As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GTA5] GTA Online is live, and pretty much works now!

jdarksunjdarksun StrugglerVARegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in Games and Technology

gtav_logo.jpg~original

What is GTA5?
Grand Theft Auto 5 is the latest installment of the well known open world world series.

So what can I do in this game?
What can't you do? Bike, drive, fly, run, shoot, swim. Check it out:

Can I play with my friends?
Absolutely. The announced multiplayer portion is Grand Theft Auto Online - join our Rockstar Social Club, We Are Nice Guys, and play with us! The Rockstar Social Club is platform independent, so it doesn't matter if you're playing on Xbox or PlayStation - join up!

So what's the campaign like this time around?
Join Michael, Franklin, and Trevor as they plan and execute six large heists in Los Santos. These three lovable scamps are iconic representations of past GTA protagonists - the reluctant criminal, the gang leader, and the psychopath. All three of them participate in missions together, enabling you to switch between them for different perspectives on the action. That's a first for this series.

What's this about not installing the Play disc for 360?
Rockstar warns: don't install GTA5 Xbox 360 "play" disc - Install mandatory 8GB "install disc" only.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-360-play-disc

Rockstar has warned Xbox 360 gamers not to install the Grand Theft Auto 5 "play" disc.

On Xbox 360 the openworld game comes on two discs: one mandatory "install" disc and one "play" disc, both around 8GB in size. It's a similar situation to Forza 4, which also shipped on two discs on Xbox 360.

Prospective GTA5 owners - some of which already have the game as a result of early shipping from Amazon.co.uk - might have wanted to install both discs, but Rockstar recommends against it.

"For optimal performance, we recommend not installing that disc," tweeted Rockstar Support.

Then, "An 8GB install is required. For optimal performance, we recommend not installing the play disc."

Rockstar has promised more information soon. For now, the upshot is, with GTA5 on Xbox 360, you have to install disc one but run disc two from the drive.

Zilla360 wrote: »
For anyone confused about subs/scuba diving (this should really go in the OP as the question keeps on coming up):

Yellow water vehicles only, to put it simply.

Rockstar Social Club/We Are Nice Guys stuff:
jdarksun wrote: »
Not a member of WANG? Want to be? Here's how!
1) Fill out this form!
2) Request an invite to our Crew here!
3) If you really want to get in ASAP, send me (@jdarksun) a PM!
4) Questions? Comments? Concerns? Contact @chasm (lJesseCusterl), @Allforce, @Dusda (dusda.kisou), @jdarksun, or @Local H Jay (LocalHJay).
Current Roster (may not reflect recent changes)

Gang Attack Locations!
- 3 more locations were added.
- Started to include how many enemies you have to fight there (assuming that's static)
- Other changes.
IFn8ovT.jpg

jdarksun on

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    The color of your dingy is random though. Mine is red and it still works.
    It's only the submarine which is always yellow.

Yay first thread post is a Morninglord nitpick! I feel weirdly proud.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    New thread, same problems.

So, anyone taking bets on when GTA:O actually starts working without significant hiccups?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    Third time was a charm as far as updating went. At least I could download the update without it locking up my console. For now, I'll enjoy some single player and let things settle down.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Depends on how we define significant. I'll say it's two days before I can even complete the tutorial.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Yeah mine locked up twice and I had to hard reboot the PS3 before I could get it to finally download and install.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    still playing with no problems on 360, rolling in a group of 4.

• Options
    JunleaJunlea Registered User regular
    still playing with no problems on 360, rolling in a group of 4.

Well. Some problems. I get Disconnected often when trying to join up with you guys. But not bad!

Junlea :: Writer, Gamer, Bagel Fan
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    I can't even join up with a working group due to the tutorial being borked. :(

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    New thread, same problems.

So, anyone taking bets on when GTA:O actually starts working without significant hiccups?
    three days.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So homie, my social club name is urstril, how do I become part of the crew?

• Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    So far I'd say my favourite part of the game is 'Launching Session'. It beats 'Waiting for Players' hands down.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Keep getting a 'failed to host session' error and trying to join in on a crew member told me there were no sessions with crew members in them :(.

I think the PSN version of GTA: O is fucked.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Anyone have a pic of the character creator? I want to bask in its awfulness.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    At least I have time to finish the single player portion before GTAO is viable.

• Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Everyone I've rolled with: sorry about the lack of mic, didn't plan out my usb ports properly. I'm going to have to dig out that old Rockband usb hub. Starting to get some real money though!

Edit: I totally thought the backwards patriot would work. D:

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    I love but hate all of you that are getting to play this game online

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    I think the PSN version of GTA: O is fucked.
    It is certainly not PSN-specific. I have not been able to start the tutorial race on XBL all day.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I appreciate what rockstar was shooting for with the character creator but it still doesn't solve the ugly face problem. Cycling random gave me a bunch of good ones, but that doesn't excuse the general "wat" the first time you see that interface and try to deal with it

Edit: damn these forums are actually really good on mobile

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    Trying to get a party going 360...

