As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    So, I've decided to jump in with this scum release because I fucking love Star Vipers and bounty hunters and stuff.

Tell me, X-Wing thread, what should I look at picking up to make my Star Vipers (and other scummy ships) awesome?

the StarViper is a superiority dogfighter, comparable to the rebels' E-wings or the empire's Tie Phantoms. A squad comprised solely of them is going to have problems, but a single (named-pilot) viper loaded down with upgrades will likely make a great centerpiece for your team.

to support the viper, you're likely going to want a lot of smaller, cheap ships (options here being the Headhunter and Scyk) or a really dangerous large ship that makes the viper a less immediate target/problem (options here being the Firespray and Aggressor)

basically, I'd recommend picking up the Most Wanted expansion first, since it'll give you a couple of good small ships and the cards you need to work a Firespray, if you decide to get one. The expansion is basically a scum starter set, honestly. Between the three ships included there and the Viper, you've got a really solid base to work from and can decide if you like small zippy ships or the heavier style.

Beyond that, if you decide you want more fast and tiny ships, then I'd say to go for the Scyks, who have some pretty absurd options and good maneuvering. If you want a larger, more powerful option the Slave 1 is what I'd recommend over the IG-2000, but they've got pretty similar roles as a lightly-armored but maneuverable large ship that uses cannons and bombs instead of turrets. I think the choice in that case is probably going to come down to personal preference.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I already have a core set from my very cool PA secrent santa. Other than that, I'm basically starting from scratch.

Are there any ship upgrades cards (torpedos, engine upgrades, etc.) that are gonna be compatable with S&V ships that I'd need or want to hunt down?

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Core Set
    Most Wanted
    an extra Y-wing
    HWK-290
    Firespray

Gets you all the possibilities offered by the Most Wanted box. Which is a lot of cool stuff to play with.

An E-wing expansion will get you several cards that go well with the StarViper - Advanced Sensors, Flechette Torpedo, and Outmaneuver - as well as a couple of astromechs which could be used in a Rebel list with your Y-wing.

Push the Limit would probably be nice to have too - it comes with the A-wing and with the Imperial Aces box, but will also be widely available as a tournament promo card this summer if those ships don't interest you. Everyone will have extras.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You are in luck there is an article up right now that talks about competitive Scum lists:
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/2/19/it-is-the-future-you-see-wave-6/

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I like bounty hunters and some of the scum ships
    But to take out a Yt 2400 with one shot from a tie bomber and then blow it to bits with two interceptors was really why I love the empire
    That shine.

• Options
    FFG really downgraded their site? um what?

• Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    We can add maps to the modules pretty easily so I'm now working on a Death Star Trench Run. I'm guessing that we will have to all add the map once I get it properly sized (first attempt, the map was the size of two Falcons side by side). Hopefully we will be able to play with it soon.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    We can add maps to the modules pretty easily so I'm now working on a Death Star Trench Run. I'm guessing that we will have to all add the map once I get it properly sized (first attempt, the map was the size of two Falcons side by side). Hopefully we will be able to play with it soon.

oh man what is the plan for this

the mission that got linked in here before was neat, but there are so many types of ships at this point (and a new faction!) that it seems like it'd be fun to cut a little more fast and loose with canon

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Scum Spaceships have arrived.

scum.jpg

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Daypigeon wrote: »

oh man what is the plan for this

the mission that got linked in here before was neat, but there are so many types of ships at this point (and a new faction!) that it seems like it'd be fun to cut a little more fast and loose with canon

We can decide once we start. I've seen rules for Hans Solo jumping in after a certain amount of rounds have been played and turrets inside the trench that fire at everyone who moves into range, friends and foes. Either way, it'd be a nice way to kick off the next season of League.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    So, be prepared to hate me.

I just got this email from an online retailer:
    Hello *my name*,

We are eternally grateful for your honesty and generosity for bringing this to our attention. For you, we will honor your order once these do arrive and send it out as requested. Perhaps for all the others, not so much. It is nice to know that in a world such as the one in which we live, there are indeed still good people. You will find your account was not charged but will be once the order is ready to complete, at the agreed price. Thank you for not directing others to our site thus allowing us time to make the correction. It is indeed a challenge to properly list all the items we sell and not have a mistake along the way.

