As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Thread: Your Mom's a Horse!

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Typical Cartoon Network...take anything original and good and kill it until it turns into generic garbage....except annoying orange which is somehow still a thing

The show's creative director insists that CN didn't mandate the change in art style.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Well it looks awful now so maybe they need a new creative director

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Well it looks awful now so maybe they need a new creative director

Here's a quote from the creative director, Ian Jones-Quartey (who, BTW, has also worked on the Venture Bros, Adventure Time, and is the voice of Wallow on Bravest Warriors):
    Anonymous asked: Why did you guys change the style (Steven Universe)?Was it because of low budgets?

Rebecca created the new designs herself. It was entirely her creative decision. The new looks of the characters are drawn by her(and inked and colored by our incredible design team).

I know there are rumors going around about our network forcing a change on us, but the new designs were completely planned to be this way. They were created and finalized long before the pilot leaked! They are supposed to be this way. CN has been incredibly supportive of Rebecca’s creative control.

We are all really humbled that people got so attached to the character designs from the pilot. But keep in mind that pilots are a “test" of how a show will work. Once a pilot is complete it is up to the creator to decide what things to improve upon.

The characters in the show have the same personalities and voices and we hope that the early fans will understand, in time, that the new designs better reflect the Crystal Gems’ chemistry, stories and special powers. I can’t wait for you to see these episodes.

As for your second question: No. Redesigning the show had nothing to do with budget whatsoever. The budget is way higher than the pilot and our crew has been busting their humps on hundreds of incredible new backgrounds, lighting changes, and special poses.

The new designs were unceremoniously unveiled out-of-context on a Facebook page banner. Please keep in mind that the show will not be one static image on a white background- it’ll be in full, fluid motion! I think the show’s animation is even better than the pilot’s(but i guess you’ll just have to take my word on that one until you see it in motion).

• Options
    I trust Sugar but man I'm gonna be skeptical of this for a while. Just it went from gorgeous to Dexters lab and thats jarring as hell

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Did anyone see the new Adventure Time? It got kind of uncomfortable at times and ended on a downer. Also, Finn had a dream where this happened, and really, really liked it to the point that he was acting probably the worst he ever has in an effort to make sure he had the same dream again.

t6Omsa3.jpg

Also, don't forget the previous episode had this scene of Princess Bubblegum wearing Marceline's shirt:

Tp2p9qD.gif

I'm not the kind of person who usually reads stuff like this into all-ages cartoons, but c'mon. This is kind of blatant.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Finns um dry Dream was pretty funny.

Jake knows the cosmic owl though seems like he could have just askedm

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I trust Sugar but man I'm gonna be skeptical of this for a while. Just it went from gorgeous to Dexters lab and thats jarring as hell

And not even the good Dexter's Lab either.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

And not even the good Dexter's Lab either.

Maybe it somehow looks a lot better in animation?

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    re: adventure time episodes
    I'm wondering how much of the wet (hot?) dream and the ice/blueballs dream were caused by witchery. Finn says he heard the cosmic owl "whispering" in the first dream but that was just Jake singing to himself when he was making breakfast.

This seems like a great way to isolate Finn and flame princess.

Re: sexuality: is this any better or worse than, say, red hot riding hood of days' past?

• Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I really don't see what the big deal is with the Steven Universe design change. Looks like they only made a few minor changes to one or two characters.

This sort of thing happens all the time. Nothing major.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    They changed all the sisters the pink and Red in particular look awful.
    Really maybe it does look better in motion but they look notably less human and less feminine

Steven looks the same though

• Options
    ku-bigpic.jpg

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    ku-bigpic.jpg

Finn want snoo snoo.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    New Bee and Puppycat is up.

Re: Annoying Orange from last page: I guess its pretty neat that an independent YouTube show can become successful enough to make the jump to TV but dammit, there were so many better options. I.E anything Harry Partridge does.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ku-bigpic.jpg

Finn want snoo snoo.

Official and happening tomorrow. Holy crap. http://io9.com/a-futurama-adventure-time-crossover-is-real-and-is-happ-1044884084

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Well the Land of Ooo is a future Earth right? It's possible that Finn and Jake are from an alternate version of the year 3000. (I'm probably way off on the time between the Mushroom War and present day in Adventure Time)

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Well the Land of Ooo is a future Earth right? It's possible that Finn and Jake are from an alternate version of the year 3000. (I'm probably way off on the time between the Mushroom War and present day in Adventure Time)

We know about 1000 years passed since the Great Mushroom War.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »

We know about 1000 years passed since the Great Mushroom War.

and in the year 2100 Giant Carrots ruled the earth... but they don't any more... it takes some getting use to.

• Options
    We know the rough time frame of the war is post 1984 as Cheers was popular and VHS was dominant

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Hmmm so the cartoon network preview spoiled the contents of last Monday's episode.

Can't they understand that some of use iTunes for our cartoon watching, and that I don't have that episode since there's a weeks delay?

*Flips table*

Sigh....

