As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith 2014] Light your fire with 12 Hendrix songs. Next Gen is here! steam sale

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Details of the Garbage DLC tracks as follows:

I Think I’m Paranoid: Play “I Think I’m Paranoid” by Garbage on any electric guitar. Bass included. This song includes a new Authentic Tone.
    Only Happy When It Rains: Play “Only Happy When It Rains” by Garbage on any electric guitar. Bass included. This song includes a new Authentic Tone.
    Stupid Girl: Play “Stupid Girl” by Garbage on any electric guitar. Bass included. This song includes a new Authentic Tone.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    I would say take advantage of the fact you have a cheaper guitar, and may be in the market to get a new one. Learn to do a set up, play with it, learn the guitar. Then when you get a nicer one you'll know how to take care of everything. Most people are scared about adjusting the truss rod, and it can be scary, but as long as you take it slow and don't just crank it 5 whole turns, you shouldn't mess anything up.

I've actually done truss rods before even on a very slightly more expensive guitar, it's been a few years but I learned when I was little to be very gentle when doing technical work on things so I've never fucked one up.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

I Think I’m Paranoid: Play “I Think I’m Paranoid” by Garbage on any electric guitar. Bass included. This song includes a new Authentic Tone.
    Only Happy When It Rains: Play “Only Happy When It Rains” by Garbage on any electric guitar. Bass included. This song includes a new Authentic Tone.
    Stupid Girl: Play “Stupid Girl” by Garbage on any electric guitar. Bass included. This song includes a new Authentic Tone.

Those... are pretty much exactly the Garbage songs I would want to play on guitar.

I really need to upgrade this PC >_<

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Those... are pretty much exactly the Garbage songs I would want to play on guitar.

I really need to upgrade this PC >_<

I don't know why I like the little DLC trailers so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqOlGjqYCKQ

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Might wait a bit for a sale, but yeah I'll be picking that Garbage pack up. I'm a 90's kid.

Never did get around to a Carry On My Wayward Son video, though I should keep running that one. I got distracted for a minute by Titanfall and Diablo, but I'm back to playing again. Buddy brought in an Eric Johnson CD today, which spurred me to pick up the Cliffs of Dover DLC and give it a whirl.

After that, I went ahead and shot Amy Adams a tweet seeing if she'd be interested in grabbing a drink, and mailed the Seahawks some tape of me awkwardly hitting a tackling dummy to see if I could get a walk-on tryout.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Are you kidding I'm still scared of doing truss rods even after like 10 years. It's more the principle of what I'm doing than an actual fear of breaking anything but damn it's like defusing a bomb

• Options
    The most expensive guitar I've ever owned was like 120 bucks.

So like it's not like I'm super terrified of breaking a 700 dollar instrument. It's also just that I've never had to make large adjustments to it either, just tiny like 8th turns and let it rest for a while.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Had a practice run at editing vids together. Didn't work out so hot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NDCbfuWabXs

Syncing audio is the toughest thing ever. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Yeah, you need an opening click track. Makes syncing audio a lot easier. Just four (or three or six or eight or whatever) quick short "beeps" at the beginning of a song. Now, since you don't control the source in this case, not sure how you'd go about that.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Had to special order it, but I am going a step up from my original Washburn starter guitar (which is starting to show major wear and tear) and unto something a little more solid.
    An Epiphone Les Paul...

71X5f5KJFqL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm not selling my kidney for a Gibson model, yet. But I am still looking forward to playing this one, regardless.
    It comes in tomorrow, hopefully it'll turn out and sound great.

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I got this game and a reaaaally shitty crescent strat ripoff off of amazon. Surprising enough works great for this game.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I kind of ignored this game for a long time, because, y'know, instrument games are pretty dead, but my understanding is that this is a legitimate guitar learning tool? I'm the kind of person that does best with guided learning and feedback, and I'd love to learn a new skill like this (both for the intrinsic satisfaction and because I need the kind of Cool Guy points that come from knowing to play), so I'm now interested.

This has probably been asked before, but does anyone know a suitable guitar for a total beginner like myself?

