As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two Best Friends Play

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I love Liam and Woolie now. Yeah! Naoto bros!

New respect for Liam throwing down that sick burn on his way out.
    Rise sucks, Pat. Just give up.

Chie 5ever, but I can respect Naoto, and there's a good chance I would have picked her if she'd become available earlier in the game.

Pat's waifu is bad and he should feel bad

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    I love Liam and Woolie now. Yeah! Naoto bros!

New respect for Liam throwing down that sick burn on his way out.
    Rise sucks, Pat. Just give up.

Chie 5ever, but I can respect Naoto, and there's a good chance I would have picked her if she'd become available earlier in the game.

Pat's waifu is bad and he should feel bad
    Much respect for Clan Chie.

In the Waifu Wars, I fault no one for swearing their allegiance to her house.

"Chie comes preinstalled on the roof!"

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I just got to that part of the podcast, and BOY did your post confuse me before I got the context

So wait, Woolie picked Chie (YEAH!), so why's he a Naoto bro?

EDIT: Oh, I got a little further in, and he says he would have gone with Naoto if not for Kanji

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Rise is a great character.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    If you go after Naoto you are a bad person.

Naoto and Kanji 4ever.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Naoto's so frustrating cause I thought the romance S.link would
    let me have a LGBT relationship in a JRPG, and instead that's the route that has her decide she's female after all and all that Shadow Self stuff was just noise, thank you Sempai you have cured my gays. And if you don't romance her, she stays the course and probably ends up transitioning after all. >:I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I just got to that part of the podcast, and BOY did your post confuse me before I got the context

So wait, Woolie picked Chie (YEAH!), so why's he a Naoto bro?
    My bad, I just got to the waifu stuff right after posting that.

Still though, like Pat said, mentally he cheated on Chie. Still counts!
    If you go after Naoto you are a bad person.

Naoto and Kanji 4ever.
    Kanji only likes Naoto becuase she dresses like a dude. :p

He's more likely to wind up with Yu or Yosuke. Possibly in the middle of the night in a sleeping tent.
    Naoto was never supposed to come across as gay. She disguised herself because she wanted to be taken more seriously because despite being brilliant, everyone she would seek respect from in the life of her dreams would deny her everything becuase she was a woman. She already struggles and emotionally becomes drained because of how they treated her as a young teenager. She would never amount to anything and have to fight with everything to gain so little.

Her shadow was the tragedy of how her entire identity as a woman is suppressed and how she feels it has to be to pursue her passion. She believes she is the perfect detective and that her gender is abit of a cursed thing for her becuase it's a giant obstacle. She wants to be a man because it's easier not becuase she's attracted to women.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    let me have a LGBT relationship in a JRPG, and instead that's the route that has her decide she's female after all and all that Shadow Self stuff was just noise, thank you Sempai you have cured my gays. And if you don't romance her, she stays the course and probably ends up transitioning after all. >:I

I think it's stated that it's not that Naoto wants to be male, but rather, she wants to be the ideal detective, and society and the media she grew up with have pushed the idea that that ideal detective is male. Consequently, she felt like that meant she had to be male in order to reach her ideal, but she ultimately realizes that that isn't the solution to her problem. Her shadow self wasn't noise. It did express her thoughts at the time.

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Professor FuzzlesProfessor Fuzzles Not a furry, just sayin' FuzztopiaRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Does Woolie have some weird Canadian accent, or is he just horrible at pronouncing words correctly?

Cayman Rider, Ar-can-a, I know I've noticed it plenty of other times.

Woolie is either originally from or spent a few years in Grenada not sure which but he has talked about living there in the past on LP's and the podcast so that might account for it.
    Liam I have no idea though.
    Saying that I haven't noticed it at all.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I think it's stated that it's not that Naoto wants to be male, but rather, she wants to be the ideal detective, and society and the media she grew up with have pushed the idea that that ideal detective is male. Consequently, she felt like that meant she had to be male in order to reach her ideal, but she ultimately realizes that that isn't the solution to her problem. Her shadow self wasn't noise. It did express her thoughts at the time.

I admit I was projecting my expectations for the character onto her, it just feels like a bait and switch, when it's actually a legit interesting story in it's own right. Like, I found Naoto's S.link super interesting anyway. But I'd have liked the other angle more, y'know?

