As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Console Wars-The Good Ol' Days

NickleNickle Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
I was reminded by the announcement of 'Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games' (Mario and Sonic, in the same game?!?:shock:) of what I consider the best time to be a gamer, the early 90's. I remember the block I lived on being completely seperated into 'SNES owners' and 'Genesis owners'. I fell into the SNES group, and completely despised Sega, and all of the games released for the system. We would constantly bicker over the positives and negatives of each system, and at times it actually tested our friendships. As an adult, I've been using the Wii's VC to play some of the Genesis games I missed, but the kid inside me still wants to dislike them. Old habits die hard.

I think the 'console wars' of today have nothing on the fight between the SNES and Genesis. Back then we actually saw mud-slinging between the two opponents, whereas now it's mainly kept tongue-in-cheek. These days there's more incentive for a gamer to own multiple consoles, as opposed to the clean divide we saw with the 16-bit era.

So, what side of the fence were you on? Did you take a side, did you own both, or did you own neither? I'm wondering if my block was just full of freaks.

Please try to refrain from discussion of 'this gen', since it hasn't really even come into its own yet.

Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
Nickle on

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GENESIS DOES

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    needs more blast processing

LewieP on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I stayed with Sega until the bitter end. Genesis over SNES, Sega CD over N64, Saturn over Playstation, Dreamcast over PS2.

Not that it did much good, but I was pretty much a Sega person from the moment I first played Sonic. I played other systems here and there, but my love for the Sega CD pretty much had me hooked for life.

And I despised Nintendo for what they did to their reputation during the Night Trap/Mortal Kombat congress stupidity.

I've never been able to completely respect that company since then.

For the misinformed, they happily provided congress with media of violent Sega games, claiming that they were the 'family' company.

Then they turned around and released a near arcade-perfect version of MKII for the SNES. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Nintendo didn't deserve to win, and part of me still thinks they don't.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    needs more blast processing

SEGA!

And the freaky Sega ads with bugs on people's tongues.

etoychest on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I stayed with Sega until the bitter end. Genesis over SNES, Sega CD over N64, Saturn over Playstation, Dreamcast over PS2.

Not that it did much good, but I was pretty much a Sega person from the moment I first played Sonic. I played other systems here and there, but my love for the Sega CD pretty much had me hooked for life.

And I despised Nintendo for what they did to their reputation during the Night Trap/Mortal Kombat congress stupidity.

I've never been able to completely respect that company since then.

For the misinformed, they happily provided congress with media of violent Sega games, claiming that they were the 'family' company.

Then they turned around and released a near arcade-perfect version of MKII for the SNES. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Nintendo didn't deserve to win, and part of me still thinks they don't.

I hopped on the Sega bandwagon during the Sega Master System days and I still haven't hopped off.

I miss my old Sega friends. Opa Opa come back to me!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had both. I had a Sega Genesis with a really big awesome collection that I (beeged my parents to) picked up towards the end of the system's life, and later a SNES that some other kid was just giving away because he got an N64 for Christmas.

Still, I liked Sega better right up until the Dreamcast died, and then was a PC gamer for a while until I decided to "broaden my horizons" and "experiment in college" and all that.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was forced by parents to be an Amiga kid and I had no way of saving up enough money to get a Megadrive or SNES. They bought me a CD32 though. And Rise of the Robots.

Now I look back, I think my parents hated me.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I never caught onto the Master System, so I was a little late. I did remember playing Alex Kidd at a Toys'R'Us kiosk and really liking it, but I was never able to get one.

I was lucky to have an NES. I made it up for it with the Genesis. Sonic, Streets of Rage... I loved that system, but by the time the Sega CD came out, I was deprived of that system for so long that it drove me crazy. For all the wrong reasons, probably(I really loved Night Trap), but I was still obsessed with it.

And Lunar justified everything when I finally got one. That game's still the definitive reason to own a Sega CD.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    God... I remember when the power of a gaming console was judged by how well it played DOOM.

Those were the days.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was a big Sega fan for the longest time...

Grade School some time in grade 6, I remember going to school with a new toy.

Friend "Wow Shane! What kind of Gameboy is that?!"
    Me "It's not a Gameboy, it's a Gamegear. It has better graphics then a Gameboy and a color screen!"
    Friend "That's amazing! What else can it do?
    Me "Well I can get an adapter for it and watch TV.... shit the battery just died..."
    Friend "Oh, I have some double A batteries in my back pack how many do you need?"
    Me "Six."
    Friend (: O)
    Me (: O)
    Janitor (: O)

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GENESIS DOES

CD32 - TO BE THIS GOOD WILL TAKE SEGA AGES

Heh. This was a sign Commodore posted right outside Sega's London offices, a play on the Sega Ages ad campaign in Europe, and mocking Sega for having disappointed their fans with a recent announcement that their 32-bit machine was some way off yet. God, what I would've done to get a picture of this sign.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    God... I remember when the power of a gaming console was judged by how well it played DOOM.

