As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] MH4U is released!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    @TheGerbil‌ @Kuroi Ookami
    Are either of you hunting now?
    Drascin wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Hm. I never bothered much with Ivory Lagi before, but now I'm having to fight him a bunch. Mos of it is super easy, but I still haven't found a way to reliably dodge that area electroball thingy.

There really isn't a way to dodge it. If you're in it's field you're done for (even evasion +2 is not always able to get you out of it). The best you can reliably do is to stay out of that zone. Not easy I know but I try to stay right up close to him unless he's doing the AOE shock so he doesn't hit me with the ball.

I guess the thing is I have problems estimating what "the field" is, to keep outside. I don't really get how its shape works, so I can't really estimate correctly. It's a pain.

Thankfully, being gunning mean that that is basically the only atack that can hit me at all with any reliability, and the Rathalos Sundear with my new Agnaktor X armor (Normal Up, Fire Atk+2, Evasion+1, Steadiness+1, [Thunder Res]*, Flame Aura) makes really short work of Ivory, so most of the time I just take it to the chin and heal and power on through.

*Thunder res just being there for Ivory. It's five open slots, so it can be Evasion+2 or any 2/gem ability.

For the AoE, I believe it's 4 large shots that start with the spot where the shot hits, then 3 more in succession to clockwise, assuming the Ivory is the center of clock. As ranged, the easiest way I've found to fight him is to always stay the fuck away from him, and always keep moving counterclockwise. Less likely chance of getting hit. Always be ready to put your weapon away to emergency dive.
    Regularly I would shoot him a couple of times, move ~20 feet CCW, shoot, move ~20 ft CCW, rinse, lather, repeat.

Made a quick image in paint for you.
    Q4Dxgpb.png

That was amazingly helpful. Just understanding it was an arc that went clockwise was enough to turn hunting an I.Lagi from something that requires some hits in the face by definition to a thing I just Perfect'd just now.

Though with all this I kind of forgot what I was hunting the Lagis for ^^u.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    So, since I was perfecting Ivories in twenty minutes flat like they were nothing, I figured hey, I could try Cruel King of the Sea again!

On the plus side, I do last longer. On the con side, I discovered that this thing must have like double the HP of a normal Gold Crown G-Rank ILagi. Normally in the normal mission, my sixty Fire shots and about thirty-forty Normal 2s are enough to get it limping. Here, before I got triplecarted I shot nearly a hundred Fire shots and a good 150 Normal 2, plus poisoning it once and nine rapidfired Crags, into the thing and it didn't even break more than the claws.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    That's the same monster which I've been fighting for I don't know how long.
    He even destroyed several of us here like three times in a row. Because he's super large, he has a super large health pool as well as doing a ton more damage with his bullshit trolling moves. You really gotta be on your game, and you really need to have 4 people to be able to stand a change against him. You need all the people to do the damage. Also, poison the crap out of him. Like the other Lagis, poison does a ton of damage. Keep him poisoned as much as you can. I think the Rath LBGs let you poison him, so bring all your shots, and stuff to make more. And traps and bombs and everything.

• Options
    Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
    I hunt in the evenings before the bf goes to work. I also try to do weekends (he has Friday Saturday off), but Friday morning works so well because he's just gotten off work and isn't ready for bed yet. I'm not sure if we're hunting tonight, but if we are, we're doing I.Lagi again so I can have it count for me. Send me an invite on the Wii U if you haven't already, and I'll check for you/post here the next time we/I do a hunt.

3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
    Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
    Let me know if you add me on either.
  • Options
    Room set up. I'll be gathering for a while, then maybe some Rathalos hunts for mantles unless someone joins.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Gonna hunt for a bit with a lower ranked friend (he's working towards g-rank) if anyone wants to join us. My Wii U friend name is TheGerbil.

• Options
    You shoulda joined me. I quit because no one joined. Now it is time to sleep.

• Options
    You shoulda joined me. I quit because no one joined. Now it is time to sleep.

