Options

PAX East 2014 BYOC Information & FAQ

• Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    Jonoseel wrote: »
    FireWater wrote: »
    Right, just out of curiosity, since I pretty much only need one outlet because I am not brining a monitor, can I use it for something else?
    Yes, just remember you have a limit on how much power you draw from your 2 outlets. Charging a phone, laptop, camera etc... would be fine. something large I'm guessing would not because it would draw to much power. What are you intending on using?

Honestly I was just curious, I don't think I am comfortable transporting my monitor on the airplane so maybe just a phone charger or something.

• Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Only because I just saw this posted... Seems relevant!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    PoliticianPolitician Registered User regular
    Hi,

When is seating reservations going to open up for non-groups?

Thanks
    Politician

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    There is no seating reservation process for non-groups. BYOC seating for individuals is first come first served when you get to PAX. This is, of course, assuming you have a BYOC pass.

• Options
    DreggorDreggor [E] PAX East PC Room Deputy Registered User regular
    Chart updated with everything I have up to this point.... Getting Close!

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • Options
    Minor update.

We will be closing Group Seating soon, so if you have a group get it in ASAP!

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    There is no seating reservation process for non-groups. BYOC seating for individuals is first come first served when you get to PAX. This is, of course, assuming you have a BYOC pass.

Good to Know. TY.

• Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Happy 25th birthday to.....

AnowLki.jpg

Jonoseel on
    Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    mijit88mijit88 Registered User regular
    http://tagpro.koalabeast.com/

With pax schedule up I hope BYOC is coming soon, THIS GAME NEEDS TO BE INVOLVED!

• Options
    RooslinRooslin Registered User regular
    Is wireless available in the byoc?

My brothers bringing his surface pro which doesn't have an Ethernet port.

• Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The entire BCEC has wireless, including BYOC. Myself and several others have found it to be just about useless at PAX, although the few times it did work, it worked well (interestingly, one year the issue was simply that they ran out of IPs from the private class B they were using). Don't expect it to work well for you. You may not plug a wireless router or any other sort of ethernet to wireless converter into the BYOC network, and the BYOC network is not integrated at all with the BCEC network. Any such device found will be disconnected and may be confiscated.

See if there's any way to get the surface to take a USB OTG adapter. If so, you could try some USB ethernet adapters and see what does and doesn't work. FWIW, you will only have one Ethernet port per station.

EDIT: As an alternative, if you can get your cellphone to work well at the BCEC (this will hugely depend on the carrier) turn on wireless hotspot. That could be a possible alternative to the BCEC WiFi, if you're stuck with WiFi only.

shepd on
  • Options
    As far as being on the BYOC network, no there is no wireless. If the intention is to LAN game, your brother may want to get a USB/Ethernet adapter.

• Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Has anyone tried carrying a PC with a closed-loop water cooling system on to a plane before? How did it go?

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    Has anyone tried carrying a PC with a closed-loop water cooling system on to a plane before? How did it go?

You have to check it in as luggage. I'd find a very padded suitcase.

Vapok
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Badges arrived today. Awesome sauce. Been working on a bathroom renovation and plumbing emergencies (main stack clogged) - PC no closer to done! :(

p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    And badges are starting to arrive!!!!!

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    My tickets also arrived!

A.Sabot on
    Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
  • Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    My badges and pax passes, plus my friend's as well! They are on their A game this year! :)

• Options
    All,

MAJOR changes to the seating plan and table layout. All Groups please take a look and send me any changes you wish to make.

We apologize about these late changes but they were out of our control.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    oh great badges are sent out I will have to be on the look out.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Dreggor wrote: »
    All,

MAJOR changes to the seating plan and table layout. All Groups please take a look and send me any changes you wish to make.

We apologize about these late changes but they were out of our control.
    In the new table layout image, there are two sets of rows labeled as I and J. I believe the topmost set is intended to be G and H.

Edit: also, the Omegas and Co, while listed, are not shown on the image.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular
    I wonder if I bring my Antec 900 build with the bad wiring job, if one of the guys as the PC-building panels could take it apart and show everybody how it SHOULD be put together using proper cable management and all that.

That said, I'm starting to lean towards bringing just the laptop instead. My group seems to be less interested in using the space as PAX approaches, and the logistics of shipping the desktop from Atlanta isn't pricing out well.

• Options
    Ok, Updated the chart again. Changed all the row letters and fixed the mistakes Zer pointed out.

I am sure I messed it up again, but I will let you folks take a look.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • Options
    mijit88mijit88 Registered User regular
    Maybe I am just an idiot but I did not notice changes to the table, at least not major

• Options
    mijit88 wrote: »
    Maybe I am just an idiot but I did not notice changes to the table, at least not major

Different number of rows, all groups have new row assignments.. I'd call it a pretty big change.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • Options
    sarysary 100% pure awesomesauce manchester, nhRegistered User regular
    Crap, good thing I caught this, as that's not going to work well for Omegas&Co. Emailing you. (Thanks in advance for your understanding)

Twitter: @seryseraphical

PAX East 2012 Omeganaut. Awesomest. Time. Ever.
  • Options
    akiboshiakiboshi Registered User regular
    Any new info on the unloading/PC Coat Check process? Looking to come in at 8AM to get the process wrapped up, but want to make sure everything's being watched as I park the car.