ANYWAY! Not decided on which P3P ladyfriend is the best yet. But I'm getting the terrible impression that EVERY S.link with female characters is a romance route, and not optional. I don't want to be a heartbreaker. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    There is absolutely no negative ramifications to romancing every single one of them, and in all honesty Yu Narukami's swag barely reaches the pimpin' heights that Makoto Yuki does

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

I admit I was projecting my expectations for the character onto her, it just feels like a bait and switch, when it's actually a legit interesting story in it's own right. Like, I found Naoto's S.link super interesting anyway. But I'd have liked the other angle more, y'know?
    Yeah, Naoto's issues always came across to me as more about gender roles and privilege than about gender identity, but the story could have included that instead or in addition to what was there, without requiring any drastic alterations.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Yeah, Naoto's issues always came across to me as more about gender roles and privilege than about gender identity, but the story could have included that instead or in addition to what was there, without requiring any drastic alterations.

Yeah, it's just a thing that Japanese media seems to do a lot, and it gets annoying. You get a character that appears to be trans, except it turns out they're not and they're cross-dressing for some other motive. People might end up thinking that's how trans people are, perpetuating one of their most harmful stereotypes that they're just trying to deceive people.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I came home from the gym tonight expecting fisticuffs. Where are they? Where are the fisticuffs?

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Canadians hire people to literally put groceries in bags? I thought it must mean something else.

• Options
    I really need to hear that Woolie has started SMT IV. My go at the game was coincidentally almost in perfect sync with his podcast updates on it. I kinda want a JRPG Play-Along-With-Woolie to be a thing. I would settle for a book club.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Still listening to last week's Personacast, Woolie does it a few more times, and they comment on it. Palate and necromancer.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Kind of been wanting to watch the Jojo edition of Friday Night Fisticuffs but I've been afraid to.

Do they talk a lot about spoilers?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Kind of been wanting to watch the Jojo edition of Friday Night Fisticuffs but I've been afraid to.

Do they talk a lot about spoilers?

Not much that means anything out of context. But they talk about JoJo-stuff.

Edit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFCbqkdsBtI

I think I love that Matt always goes "oh, yeah, that's the fatality from the Super Nintendo-version of Mortal Kombat" with the obscurest shit.
    He's like a fucking psychometric clairvoyant.

PLA on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The writing and voice acting in this game is amazing.

*Baraka throws corpse at heroes, they look down with concern*

"Are you okay?"

They could have stopped right there and the video would still be golden.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    The writing is the best. There's just so many amazing awful moments that couldn't have been written by mistake.

• Options
    Jolyene Cujoh. So theres a female Jojo.

Pretty neat. I wouldn't have expected that with all the crazy testorene flying around in Phantom Blood and Stardust Crusaders.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Jolyene Cujoh. So theres a female Jojo.

Pretty neat. I wouldn't have expected that with all the crazy testorene flying around in Phantom Blood and Stardust Crusaders.

The first half to 2/3 of Part 6 take place in a women's prison. So all three main characters are women, and most of the early villains are as well. It's pretty great. The last half of that part goes totally off the rails, though.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    "Balls Deep!"

Just finished the FNF Jojo episode, thats just got me even more hyped for the future of the anime adaption.

DBZ parody, More Dio, Spider-Woman Jojo, Pets with stands!

The hypest freak show on Crunchyroll!

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
  • Options
    That guy couldn't dodge Pat's face. Never stood a chance.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Ahaha, an actual Prison Break LP. Perfect!

(Drop your shield.)
    See what I mean?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    They finally broke and did it!

YES.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    When Pat tells Woolie that he can look around while the "You died"-sign is up, he's not actually stating the obvious like an asshole. You can seriously use the camera-stick to look at what's around you.

PLA on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Also you can still unlock the camera from your target if you click the right stick again.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Wait, did Matt actually go to prison?
    And the video quality in their own site is kinda bad... I think I'm gonna keep watching their videos on youtube.
    You know what I mean?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The video quality on the site is definitely off. I dunno what the deal is.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I can feel Pat slowly dying as he plays Prison Break.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Prison Break LP has been every bit as great as I was hoping for.

Haven't been feeling the last few playthroughs but I'm really loving this one.

• Options
    Ever wanted to see a game take Pat's sanity and break its spine over its knee? Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ZDTNX_Do0&index=18&list=UU84X0epDRFdTrybxEX8ZWkA

Divine punishment for Dark Souls... know what I mean? One could say it's perfect, if only he'd drop his shield.

• Options
    The second case of Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is a better Prison Break game than the actual Prison Break game.

I wonder how many times Pat declared "That is horseshit!" and "That is nonsense!" throughout the playthrough.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I posit that Prison break was karma for all the terrible advice he's given woolie in DS2

• Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    The second case of Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is a better Prison Break game than the actual Prison Break game.

I wonder how many times Pat declared "That is horseshit!" and "That is nonsense!" throughout the playthrough.

To be fair, Pat was clearly doing stupid stuff the entire playthrough. His constant rushing backfired every single time, and he never grasped even basic stuff like how you CAN'T block an enemy's wind up punch. You had to jab them out of it.

• Options