Those were the days.

Yeah, and the 32X version still wasn't as good as the PC's.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hell, I even picked up a 32X. Came to regret it sure, but Star Wars Arcade, Knuckles' Chaotix (an underrated game if ever there was one) and a much improved (over the Mega Drive version) Mortal Kombat 2 made me happy for a little while.

Never did get to play Kolibri, though. Sadness.

EDIT: the 32X introduced me to Virtua Fighter and thus will always hold a special place in my heart.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I never caught onto the Master System, so I was a little late. I did remember playing Alex Kidd at a Toys'R'Us kiosk and really liking it, but I was never able to get one.

I was lucky to have an NES. I made it up for it with the Genesis. Sonic, Streets of Rage... I loved that system, but by the time the Sega CD came out, I was deprived of that system for so long that it drove me crazy. For all the wrong reasons, probably(I really loved Night Trap), but I was still obsessed with it.

And Lunar justified everything when I finally got one. That game's still the definitive reason to own a Sega CD.

I too love my Sega CD. I thought it was the coolest shit ever.

Even today, when people talk bad about it, I shake my head. I STILL think it's badass. It was so unique and weird... I love that system. The intro music is forever engraved in my mind.

I'll never call that system a failure. Something that fun can't be a failure.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GENESIS DOES
    you can't do this on Nintendo!

And let's not forget the fallen soldiers.

jtposele6.jpg

EDIT: I fell on the Nintendo side at first, but I later got over myself and bought a Genesis almost solely to play Shining Force I and II and the (IMO) superior version of NBA Jam.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    GENESIS DOES

jtposele6.jpg

Why do people keep bringing up Johnny Turbo? He wasn't that cool.

Bonk, and later Zonk... now those are where it's at.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Dinosaur_NeilDinosaur_Neil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    moonwalker was the best game EVER, that and what was it called altered beast?

Dinosaur_Neil on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This topic needs talk about Toejam & Earl. And Wonderboy. And Streets of Rage. And Decap Attack. And Ecco the Dolphin. And Dynamite Heddy. And Sonic 3 & Knuckles. and Sonic CD. And Snatcher. And Lunar: TSS.

Man I loved the early 90's so fucking much.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    GENESIS DOES

jtposele6.jpg

And why was he using Sherlock Holmes as an example?

Really, if you're going to cite an FMV game, at least use the classics.

nt5.jpg

Ground Zero Texas, Double Switch, Ecco, Sonic, Panic!, Masked Rider, Popful Mail, Lunar: Eternal Blue(one of the most amazingly improved-on sequels ever)... there's upwards of a dozen games I love for that system.

It's easier to get Monkey Island for it, too, which is why I have that version.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    GENESIS DOES

jtposele6.jpg

And why was he using Sherlock Holmes as an example?

Really, if you're going to cite an FMV game, at least use the classics.

nt5.jpg

It was among the first FMV games released, and was the only that was on both the Turbo Duo and the Sega CD at the time.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I can't be the only sane person who knows that the SNES was better than the Genesis in every way, can I? :P

psst:

Super Mario World (which I maintain has more polish than any Genesis game ever released, period.)
    Super Metroid
    Final Fantasy VI
    Yoshi's Island
    Mortal Kombat (blood or not, compare both versions side to side)
    Super Street Fighter II
    Starfox
    Uniracers
    Contra III

The list goes on and on. Sure, the Genesis had blast processing, but only because it's hard to tell how crappy the game looks when it's moving by in a blur. :P

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I still remember my tray-loading Sega CD that came with Sherlock Holmes and that music sampler CD with all the wacky visuals on it. I also had the original, unedited Night Trap; so immensely hokey, but at the time I was all :shock: ZOMG GRAFFIX! A friend of mine also got Double Switch, but I couldn't get into that one.

And yes, the entire system was validated solely for Snatcher. It was in that era that I lost most of my fanboyism, when I realized I could have the best of both worlds. Nintendo still had my main loyalty, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I've never played Snatcher, but I have this weird knack for always missing the game people consider the most absolutely important.
    (I do have Rise of the Dragon though, which seems to look pretty similar.)

The Sega CD was all about Lunar for me. And the Saturn: Dragon Force. Never got into Panzer Dragoon at all.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm with you Nickle, Mega Drive was superb, but looking back now, it's hard for me to come to any comclusion other than the SNES was vastly superior, if just for the range and quality of the library.

LewieP on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Nickle wrote: »
    I can't be the only sane person who knows that the SNES was better than the Genesis in every way, can I? :P

psst:

Super Mario World (which I maintain has more polish than any Genesis game ever released, period.)
    Super Metroid
    Final Fantasy VI
    Yoshi's Island
    Super Street Fighter II
    Starfox
    Uniracers
    Contra III

The list goes on and on. Sure, the Genesis had blast processing, but only because it's hard to tell how crappy the game looks when it's moving by in a blur. :P

Fuck.

We were having a legitamate discussion, and you had to GameFaqs it up, didn't you?

Why are you blocking our joy?

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The Sonic series has more style, more complexity, and more polish than Super Mario world.

And please...

Gunstar Heroes
    Wonderboy in Monsterworld
    Lunar: The Silver Star
    Shining Force II
    Phantasy Star IV
    Mortal Kombat (Yeah, lets compare both side by side... the genesis version retained extra frames of animation and played smoother)
    Eternal Champions
    Virtua Racing
    Contra Hard Corps
    Dynamite Heddy

And hundreds of other, AAA games. How amazing is it that a system that could push thousands of less colors, and was released 3 years prior, could keep foot and foot with a graphics whoring machine like the SNES? Just testiment to how on point the Genesis was.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I remember getting into an argument with one of my friends about the Genesis and SNES. He told me that Sonic was lame and could be on the SNES and for some reason that made me all angry. I got suspended that day.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

psst:

Super Metroid
    Final Fantasy VI
    Yoshi's Island
    Super Street Fighter II
    Starfox
    Uniracers
    Contra III

Fuck.

We were having a legitamate discussion, and you had to GameFaqs it up, didn't you?

That's just how I smurf.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Mortal Kombat was the game that made the wars bloodier than ever, at least among gamers. There was no end to the arguing about which version was better.

I didn't have either, but there was no question I liked the Genesis one more.

Decapitation > freezing

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

psst:

Super Metroid
    Final Fantasy VI
    Yoshi's Island
    Super Street Fighter II
    Starfox
    Uniracers
    Contra III

Fuck.

Er, I think he's joking.

This is a discussion on the 90's console war. Let comments like the above fly proud, they're what made the early 90's war so fucking great.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Mortal Kombat (Yeah, lets compare both side by side... the genesis version retained extra frames of animation and played smoother)

It would help it the sprites were big enough to see the animation. :lol:

I feel like a kid again.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I've never played Snatcher, but I have this weird knack for always missing the game people consider the most absolutely important.
    (I do have Rise of the Dragon though, which seems to look pretty similar.)

The Sega CD was all about Lunar for me. And the Saturn: Dragon Force. Never got into Panzer Dragoon at all.
    Rise of the Dragon was rather similar, except Snatcher didn't have those frustrating side-scrolling segments and I don't think it was possible to die or fuck up. It was also more "anime stylized" as opposed to "harsh and gritty," and it just had a lot more personality overall.

And the original Lunar still holds my heart as one of the best RPGs of that era. It didn't really hold up for me, though, when I went back to Silver Star Saga with that PS1 remix/remaster. In that time and place, though, I adored Lunar.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Guys, quality of a console is clearly directly proportional to the amount of buttons on the controller

(I h'actually heard that arguement once...)

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I feel like a kid again.

Enjoy your "sweat."

And the awesome sight of Subzero freezing his opponent... then uppercutting him to unconciousness!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Heck I prefer the SNES just because the Genesis controller was a rinky dink piece of junk.

Also: have you seen the framerate on toejam and earl? I mean, seriously. You poor Genesis fans had a terrible childhood.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I feel like a kid again.

Enjoy your "sweat."

And the awesome sight of Subzero freezing his opponent... then uppercutting him to unconciousness!
    I was an SNES man and even I have to concede that the Genesis MK was far better. It was uglier but way smoother and, yeah, blood.

ABACABB!

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I feel like a kid again.

Enjoy your "sweat."

At least I didn't have to buy a new controller to play my copy. :P

Nickle on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Sonic series has... and more polish than Super Mario world.

!

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Here's an interesting view for anyone wanting to know more about the Night Trap/Mortal Kombat congress debacle.

A documentary about the making of Night Trap, and how the political uproar was much ado over absolutely nothing.

That game was kid's stuff compared to the titles causing issues today, but it's important to remember that this pretty much lead to the ESRB being formed, and Night Trap, bad game or not, was what really got people in an uproar over video game violence.

Sure didn't stop Nintendo from trying to cash in. (And succeeding, if memory serves)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rohan wrote: »
    The Sonic series has... and more polish than Super Mario world.

!

Just as a sidenote SonicRetard, have you played Super Mario World?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg