Options

[Western Animation] Thread: Your Mom's a Horse!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I didnt realize Xiaolin Showdown was getting a reboot. Its like everything from my childhood is coming back to me! Now if I could just get a Jackie Chan Adventures reboot.

Xiaolin Showdown is from your childhood? Jeez, thanks for making me feel old.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I think I was 10 when it came out. I remember it being fairly entertaining but my standards might have been a bit lower at that time. I haven't seen it in years though.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I didnt realize Xiaolin Showdown was getting a reboot. Its like everything from my childhood is coming back to me! Now if I could just get a Jackie Chan Adventures reboot.

Wow, it starts tomorrow, even. I'd heard nothing about this.

Was the original show any good? Also, does anyone else think that the main character's design is kinda racist?

A little yeah~ but Omi's a delight given his unusual habit of saying common English idioms wrong.

The original's pretty good, very endearing. It gets progressively better as it goes on...
    But my expectations for the new one is rather low, given it airs on Disney now and uses 3D for its Xiaolin Showdowns.

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Was the original show any good? Also, does anyone else think that the main character's design is kinda racist?

Glad you mentioned it started tomorrow, it is now added to my dvr schedule

It never really struck me as racist because I never really thought of him as representing any sort of race. I mean there were Asian, Hispanic, and white characters that all looked normal. The yellow guy I always just assumed was some sort of anomaly, it's been a long time but I think I remember an episode where he tried to figure out why he looked the way he did or something like that.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The creator of the Xiaolin series is a Chinese woman which makes it less racist than if it were a white male creator, but still a little racist since it relies on a design that draws from multiple racist Asian stereotypes.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    oh come on now!!! Bill Clinton jokes will never be old/dated!!

Jay Leno is proof of that.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So, was flipping through channels and caught Rise of the Guardians on HBO.

I did not expect that movie to be awesome, yet it was totally awesome.

Very surprising, had some fantastic voicework, great action sequences and a really impressive mythology in there.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular

With the original series, the woman who created it (and Omi) was of Chinese descent.
    Now I think I can't help but feel it's like a white guy watching Richard Pryor who suddenly thinks he can use the N-word with impunity...

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

Very surprising, had some fantastic voicework, great action sequences and a really impressive mythology in there.

Some of the plot felt a little rushed, and although Chris Pine did great, his voice seemed a little to deep for Jack Frost, but yeah over all it is a lot better than I would have expected.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Wait Xiaolin Showdown is a reboot? I saw a commercial and assumed it was just reruns. That's a bizarre choice to reboot.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    according to the wikipedia* page its its a follow up series, i guess in the same vein as the new Mysterious Cities of Gold cartoon. also it says its just a '90 minute preview' and the series proper will start airing next month.

*yeah, yeah, i know...

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    Wait Xiaolin Showdown is a reboot? I saw a commercial and assumed it was just reruns. That's a bizarre choice to reboot.

I tend to think of it as The Jack Spicer Show.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular

I always get that title confused with Legend of the Guardians. For some reason, I always think this is a sequel and then I remember it is about holiday mascots instead of owls.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Tiny Toons is so 90s. Also Fuddonna is way more disturbing than I remember.

• Options
    I'm watching that right now.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Cokomon wrote: »

I always get that title confused with Legend of the Guardians. For some reason, I always think this is a sequel and then I remember it is about holiday mascots instead of owls.

I actually enjoyed the Owls movie quite a bit as well.

It's probably scary as hell if you're a little kid though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmTJJf5Y6IU

Taramoor on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Soon you'll be able to see this masterpiece in theaters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpakCBzdhV8&feature=player_embedded#t=0

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Was this animated by a group of first year animation students?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Just watched the first episode of xiolin chronicles and really liked it overall, it seems they didn't really change much from the original and that is a good thing. The cg showdown will take some getting used to, but it wasn't terrible. My one big complaint is the one omi is a little annoying but mostly entertaining, but two omi's is just obnoxious.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Just watched the first episode of xiolin chronicles and really liked it overall, it seems they didn't really change much from the original and that is a good thing. The cg showdown will take some getting used to, but it wasn't terrible. My one big complaint is the one omi is a little annoying but mostly entertaining, but two omi's is just obnoxious.

Outside of the voice actor changes and the small amount of CG, it wasn't bad at all.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Well this is cool and definitely deserved.

June Foray To Receive TV Academy Governors Award
    June Foray will be presented with the Governors Award from the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Board of Governors at the Creative Arts Emmys on Sept. 15.

Foray’s entertainment career spans eight decades, six of them spent in becoming an animation voiceover legend with such roles as Rocky the Flying Squirrel and Natasha Fatale on “The Bullwinkle Show,” Nell Fenwick on “The Dudley Do-Right Show,” Cindy Lou Who in “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and Granny (the owner of Tweety and Sylvester) on “The Bugs Bunny Show.” She won a Daytime Emmy as recently as last year for “The Garfield Show.”

“I’m still going,” she told Variety in February. “It keeps you thinking young.”

Foray also played a key role in the creation of the Annie Awards, now 40 years old.

“Each year, the Board of Governors recognizes a person or organization whose contributions to our industry will forever live on,” said Television Academy chairman and CEO Bruce Rosenblum. “June Foray absolutely embodies everything that this honor represents. A legend and a pioneer, June is not only in a class of her own, but she literally created that class. There is simply no one more deserving of this honor.”

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I know it's not western but it IS pertinent to animation as a whole.

Hayoa Miyazaki is retiring.

And I'm not too happy about it. I almost feel like we're losing one of the last great bastions of not just 2D animation but great story telling as well. Even though it's probably just a "Yo, I'm 72 and I want to chill for a little while" deal.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I lol'd when the French frog stole the keyring.