God Bless,

Carl
    Wondertrail
    Community Outlet LLC
    208-587-2297

The order in question? Well, here's a copy of the important bits of the invoice:

raiderholycrap_zpskyvhq1ef.png

:D

I'll admit, I very, very briefly almost ran over here and started screaming to everyone that this site had it marked down to the same price as the Firespray. But I got a grip of myself (after placing the order, because I was blinded by holycrapthirtydollarraider), realized that these people almost certainly made a huge mistake that could cost them hundreds, and promptly sent them an email explaining the situation and that they really need to fix the price before people really do try and take advantage of them. Given that they unlisted the Raider shortly after I emailed them and the context of their response, it sounds like other people might have been doing that very thing. I even told them that it was 100% okay if they chose to not honor the price I ordered it at, since it's a pretty gross underpricing. Heck, I probably would've asked to just switch my order to a Firespray (which, again, was listed for literally the exact same price).

So yeah, I feel pretty good right now. I helped out a complete stranger, and it turns out sometimes kindness is still rewarded. I'll almost certainly order more from this site in the future due to this display of honestly unwarranted generosity.

Also, on a far, far more selfish note... I'm getting the Raider for thirty bucks! I don't have a crazy X-Wing budget (only reason I own a Decimator is because I got it for 50% off, and that's only the second large ship I've brought myself to buy for myself), so the odds of me actually getting the Raider and all its nice TIE Advanced perks was pretty slim. For the same price, I could get, what... a Lambda, Slave-1, and still have money to spare? But now I'll actually be able to field those beautiful TIE Advanceds, not to mention everything else the pack comes with. Heck, I already have the Rebel Transport (Christmas gift)... now I can host an Epic Game with my friends!

Oh, and wondertrail.com

They are super generous people for this.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Good on you! Karma points abound.

• Options
    Jealousy points, too.

• Options
    Yes ... you ... did ... the right thing.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    So I've learned that the Universal Map pack has two Trench Run maps on it, 5x9 and 4x7.

They are huge. Either one will work. So when would people be interested in try it out, what rules do we want, and what ships are allowed and which are banned? Personally, I'd like something like this:

-80 to100 point max list with any ships you want. (Depends on the amount of people there)
    -Large Ships can't enter the trench nor fire into the trench.
    -Rebels vs Imperials (NO SCUM ALLOWED!*)
    *Scum upgrades allowed so we can get our first taste of them.

Then we'd have the same rules as the Trench mission I posted before. TL the exhaust port and shot a Photon Torpedo at it, must do a crit and either another crit or hit to hit the exhaust port. Laser Towers with energy building up, ect.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    So, how're the scum ships? I haven't played in a while, but I want to get back in when I have more free time. I'm thinking of picking up a most wants pack and two interceptors and saving the rest for latter, unless there are good upgrades I'll be missing.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    My FLGS has Most Wanted, but I obviously am going to need a rulebook. Is there much from the Core set that I'll be able to make use of other than the rulebook? If not, is there a way to get whatever I need from the Core set without the ships?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    -Loki- wrote: »
    My FLGS has Most Wanted, but I obviously am going to need a rulebook. Is there much from the Core set that I'll be able to make use of other than the rulebook? If not, is there a way to get whatever I need from the Core set without the ships?

You'll want the core set for the rules, the dice, the range templates, a bunch of counters and asteroids and the like for assorted missions, and the ship upgrade cards. I'm sure you can get the dice and range templates on their own, and I'm pretty sure all of the upgrade cards can be found in assorted single ship expansions. But buying all that separately is likely to cost more than the actual core set would.

I think your best bet, if you're dead set on never flying an imperial or rebel squad, would be to get the core set and sell the X-wing and TIE-fighters to other players at your FLGS. You probably won't get much for them (everyone who plays the game has at least one core set), but even if you only get 3 or 4 bucks for them, that takes a chunk out of the cost of the core set.

see317 on
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Played a store tournament this Sunday.

Managed to loose all my games, two without killing anything. :)

On the upside, the wooden spoon prise was a Chewie pilot card the TO had left over from when they were the participation prise and a custom rangeruler.

Could blame my list and those of my opponents, but I really didn't fly well.
    Not enough sleep, tournament jitters and inexperience against good players was the major factor.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Nought wrote: »
    Played a store tournament this Sunday.

