As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, November 4, 2013 - Abrocalypse

2»

• Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Mike posted on the front page in response to someone that was bummed about the regular newsposts for the Killer Instinct set. I've noticed this as well. Sadly, I think there's a part of my brain that's incredibly cynical about that sort of thing-- between KI and Krosmaster Arena, I had assumed that Mike's posts were now being used as a replacement for banner ads, since they said they wouldn't run any more ads after last year's Kickstarter campaign. Were that the case, I think I'd prefer the banner ads.

Speaking of which, when did they initially take the banners off the front page? We've gotta be coming up on the one-year mark soon.

Nijhazer on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Alternatively, I am going to advance the shocking idea that maybe Mike - on a site he cofounded no less - uses it to talk about things he actually likes.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Krosmaster, thankfully, is legit awesome.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Eh, it takes next to zero effort to skip over a newspost if it is one I have already seen to check to see if there are new ones under. People fuss about the silliest things. Sometimes I forget to check the newspost for a bit and him resposting stuff would let me catch it in such a scenario.

As for Krosmaster, G&T have always talked about whatever they are playing at the time. Gabe is playing a lot of Krosmaster so it came up a couple times.

Speaking of newsposts, I love Tycho's newspost about Sirlin and Chess 2. I think the status that Chess occupies in popular imagination is really interesting, considering the game has some pretty big issues from high end players. I almost get the feeling if Chess was to come out today that it would get tossed aside as a broken game. But Chess has been around for so long that people don't question it much at all. Though, the game has been "patched" quite a lot over the years.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Eh, it takes next to zero effort to skip over a newspost if it is one I have already seen to check to see if there are new ones under. People fuss about the silliest things. Sometimes I forget to check the newspost for a bit and him resposting stuff would let me catch it in such a scenario.

As for Krosmaster, G&T have always talked about whatever they are playing at the time. Gabe is playing a lot of Krosmaster so it came up a couple times.

Speaking of newsposts, I love Tycho's newspost about Sirlin and Chess 2. I think the status that Chess occupies in popular imagination is really interesting, considering the game has some pretty big issues from high end players. I almost get the feeling if Chess was to come out today that it would get tossed aside as a broken game. But Chess has been around for so long that people don't question it much at all. Though, the game has been "patched" quite a lot over the years.

I think it's just whining over nothing. If Mike and Jerry were posting about things the complainers liked all the time I'm sure it would be seen as no big deal, a non-issue. It's this misplaced sense of entitlement again "I don't like this, so you should do something else."

Mike is really enthusiastic about Pins and the collecting/trading community. And right now he is all about Krosmaster. Remember when they were on a huge WoW kick? Or Crimson Skies?

• Options
    I wish Gabe wasn't super pumped about Krosmaster.

Because it is getting me pumped about Krosmaster.

My girlfriend saw me looking at the game online and said the figures were really cute.

Send help.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    With regards to the news post. I'll second Sirlin as a guy with some great ideas that's also a jerk.

I really adore Yomi, which is his attempt at putting a 1v1 fighting game into card form and basically becomes a slightly more complex version of rock paper scissors. He definitely views games very much from the point of view of something competitive that must be played to win which can make him difficult to talk too but his games are all great.

Though I was not the least bit sympathetic for 'Yomi costs three times what equivalent games cost because my precious baby must be printed on high quality poker cards and have art done by some famous Japanese guy'.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    Mike posted on the front page in response to someone that was bummed about the regular newsposts for the Killer Instinct set. I've noticed this as well. Sadly, I think there's a part of my brain that's incredibly cynical about that sort of thing-- between KI and Krosmaster Arena, I had assumed that Mike's posts were now being used as a replacement for banner ads, since they said they wouldn't run any more ads after last year's Kickstarter campaign. Were that the case, I think I'd prefer the banner ads.

Speaking of which, when did they initially take the banners off the front page? We've gotta be coming up on the one-year mark soon.

I'd rather have in-page ads than promotional newsposts. Ads don't show up in my RSS feed and make me think there might be something I care about.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    With regards to the news post. I'll second Sirlin as a guy with some great ideas that's also a jerk.

I really adore Yomi, which is his attempt at putting a 1v1 fighting game into card form and basically becomes a slightly more complex version of rock paper scissors. He definitely views games very much from the point of view of something competitive that must be played to win which can make him difficult to talk too but his games are all great.

Though I was not the least bit sympathetic for 'Yomi costs three times what equivalent games cost because my precious baby must be printed on high quality poker cards and have art done by some famous Japanese guy'.

I'm a big fan of Flash Duel.

Even if he did blatantly still the mechanics of En Garde and basically tweak one thing and then tack powers on top of it. It's a ton of fun. Though it might be a stretch to actually call it his design.

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    JackdawGin wrote: »
    Chickeen wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Hey house dwellers

Maybe next time not do such a shitty job boarding up the windows

bros
    I decided those are supposed to be reflections on the glass. I dunno.

That was my take. Why board up the windows? How will you get your sweet, cheesy Doritos locos tacos then?

The windows are not boarded up. Slats of wood have been placed diagonally into them to prevent the window from being opened from the outside. A lot of frat houses and houses that rent out rooms off of a campus can tend to be in sketchy neighborhoods. A friend of mine was going to U. of Cincinnati and he and some friends went in together to rent a house off campus. When they showed up to check the house out, he realized that every window on the first floor had been nailed shut to prevent people from breaking in.

• Options
    HeavyPHeavyP Registered User regular
    JackdawGin wrote: »
    Chickeen wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Hey house dwellers

Maybe next time not do such a shitty job boarding up the windows

bros
    I decided those are supposed to be reflections on the glass. I dunno.

That was my take. Why board up the windows? How will you get your sweet, cheesy Doritos locos tacos then?

The windows are not boarded up. Slats of wood have been placed diagonally into them to prevent the window from being opened from the outside. A lot of frat houses and houses that rent out rooms off of a campus can tend to be in sketchy neighborhoods. A friend of mine was going to U. of Cincinnati and he and some friends went in together to rent a house off campus. When they showed up to check the house out, he realized that every window on the first floor had been nailed shut to prevent people from breaking in.

I think you're thinking about this too hard. It's a diagonal stripe across the window, a common visual representation to denote that there is a glass pane and not just a blank opening.

• Options
    calamityjamiecalamityjamie Corgi Wrangler Seattle, WARegistered User staff
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Alternatively, I am going to advance the shocking idea that maybe Mike - on a site he cofounded no less - uses it to talk about things he actually likes.

Yeah, no ad conspiracies here. Mike paid a whole lot of his own real dollars to sink deep into Krosmaster, and their enthusiasm about the pin sets is akin to kids on Christmas. I always like that Mike tries to pop photos into his posts- makes it easier to skim and see if it's something I'm interested in.

• Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    this is still an awesome stoner comic, stoner comics are my favorite <3<3<3, I need to figure out Kromaster more too

• Options
    lordlundarlordlundar Registered User regular
    And the only thing I can think of after reading that was "nothing of value was lost."