• Options
    I know it's not western but it IS pertinent to animation as a whole.

Hayoa Miyazaki is retiring.

And I'm not too happy about it. I almost feel like we're losing one of the last great bastions of not just 2D animation but great story telling as well. Even though it's probably just a "Yo, I'm 72 and I want to chill for a little while" deal.

NOOOOOOOOO!!! :cry:

Hopefully Studio Ghibli can still continue to do the solid work they have been doing without him.

Also I hope this isn't against any ban on anime conversations as he has had several movies that were popular and had theatrical releases in the west

• Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Maybe one could create a Studio Ghibli thread where we could celebrate and discuss his works?

I'm personally having issues believing it. He has said in the past that he was retiring several times, as far back as Princess Mononoke. But if it is true, then I hope he enjoys his retirement. He's certainly earned it.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I'm pretty sure I made the Tina "uuuuggghhhh" sound when my dad decided to drive down the wrong way in a parking garage. No one else had any idea what I was talking about. I needed to share that with someone who would know what I was talking about.

Invisible on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Maybe one could create a Studio Ghibli thread where we could celebrate and discuss his works?

I'm personally having issues believing it. He has said in the past that he was retiring several times, as far back as Princess Mononoke. But if it is true, then I hope he enjoys his retirement. He's certainly earned it.

Yeah and then a certain mod or two can come in, tell us we're all a bunch of pedophiles for watching studio ghibli, and close the thread.

So let's not do that.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    We're not allowed to have a general anime thread because those things can certainly go... freaky. I'm sure no one would object to a Studio Ghibli thread.
    I mean, what would be their most objectionable movie? Porco Rosso?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Ask a mod via PM guys. This discussion is just gonna lock this thread

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Went to DragonCon yesterday. Tons of Finns and Fionas, a few Princess Bubblegums, LSPs and Flame Princesses, and sprinkle of Ice Kings and Lemongrabs. I saw several Bees and a few Puppycats. My friend went as the only Dipper I saw. No Regular Show cosplay, but there were people with t-shirts.

• Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    I saw Uncle Grandpa today and thought it was pretty good. I really like the premise of this weird cartoon character randomly going to kid's houses, going on crazy adventures with them, and then teaching them life lessons.

I also like that one of the characters is named, "Giant Realistic Flying Tiger".

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    So The Emperor's New Groove had a troubled production -- it started out as a completely different movie called Kingdom in the Sun and was fairly far along to being completed when Disney execs shut it down, and the quick-thinking director turned it into the movie that actually came out. Loads more is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor's_New_Groove

Sting was recording music for it, and his wife thought it would be a good idea to do a documentary on the process. Thanks to the shutdown/retool, she got a lot more than she bargained for. The Sweatbox covered what happened and even included big chunks of what the original movie would have been, including an animated song for Yzma about how the sun caused her to age, so she was going to snuff it out.

Naturally Disney kept the documentary under lock and key, since it's not the most flattering thing in the world for them. But somehow, it's ended up on an online depository for documentaries.

http://documentarylovers.com/the-sweatbox

I have no idea if Disney's on board with this or not, but I'd encourage you to check it out quickly.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    So The Emperor's New Groove had a troubled production -- it started out as a completely different movie called Kingdom in the Sun and was fairly far along to being completed when Disney execs shut it down, and the quick-thinking director turned it into the movie that actually came out. Loads more is here:

Sting was recording music for it, and his wife thought it would be a good idea to do a documentary on the process. Thanks to the shutdown/retool, she got a lot more than she bargained for. The Sweatbox covered what happened and even included big chunks of what the original movie would have been, including an animated song for Yzma about how the sun caused her to age, so she was going to snuff it out.

Naturally Disney kept the documentary under lock and key, since it's not the most flattering thing in the world for them. But somehow, it's ended up on an online depository for documentaries.

I have no idea if Disney's on board with this or not, but I'd encourage you to check it out quickly.
    huh... I think i've already seen this on TV.

From what I remember Sting was really ticked off about the ending. Something about the emperor being rewarded for his assholishness and getting the theme park built any way.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

huh... I think i've already seen this on TV.

From what I remember Sting was really ticked off about the ending. Something about the emperor being rewarded for his assholishness and getting the theme park built any way.

Specifically, it was that he still got the big, obnoxious park. Thanks to Sting's complaints, it got downgraded to a waterslide that blended into the environment better in the finished movie.

• Options

This isn't the first time that they changed an animated movie after work has already gotten started on it. I was listening to the nerdist podcast interview Joss Whedon (I don't have a link, but it was their 7/22/13 podcast), and he mentioned how when he worked for Disney he had started doing some work for a journey to the center of the earth animated movie before being put on something else, and then some time later going to watch Atlantis: The Lost Empire and didn't realize that it was the same movie until he saw his own name in the credits.

• Options
    Oh, sure. But unless I'm mistaken, I think this was the first time nearly everything was thrown out except a couple characters, a couple of minor scenes (like llama Kuzco trying to eat grass) and the art style, yet still survived to the screen.

Though what happened to Atlantis was a damn tragedy. Could have been a great adventure; got hacked into an unsatisfying mess.

• Options
    Oh, sure. But unless I'm mistaken, I think this was the first time nearly everything was thrown out except a couple characters, a couple of minor scenes (like llama Kuzco trying to eat grass) and the art style, yet still survived to the screen.

Though what happened to Atlantis was a damn tragedy. Could have been a great adventure; got hacked into an unsatisfying mess.

True, he did make it sound like that change must have happened pretty early on

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The art direction on Atlantis was so great. I love Mike Mignola's work.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    The art direction on Atlantis was so great. I love Mike Mignola's work.

No shit, that was Mignola's work/influence? No wonder I like the visuals so much. I can totally see it now too.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!