As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shadowrun 5E] Unprofessional Criminals [OOC/Banter]

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    psolms wrote: »
    @Ardent

p98.
    A single contact may not have more then 7 karma spent on them at character creation.
    Ah, Shadowrun. You never, ever fail to hide important details all over the place.

Addressed on the stat sheet.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I was going to ask if it's too late to sign up, but I register 7 people indicating interest before this point which is well after the caving point. I might whip something up for funsies, and if you need a replacement I could jump in.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    I was going to ask if it's too late to sign up, but I register 7 people indicating interest before this point which is well after the caving point. I might whip something up for funsies, and if you need a replacement I could jump in.

The odds of my submitting a finished character without them deciding they genuinely need a driver aren't great, fwiw, so if you've got something you really want to get in there, don't let the current count stop you.

• Options
    Well I've been tending towards Driver/Mechanics as well, which you've got covered.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Well I've been tending towards Driver/Mechanics as well, which you've got covered.

Yours if you want it, so far as I'm concerned! I'm only slightly less happy to follow people who know what they're doing.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

Yours if you want it, so far as I'm concerned! I'm only slightly less happy to follow people who know what they're doing.

You assume too much :)

• Options
    Every time I read a section of the rulebook again, I learn something new. While that is sometimes often, it makes quadruple-checking my work very, very hard.

• Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Well, I updated my post with a writing sample. Hope y'all enjoy it.

And to anyone who is hesitating with a post because there's already people interested: you should put in an character anyways. No one has a guaranteed spot yet, so just because there's interest doesn't mean drek.

Edit: I hear that @Ardent. My character is the result of weeks of checking, rechecking and tweaking. I was actually planning on using her if I got a RL game going, but that doesnt seem like its going to happen. If you'd like another set of eyes, I could double check your character for you, sometime during the week.

psolms on
  • Options
    psolms wrote: »
    Edit: I hear that @Ardent. My character is the result of weeks of checking, rechecking and tweaking. I was actually planning on using her if I got a RL game going, but that doesnt seem like its going to happen. If you'd like another set of eyes, I could double check your character for you, sometime during the week.
    Trust me, I've been drafting this character since I got my hands on the rules. But yeah, with so many hundreds of pages mistakes are inevitable. If you want to triple-check my maths, by all means do so. That I'm fairly confident of. But hidden rules...not so much.

• Options
    I'll look into it when I get home. I don't have the rulebook on hand anyway. Also someone may have added Google Docs to the work filter, which would be a huge pain.

• Options
    Also someone may have added Google Docs to the work filter, which would be a huge pain.
    I always got around that by keeping mundane work stuff on my Google Docs. Time logs, spreadsheets of unidentified data, so forth. Just tell them you've got documents you need access to. Incidentally, it helps a lot to keep those time logs on Google docs because you can always check them and see what you or your team have been up to even if you're not at the office.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I don't have those sorts of concerns with my job, so I don't really have much mundane stuff to keep in the Docs. Plus I'd have to try and figure out who to talk to, all while speaking Japanese. It's probably the only reason I can still get here.

I'm not getting the usual "No! Bad!" page either, so it's probably more likely a temporary hiccup with the proxy.

I'm just reading through now. It's going to take me a while to decipher how rigging works now, and thus what skills and gear I'd need to buy.

Does anyone know how much Autosofts for drones cost to buy? I can find pretty much any other kind of soft, but not the Autosofts and they are supposedly pretty important.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    Does anyone know how much Autosofts for drones cost to buy? I can find pretty much any other kind of soft, but not the Autosofts and they are supposedly pretty important.
    From the Missions hotfix:

Autosoft Costs
    Availability: Rating * 2
    Cost: Rating * 500¥

• Options
    Awesome. That's not too bad. I can fit that in the massive amounts of spending. Stuff gets expensive fast when you buy Fake SINs.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Awesome. That's not too bad. I can fit that in the massive amounts of spending. Stuff gets expensive fast when you buy Fake SINs.
    True, but you have to remember that autosofts are brand-specific. You can't just transfer gunnery autosofts between drones unless they're manufactured by the same corp. So that makes the costs rise as riggers acquire new and, presumably, more capable drones.

Edit: Unless you become a fanboy, I guess. Which probably should be a negative quality for a rigger, because we all know how we look at the hardcore fanboys.

Ardent on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    ok.

It is driving me to drink

Where. in the rule book. does it state the augmented attribute limit? I don't even need it per se, I'm just going crazy trying to find it. Am I just blind?

• Options
    ok.

It is driving me to drink

Where. in the rule book. does it state the augmented attribute limit? I don't even need it per se, I'm just going crazy trying to find it. Am I just blind?
    Page 94. (It's +4 if you weren't aware.)

• Options
    Ardent wrote: »
    True, but you have to remember that autosofts are brand-specific. You can't just transfer gunnery autosofts between drones unless they're manufactured by the same corp. So that makes the costs rise as riggers acquire new and, presumably, more capable drones.

Edit: Unless you become a fanboy, I guess. Which probably should be a negative quality for a rigger, because we all know how we look at the hardcore fanboys.

You can transfer the gunnery ones, presuming they're using the same weapons. But the evasion, stealth and manoeuvre softs are drone model specific. You can get by as long as you stick to fairly standard designs. Especially if you're doing soft sharing through the RCC.

• Options
    ela_zulela_zul Registered User regular
    Posting extreme interest now. I'm going to try and get a character sheet up A.S.A.P, and now that I have posted I have at least made some commitment to that plan. :P

I am thinking on building a ranged street sam of sorts. I have been wanting to build one for a while now, and it seems (unless I missed a post) that the group is still looking for a couple bruiser types.

Dark Heresy - The Chaos Within [IC] [OOC]

infinitesig3.jpg
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    I'm working on a solid, skill based infiltration/heist guy and a... Well I guess I'd call him an entropy-mancer

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    psolms, I just realized that all white eyes with no pupils means Zen might be mistaken at first glance for a ghoul. That's a hella awesome Distinctive Style. :)

• Options
    I think these drone rules went through a few last minute modifications, especially given they forgot autosoft costs. All the rules indicate you absolutely need autosofts to do pretty much anything, especially gunnery, but in the example of drone combat none of the drones have any autosofts running at all. Not to mention a drone can only run half it's device rating in programs, while the highest available rating is 3. Meaning you can run at most two programs, which would have to be Manoeuvring and Clearsight to be of any use at all.

• Options
    I think these drone rules went through a few last minute modifications, especially given they forgot autosoft costs. All the rules indicate you absolutely need autosofts to do pretty much anything, especially gunnery, but in the example of drone combat none of the drones have any autosofts running at all. Not to mention a drone can only run half it's device rating in programs, while the highest available rating is 3. Meaning you can run at most two programs, which would have to be Manoeuvring and Clearsight to be of any use at all.
    That seems eminently plausible. I'd say you can run Maneuvering as a default for the drone, otherwise I don't even know if it can be considered a drone.

• Options

The pdf has a LOT of typos. Someone at the pdf company actually put up the wrong revision. But they are going to do a re-download with corrections.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I was slightly wrong about the example drone combat, they do have an autosoft running. They're all sharing Clearsight which is running on the RCC. But because they're sharing with the RCC they can't run any autosofts of their own. So the drones are all moving about and firing their weapons, but none of the drones are running gunnery autosofts for the weapons they fire which is explicitly prohibited.

The only other option I can see is that the drones, on the fly, boot the gunnery autosoft when given the order to fire. But I can't find any rules for how you go about changing the running programs like how long it takes.

EDIT: Found it, it's a complex matrix action. So no, the drones aren't swapping software when they fire.