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    I kind of ignored this game for a long time, because, y'know, instrument games are pretty dead, but my understanding is that this is a legitimate guitar learning tool? I'm the kind of person that does best with guided learning and feedback, and I'd love to learn a new skill like this (both for the intrinsic satisfaction and because I need the kind of Cool Guy points that come from knowing to play), so I'm now interested.

This has probably been asked before, but does anyone know a suitable guitar for a total beginner like myself?

honestly rocksmith is probably more learning tool than game

people can get into the score attack stuff and leaderboards for the guitarcade games, but IMO the meat of it is all teaching

with regard to guitar purchases, my top advice would be to get something that you like the look of. it's way easier to stay motivated if you love your guitar. if you know someone who does know their way around a guitar, ask them for help. go to some stores. your primary motivation should be getting something that stays in tune without much fuss* and has a well trimmed/dressed fretboard**.

*having to constantly retune your guitar is a soul destroying exercise, doubly so if your guitar has hard to use tuners

**by trimmed I mean that none of the frets stick out from the side of the fretboard -- that will cut your hand. by dressed I mean that all of the frets are filed down such that when you cleanly play every note on the guitar it will ring out without getting cut off. if the fretboard is poorly dressed, it can be expensive to fix and is one of the few things you can't really do much about at home.

quality control on modern cheap guitars is actually generally quite decent, so these are not as huge concerns as it was around a decade ago but you absolutely should check.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    As a dude who bought Rocksmith as one of his initial learning tools in almost the same boat, and someone who bought a shit guitar to start with, my advice is this:

Rocksmith will not fundamentally alter the difficulty of learning to play guitar. If you really want to learn to play, you will have to commit to practicing both with the game and off it. If it's your intention to really play the guitar, skip the shitty starter guitar and consider dropping $300 on a real guitar that will be a pleasure to play. You'll only want to do this if you're certain you want to play guitar for real.

If you don't want to play guitar for real, don't want to practice outside the game, and don't want to spend a ton of money, feel free to pick up whatever Squier Bullet Strat off craigslist you can find and a copy of the game. You'll have some tuning frustration, but the game mostly disguises bad playing as still sounding fairly awesome if you're generally hitting the right technical notes. This way you minimize your investment and get the experience.

More than likely, most new players will do exactly what I did. Buy a cheaper guitar than they should, practice a bit, realize the guitar is making learning harder, then reinvest in a better guitar.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

honestly rocksmith is probably more learning tool than game

I don't know if I would agree with that. The game aspects can certainly be avoided, but I think the game part is more successful than the teaching. By that I mean I think it is more successful at being fun than teaching guitar.

There are just too many quirks to be a primary learning tool. Feedback for errors can be lacking. The accuracy can be a bit shoddy (I.e. you should see my score for The Trooper for rhythm accuracy and I've seen quite a few chords you can cheat by dropping some tones) and in most cases it's in your favor. They've oddly mixed the original guitar on top of yours in the default setting so you sound quite a bit better than you actually do. The theory is also a bit lacking (they'll help you memorize a scale or chord but don't really tell you why it is what it is, or what tones or notes it is made of so it can be easily found in other keys or neck positions for example) but in their defense it was never really the focus.

I think it's best use as a learning tool is that it puts the guitar in your hands and gets you to play anything at all. It does that by being fun, by being a game. It lost a lot of the obvious game-ification from the first title, but it's still there underneath.

If he's looking for "guided learning and feedback" he really needs lessons more than Rocksmith. The ingame theory and lesson section is essentially subpar youtube videos, you might as well spend the time with the better free resources on the web.

Endaro on
  • Options
    Completely agree with @Endaro‌.

Rocksmith is a great tool for having something to do with your guitar that works your fingers and stretches your chord memorization without feeling like a chore, but most of the important learning has to be done outside the game.

• Options
    Yeah I totally have an acoustic to play on more than my electric.

But I do plan on getting a better electric to make practicing in Rocksmith more enjoyable.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    Hmm, interesting. Not totally dissuaded though. I would be fine with using outside materials to help; I think what I want out Rocksmith is something to get me started and make practicing fun, concrete, and, y'know, game-like. Numbers are a substantial motivating factor for me :)

I wouldn't want to get a tutor though, not out of the gate, because I kind of dislike making those kinds of obligations with other people.