Yeah sorry. I didn't notice you were still on. Next bat time, next bat channel though.

• Options
    Tonight is the night! (to hunt monsters.) How bout in an hour or two we do that?

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Adding some hunters to show me the ropes...been ages since I dipped into the Wii version and I never did get very far.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    @TheGerbil‌
    Are you hunting now?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I'll start it up RIGHT NOW

edit: Rooms up.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    If you toss me your NNIDs I can probably get in on the action sometime, but I'm starting from scratch.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    My nintendo ID should be TheGerbil.

• Options
    Hey thanks for helping us out tonight in the hunts. I know high rank hunts aren't the most exciting, but I'm trying to get those two geared up so we can get them on up to G-rank.

• Options
    My NNID is bejamus.

And it was no problem at all. I was just angry at that first Brachy because I usually do pretty well against him.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I had a poor night hunting last night. It started out strong with my SnS setup but when I switched to my lance I started to suck.

No idea what that was all about as I have over 200 real hunts (the number is inflated in my guild card because I use a lance as my gathering weapon. I should probably change that to level out the numbers with mh4u) with lance and it shouldn't have been like that at all, especially on an A.Rath. I guess I just got used to the speed playstyle a bit too much.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    I had a poor night hunting last night. It started out strong with my SnS setup but when I switched to my lance I started to suck.

No idea what that was all about as I have over 200 real hunts (the number is inflated in my guild card because I use a lance as my gathering weapon. I should probably change that to level out the numbers with mh4u) with lance and it shouldn't have been like that at all, especially on an A.Rath. I guess I just got used to the speed playstyle a bit too much.
    Switching styles tends to throw me for a loop for the next few hunts as well. I should do it more often to get used to it.

• Options
    Anyone down for hunting this evening?

• Options
    Yes yes. This is what I want. After dinner. Let's say about an hour from now?

• Options
    Ok.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Doing some practice runs with Hammers since my final two solo arenas (Plesi and Rathalos) have that as a convenient overlap. This... is going to take some getting used to.

• Options
    Games up. World F Lobby 5. usual password.

• Options
    I must've missed ya or something. Oh well, played some games with my brother.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Whoooo! Solo Rathalos Arena quest down! It's just you and me now, Plesioth...

EDIT: DOWN GOES FISH-FACE! All arenas clear! Champion's Badge and Arena Trophy get!

And no, I'm not going for the Sword Saint Earring. I'm not that masochistic.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Gonna hop on for some hunts right now, doing some single player stuff but I will watch this thread. Post here if you want to hunt tonight.

• Options
    Alright, gonna try again today. If anyone wants to do any hunting let me know.

• Options
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Alright, gonna try again today. If anyone wants to do any hunting let me know.

I should be available most of the day.

• Options
    Okay, how about in about 45 minutes to an hour?

• Options
    Let me get in on this.

• Options
    That'll work. See you guys then.

• Options
    Room's open, @thegerbil!

• Options
    OMW

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Back, I am in out of town. Dang it!

e: Sense - I was sober and my post made none. I think it was supposed to be "Dang, I am out of town!"

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      We have space.

• Options
      Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
      edited April 2014
      I've been sick, but I'm kinda back... I'm having a possible hunt tonight between 9:30-10:00pm Central tonight. I think 8:30-9:00pm Eastern. Depending how I feel after the bf heads to work, I might do some hunting without him; so I may be on for a few hours.

*edit
      Not sure how that reads, but I don't mean a half hour hunt. that's my projected start time.

*edit 2

No go, headache has me downed.

Kuroi Ookami on
      3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
      Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
      Let me know if you add me on either.
    • Options
      Btw 9:30 CST is 10:30 EST. EST is an hour ahead of central. But I may be down for hunting then we shall see.

• Options
      Couple of us are hunting now, helping a friend through high rank, join on me, he didn't create it in the usual place.

• Options
      Oops. Forgot it was my room.

• Options
      Ah well. Such is life. Seemed most of us were done at that point but thanks for the hunts.