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    So homie, my social club name is urstril, how do I become part of the crew?
    Check the OP. :)

• Options
    Kreutz wrote: »

Yup, going to 100% this sucker tonight while waiting for GTA:O to sort itself out.

Not looking forward to that third triathlon D:

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Good news is my character is intact.

Bad news is I can't connect.

Was expecting the worse though, so I'm happy.

edit: yea, gonna just go back to working on the single player too. hopefully it'll get sorted soon.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Kreutz wrote: »

Yup, going to 100% this sucker tonight while waiting for GTA:O to sort itself out.

Not looking forward to that third triathlon D:

I just did that triathlon when I was drunk off my face - the 30 minutes of tapping just flew by!

• Options
    irnirn Registered User regular
    ugh... thank Yeezus I didn't take the day off work for this.

cashwore1.jpg
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    What's the probability that I'll be able to make myself out of the character creator? Is that possible within reason, or am I just going to be rolling the genetic dice until I get someone free of monstrosity?

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I hit random until I got marston daddy and then I messed around with mommy's genetics until I got something amusing that wasn't ugly as fuck.
    He has weird eyebrows. They are amusing as hell.

Just like marston he looks a hell of a lot better with a scruffy beard.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    @jdarksun For the OP?
    Patch notes:
    *Fix for interface issues when using Internet on the cell phone after completing the game, or during a mission replay.
    *Fix for the Vanilla Unicorn occasionally becoming locked.
    *Fix for issues where the character’s money could drop below zero and become stuck there.
    *Fix for the Epsilon Program missions not progressing properly after delivering some cars.
    *Fix for issue where the Atomic Blimp sometimes does not appear as a phone contact for Collector’s Edition owners.
    *Fix for issues with saved vehicles going missing, or losing their upgrades.
    *Fixes for several map escape and collision issues along with other various bug fixes.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    irnirn Registered User regular
    Rolling the dice.

cashwore1.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ps3's still borked i guess.

Made a character, but unable to connect. Character wasnt saved. You'd think solo games would be a little easier to get into, but i guess not.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JunleaJunlea Registered User regular
    I was playing successfully for a good while but am completely unable to connect now. (360)

Junlea :: Writer, Gamer, Bagel Fan
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Ps3's still borked i guess.

Made a character, but unable to connect. Character wasnt saved. You'd think solo games would be a little easier to get into, but i guess not.

I'm guessing the Solo GTA:O is connecting to the same servers as MP. They're probably prioritizing MP at this point just to make sure they can get it working for as many people as possible.

All hail our online, digital future!

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Haven't made it past the cloud error screen myself, but the WANG emblem looks pretty great on a t-shirt.

Lamar is the worst at flirting. :lol:

• Options
    Junlea wrote: »
    I was playing successfully for a good while but am completely unable to connect now. (360)

After work/school peak, probably.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Haven't made it past the cloud error screen myself, but the WANG emblem looks pretty great on a t-shirt.

Lamar is the worst at flirting. :lol:
    Yes it does.

Weird having people talk to your character while they remain silent though.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Can't wait to Scooter bros all up with you all.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Any advice on the launching session tutorial race? or am i just stuck here until it gets done. X360 hurr

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Just caved and bought this (on PS3) on my way home. Here goes nothing.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Keep trying and be patient? I think that's all the people who have been successful have done.

That said I noticed something a little disconcerting about this cloud stuff and the epsilon questline, if it's true.
    I've been sleeping out the days for the 10 cumulative requirement, and it only works sometimes. I took the outfit off and put it on again to make sure it wasn't that, then slept 10 times in a row and got no progression at all today. I think that some game progression or events are tied to your being able to connect to their cloud. :\

Also, even though I have missions and stuff, I can't see anything on the Job List bit of the phone menu.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    so I am taking a break, good games angrypuppy, junlea, and other folks. after about 5 hours I am at level 9. only recently figured out how to give people their cut of a robbery (hold back button, inventory, select cash, chose player). I think I have been pocketing the cash for the last few hours so I have like 20k. you make a lot from jobs and races, and of course stealing and selling cars.

deathmatch is okay, don't like LTS mode because one life is bullshit. excited to hit up more gas stations with y'all in a bit.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    so that thing i said about the cargobob and the sub?

yeah ignore that shit

its definitely possible to pick up the sub and I paused and stated that it was possible once I had connected, but then when I unpaused and tried to lift off the sub smacks into the helicopter and you end up in the drink.

ive tried this four times now. no matter how i pick it up, it always ends up in the drink. its bugged to hell and back. ive got 100/100 flight and im very careful. its something to do with how it is hooking on and the closeness of the pier. its bugging out the physics so it slams the sub straight up into the helicopter and theres nothing you can do about it.

its just not possible to pick up the sub with the cargobob.

i don't know about the other lifting helicopter, mine went missing.

Morninglord on
This discussion has been closed.