Managed to loose all my games, two without killing anything. :)

On the upside, the wooden spoon prise was a Chewie pilot card the TO had left over from when they were the participation prise and a custom rangeruler.

Could blame my list and those of my opponents, but I really didn't fly well.
    Not enough sleep, tournament jitters and inexperience against good players was the major factor.
    Still, good on you for going out! And you still got some stuff from it too. :)
    My first (and only so far) tournament was a bunch of fun! Hope you had fun as well.

On the League side of things, sorry I've been really quiet on that front. I've been pretty busy at work, and that's where I get most of my league-related tasks done.
    I fully support kicking off the next season with the Trench Run, so if you want to organize that @Grunt's Ghosts, go right ahead. I'll be busy the next weekish (PAX East! PM me if anyone wants to meet up), so I won't be able to get any "league-proper" things going.

As an aside, I am not sure a tournament bracket will necessarily work out unless it's done over a number of weeks, due to scheduling (I think Stationary's been busy since racing season started and webguy mentioned something about a bunch of OT) and I don't want to exclude anyone. A tourney could be run in parallel with the normal season, but that would be up to the participants in both, since there may be multiple games in a week.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    -Loki- wrote: »

Theoretically you can get away with only buying (or being given from a vet who has an extra) a damage deck. Everything else can be shared.

Here is what you will use in every game from the core set:
    Dice (can be purchased separately for a reasonable price)
    Maneuver templates (Acrylic versions can be purchased separately)
    Range ruler (Acrylic versions can be purchased separately)
    Asteroids (a game only needs one set so you can get away with not having these)
    Damage deck (only purchasable secondhand, like from Ebay)
    Rulebook (Rules and FAQ are available for free download):
    https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support/SWX01_XwingCoreRulebook_lowres.pdf
    https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support/faq/X-Wing-Tournament-Rules.pdf
    https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support/faq/X-Wing-FAQ.pdf

But by the time you add up the price of 3 of those items, you are pretty close to the price of a core set online.

Here is a link to the core set for $27 on Miniature Market, which is the standard for cheap online xwing stuff:
    http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/22563/s/ffgswx01/

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MegaMek wrote: »
    So, how're the scum ships? I haven't played in a while, but I want to get back in when I have more free time. I'm thinking of picking up a most wants pack and two interceptors and saving the rest for latter, unless there are good upgrades I'll be missing.

Just my opinions, but;

Scum Firespray; new Kath is a reasonable contender for best ship in the game. Boba is right there with her.
    HWK-290: Still cool-but-awkward.
    Z-95: Still cheap and effective. Kinda boring.
    Y-wings: Best small-base scum ship by a fair margin. BTL-A4 "Warthogs" are going to smash a lot of stuff, and Kavil is a total bastard.
    Aggressor: The best way to have ten million bad options every turn. Fun but mediocre.
    M3-A Scyk: Unplayable. Straight up worst ship in the game. A lot of people feel differently though - take this one with a grain of salt.
    Starviper: Ehhh. Haven't been impressed so far. Guri is playable. The others? We'll see.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    MegaMek wrote: »

Just my opinions, but;

Scum Firespray; new Kath is a reasonable contender for best ship in the game. Boba is right there with her.
    HWK-290: Still cool-but-awkward.
    Z-95: Still cheap and effective. Kinda boring.
    Y-wings: Best small-base scum ship by a fair margin. BTL-A4 "Warthogs" are going to smash a lot of stuff, and Kavil is a total bastard.
    Aggressor: The best way to have ten million bad options every turn. Fun but mediocre.
    M3-A Scyk: Unplayable. Straight up worst ship in the game. A lot of people feel differently though - take this one with a grain of salt.
    Starviper: Ehhh. Haven't been impressed so far. Guri is playable. The others? We'll see.

Guess I'll just grab 2 most wanteds for now then; the y wings were my most anticipated anyway. Was hoping the scyks would be good cheepos at least. Oh well.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I ended up with a few Scyks. I'm gonna give 'em a shot. They've gotta be good for something.

• Options
    Most people seem to feel that Scyks are, in fact, good cheepos.
    I dunno.
    I just look at what they have to offer - the worst traits of A-wings and TIE Interceptors combined into one package, without the good dial of either - and I scratch my head a bit.

