As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] Syndicate is out and is apparently pretty damn good

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Rogue definitely looks to have everything I loved about Black Flag but with a more interesting concept and setting. And I definitely wanted more Black Flag.

Wouldn't be surprised if I ended up enjoying it more than Unity.

Snowy enviroments. <3

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Well I'll tell ya one thing I saw in the naval video that guaranteed my purchase at some point.

Rope darts don't cost ammo when you use them to face plant someone for a manual ground stab.

They cost in BF.

Used to only cost if you used them as a counter.

I missed their opness so much in my single player game.

Hope that makes it to release.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I have this weird suspicion that Rogue may not have any big cities in it...or maybe no cities at all, and just port towns and trading posts.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    They mentioned three cities. One of which is New York.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Eh. New York wasn't that interesting until the mid to late 1800s.

I want a Victorian era AssCreed. Set it in Meiji Restoration/Boshin War/Satsuma rebellion Japan and hit two birds with one stone, a Japanese AssCreed and a Victorian one.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    New York will probably be ported from AC3. I assume Rogue takes place during the time skip after AC3's prologue, given that Haytham is around.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    well the burnt bits probably wont be

Morninglord on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So, very old news but apparently Travis Stout is the Lead Writer on the Unity Single Player.

(NWN2 Act 2, Alpha Protocol (Taipei, Steven Heck), Fallout: New Vegas (Raul, Lily, half of Old World Blues)

Will be nice to have him on a more story/characher focused game again after State of Decay.

C2B on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    New gameplay of Unity, walkthrough of a mission. Looking good. More freeform missions + more open environments and interiors is a great thing. was hoping to see some combat but it looks like he pretty much did all of this stealth.

http://youtu.be/nF9bO-tPxKE

Those are some awfully British/Irish/American sounding French people.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKWuR5LLpaU&amp;list=UUfB8dJdMxEofkcybwAskjqQ

@ 2:15

Interviewer to Dev

"Why English accents?

Note: I personally would prefer a French accent.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    New gameplay of Unity, walkthrough of a mission. Looking good. More freeform missions + more open environments and interiors is a great thing. was hoping to see some combat but it looks like he pretty much did all of this stealth.

Aren't they, though? Of all things, how is Ubisoft having difficulty getting ahold of French people?

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    It's deliberate. See interview I just posted for a full in depth explanation.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I learned from Les Mis that most lower class Frenchmen have cockney accents.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Aren't they, though? Of all things, how is Ubisoft having difficulty getting ahold of French people?
    "This is it. Everyone always complains about the suspiciously French-Canadian accents in our games. We're doing something about it now. I have taken the liberty of having every actor and actress in Montreal rounded up and placed in a Ubisoft internment camp in an undisclosed location up there in the frigid North. None of those poor bastards are going to see the light of day for three decades. No going back on it now. We couldn't use them if we wanted to. For once, the next Assassin's Creed game will have characters that sound as authentic as any random citizen of... uh... Francois! Where does the next Assassin's Creed take place?"

"France, sir."

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    But seriously, people complain a lot about french accents. See: people saying that the fake-french person in DA had a fake accent, when the VA was really french

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    You know what accent is ALWAYS horrible?

English-german accents, as in german people speaking english as their second languge. I've never seen it done right, and it's not even hard :P

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Don't you know that people from the past always had English accents?

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Eh. New York wasn't that interesting until the mid to late 1800s.

I want a Victorian era AssCreed. Set it in Meiji Restoration/Boshin War/Satsuma rebellion Japan and hit two birds with one stone, a Japanese AssCreed and a Victorian one.

Oh, I don't know. I don't mind the idea of a New York that existed before it started being NEW YORK, NEW YORK. That's cool too, of course, but the first American metropolis' early years are underrepresented.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Am I the only one competently disinterested in a ninja Assassin's Creed?

The Idea just seems like its been done before. There a lot more eras in history I would like to see.

• Options
    edited August 2014

English-german accents, as in german people speaking english as their second languge. I've never seen it done right, and it's not even hard :P

One of my friends is multi lingual (English base). He learnt french then german.

He speaks french with a slight german accent.

It's really quite disconcerting.

He's got the flow but also occasionally some of the harshness slips in there.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Don't you know that people from the past always had English accents?
    In other words, "The Animus did it."

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It's also possible they do it partly because more people will be able to more easily understand it that way. But that doesn't sound very PC so "It's the animus.".

• Options
    edited August 2014
    They do it because you don't hear your own language as an accent and the animus is supposed to translate that experience.
    They stated that the ambient dialogue would be native french and that the main characters would say French words similar to how Ezio used to use Italian words occasionally.

I know everybody hates the animus and all but unfortunately they don't. They actually quite like it. They treat it seriously. They even consider it when designing!

I know, weird.

Luckily, being Australian, I'll get the European edition! Which usually has French language option among others.

I'll just turn that on.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    They do it because you don't hear your own language as an accent and the animus is supposed to translate that experience.
    They stated that the ambient dialogue would be native french and that the main characters would say French words similar to how Ezio used to use Italian words occasionally.