I'm about ready to pack it in actually. The rules for drones are convoluted, spread over a half dozen sections and don't even work. Their example play of a rigger being an awesome rigger and showing that decker what for consists of the rigger cheating like mad. As far as I can tell the way it would have actually gone done by the rules is his drones sort of hovering uselessly in front of the decker's car because none of the one with guns can actually fire them and their dice pools for doing complicated manoeuvres like follow a car are so small a guy running in a straight line could lose them.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    Ok. Question about the augmentation limit. how do cyber limb default strength and customization count towards it? Ie I am native str two, I buy a cyber limb (str3)and want to further customize it... - is my limit 6 (2+4)...7(3+4) or ten (natural limit plus 4)

• Options
    I've seen some really suspect character builds posted at Dumpshock and at the official Shadowrun forums with cyberlimbs sporting agility/strength above 6, but I'm pretty sure the RAW give any cyberlimb base stats of 3 and maximum of 6. You use the limb's stats whenever you're performing a one-limbed task (e.g. shooting a handgun) and you average your four limbs' stats to do any full body action (e.g. a Sneaking roll).

So I don't think the attributes of any cyberlimbs matter whatsoever toward your augmented attribute limit. If 6 is the max for cyberlimb agility/strength then you wouldn't come anywhere close to natural max +4 for any race.

And re: riggers, it sure seems like the rigging-specific rules were the last thing to be horned into the core book. RCCs not being listed anywhere in the Gear chapter, for example. The core book does seem to support dedicated riggers as a character archetype, but only just barely. I can't blame you for not being interested in pursuing it.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    As I read it the effective limit is 6. "If either of your limbs attributes are increased beyond your natural maximum for that attribute, you can't use the cyberlimb ..." The only time Natural Maximum is used that I can find is on page 66, "Characters at character creation may only have 1 Mental or Physical attribute at their natural maximum limit; ..."

So assuming Human, with no other traits, your natural maximum for Strength is 6. Your Cyberlimb starts at 3, so you can buy at most a +3 enhancement before you become unable to use the limb.

Wait, I'm confusing customisation with enhancement. You could customise your limb up to S6. You could then add Enhancements, which would take you above the Natural Maximum. So your maximum arm strength appears to be S9. S3 limb, customised to S6, with a +3 Enhancement.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Basically, you might want to cyber up one arm for high Agility to use with pistol attacks with an otherwise low-Agility character, or for high Strength to use for melee attacks with a low-Strength character. But Muscle Replacement/Augmentation/Toner seem like much better choices for characters who might use those stats for more than one trick.

And for ork or troll characters with melee in mind, the top end of 6 Strength on a cyberlimb could easily become a limiting factor rather than a bonus.

EDIT: Oh! Chrysis, you caught the crucial point here. I take back everything I said, you're right.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It doesnt matter much to my concept, I just want to do it right

Along these lines, if you have cyber limbs, do you use your average limb strength to determine the physical limit?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Along these lines, if you have cyber limbs, do you use your average limb strength to determine the physical limit?
    I believe cyberlimbs have no effect on your physical limit.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Use the Cyberlimbs ratings for any task involving only that cyberlimb. Use the average of all limbs involved for any other task, unless it requires careful coordination in which case use the weakest. Partial limbs only apply when that particular portion is being used.

I wonder how far you could take a full body cyborg before you ran out of essence or money.

EDIT: At least as far as essence you can go almost full cyborg. Two arms, legs and the torso is 5.5 Essence.

If you go Betaware Arms and Legs with a Used Skull (Don't want to know where that came from) you can get the full body for 5.6 Essence.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    When purchasing qualities, it is possible to gain more than 25 karma as long as I have no greater than 25 spent in negative qualities and 25 spent in positive qualities right? So basically one could purchase 25 karma points of negative qualities, thus gaining 50 points to spend elsewhere? Not that I am at all planning on doing this, but I am at 36 left over after purchasing my qualities. I have the rules right in front of me but I am sort of scratching my head looking over them. I think I am over thinking things too much.

Edit: Sorry, figured out the answer to my own question. I'll be sure to research more next time before posting.

Char sheet almost complete.

ela_zul on

infinitesig3.jpg
  • Options
    It's definitely possible to get four cyberlimbs, a cybertorso and a cyberskull within the essence limit if you use some higher ware grades, though you can't get Beta or Delta at chargen. The damage resistance rolls on a character like that, packing full armor upgrades to all six pieces... Wowzers!

• Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    Posting my character tomorrow (my) morning. Should be fun :)

• Options
    Captain K wrote: »
    It's definitely possible to get four cyberlimbs, a cybertorso and a cyberskull within the essence limit if you use some higher ware grades, though you can't get Beta or Delta at chargen. The damage resistance rolls on a character like that, packing full armor upgrades to all six pieces... Wowzers!
    I think that was intended. Previous editions were sort of disappointing for would-be street sams who could only get halfway to full capability at chargen.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Background
    It was 2054 and a young Jin Kyodo-kai was eager to bring honor to his Father, Hattori Kyodo-kai who was the head of the Kyodo-kai, a division of the Japanese Syndicate known as Yakuza. Jin was accepted into the lower ranks where he first learned to kill. A taste for blood was not the only thing Jin gained, his Father also taught him about Bushido.

Jin advanced in the Kyodo-kai ranks rather quickly, what with the advantage of his Father being boss and his skills in street battle. His loyalty quickly became tested however when Jin's Father got caught up in some nasty politics. Some of the other Yakuza bosses put a hit on Hattori's head when some deals went sour. It wasn't long before an outsider assassin came to collect.

After the death of his father, Jin made an attempt to get out of the organization for good. The Yakuza found Jin and tortured him for his disloyalty. After days of torture they cut Jin's arms off and left him to die in a dumpster.

By some fate, Jin survived long enough to be found by a Street Doc who called himself Ujarak. The Native American used healing magic and remedies to bring Jin's "spirit back to earth". Ujarak installed Cyberlimbs to replace Jin's missing arms and helped him get back on his feet.

Before long Jin was back on the streets, working for the Doc and other's to try and pay off his debt to Ujarak. During this time he met up with a group of mercenaries who were looking for some extra muscle. The crew ended up working together for many years. It was during this time that Jin got the nickname "Razor Jin". Most members of the group split to go their separate ways a few years back.

Eventually Jin found himself working with a group of Shadow Runners and has been running the shadows ever since.

Still to this day Jin swears revenge against the Yakuza.

Character Sheet
    Jin Kyodo-kai
    AKA - Razor Jin
    Human

A - Attributes 24
    B - Resources $275,000
    C - Skills 28/2
    D - Human (3)
    E - n/a

Body 5
    AGI 6(8)(+3 for ranged or agi related)
    REA 5(7)
    STR 5(+3 for melee or str related)
    WIL 3
    LOG 2
    INT 5
    CHA 1
    EDG 5
    ESS 0.4
    INI - REA:5(7) + INT:5 = 10(12) +3d6

Physical 7 + 2(cyberlimbs)
    Stun 6
    Overflow 4

+ Qualities
    Ambidextrous -4
    Toughness -9

- Qualities
    Moderate addiction to novacoke +9
    Code of Honor +15 - Bushido (way of the Samurai)

Skills
    Automatics - 6
    Blades - 6
    Heavy Weapons - 4
    Long Arms - 2
    Pistols - 5
    Sneaking - 4
    Pilot Ground Craft - 3
    Athletics Group - 2
    Intimidation - 2

Languages - (N)Japanese, English 1
    Knowledge Skills - Yakuza (int) 4, Firearms (int) 4, Bushido (int?) 3, Arms Dealers (2)

Katana $1000

Ares Light Fire 75 (smartgun system, 50 rounds) $1250 + $1000
    Yamaha Raiden (smartgun system, 50 rounds) $2600 + $1000
    Ingram Smartgun X (smartgun system, 50 rounds, fake license rating 3) -sits in cyberarm slide- $800 + $1000 + $600
    Quick Draw Holster - $175
    Armor Vest Armor rating 9 $500

Wired Reflexes - (reaction) rating 2 - 12 avail - 3 ess - $149,000
    Full arm - 1 ess - $15000 +1 damage box on phsyical condition +3 str +3 agi
    Cyberarm Slide capacity[3] $3000
    Full arm - 1 ess - $15000 +1 damage box on phsyical condition +3 str +3 agi
    Commlink Erika Elite rating 4 $2500 + $2000 for install in cyberarm, capacity[2]
    Muscle Toner (agility) rating 2 ess 0.4 $62000
    Cyber Eyes rating 1 ess 0.2 capacity[4] (smartlink capacity[1]) $4000 + $2000
    squatter x 6 months = $3000
    Novacoke - 10 doses = $100
    Fake Sin - rating 2 = $5000

Standard Credstick with $2470 on it

Contacts
    Fixer - Goes by the name Cross. Has been Jin's fixer ever since he started running the shadows. (Connection 3, loyalty 1)
    Gun Runner - Macky O'Connor - The Irish elf is an old friend of Jin's. They used to work together as merc's. (Connection 2, loyalty 2)
    Street Doc - Ujarak - The Native American Doc saved Jin and gave him his chrome. (Connection 2, loyalty 3)

Sample Writing
    "Rain, always fucking rain".

Light drops pitter-pattered on chrome. A single street lamp buzzed overhead, moths clinging to its departing glow.

"Late, as usual." Jin peered at ticking pixels in his AR feed. The cherry at the end of his cigarette glowed with each inhale before falling to cold wet concrete.

"I fucking hate this weather!" He thought, flicking the bitter end of his habit to the street. He swore he'd quit. That was 4 years ago.

A black car, tinted windows, low bass, pulled in to hug the curb. Its trunk clicked open, the engine shut off. After a moment a slick pointy ear, clad in long leather, stepped out of the vehicle. One black boot after the other. The rain worsened.

"What the drek took you so long?" The street sam said as he walked for the trunk. He didn't bother looking towards the dandelion eater.

"Hoi yourself. Got caught up at my last drop...had to geek a couple fucking bangers who wouldn't pay up. Anyways, quit bitchin' and check the hardware." The elf now stood next to the samurai overlooking a tray lit in a blue glow from LED's.

An arsenal of firearms and ammunition laid before dealer and buyer.

Descriptions and stats flashed in Jin's AR as he scanned over the hardware. "I'll take the Ingram and the Light Fire. Got any Novacoke?" He felt an all too familiar twitch in his nose. He made a similar promise for that habit too. Old habits die hard, some even harder.

"I've got the Novarock...and more. Take your pick." The elf leaned forward, flipped a hidden switch and leaned back as a compartment slid out containing the goods. "Lets hurry it up, I still have a few more drops to make." He slicked back long wet hair with both hands.

"We all good if I wire the cred later? I'm a little short."

The elf closed the trunk after the samurai geared up. "You're usually good for it...just don't let it become a habit. I wouldn't want to have to put a round in your thick skull."

Jin smirked to himself as he jandered away, back towards the shadows whence he came.

"...I'd like to see you try."

EDIT: Fixed Edge

ela_zul on

infinitesig3.jpg
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    @ela_zul I think you're missing your special attributes points. So your edge should be 5 instead of 2

• Options
    The rigging rules actually make me angry at how incompetently written they are. The play example actively breaks rules, and uses drones that aren't even in the book. Drones need Autosofts to do anything useful, but they can't run enough by themselves to actually be even remotely competent autonomously. For instance a recon drone is going to need Clearsight (so it can see), Stealth (to avoid being seen) and Manoeuvre (so it can move) softs, but no drones can run more than 2. Not to mention that without the errata you can't even buy autosofts. So that means you need an RCC to be able to run a drone. But autosofts are for the most part model specific, which means the big advantage of the RCC (being able to slave multiple drones) is useless unless all your drones are exactly the same. You could make a drone competent by diving into it, but if you're actively rigging a drone any others have to run autonomously, and you aren't able to do anything else like drive the getaway van. But most vehicles can run at most one soft, which means your getaway van is either blind or forced to drive very carefully.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    @psolms Ah yes, you're right. Thanks. :D

ela_zul on

infinitesig3.jpg