Also, are BYOC badge holdings going to need to wait in line to get in at 10AM with the rest?

• Options
    akiboshi wrote: »
    Any new info on the unloading/PC Coat Check process? Looking to come in at 8AM to get the process wrapped up, but want to make sure everything's being watched as I park the car.

Also, are BYOC badge holdings going to need to wait in line to get in at 10AM with the rest?

To my knowledge, the load in process has not changed from last year, neither has the time that BYOC attendees are allowed in. On Friday morning, BYOC will open around 8AM for early registration and setup. The "Coat Check" area will also be available and monitored by Enforcers. I"m also not expecting any issues with convention center staff. Though, some of that I have no control over.

The key points being:
    1) BYOC attendees should be let in around 8AM
    2) Con Center Staff are just trying to do their job
    3) Keep Calm and Carry Your PC Stuff On

Vapok
  • Options
    MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »

To my knowledge, the load in process has not changed from last year, neither has the time that BYOC attendees are allowed in. On Friday morning, BYOC will open around 8AM for early registration and setup. The "Coat Check" area will also be available and monitored by Enforcers. I"m also not expecting any issues with convention center staff. Though, some of that I have no control over.

The key points being:

So I take it there's still no designated entrance for us BYOCers bringing our stuff in on foot/via subway. I'd really enjoy not having to "wait in line like everyone else" or argue with a rent-a-cop while holding an 80 lb tower like I have the last three years, simply because I didn't arrive in a car. That's really the only sour note to the whole experience. Maybe post an enforcer at the skywalk entrance at the Westin or something to wave us through? Lower the window-washing lift so we can enter via roof access?

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • Options
    Malfeis wrote: »

The key points being:

So I take it there's still no designated entrance for us BYOCers bringing our stuff in on foot/via subway. I'd really enjoy not having to "wait in line like everyone else" or argue with a rent-a-cop while holding an 80 lb tower like I have the last three years, simply because I didn't arrive in a car. That's really the only sour note to the whole experience. Maybe post an enforcer at the skywalk entrance at the Westin or something to wave us through? Lower the window-washing lift so we can enter via roof access?

I'm staying at the Westin and will be bringing by PC in on foot. What entrance should I be using?

• Options
    MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Politician wrote: »

I'm staying at the Westin and will be bringing by PC in on foot. What entrance should I be using?

Last year, my group got waved off the front entrance (told to wait in line like everyone else), so we walked through the skywalk to the BCEC and were stopped by two guards. After about 15 minutes of calm discussion escalating to arguing, they finally called around and were told to let us in. So I'm sure you can/should use that route, but I'd wait to hear from Vapok to be sure there's not a better/preferred way.

Malfeis on
    PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • Options
    akiboshiakiboshi Registered User regular
    So the car-load-in process is to park at the Southwest Entrance, leave the goods at the PC check point and park. Get back and physically carry in. Sounds like a plan...

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Malfeis wrote: »

Let me check on this. In theory, you should be able to enter through North Lobby, but I can see how you might have been prevented if not everyone was on the same page.

Politician wrote: »

You should be coming through the Westin Sky Bridge. There has in the past been some disagreements on when that door opens and whether or not you can bring carts into Westin. For example, Westin wouldn't allow any type of cart, but the BCEC allows two wheeled carts. This has presented an issue before.

I have a message into the powers that be to make sure we can get ahead of any of these potential issues so that it's smooth sailing for everyone. I can't make promises, but know that I'm advocating for y'all. =)

akiboshi wrote: »
    So the car-load-in process is to park at the Southwest Entrance, leave the goods at the PC check point and park. Get back and physically carry in. Sounds like a plan...

Yeah, this is most definitely the recommended process. However, I need to caution that this is what happened last year and I'm only assuming that perhaps nothing has changed for this year. If I hear of any changes, Me and/or Dreggor will let everyone know.

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    14+-+1

p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    Glad I bought multiple seats. Triple 1080p homebrew monitor. Woo.

p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Nice ...

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    MrFett21MrFett21 Registered User regular
    Hey everyone,

I am pumped for this year since I finally got a BYOC badge. Anyway I noticed a bunch of groups for reserved seating and loved the names especially "My body is ready", classic.

Anyway I am about a 15 minute ride from the convention center as I live in Melrose and was wondering if any fellow BYOC people were in the area, and if so wanted to get together and carpool with the computer stuffs. My girlfriend is dropping me off and we have room for another if they were worried about leaving computer stuff while they park and didn't like that option.

Also if any groups want another person that plays primarily LOL/CS (soon titanfall) to sit with them let me know since I am the only person amongst my friends to have been able to purchase a BYOC badge.

See you all there

• Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    The setup is starting to look good Roger! Can't wait to see this monster at PAX!

signature.png
  • Options
    MrFett21 wrote: »
    ... I live in Melrose ...

Melrose, eh? I live near West Wyoming Station.

Vapok
  • Options
    MrFett21MrFett21 Registered User regular
    MrFett21 wrote: »
    ... I live in Melrose ...

Melrose, eh? I live near West Wyoming Station.

Nice man, I can't wait for PAX. Well hit me up if you wanna talk about organizing a ride etc. Ill message you details.