I know everybody hates the animus and all but unfortunately they don't. They actually quite like it. They treat it seriously. They even consider it when designing!

I know, weird.

Luckily, being Australian, I'll get the European edition! Which usually has French language option among others.

I'll just turn that on.

But

Ezio

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Well of course it's really convenient but that doesn't mean it's the better choice.

I know I liked the sections of AC III that had dialogue in native american just as much, if not better, as any other section.

One of my friends is multi lingual (English base). He learnt french then german.

As long as I don't hear myself talk I'm thinking my English doesn't sound too bad (and I actually have the grades to reflect it)

But play back a single recording of me talking english and I can hear the german accent in almost every word.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    I feel like it's a bit late in the series to say that the Animus erases foreign accents, considering every single previous AC game. At least the ambient dialogue will be in French. The bits and pieces of local language have always been one of my favourite parts of the series. Hell, it's even educational! If an assassin ever chases me in Italy or any Spanish-speaking country, I know exactly what to yell!

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKWuR5LLpaU&amp;list=UUfB8dJdMxEofkcybwAskjqQ

@ 2:15

Interviewer to Dev

"Why English accents?

Note: I personally would prefer a French accent.

Didn't Ezio and everyone else have an Italian accent?

What a lame/dumb answer.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Definitely weird that they're giving that character an English accent. I'm sure it'll be fine and easy to forget about, but yeah...Ezio. On the other hand, the original AC featured an Altair speaking English with an American accent. On the other other hand, they gave Altair an accent in Revelations.

Well of course it's really convenient but that doesn't mean it's the better choice.

I know I liked the sections of AC III that had dialogue in native american just as much, if not better, as any other section.

As long as I don't hear myself talk I'm thinking my English doesn't sound too bad (and I actually have the grades to reflect it)

But play back a single recording of me talking english and I can hear the german accent in almost every word.

I personally think German accents can sound pretty awesome, although I am impressed any time I meet a German who has managed to sound like an American. I remember briefly meeting a young German professor in college who had no discernible German accent until he spoke one specific word in a slightly different manner.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I know, weird.

I'll just turn that on.

But... the majority of players with the English language edition are Americans. British accents are just as foreign. But, you know, the wrong kind of foreign.

It's using something that's supposed to make things more immersive and making it more distancing! It's so dumb, even aside from the fact all the modern day stuff in Assassin's Creed is poo-gas.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Just play the game in French with English subtitles. That's how I'm rolling.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Don't direct your responses to me. I'm not defending that argument. I'm just presenting it, warts and all. I'm doing what CaptainNemo is doing so it doesn't concern me at all.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Meh. I'll be fine either way.

What's more important to me is gameplay additions/enhancements. The "Blackbox" type sections look really intriguing to me - reminds me a little bit of Dishonored, what with the lockpicking and the ability to snatch keys.

I almost wonder if that means there will be a level creator...

steam_sig.png

• Options
    All I know is I'm going to figure out the cheapest way to obliterate Assassin's without them getting off any of their shit.

There's always some way to kill anything cheap and fast in these games.

• Options
    All I know is I'm going to figure out the cheapest way to obliterate Assassin's without them getting off any of their shit.

Well stealth (smokebombs, hiding spot assassinations, air assassinations, double back assassinations) has been overpowerd as fuck in all games so far and they haven't announced any significant changes to that, so that'd be my first instinct.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The cynic in me wonders just how many blackboxes are actually in game. Also, as someone pointed out in another thread, it's weird that Arno's name is in the hud. The optomist in me hopes this means that alternate characters might be playable, like Elise.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options

Well stealth (smokebombs, hiding spot assassinations, air assassinations, double back assassinations) has been overpowerd as fuck in all games so far and they haven't announced any significant changes to that, so that'd be my first instinct.

I was thinking more of the ol kick, attack, kick, kill cheapness in Brother hood. Or the op fist shenanigans in Revelations that let you clean up any number of those green super guards bare handed. Or this in AC IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX20Gg-Ik24

You know.

Tricks.

• Options
    BremaineBremaine Registered User regular
    I am a bit more interested in Unity, mainly because there's no boating that kind of takes away from the main game. Don't get me wrong, having ship battles was fun in IV, but I kind of got bored with it and I feel it'd be much of the same in Rogue. Either way I'll be getting Rogue at some point and hopefully Unity whenever I can get a new gen console.

• Options
    Well, I do hope that they try to promote Rogue somehow, beyond "there are this many PS3 units that use the PSN network an average of at least once a week, and based on their profile info we can count on at least X of them as wanting another Assassin's Creed before they get a next gen machine."

I want to get hyped about Rogue. It might be the last PS3 game I buy new, from a store, before going PS4 next summer.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hey all, I am playing ACIV for the first time! If anyone still plays on PS4, add me. ;D

DRX-777

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Saw a Unity demo at FanExpo Canada today and good goddamn did it look gorgeous. The light shining off the stain glass windows in Notre Dame, so pretty. Hopefully it looks that nice on its final hardware, too.

Also, Arno did a slide into a guard, hooked the guy's leg, and knocked him over. Sweet.

SwashbucklerXX on