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Rick and Morty is the thing Dan Harmon is on? This is heavy. That short was horrible, but the show looks interesting.

Also Bee and Puppycat part 2 was pretty great.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    The short is irrelevant its a student film dont worry.

Harmon said he's the person reigning in the crazy for the show which scares me slightly

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    The short is irrelevant its a student film dont worry.

Harmon said he's the person reigning in the crazy for the show which scares me slightly

That seems a little like letting the inmates run the asylum to me...

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    And it so good. <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UetSeZtrY2s

I want more things done in that fairytale art style. I don't care what medium, just more plz.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    And it so good. <3

I want more things done in that fairytale art style. I don't care what medium, just more plz.

This was kind've a messed up thing to watch right before bed.

...goodnight!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Rick and Morty is the thing Dan Harmon is on? This is heavy. That short was horrible, but the show looks interesting.

Also Bee and Puppycat part 2 was pretty great.
    well, look at something like Regular Show. It's nothing like the short that spawned it.

• Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    And it so good. <3

This was kind've a messed up thing to watch right before bed.

...goodnight!

Oh God, pleeeeeease don't let that be the last Bee and Puppycat cartoon ever.

"USE THE SWORD AS A SWORD."
    "Don't tell me what'ta dooo!"

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Did anyone see the new Adventure Time? It got kind of uncomfortable at times and ended on a downer. Also, Finn had a dream where this happened, and really, really liked it to the point that he was acting probably the worst he ever has in an effort to make sure he had the same dream again.

t6Omsa3.jpg

Also, don't forget the previous episode had this scene of Princess Bubblegum wearing Marceline's shirt:

Tp2p9qD.gif

I'm not the kind of person who usually reads stuff like this into all-ages cartoons, but c'mon. This is kind of blatant.

There's a similar moment when it's revealed bubblegum kept M's shirt, theres some blushing between the two. The makers of the show did this web show thing talking about adventure time, and they did a significant amount of shipping and fan art for the two girls after that episode. To an uncomfortable level. The web show was cancelled after they did this.

And it is blatant, but not to someone who doesnt know what it is. Finn getting off on FP fighting was suuuuuuuuuuper creeper town. Although it was probably in line with a kid going through puberty who doesnt understand whats going on. Also I thought it was going to lead to ice king and flame princess getting together, because it seemed like they could touch each other to some extent without melting/burning.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

t6Omsa3.jpg

Tp2p9qD.gif

There's a similar moment when it's revealed bubblegum kept M's shirt, theres some blushing between the two. The makers of the show did this web show thing talking about adventure time, and they did a significant amount of shipping and fan art for the two girls after that episode. To an uncomfortable level. The web show was cancelled after they did this.

To clarify: The web show Mathematical was not made by the makers of the show. It was produced by Frederator, the company that produces Adventure Time, but Pendleton Ward, Adam Muto, Rebecca Sugar, etc. were not involved with it in any way.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Ughh I haven't watched Adventure Time in like a year. I need to buy Volume 5 on iTunes and start up Season Pass on Volume 6.

Thinking I might do that tonight.

Now, to decide between SD and HD...I generally lean towards SD just because it's cheaper, and it doesn't look THAT BAD scaled up. (Not to mention back when I bought 1 through 4 HD versions weren't available at the time.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Ughh I haven't watched Adventure Time in like a year. I need to buy Volume 5 on iTunes and start up Season Pass on Volume 6.

Thinking I might do that tonight.

Now, to decide between SD and HD...I generally lean towards SD just because it's cheaper, and it doesn't look THAT BAD scaled up.

Random-Adventure-Time-gifs-adventure-time-with-finn-and-jake-32628269-500-281.gif

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    And it so good. <3

I knew I wouldn't like them fighting monsters as much as Bee's awkwardness in the real world.

But I still got a good laugh out of the episode:

"Ew gross"
    "Use the sword!"
    "As a sword!"

• Options
    So Nickelodeon just aired the hour long season one finale of TMNT.

And drama bombs got dropped.
    Splinter gets into a huge one on one battle with Shredder where he learns that Karai is his daughter.

• Options
    Did they clarify whats up with April?

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I wasn't surprised by Finn's dream of Flame Princess. Ice King icing his crotch was slightly creepy. Finn why you predatoring old guys?

• Options
    Sort of. The Krang Prime said something about her brain being unique, but didn't really explain.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Girlfriend wanted to see Despicable Me 2 tonight, so I accompanied her.

It was...fairly underwhelming. It felt more like a 90-minute Saturday morning cartoon; high on bright colors and stupid jokes and low on actual plot.

Anyone else agree or am I just weird?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Girlfriend wanted to see Despicable Me 2 tonight, so I accompanied her.

It was...fairly underwhelming. It felt more like a 90-minute Saturday morning cartoon; high on bright colors and stupid jokes and low on actual plot.

Anyone else agree or am I just weird?

Haven't seen it, but did you see the first? If so, is it worse?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA