As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Netflix (and everything streaming) Thread: Unlimited timekilling for pennies a day

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I don't think Elki's complaint is that auto-play is turned on by default. I think his complaint is that when he turns it off on the netflix site it doesn't feed to his Xbox One app. Maybe it's because the XB1 app is hard to work with, but from a customer standpoint, that's not his problem.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Oh no, I understood that. Was just responding to his last sentence.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I think if you're a generally tech savvy person you find yourself irritated by a lot of what netflix does. I totally get it though. The average customer probably doesn't even want any control over the stuff that some of us do, and it makes more business sense to cater to the majority.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Eh, generally the response to auto-play is highly favorable because people are often just chain-watching seasons of shows.

Freakin' Xbox/AppleTV are the worst to work with though. Engineering/QA nightmares.

I'll believe that people are often doing that, and that they like it. And if you're not one of those people, you no longer have the option of just doing nothing, because in 15 seconds the Xbox will play you another episode whether you like it or not. And if you want to use 'continue watching' next time you can't just turn it off right then, you have to click the video to get it to run until the end of the video, and then click B again because apparently one auto-play timer isn't enough. It's stupid. These no-option designs are always fucking with me.

The Hulu app on Xbox One has auto-play, and the ability to turn it on and off. It's on by default, and at the end-credits of any episode you can change it. And it'll remember and keep doing whatever you picked, until the next time you change your mind about it and want to marathon through a show (or not).

It sucks for many other reasons, but they've perfected the autoplay.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    On my Xbox, if I start an episode in the recently watched, but it was the end of the last episode instead of the beginning of the next, it starts at the beginning. It used to be that I could go to other episodes and pick the next episode, but that option appears to be gone unless I start from the queue.

So then I have to dig through my queue to find the show and pick the episode, or fast forward through the episode to the next episode.

This sucks.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Elki wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Some British mob movie recommendations from that era or at least have that feeling even though they might take place in the 70's. You might have already seen them but they all fit the general zeitgeist of that time:

-Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels
    -Snatch
    -Trainspotting
    -Layer Cake
    -The Bank Job
    -Bronson
    -The Escapist
    -Down Terrace
    -Harry Brown
    -Pusher (this is actually Danish but it's very similar in style, the stuff Refn made to get noticed)
    -Rocknrolla (I would say this was the final good british mob movie of the era, right before the recession and when London was kind of the ooo-la-la of the world)
    -Eastern Promises

more recent movies (2010+) that have that same vibe
    -Welcome to the Punch
    -The Sweeney
    -Blitz

not so good movies from that era that should at least be seen because they might have good cast, great cinematography, etc:
    -Revolver
    -Essex Boys
    -Down Terrace
    -The Debt
    -Shiner
    -Outlaw

I haven't seen most of those, but if you want one that was filmed in the 70s I highly recommend The Long Good Friday, with Bob Hoskins.

Or if you just want to watch a bloody masterpiece. Great recommendation.

And another classic from kind of the periphery of this genre, Mona Lisa, for more Bob Hoskins awesomeness.

Also check out The Krays.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I've been watching Chuck, almost done with the first season. It is a lot more funny than I remembered from the first time I gave it a chance. Really enjoying it.

Though the retail bits really feel like "this is what office workers think retail employees do at work." I've never seen that kind of free time in a store. :P

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Netflix e-mailed me to tell me about the From Dusk 'til Dawn TV show, which is now streaming. Now on the third episode, they really going to spread the movie's plot over an entire season?

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I've been watching Chuck, almost done with the first season. It is a lot more funny than I remembered from the first time I gave it a chance. Really enjoying it.

Though the retail bits really feel like "this is what office workers think retail employees do at work." I've never seen that kind of free time in a store. :P

Shit, if I thought retail work was even 1/2 that entertaining, I'd contemplate quitting my office job :)

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    When does Amazon Prime update it's episodes for currently airing series? My DVR missed Under the Dome the other night and the cbs app is dumb and doesn't put up an episode until 8 days after it airs making it hard to actually catch up with a series when you miss an episode.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I think it's a day or two after they air. At least that's how long it's taken for Extant to show up on Prime.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I started watching Birthday Boys.

For a sketch show consisting of an entirely white, male cast it's pretty good if not especially innovative. Definitely enjoyable while I wait for new TV to start.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Haunter is a pretty cool one-set (or at least one house) horror movie. It's very old school in its emphasis on character and chills over violence.

• Options
    Watching Psycho-Pass. Getting a real Ghost in the Shell vibe from it. I feel like their society would fall apart in ten minutes, though, if they arrested people every time they got really upset*.

* - I know there's more to it than that, but they have permanent solutions to what appear to be temporary problems, and even dystopian societies have their limits.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    @elki I immediately mentioned the long good friday when I read that post as well

also I watched Bo Burnham's what. recently and loved it so I searched for anything else he had on netflix. his other specials aren't there but he acted in a movie called adventures in the sin bin... it's a pretty fun high school comedy. would recommend for something light.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Variable wrote: »
    @elki I immediately mentioned the long good friday when I read that post as well

also I watched Bo Burnham's what. recently and loved it so I searched for anything else he had on netflix. his other specials aren't there but he acted in a movie called adventures in the sin bin... it's a pretty fun high school comedy. would recommend for something light.

He has a series on Amazon Prime called Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous. It starts off kind of rough and it can be a bit annoying at times, but overall the series was fun and it left me glad I watched it.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Watching Psycho-Pass. Getting a real Ghost in the Shell vibe from it. I feel like their society would fall apart in ten minutes, though, if they arrested people every time they got really upset*.

* - I know there's more to it than that, but they have permanent solutions to what appear to be temporary problems, and even dystopian societies have their limits.

The citizens are basically sheeple to the max.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

I've been watching and enjoying Psycho-Pass quite a bit. My take on the Sybil system is while it's objectively a terrible system since you can be incarcerated or killed without committing a crime, I don't think it's quite that easy to actually go over the limit. Sure if your stressed your score will probably fluctuate a bit and possibly put you temporally over the limit, but get that under control and you'd be released pretty quickly. It seems the real problem is when the psychopass stabilizes. If your over 100 and not under any particular strain it seems like that's very hard to get down.

Another issue is the population is so concerned with keeping a clean hue that when they go over they tend to get desperate. In the first episode:
    After being violently raped at knife point the hostage has a psychopass of 110, barely over the limit. But the realization that she was now considered a latent criminal and the stress of Division one trying to take her in managed to take her psychopass up to the point where the Dominator's turned lethal (which is a 300 minimum). Seems people are pretty damn terrified at the notion of being taken in as a Latent Criminal

Another problem is, it is a plot point that the old justice system simply doesn't exist. So how do they deal with minor crimes? Sure the psychopass system might handle the murderers and other such violent crime. But I imagine a lot of low level crimes, jaywalking, parking violations even minor thefts probably wouldn't put you over 100.

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »

I've been watching and enjoying Psycho-Pass quite a bit. My take on the Sybil system is while it's objectively a terrible system since you can be incarcerated or killed without committing a crime, I don't think it's quite that easy to actually go over the limit. Sure if your stressed your score will probably fluctuate a bit and possibly put you temporally over the limit, but get that under control and you'd be released pretty quickly. It seems the real problem is when the psychopass stabilizes. If your over 100 and not under any particular strain it seems like that's very hard to get down.

Another issue is the population is so concerned with keeping a clean hue that when they go over they tend to get desperate. In the first episode:
    After being violently raped at knife point the hostage has a psychopass of 110, barely over the limit. But the realization that she was now considered a latent criminal and the stress of Division one trying to take her in managed to take her psychopass up to the point where the Dominator's turned lethal (which is a 300 minimum). Seems people are pretty damn terrified at the notion of being taken in as a Latent Criminal

Another problem is, it is a plot point that the old justice system simply doesn't exist. So how do they deal with minor crimes? Sure the psychopass system might handle the murderers and other such violent crime. But I imagine a lot of low level crimes, jaywalking, parking violations even minor thefts probably wouldn't put you over 100.

I think this is a better take on "potential criminals" than Minority Report, at least the movie version. Instead of getting into predestination and prophesy, they're dealing with psychology, which is a more realistic take. It does seem strange that the system doesn't really seem designed to handle temporary psycho-spikes. You blow someone up with a Dominator, they're dead, regardless of whether therapy could take them down below 300.

Still a batshit bonkers dystopia, but one of more plausible science fiction.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The short lived, live action, The Tick show is now on Netflix!?

Oh hell yes.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Variable wrote: »
    elki I immediately mentioned the long good friday when I read that post as well.

Because we're the best.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

One thing I love about the show is how it slowly reveals to you how fucked the state of the world is through bits of information with each episode, such as what kind of media is banned in the future, what kind of steps people have to meticulously take to keep their hues within safe levels, etc.

This also applies to the characters. Just observing their work desks alone tells you much about their history without anyone actually stopping and giving you their detailed backstory.

Minor spoiler
    Seeing Kagari's desk full of toys and how he addresses Akane as "nee-san" in Japanese (sister) gives his story about being labeled a Latent Criminal at age 5 an extra bit of tragedy to it. To him, the Enforcers are the closest thing he's ever had to a family, and you really get this sense later on in the series.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I've been having this reaction to the show Misfits for years now and now I've actually started watching it and its brilliant. The writing does such a good job of keeping the characters on the edge of hating them but with enough redeeming features that you end up liking them anywa, the superpower stuff is creatively done, and I love how it doesent seem to have any desire to move the focus out of this incredibly grim british Milton Keynes type concrete shit-town.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    First 2 seasons are pretty great... 3rd is OK...

Haven't seen the forth or fifth yet.

The kid who can turn invisible is actually on Game of thrones now!

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    BoJack Horseman, the Will Arnett (and a bunch of sort of famous people) cartoon, is up. First episode is kind of a mixed bag. There was some funny there, but also some pretty derivative material, and at times they were just trying too hard. Also, cut-away jokes.

Might turn out well, though. Definite potential.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Any opinions on 4th and 5th season of Misfits? Really liked the first two, but kinda lost interest after S3 and just never got around to seeing the last 2.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    You should watch season 5, just to have the experience of going 'wait, no, surely this isn't actually happening - are they doing a thing? Is this satire now? Are the writers on mushrooms?' Make sure to get all the way to the last episode. It's real dumb. And right now, you're imaging how dumb it might be. No - it's dumber.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The Expendables 2 is kind of a disappointment. And bear in mind that I went into this with full knowledge of the "over the hill action stars quip at each other" concept.

The dialogue just seems more clunky than badass in this one. Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture and Terry Crews deliver, but the stuff with Stallone and Statham feels really dumb. And Van Damme is wasted in his role.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm into season two of Chuck now, and holy shit. The difference in writing between season 1 and 2 is almost night and day. It went from an amusing, sorta funny show, to something hilarious. I'm really enjoying myself.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Holy fucking shitfuck The Tick is even better than I remembered. Watching this as a vaguely mature individual is amazing. As usual, Fox killed a great show that was a fantastic deconstruction of superheroes because Fox fucking sucks at TV.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Holy fucking shitfuck The Tick is even better than I remembered. Watching this as a vaguely mature individual is amazing. As usual, Fox killed a great show that would was a fantastic deconstruction of superheroes because Fox fucking sucks at TV.

On the plus side, it was where Jackson Publick met Patrick Warburton and eventually led to The Venture Bros.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'm into season two of Chuck now, and holy shit. The difference in writing between season 1 and 2 is almost night and day. It went from an amusing, sorta funny show, to something hilarious. I'm really enjoying myself.

Season 3 is kind of all over the place, with some of the best episodes and then some of the most weird, forced plot points, just be warned. And if you see Kristen Kreuek, it's a bad episode.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Cosmos is up on Netflix and it is glorious!

Also, The Tick is a show for cool people with taste. Anyone who watches it is automatically more interesting by default.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I just watched bojack horseman. I dont think it needs its own thread, its a new netflix only animated show with aaron paul and staring will arnett. It's a rough start I think? wasn't 100% on it and I found it hard to just watch. But it has a super strong finish and great story.
    It left in a place where it could continue, and when it left things not tidied up, it left them in a place where characters grew. There's no right answers to lifes decisions sometimes and you have to live with them and see how they turn out.
    Some of the bits are really smart, and it hides them well.

They try on the family guy cutaway gag, but they run away from it quickly and dont use it again. Also there was a plot thread that didnt pay off, might have just been a red herring.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I just watched the first Bojack episode, not that good. I'm not trying to be a dick or dismissive but there was no humor in it at all. Dragging out jokes to where they land right in that unfunny valley was common, and it just feels very slackerish in attempt, from the animation to the VOs (alison brie you on heroin, boo?). Home Movies gets a pass for animation because it was all about improving and drawing later, this doesn't have that feel.

Halfway through the second episode and it's a bit better if very dated for an episode premise, but if they want to do animal visual jokes just make everyone animals, ya feel me bro?

I guess I'll keep going a few more episodes but it's easily the weakest Netflix thing I've seen so far.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    If that is the weakest, I may have to give Hemlock Grove a try. :P

I agree that it isn't amazing or great, but its decent enough.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Hemlock Grove isn't that bad if you just want something weird and go in without a whole lot of expectations.

Don't expect masterful plotting or character development that makes sense. It's kind of like if a first year theatre major wrote a twilight remix and hated vampires.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    I feel like this belongs here now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BBhNkywMJY

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Hemlock Grove isn't that bad if you just want something weird and go in without a whole lot of expectations.

Don't expect masterful plotting or character development that makes sense. It's kind of like if a first year theatre major wrote a twilight remix and hated vampires.

Hemlock Grove is really bad, and watching it I knew it was bad, but I couldnt help myself. Its not quite so bad its good, but its too good to be so bad its unwatchable. Its a really weird bad.

I havent seen the second season yet (trying to finish a Orange is the New Black and a couple of HBO shows before that), but I'm pretty excited for it.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Hemlock Grove is really bad, and watching it I knew it was bad, but I couldnt help myself. Its not quite so bad its good, but its too good to be so bad its unwatchable. Its a really weird bad.

I havent seen the second season yet (trying to finish a Orange is the New Black and a couple of HBO shows before that), but I'm pretty excited for it.

Hemlock Grove has pretty good production values (though the CGI in the second season was really obvious), but doesn't seem concerned at all about leaving the audience with any sort of good feelings. I'm now convinced that the clipped, bizarre manner of Roman is an affectation to highlight just how strange he is, but it looks at first that he's just got a terrible, charmless actor.

The world they live in is horrifyingly bleak, as well. I'm not sure I would recommend the show to someone with chronic depression.

This discussion has been closed.