As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Netflix (and everything streaming) Thread: Unlimited timekilling for pennies a day

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    For me it would probably be 30 Rock.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I usually have Frasier or Trailer Park Boys playing in the background when I grind out levels in whatever I'm playing. I tried it with Always Sunny but I found myself ignoring the grind and straight up watching the show.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    For me it would probably be 30 Rock.

Thats my background noise show. Only it turns out theres a random episode or two I've missed and I sometimes end up not doing what I was planning on doing.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Parks and Rec has been my background noise show for the past few months, but I unfortunately ran out. I think I may give 30 Rock a spin next (at least until Season 6 of P&R shows up).

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    When I say background I mean listening more than looking. I type business stuff in laptop at table or couch, but still hear the story and whatnot. The TV is right there so I can always look up when need be, but I've kind of burned out of my usual go-to shows, or they simply aren't available for streaming.

I mainly do this with comedies as opposed to dramas, because that requires more visual (with exceptions). Which is why I haven't gotten around to White Collar or Burn Notice or Leverage. I did this with Always Sunny and it worked really well.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    In that case I say go for The League

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I think I'd go insane if I had to listen to any show while working. But I know the League works pretty well when you're not looking at the screen -- sometimes I like to kinda faceplant on the couch while my boyfriend is watching it.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Season 2 of Californication is a pretty adept modernization of The Great Gatsby, so I'll give it that.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I always interperted Californication as an update of Charles Bukowski's work.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    The first season of The League was good. It does have a problem with being a little too much of sloppy late 30's guys somehow pulling women who are 9's and 10's, with no real reason behind them (because they're terrible people), but it does have some really funny stuff. Taco, I both like and hate at the same time. It's like, just when I thought he was on screen too much and I would hate him, the show knows to make him disappear so the Taco meter depletes itself. (and his thing about Jettas and hot girls, seriously brahs, that was a theory I had for so long, maybe we're Eskimo Bros)

Some of the player cameos and promoting Fox stuff is a little too much on the nose, and they filmed some stuff on the same lot as Always Sunny (scenes are right outside Paddy's street), but on the whole it's good, I like it.

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Californication also has Rick Springfield playing himself, so I don't know how you can pass that up.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    I remember that Fern Gully was my favorite cartoon movie as a kid. Just noticed it on Netflix, gonna give it a watch now as an adult and see how it is.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    EWom wrote: »
    I remember that Fern Gully was my favorite cartoon movie as a kid. Just noticed it on Netflix, gonna give it a watch now as an adult and see how it is.

You poor unfortunate soul.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I stopped about half way through, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Oh snap! Wakfu's first season is on Netflix in English! It just went from harder to get than anime in the 90s to appearing on my TV in an instant.

Absolutely beautiful animated series.

Edit: Available in original French with English sub titles too! WHOOOOO!

Quid on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Hahaha, holy shit, The Blacklist is so goddamn absurd in the best way.

I'm an unabashed James Spader fan, even after his turn as Robert California on The Office, so this is just gold.

Can't wait for Age of Ultron.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    What do you mean "even after his turn as Robert California" he was the fucking lizard king, son.

Spader is the best and the blacklist is definitely something i need to check out now that it's on the 'flix

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I loved Robert California, and Spader's portrayal of him.

It was just at odds with the aesthetic of The Office. Not faulting him; he did a goddamn amazing job, but the series didn't know what it wanted at that point.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    What the hell is worth watching on Amazon Prime? I cannot seem to navigate the PS3 menu and actually find any thing worth watching.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options

It was just at odds with the aesthetic of The Office. Not faulting him; he did a goddamn amazing job, but the series didn't know what it wanted at that point.

This is true, he went from intense unabashed genius to addiction driven idiot by that season's end.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    What the hell is worth watching on Amazon Prime? I cannot seem to navigate the PS3 menu and actually find any thing worth watching.

It's basically only distinction from Netflix is HBO, MTV or Comedy Central stuff. Drunk History is pretty good, Workaholics is good if you've never seen it.

I haven't checked in on their new movie stuff since may or something and it's shocking how little new stuff they have. I'm starting to wonder if their iPhone app isn't getting the newest stuff to notify or not.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

This is absolutely true.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Hannibal Season One.

• Options
    That and The Wire

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Justified is great if you haven't seen it

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

Justified is great if you haven't seen it

How the fuck did I forget this.

Watch Justified. Everything they have up. It's so good.

• Options
    When I had my Prime free trial I watched The Wire, Deadwood, and some of TrueBlood. Trueblood was ok, kinda cheesy, but eh, didn't really find anything else worth watching. (Note I didn't watch all of Deadwood & the Wire in 30 days.. I'd seen them both before so just watched some of my old favorite episodes).

• Options
    I was going through attempting to fix my netflix 'tastes' on my profile after finally setting up profiles for my kids...and i take an unhealthy satisfaction in one starring adam sandler comedies. I hope to never have one pop up as recommended.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Just finished season three of The Wire.
    So I was completely not expecting them to really kill Stringer. I definitely just sat there in shock while the credits rolled. Woah.
    Such a good series. Also, it's a moderately small detail, but I love the way they change the style of the theme every season.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    The Americans and Orphan Black both have their season one's up on Amazon Prime and both are quite good.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    We've been burning through Orange with our Netflix trial. It's OK, some of the episodes are better than others, not sure if I give a shit about any of the characters.

How more current is HuluPlus' stuff? Like is Justified an entire season or just a week/month behind?

• Options
    Any of the shows you can get on Hulu should be almost current. I used it to watch Hannibal a day after an episode would air. Problem is with it not having all the shows you may like.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    We've been burning through Orange with our Netflix trial. It's OK, some of the episodes are better than others, not sure if I give a shit about any of the characters.

Man, how far in are you? If you don't care about any of the characters by season 2 (and especially the end of season 2), then you have no soul. Dogs must attack you on-site and automatic sliding doors probably don't open when you approach.

• Options
    I don't know I watched all of S1 and S2 of Orange, and really did not care about any of the characters. The closest was maybe Pipers brother, and I didn't really care about him, he was just a goofball that did funny things, so I liked it when he got screen time.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Just finished the first season of arrow. thought i'd catch up on the show before s3 starts but apparently the second season isn't hitting netflix till the s3 premiere which is highly counter-intuitive.

but whatever, need something new to watch. bojack horseman looks fun.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Man, how far in are you? If you don't care about any of the characters by season 2 (and especially the end of season 2), then you have no soul. Dogs must attack you on-site and automatic sliding doors probably don't open when you approach.

I think I'm still in S1. There's been no resolution to the
    chicken
    if that helps.
    I don't know, it just seems like there's no conflict for anyone and it all back to status quo next episode. Like it's ad for prison.

Also are the dogs on the other side of the door? Because then it's fine.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Just finished the first season of arrow. thought i'd catch up on the show before s3 starts but apparently the second season isn't hitting netflix till the s3 premiere which is highly counter-intuitive.

but whatever, need something new to watch. bojack horseman looks fun.

I think it's how they push DVD/BluRay sales, they're the only way to watch the previous season before the new one starts...that or keep the new season on your DVR until netflix gets S2 and you can watch it there.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Hoop Dreams is up on Netflix, which is one of the best documentaries ever. I only mention this because I think it's one of those movies that gets overlooked in the generation shuffle.

That's how a documentary should always be done; over time with no bias, just a straight up "here's two teen basketball players in Chicago."

• Options
    Has anyone else watched The Fall? Really liked it and read season 2 will air on bbc this fall.

• Options
    Season 6 of Parks and Rec was just added.

• Options
    yesss!

This discussion has been closed.