I can see them being decent ion cannon totes, I suppose.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I dunno.
    I just look at what they have to offer - the worst traits of A-wings and TIE Interceptors combined into one package, without the good dial of either - and I scratch my head a bit.

I feel like they probably require the cannon upgrades to give them some firepower not quite allowed by A-Wings and TIE-Ints, but I'm not really sure. I personally think they look cool at least.

In other news, my boss doesn't really want to send anyone to a training thing coming up in Roseville (since it's for something we won't really work on), so I will unfortunately not be able to go up and hang out at FFG. He does know I want to go though... so I'm hoping he lets me go eventually ;-)

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, are there going to be enough people picking up Armada that we should do a thread for it, or should we just make it part of this thread?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    I dunno.

I feel like they probably require the cannon upgrades to give them some firepower not quite allowed by A-Wings and TIE-Ints, but I'm not really sure. I personally think they look cool at least.

In other news, my boss doesn't really want to send anyone to a training thing coming up in Roseville (since it's for something we won't really work on), so I will unfortunately not be able to go up and hang out at FFG. He does know I want to go though... so I'm hoping he lets me go eventually ;-)

Try to squeeze in a Wednesday night, if you do make it up here. Lots of X-wing happens on Wednesday nights. :-)

• Options
    I dunno.

Try to squeeze in a Wednesday night, if you do make it up here. Lots of X-wing happens on Wednesday nights. :-)
    You'll be the first person I PM :)

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Still waiting on that Millenium Falcon reprint to come around which is listed on FFG's website as 3/2015 and it's a green 'On the Boat' logo. Any idea what that means? I just put in an alert for Miniature Game's website to alert me when it's back in stock.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    so anyone here going to pax? I'm thinking of bringing a few lists to play at the westin tabletop gathering. I'd love to fly against some people different than my area.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So my FLGS ran out of Most Wanted.

My other FLGS has Slave 1 in stock! My fiancée is picking it up for me tomorrow.

• Options
    I saw some of the scum ships at BN around Xmas because it looked like the M3-A flys backwards?
    So in seeing the rules for Armada still I would like to get it but because of various problems I have to build a portable game table for it and X wing that card table is not going to cut it

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Did they ever rerelease the Rebel Y-wing? That's the one reb ship I have none of, and if it's going to be a Scum mainstay I'd love to have more than the one or two coming out of Most Wanted.

Granted, I can basically just load out a Kath and Boba list with all the shiny toys and clap gleefully while giggling, but I'd like to have options.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    so anyone here going to pax? I'm thinking of bringing a few lists to play at the westin tabletop gathering. I'd love to fly against some people different than my area.
    @breton-brawler
    I will be there, but I am not sure if I am going to be able to fit any xwing stuff in my carry-on. I'll be packing tonight, so we'll see!
    I actually haven't looked much into gatherings, but it'd be cool to go hang out.

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Did they ever rerelease the Rebel Y-wing? That's the one reb ship I have none of, and if it's going to be a Scum mainstay I'd love to have more than the one or two coming out of Most Wanted.

Granted, I can basically just load out a Kath and Boba list with all the shiny toys and clap gleefully while giggling, but I'd like to have options.
    Here's one place you can get it: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/165107
    You could probably get it off other online retailers as well

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    @breton-brawler
    I will be there, but I am not sure if I am going to be able to fit any xwing stuff in my carry-on. I'll be packing tonight, so we'll see!
    I actually haven't looked much into gatherings, but it'd be cool to go hang out.
    I'm driving down so I'll certainly bring something, I hope if we make it to boston early enough tomorrow I can drop by the westin that night, also I think there a few people bringing their collections. Pax Board game night

• Options
    IngramIngram there was only Rage Kage Registered User regular
    To anyone else like me in the PAX-less crowd or who just wants to try to fit in some extra pickup vassal games sometime for funsies/testing shoot me a pm or @. I'm around most evenings.

jswidget.php?username=ingram_&numitems=9&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Alright, here's what I want to do:

Get a scum Y-Wing and load it down with a pair of bombs, engine upgrade, and "Genius".

Have said Y-Wing move into the middle of the enemy squad, use "Genius" to drop the bomb, then boost to safety from the blast radius.

Sadly, it's build number 8323 that I've thought up that requires freaking engine boost, so yeah... gonna need that Falcon someday, I guess.