The guitar quality thing though makes me hesitate. I have the money to invest, but if it didn't work out after I made that investment, that'd suck. But if I got a cheap guitar and then did need to buy another one, that'd suck. Maybe I should see if any of my friends or neighbors have anything I can use for the time being.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Hmm, interesting. Not totally dissuaded though. I would be fine with using outside materials to help; I think what I want out Rocksmith is something to get me started and make practicing fun, concrete, and, y'know, game-like. Numbers are a substantial motivating factor for me :)

I wouldn't want to get a tutor though, not out of the gate, because I kind of dislike making those kinds of obligations with other people.

The guitar quality thing though makes me hesitate. I have the money to invest, but if it didn't work out after I made that investment, that'd suck. But if I got a cheap guitar and then did need to buy another one, that'd suck. Maybe I should see if any of my friends or neighbors have anything I can use for the time being.

Do guitar stores still rent instruments? And do they rent instruments to non-students? When I first started taking lessons, it was with a rental guitar -- I didn't get my own for a few months. But this was also 30+ years ago ...

• Options
  • Options

I'll sell you a Squier Strat and practice amp for $80, but you'd have to pick it up. :P

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Why is it a couple of decades?

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Well, I mean, So Much for the Afterglow came out almost 20 years ago at this point.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Why do they have to word it like that? :'(

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Why do they have to word it like that? :'(

To make you feel old, so you will try harder to learn guitar to recapture your lost youth and spend more time with the game.

To make you reminisce, so you will spend more money on song packs.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    How I reminisce is upgrading my decaying tapes with cds and getting mad over how some of them cannot be replaced

Or the rather odd thing of why did I remember two of the spice girls albums back to back in order while at work

I cut my fingers really bad on my left hand a few weeks ago so hopefully they will be healed soon so I can start playing again

• Options
    We were wrong, it's a 90's pack. SILVERCHAIR!

Spin Doctors “Two Princes” - [XBL]
    Everclear “Father of Mine” (Bonus Lead) – [XBL]
    Silverchair “Tomorrow” - [XBL]

Nostalgia worked, I will probably buy all of these

• Options
    Nnnnnnnghshhghhh silverchair.

Sploosh.

• Options
    Oh man two princes

• Options
    These song packs are killing me

• Options
    Ya I know. There is so much I haven't bought that I want to, and they keep releasing good stuff. It almost makes me want to double dip with this on steam, I'd feel a lot more comfortable having this and the DLC on my PC at this point in time, then be worried my 360 could take a shit and have to buy a new one.

• Options
    I can't even run 2014 on this machine and I keep having to resist the urge to go the Steam DLC page.

• Options
    I can't even run 2014 on this machine and I keep having to resist the urge to go the Steam DLC page.

I own Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014 and some Strokes DLC and I don't even own an electric guitar.

It's called planning for the future.

steam_sig.png

• Options

I own Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014 and some Strokes DLC and I don't even own an electric guitar.

It's called planning for the future.

Well yes but I also don't want to install it and be paralyzed by wanting to play all my purchased DLC at once and ending up getting nowhere :P

• Options
    I'm just waiting for the next steam sale, which I'll probably miss, as I'd have to pick up both games on PC

• Options
    Some of us bought Rocksmith without bass for the xbox, Rocksmith with bass for the xbox, Rocksmith 2014 for the xbox and Rocksmith for the steam, with dlc mixed up.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I really wish there were some way they could make cross-buying DLC a thing-- like buy once for xbox 360 and you have a license to play it on the PC as well. I'm kind of regretting buying it for the 360 because in the future if we ever get a new game it'll likely be on a new platform and I'll lose all my DLC. Had I gone with the PC from the get-go that wouldn't be a potential problem.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    If the PC is an option, or is a potential option in the future, always stick with that, I guess.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I was PC first, but I got xbox because that was better for splitscreen with my wife on bass.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    In my defense, the PC version was massively delayed and I had to have Rocksmith: Vanilla day one.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN