Mario games would think that!

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pudidispudidis Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    I think it's really cool how talking about those days bring out those heated discussions again.

Anyhoo, as for me, I grew up in a Nintendo environment, myself, because my parents thought that Sonic was the work of the devil, getting kids dizzy with his insane speed. I always wanted a Genesis as a kid, but never got one.
    So I got one a few weeks ago. Fun times!

pudidis on
    Wii code / MP3 : 4041 7968 3848 5858
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    pudidis wrote: »
    I think it's really cool how talking about those days bring out those heated discussions again.

Anyhoo, as for me, I grew up in a Nintendo environment, myself, because my parents thought that Sonic was the work of the devil, getting kids dizzy with his insane speed. I always wanted a Genesis as a kid, but never got one.
    So I got one a few weeks ago. Fun times!

take THAT, parents!! oooh, sic burn

Guek on
  • Options
    ZetaZeta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I got a SNES for Christmas when I was 6. I had been saving every penny I had for years to get one myself. So I went out the next day and bought a genesis. Best Christmas break I have ever had. Even at the tender age of 6, I realized a good game was a good game. I didn't give a fuck what system it was for.

Zeta on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You are one clever son of a bitch Zeta. Wish I'd done that.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Damn, I bought a bike with my Christmas money...

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Monaro wrote: »

Or a good reflex test.

Only someone who's sloth-like reflexes were honed on slow Mario games would think that!

Mario requires more reflex than Sonic. In Sonic, any retard could beat it thanks to the fact that you could always get one ring when you were hit. In Mario, being hit meant something!

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Or a good reflex test.

Mario requires more reflex than Sonic. In Sonic, any retard could beat it thanks to the fact that you could always get one ring when you were hit. In Mario, being hit meant something!

Yeah, that you have slow reflexes :P

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Or a good reflex test.

I dare you try getting through a castle with slow reflexes, tardboy.

Couscous on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That Luddite Sonic. What an asshole, ruining progress like that. Mario, he rolls with the changes, keeps up with the times.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Or a good reflex test.

Haha, sorry, already gotten through them. My Sega-honed reflexes held me in good stead. Thanks for the offer anyway. Glad you got a challenge out of them though!

[edit] Too right harvest. I'd be happy if Sonic died with Sonic & Knuckles. It's been a balls-up ever since. Actually struggling to think of any 16-bit Sega franchise that survived the era with grace. Ecco, umm.. that's it to my mind. Any others have had too many bad-to-mediocre titles. Maybe that's why I can only think of Ecco - it's only had the one release, not enough time to ruin it.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Or a good reflex test.

Haha, sorry, already gotten through them. My Sega-honed reflexes held me in good stead. Thanks for the offer anyway. Glad you got a challenge out of them though!
    Ha! You probably beat the first castle and thought that was the end of the game because you are used to really short ass games.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Not quite. I got to the end of the first castle and tried plugging in Yoshi's Island to get the second part. Apparently the SNES doesn't have such advanced lock-on technology.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zeta wrote: »
    I got a SNES for Christmas when I was 6. I had been saving every penny I had for years to get one myself. So I went out the next day and bought a genesis. Best Christmas break I have ever had. Even at the tender age of 6, I realized a good game was a good game. I didn't give a fuck what system it was for.

BOTH CONSOLES?

Gentlemen, there is a god that walks among us!

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I got a genesis first.

Clearly the 360 is too weak to handle Blast Processing.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

BOTH CONSOLES?

shall we ask if we can go to his birthday party?

LewieP on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

BOTH CONSOLES?

Only if it's a sleepover.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

BOTH CONSOLES?

Only if it's a sleepover.

but this time I am bringing my own sleeping bag

LewieP on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd sleep on the goddamn carpet if someone could give me a pillow.

I've actually done that several times, and often for game-related experiences, too. Help.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    eaglearchereaglearcher Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ahh... Snes and Top Gear. The very reason my High School project goes no where, since my group decide to play Top Gear rather than finish the presentation.

eaglearcher on
  • Options
    BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Sonic was always the best in 2D. Not anymore however. Jesus Christ what happened to Sega?

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    Sonic was always the best in 2D. Not anymore however. Jesus Christ what happened to Sega?

Of course he was best in 2D. They'll never be a full 3D game - are you mental? The MegaDrive is the most powerful machine mankind can ever create. Thats why they can only make add ons I heard.

I know it's true because David Jeffs dad works for a computer company and he said so. He also said the next sonic would be full real time FMV !
    FACT!

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Ok...but i was being serious...Sonic 2D was the best...don't even get me started on Sonic CD.

BladeofTheImmortal on